Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

*writes a massive effort post about why this island loving sucks and we deserve everything we get*

Nice Meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Baloogan posted:

I kinda want to live somewhere in america where I can own handguns, where liquor is cheap, where the cost of living is cheap and overall low crime

also being white (really, really painfulyl white) is okay

can peuto rico be the new balooganhq?

You can own guns in the island legally, its just probably the most expensive place to get them thanks to all the hoops you have to jump to get one. Crime is pretty rampant right now, specially in the metro and surrounding areas. Cost of living hahahahaha its way more expensive to live here than it is in the states. Groceries are more expensive since everything needs to be shipped here, electricity is massively expensive, like 25 cents a kwatt. And god help you if you dont have an AC when the summer gets really going and it rains for 10 minutes to get the humidity to 100%.

People dont care if you are extremely white if you speak the language. Ive seen dudes over here that look like they came from germany but open their mouths and sound like a jibaro from 2 centuries ago. If you dont then you are branded a gringo. Basically you get treated the same but now have a nickname.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mrit posted:

I have always wanted to visit Puerto Rico as my Spanish professor was from there, we heard many stories.
What is your opinion about the bill? I think it sucks, and the minimum wage garbage should be removed, but if it was the only way to stave off bankruptcy...

Its a bad bill, hastily done to try and salvage the island before it loving destroys itself. But what can you do? The governor has been complaining that it was going to happen but at the same time kept all information to himself without actually opening the islands financial books. Why? Who knows probably a bunch of no bid contracts to family and friends like every other governor.

Menendez amendments were a none starter. Of course they werent going anywhere, like 95% of the politicians in here self identify as democrats. Why would the republicans willingly sign off their majority in the Junta by allowing our politicians to assign two additional seats to it?

People in here are scared of the thing because gringos are gonna come in here and tell us what to do. I'll say I'd rather have Full Colony Now than staying with the status quo, just wish it wasnt under the current republicans.

Fast Luck posted:

imo there was never a chance Congress was never gonna let PR's creditors down.

A lot of the debt is own by puerto ricans too. You know, because our governor forced the co-ops to buy debt.

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Jun 30, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

tsa posted:

The us median hourly wage is 18 per hour while the Puerto Rico is 9. It would be like using the same min wage for Norway as Poland.

I get an entry level IT job in this island and I might even get paid minimum wage, same job in the states would get me 14-15/h. A teacher starting out here gets like 22k a year, almost assuredly that teacher is also bilingual. Take the same job in Texas and they get around 50k. An engineer expects to get 30k a year here in the first few years and probably caps out at like 60k. An engineer in the states expects to start out at that range.

Same work, same currency, usually a higher cost of life do to utilities and groceries. The only things cheaper in here are education (because its publicly subsidized and not insane) and houses which are just not hyper inflated as they are in the states.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

tsa posted:

Interestingly enough it ain't the professional leaving, it's the uneducated (because in part what extremely high min wage laws <relative to economic productivity> cause massive unemployment.) The best way to do this is on the backend through welfare, as it's much less distorting. Of course pr doesn't have the money for that either.

Regardless min wage laws aren't magic like some seem to think, and pr is a pretty good case study in why that is.
I dont get what you are saying. Are you saying PR doesn't have good welfare? Bro, people get free healthcare, heavily subsidized housing and utilities. Unemployment pay isnt as big as it is on some states, but everything else is way better.

tsa posted:

Also 'the same work' is probably a stretch, Puerto Rico schools are pretty lovely compared to the US. The best school is equivalent to a crappy state school you never heard of and it gets much worse from there.

Edit : just did a quick look, I don't think those income numbers are correct, I'm seeing much higher numbers for professionals.
Let me guess you are googling and trying to find the average using that. That doesnt work like that here. Public school teachers get paid more on average here than private school ones unless the private school has some prestige to it. The base pay for a public school teacher on the island right now is 1,750. Thats like 21k a year. You need to have a bachelors in the field you are teaching as well as other generalist teaching certificates.

The starting salary for a nurse with a bachelors is 2.5k a month or 30k a year. This is by our laws the least you can pay one working on the private sector, so guess what thats what they get paid. The average in most states is more than twice that.

Also dont give me that gently caress about Universities. UPRs are all rated really well and cost a fraction of what other universities would have you pay.

e- Another example, a chief at my unit works at HP as a software engineer. He has decades of experience, he's a cw3 in the army and currently leads one of the teams in a multi state group to develop an inhouse software solution for the company. He gets paid like a third of what he would if he was working in the states. The only reason why he hasn't moved already is because his wife doesn't want to leave the island (he's from georgia originally).

A friend finished his bachelors in electric engineering and went to honeywell to get a job, starting pay was 30k. Left for texas and started getting paid over twice that. Another finished a bachelors in english and teached over here for 2 years before moving to texas. Got paid 21k here, 52k in texas.

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Jun 30, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I think this is the norm everywhere? I know that public teachers make more money than private school teachers in Texas for sure.

The 21k is for a public teacher. Thats literally what they get paid starting out. Imagine getting paid even less. Now if you google in English asking what the average teacher salary is in puerto rico you get like 50k. Thats not the reality of it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mrit posted:

What do you think can be done to prevent debt issues from happening again? Is it solely the corruption on the island causing these issues?
And why is pay so low in Puerto Rico, is it just a factor of too many people, not enough jobs?

Seriously, I dont know. Corruption has definitely left its mark, general incompetence and bad decisions by our governments investment bank has also played a big part of it.

Having public utilities and a public investment bank are great ideas if they are managed properly, instead they are a vehicle for whatever party is in control to do whatever it is they want. Its hosed up that they might do away with them but honestly, they are causing way more damage than what they are worth right now.

Having a VAT instead of a sales tax would do a lot to bring money back into the system, because right now a lot of it is underground. Of course we had the chance to implement a vat 10 years ago but the party in power at the time was the one that liked statehood and welp the states use sales taxes so we'll get a sales tax too hurrr.

Every flight I've had when I come from the states to PR has been jam packed with people. Like half of them are puerto ricans coming back from holidays or whatever but it always surprises me just how many people come to this loving island. If we actually developed our tourist industry it would create a lot of jobs. Instead we loving wreck our own beaches, chase people off with our horrible driving that seem to claim a tourist bicyclist every other week and now people aren't applying everything we've known about dengue to zyka so we have an outbreak of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

*writes a massive effort post about why this island loving sucks and we deserve everything we get*

Nice Meltdown

• Locked thread