Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

imo there was never a chance Congress was ever gonna let PR's creditors down.

Continuously dumping money in a dumpster fire doesn't accomplish anything unfortunately,see also Greece.

Vox Nihili posted:

What the gently caress? What could possibly be the justification for that? That's not even austerity, it's just pissing in their face for no real purpose.

The us median hourly wage is 18 per hour while the Puerto Rico is 9. It would be like using the same min wage for Norway as Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
No it doesn't. A min wage massively out of line with the productivity and economic output of the country causes more harm than good.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
poo poo why not raise it to 15 by your logic. Prosperity will surely erupt!

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I get an entry level IT job in this island and I might even get paid minimum wage, same job in the states would get me 14-15/h. A teacher starting out here gets like 22k a year, almost assuredly that teacher is also bilingual. Take the same job in Texas and they get around 50k. An engineer expects to get 30k a year here in the first few years and probably caps out at like 60k. An engineer in the states expects to start out at that range.

Same work, same currency, usually a higher cost of life do to utilities and groceries. The only things cheaper in here are education (because its publicly subsidized and not insane) and houses which are just not hyper inflated as they are in the states.

Interestingly enough it ain't the professional leaving, it's the uneducated (because in part what extremely high min wage laws <relative to economic productivity> cause massive unemployment.) The best way to do this is on the backend through welfare, as it's much less distorting. Of course pr doesn't have the money for that either.

Regardless min wage laws aren't magic like some seem to think, and pr is a pretty good case study in why that is.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Also 'the same work' is probably a stretch, Puerto Rico schools are pretty lovely compared to the US. The best school is equivalent to a crappy state school you never heard of and it gets much worse from there.

Edit : just did a quick look, I don't think those income numbers are correct, I'm seeing much higher numbers for professionals.

tsa has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Jun 30, 2016

• Locked thread