Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Once we know the measurements people will just make their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
The trouble their is PP is declaring that homemade walls/barrels/traps/firepits aren't legal for official events. It's the $20 per pack or nothing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah but there are very few of those to begin with. So a few people who care might end up needing to buy some but most people will get by with whatever at their local events in the mean time and then purchase some if they feel like going to something official. It's stupid either way, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't imagine ever buying them personally, but this is a pretty naked attempt to milk the whales.

Especially in light of "ayo you can't make your own."

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

S.J. posted:

Yeah but there are very few of those to begin with. So a few people who care might end up needing to buy some but most people will get by with whatever at their local events in the mean time and then purchase some if they feel like going to something official. It's stupid either way, though.

I'm willing to bet all the major con tournaments will stick with the official line on this, and that'll trickle down to whatever competitive scene is left these days

S.J.
May 19, 2008

They certainly might! I'm not too chuffed personally, but it's a really stupid thing for sure. At this point I'm almost writing the game off until the end of the year and we see what the actual scene looks like with up to date lists and options.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The big events still running Warmachine games is, itself, a worthy basis for a bet.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Was anyone else stupid and/or impulsive enough to but a Mk IV set? I was expecting that since these are 3D printed that the sockets would be designed just deep enough to hold the magnets exactly but that is apparently not the case. I'm wondering if gluing along the rim is enough or I need to partially fill the socket with putty to get the magnet flush.

They also didn't give me enough magnets. It looks like whoever counted forgot that they gave the Dusk heavy a dorsal gun.

E: looks like I'm the one who's bad at counting.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 2, 2023

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I didn't buy in, but some of the people who did have magnet problems as well. Mispacks in general are rampant.

Edit:

Great news. It turns out, Privateer Press didn't create defences just to fleece their customers:

Matt Wilson posted:

On Defenses!
First I want to thank everyone who engages with me on here or other social media in order to better form and support our community. Also huge shoutout for the feedback from everyone at LVO who talked to the staff there. Your insights were super helpful. I took a lot of the concerns here directly to the top and wanted to share a response:
We understand that the introduction of Defenses has been met with concern and questions that haven’t been adequately addressed so far. We take these concerns to heart and are putting some additional work into the concept behind Defenses to address these concerns and put minds at ease. First and foremost, as always, we reserve the right to fix anything that is busted. We believe that Defenses are going to bring some new dimension to WARMACHINE, but if we actually do introduce something that royally screws up the game, we’re going fix it. However, the intention behind Defenses is to enhance the game with new, tactical and strategic opportunities, not force purchases or disadvantage anyone who doesn’t want to buy four sets of something (a notion we do not recommend). So, we are working on balancing Defenses for those who want to use them with advantages that require no additional models for those who don’t wish to use Defenses in an effort to maintain a level playing field that still allows us to innovate on the game. While Defenses will initially be offered in the assortment pack which was solicited a couple months ago, two months after their release we’ll be able to offer each different Defense for individual purchase online for anyone who feels they need more then one of a specific type. We’re currently in the process of sending out advance copies of Defenses and these rules revisions to play testers to get actual in-the-field feedback and we will share the results of this effort as well as the final rules through the WARMACHINE app well ahead of the release of the first Defenses pack so that whether you decide they’re worth including in your games or not, you’ll be able to make your decisions with all the available information.

They just decided to start selling defences, and the retail release is set up and going ahead no matter what, but now Privateer Press agrees they should play test them. They'll do so soon! And if it turns out defences break the game, they'll change the rules. At some point. Also, this is not some pay to win thing which requires players to buy multiple sets of models, including many they will never need, in order to not lose. Eventually players will be able to buy the models they need to not lose individually* *via direct order from Privateer Press at their inflated prices.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 2, 2023

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

PP really looking like Sideshow Bob and that yard full of rakes rn

moths
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

So, we are working on balancing Defenses for those who want to use them with advantages that require no additional models for those who don’t wish to use Defenses in an effort to maintain a level playing field that still allows us to innovate on the game.

The game straight-up defaulted to "buy all of them," but fine - we'll work on alternatives for you ungrateful weirdos who hate innovation.

This is not even slightly reassuring.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

moths posted:

The game straight-up defaulted to "buy all of them," but fine - we'll work on alternatives for you ungrateful weirdos who hate innovation.

This is not even slightly reassuring.

The fact that their response is "Don't worry, we're reasonable people!" is SO loving amateur.

I don't want reassurances that you'll come to compromises! Tell me "Shut up worms, we do this for A JOB, we've got a wealth of internal data that you don't, and we're telling you, it's gonna be great. We know best, but appreciate the enthusiasm."

Just saying, 'Oh hey maybe you're right, but we'll sort it out eventually' might as well just say" Oh gently caress, oops, too late'

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This is like the moment in Age of Sigmar history where factions were getting unique terrain pieces with their own rules, except everyone has to buy multiple copies and the people behind the idea are like "my 'we're not desperate for money' t-shirt is raising a lot of questions etc etc".

And now oddly enough GW doesn't make those anymore and most of them can be completely ignored.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

!Klams posted:

Just saying, 'Oh hey maybe you're right, but we'll sort it out eventually' might as well just say" Oh gently caress, oops, too late'

Yeah trying to split the difference confirms that 1) nobody is happy, and 2) they're aware nobody is happy but doing it anyway.

