Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I get an entry level IT job in this island and I might even get paid minimum wage, same job in the states would get me 14-15/h. A teacher starting out here gets like 22k a year, almost assuredly that teacher is also bilingual. Take the same job in Texas and they get around 50k. An engineer expects to get 30k a year here in the first few years and probably caps out at like 60k. An engineer in the states expects to start out at that range.

Same work, same currency, usually a higher cost of life do to utilities and groceries. The only things cheaper in here are education (because its publicly subsidized and not insane) and houses which are just not hyper inflated as they are in the states.

Why does anyone live there in this situation? 25c per kWh electricity, expensive groceries, and starvation wages? I'm assuming people contribute to social security as normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Let me guess you are googling and trying to find the average using that. That doesnt work like that here. Public school teachers get paid more on average here than private school ones unless the private school has some prestige to it.

I think this is the norm everywhere? I know that public teachers make more money than private school teachers in Texas for sure.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The 21k is for a public teacher. Thats literally what they get paid starting out. Imagine getting paid even less. Now if you google in English asking what the average teacher salary is in puerto rico you get like 50k. Thats not the reality of it.

All that I was saying is that public school teachers make more than private. In central Texas you're looking at starting high 40s low 50s for public school teachers, and more like mid 30s for private school teachers.

• Locked thread