Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Is it paper jam ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thousand year door

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

thousand year door

thanls. im done with the topic now but maybe other people can use it to post memes in or something.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Super Mario RPG, op.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

a Loving Dog posted:

Super Mario RPG, op.

This. Thousand Year Door is a close second though

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TTYD is the most charming but Paper Jam is the best game because it's actually hard

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

paper jam would take it if it didnt have the dumb toad stuff imo

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Super Mario RPG is still the best. I love the art style and soundtrack, and it started the whole QTE in combat thing that the rest of them still use.

The same woman who did the soundtrack also did Street Fighter 2, Kingdom Hearts, Parasite Eve, all of the Mario & Luigi games and a lot of other good ones.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

uh yeah. who would have thought every game after the first one would keep things like combat the same?

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

trying to jack off posted:

uh yeah. who would have thought every game after the first one would keep things like combat the same?

I'm saying that it was innovative, fucker

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
i still tap buttons in non-mario rpgs because it's a better way to live, even if it doesnt do anything

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It should be a standard mechanic for all JRPGs, really.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Super Mario RPG > TTYD > Paper Jam (haven't finished yet) = Superstar Saga > Dream Team. Never played the others OP

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
The Mario & Luigi games are objectively better than the Paper Mario games.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bill Barber posted:

This except babies in time isn't

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Bill Barber posted:

". . ."

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

paper jam :unsmigghh:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

not really a fan of mario rpg tbh. TBH. papes mario 1 for n64 isn't so hot either.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

1000 Year Door is one of the best games ever made

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i wish they would port the drat game to eshop already stupid fucKers i don't have a gamecube nemore or a wii

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Bowser's Inside Story is high up on my DS to-do list

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

bowers inside story, the one with the aliens on advance [i think that's partners in crime ? idr] and paper jam aree all very good

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i once got in an argument w/Bleep in regards to the timed presses in Mario RPG games. poo poo got heated. I really like the timed presses

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

I forgot about BIS. Put that equal to Paper Jam and Superstar Saga

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i once got in an argument w/Bleep in regards to the timed presses in Mario RPG games. poo poo got heated. I really like the timed presses

I'm a big fan of the hidden Stylish ones in TTYD

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Inside Story, like every other Mario & Luigi title, suffers from Nintendo Baby Vidyaids. They are incredibly slow with endless unnecessary tutorials. I could never get beyond the first few hours of any of those games.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the first few hours of paper mario 64 are brutal for this. you dont even get the drat press commands for a while so youre just watching mario slowly jump on everything, and save for a few optional bosses the game is very afraid of killing you or giving you any real challenge at all

paper jam however, gives you a couple of goombas and koopas at the start 2 get you used to the rhythm of the game and almost immediately takes the gloves off. the bosses especially are extremely demanding

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All the tutorials in paper Jam are also disabled by default and kept in a separate menu so you don't have to actually deal with any of them if you don't need to which is a nice touch. It's the only M&L I've played since the original GBA ones so I don't know really know how that compares to the rest of the series

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i don't remember there being a lot of tutorials in inside story but the game came out like 7 or 8 years ago and i'm senile :henget: dream team or whatever was really bad with the tutorials tho from what ppl said i never played it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder what the longest tutorial section is. Probably DQ7 which has 25+ hours before they unlock the job system for you. That game has like 3 or 4 hours before you even fight a slime

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

I wonder what the longest tutorial section is. Probably DQ7 which has 25+ hours before they unlock the job system for you. That game has like 3 or 4 hours before you even fight a slime

the intro to persona 4 was like 2 or 3 hours long before u fight nething but it wasn't really a tutorial it was giving u the feels

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Depending on how you measure it, the tutorial zone is almost the whole game in FF13

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
First time I played DQ7 in 2001 or whatever it was nearly 30 hours before I got the job system

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The instruction manual also promised the ps1 dq4 remake was coming stateside. Fuckers

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Black Baby Goku posted:

The instruction manual also promised the ps1 dq4 remake was coming stateside. Fuckers

it came stateside on the nintendo ds :smugbird:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

The DQ7 world record is 15 hours long and the first fight is almost a half hour in

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

well gently caress i guess im not excited for dq7 on 3ds anymore

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well the game is like 100 hours long, so it's got kind of a slow pace all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Depending on how you measure it, the tutorial zone is almost the whole game in FF13

If you're a fool that skips the 50 hours of sidequests perhaps.

• Locked thread