Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

far better for the entire region to be destroyed under the weight of its incompetent bankrupt government I guess

yo that's entirely on us voters for putting in prop 13.

spud posted:

There is a major reason Scotland wants to stay in the EU so much....they seem to be unable to do anything other than rely on North Sea Oil and UK handouts :tinfoil:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/04/scottish-economy-grows-far-more-slowly-than-uk-as-a-whole

let's be honest though, would you want to stay in loving scotland if you had a choice? let them into the us as a territory and we'll get all their best and brightest to claim as our own, just like england has done for the last three centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Maoist Pussy posted:

California already has its own Texas. Its called the San Joaquin Valley.

anywhere you'd want to live in texas is way nicer than the san joaquin valley.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Maoist Pussy posted:

That's great, I'm glad you have nice things in Tejas, for real. We got some nice things, too.

I'm glad Cali is big enough to build things like high speed rail and poo poo like that. Making it smaller seems dumb.

Also, Sacramento is a fantastic city and its in the Valley.

lol I live in Cali dude, been living in the san joaquin valley in fact. most of it isn't as nice as Sacramento, it's pretty comparable to texas imo; but with more urban decay since places like stockton no longer are shipping hubs.

also making Cali smaller is dumb, only real problem with the state is that any new revenue has to be approved by the voters and getting people to vote for taxes is pretty much impossible.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

hm it's almost as if when you get a voting bloc that large over such a geographically and demographically disparate area coming to a consensus is exponentially harder

hm it's almost like the mistake was in requiring everyone to approve any new revenue, instead of doing it in the legislature like everywhere else.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

hm it's almost as if when you get a voting bloc that large over such a geographically and demographically disparate area coming to a consensus is exponentially harder

Also since prop 13 requires a 2/3rds majority it's really more of a case of setting the bar really high than anything else.

• Locked thread