Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

!Klams posted:

Oh poo poo, I've done a total 180 on this and think instead that Mk4 is the greatest thing ever, and am HYPE once more!

Because apparently, some dude bought a bunch of Cephalyx stuff on mail order and was like "Please release their rules soon!" and got a handwritten message on his invoice saying "I'm sure they'll get rules for all 3 of their casters soon enough!" with the 3 underlined, so it wasn't a typo, and was in fact, a juicy spoiler! AW YISS. (God I am so easily bought).

Confusingly, this happened, without me noticing, ages ago. We kind of got two new casters, because what actually happened was a new Mortenebra came out and she works for Cryx or Cephalyx, and then sensibly Gaspy1 will also work for them now, too.

I'm not going to talk about how after they dropped pistol wraiths from Cephalyx I sold all my cryx and then they added them back in and now this, instead I'm going to rejoice, and play some games!

Actually got some games in the diary, this is wild. Any tips for someone going back in, having not played in forever? What's the easiest way to learn to play mk4 without just assuming the old wrong rules? Is there a convenient list of things that work differently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://community.privateerpress.com/t/returning-players-guide/1675

I think that's exactly what you want.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
One of my local stores had a ton of House Dusk Kallyss core boxes, I think from ding and dent, and they finally got marked down to $70 each, so I picked one up. Murder elves are back on my table!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Oh incredible, thank you!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Got excited reading this until seeing they did away with cards and force players into using a loving app to play.

I'm sure it's mega convenient in comparison, but I'm leery of poo poo that can be pulled out from under me, especially if I'm buying expensive toys for it, and especially especially with Privateer's history.

If it were optional, I would be game, but the post makes it clear it is not. It's a shame, my wife was just lamenting to me the other day how she'd like to play again.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

DicktheCat posted:

Got excited reading this until seeing they did away with cards and force players into using a loving app to play.

I'm sure it's mega convenient in comparison, but I'm leery of poo poo that can be pulled out from under me, especially if I'm buying expensive toys for it, and especially especially with Privateer's history.

If it were optional, I would be game, but the post makes it clear it is not. It's a shame, my wife was just lamenting to me the other day how she'd like to play again.

I do know what you mean, but at the same time, being able to pull stuff from under me was, I think 'worse' when it happened before and it just meant your cardboard was wrong

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
On the point of paper copies, in November of 2022, they said that the app would support printing, eventually:

quote:

Q: When will the cards be printable?

A: Card-printing capability was a late addition to our development plan, so while we are committed to providing print capability, we currently cannot accurately forecast the timeline for availability.

18 months later, no sign of that feature. My phone's battery is garbage and I play infrequently enough that I need to check the stats for every unit every time, so I really hope they actually do this

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Played a couple of games, the games great! Played Thexus into Locke (Convergence) and Cyphon into Bearka (troll bloods). I actually won both games, but I think in no small part just due to remembering my army better / my only differences being buffs.

When I first saw the new unit rules, I thought there were bits I didn't like / were bad. Playing them though, I actually think this is the best implementation of units in a table top game.

Them being limited to 5 or 6 models means you don't have so much to physically move. You can still get huge amounts of troops on a table if that's your thing but it's all just much more manageable and easier to read. Moving one and then putting the rest within 2 sounded like heresy. The first time you do it though, you're like "oh wait, this is actually the way I usually do it..." it's just that they can fudge around a bit. The cohesion rules feel sensible, and combined with the new AoE rules mean that templates are just not needed, so those new rules feel good too. I do miss spray templates, but actually all of this stuff speeds things up so much you just have to concede it's better.

I thought I'd hate the cards, having to remember all the gotchas, but I think that was just me having flashbacks to grimkyn, in practice, these things aren't really gotchas, they just let you do 'the thing' that you can almost do, they just make thinking about your big turn a lot easier.

"if I just had ONE more focus" "If only I was in range" etc etc. They just let you DO the cool stuff you wanna do, and the fact it's a one off card means it's not as if you can think like 'I don't care about knockdown because of this card" etc.

That's said, I think 5 is too many. I think it should be just 3. It felt for all of us like choosing them weren't meaningful choices.

Overall though I liked all the changes to the game more than I thought I would. It's just a shame they're so bad at marketing it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

DicktheCat posted:

Oh, sorry, one last thing actually, was that, I used to use war room and found it pretty good. The new app is kinda the same, the rules stuff is a bit quicker to load than the old insanely slow pdf, but actually linking to the rules is really bad and annoying.

Its a small thing really, because eventually I'll know the rules and then the app is just fine. But for it to be the only source of rules, no book to reference, and be this bad, is pretty inexcusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
oo! was the app always available on desktop? cos i just downloaded it from https://home.privateerpress.com/warmachine-mkiv/ and it's the full fucken thing and i can finally read the lore without squinting and it's fucken great.