If they were just OP models that anyone could pay points for, a lot of people would have bought four sets and moved on. But some people would have made their own (because it's terrain,) and that's not how we do things at PP.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Maneck posted:

The big events still running Warmachine games is, itself, a worthy basis for a bet.

This weekend is CaptainCon, which evolved out of TempleCon, and was one of the biggest WMH events back in the day. The numbers pre registered for the Master’s qualifier and the New England Team Tournament do not look anywhere near good.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

head58 posted:

This weekend is CaptainCon, which evolved out of TempleCon, and was one of the biggest WMH events back in the day. The numbers pre registered for the Master’s qualifier and the New England Team Tournament do not look anywhere near good.

Got a buddy heading to this to play Marvel I was shocked to hear it was still going on and that anyone was still playing tournaments there.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

It’s spread into lots of other games in recent years - the 40K tournament is close to full - and it does a lot of board games and rpgs. But the drop off in WMH and the death of Guild Ball really hurt it.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The Deleter posted:

This is like the moment in Age of Sigmar history where factions were getting unique terrain pieces with their own rules, except everyone has to buy multiple copies and the people behind the idea are like "my 'we're not desperate for money' t-shirt is raising a lot of questions etc etc".

And now oddly enough GW doesn't make those anymore and most of them can be completely ignored.

Some of those AoS terrain pieces are awesome as models:

The Defences models previewed by Privateer Press look like something which could be found in a minute on Thingverse if devoting five minutes to finding cool designs was out-of-the-question.

Locally there's a guy who printed a bunch of terrain on his filament 3d printer. If you dropped his stuff on the table next to what Privateer Press previewed, I expect passers by would be shocked to learn which pieces were random .stl files from the internet and which were a physical product sold by a major game company.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
What blows my mind a bit here is that those PP-specific terrain pieces were pretty well loved - if PP did some nice Iron Kingdoms terrain it'd probably sell! They just had to couple it to the competitive game though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

xiw posted:

What blows my mind a bit here is that those PP-specific terrain pieces were pretty well loved - if PP did some nice Iron Kingdoms terrain it'd probably sell! They just had to couple it to the competitive game though.

1000 percent this. The old kits they made were sick.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Maneck posted:

The Defences models previewed by Privateer Press look like something which could be found in a minute on Thingverse if devoting five minutes to finding cool designs was out-of-the-question.

Locally there's a guy who printed a bunch of terrain on his filament 3d printer. If you dropped his stuff on the table next to what Privateer Press previewed, I expect passers by would be shocked to learn which pieces were random .stl files from the internet and which were a physical product sold by a major game company.

Yeah with gw ones a) you tend to get really nice piece of terrain you can use for anything b) only ones that were "required" were lizard pyramid and sylvaneth wyldwoods.

This I wouldn't want to use for anything once PP goes belly up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think the firepit looks ok, but it's more like something you would get in a scatter terrain kit than something that actually has rules

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Yeah with gw ones a) you tend to get really nice piece of terrain you can use for anything b) only ones that were "required" were lizard pyramid and sylvaneth wyldwoods.

This I wouldn't want to use for anything once PP goes belly up

Its a little mindblowing the tree kits are "required" for the sylvaneth but i think they rewrote those rules so you don't have to buy em, you can just point at the game club's out of scale medieval house and go "overgrown, counts as the trees" or something

i play the deepkin and i can count the number of times their shipwreck has been useful on precisely 0 fingers so ive been leaving it at home

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What is PP planning to charge for that terrain anyway, have they said that? Because the renders look ok for battlefield markers but not good if they're coming in at a high price.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Looks like $19.99 but there's no point in buying less than four if that's how many you can use.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
There's apparently even more terrain coming, and it's not as shabby looking as the stuff first announced.

https://home.privateerpress.com/2023/02/10/warmachine-terrain-guard-tower/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I really like that tower, tbh

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Dunno. Its not bad but its not anything to write home about. I probably can get good looking tower out of kromlech for half the price

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

can we get unique rules attached to terrain so a brick wall can be power crept by a slightly better brick wall

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
It's a cute little tower, and unlike some terrain makers, they actually designed it to be taken apart for models to be inserted; so that's a plus. I still just feel a bit confused, knowing that this is 3d resin printed. Ignoring all the back and forth controversy of their print work up until now, it just feels weirdly inefficient to use resin printers to make big boxy towers like this?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 11, 2023

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Eh, seems fine? There seems to be a decent amount of detail in the individual pieces.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
With maybe the exception of the Warjacks, all of the new Khador is just so bland and its kind of disappointing

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don’t really have issues with the tower, seems fine, just seems weird to be launching new terrain piece stuff while there is a lot to do on the core game. I guess it’s good to keep people who are playing interested.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

With maybe the exception of the Warjacks, all of the new Khador is just so bland and its kind of disappointing

I thought the new Mechanics looked pretty neat tbh. The regular infantry never really did anything for me one way or the other though, even back in the day.

e: Actually I like both of the Warcasters, I think. I like the idea of the new Man'o'wars but I don't like the look of the chain guns.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 11, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That and the barricades both have a very beginner vibe, which makes me wonder if some of their more professional 3D artists have jumped ship.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

miniscule12 posted:

can we get unique rules attached to terrain so a brick wall can be power crept by a slightly better brick wall

Coming soon from black anchor, heavy metal walls with warcaster feats

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

moths posted:

That and the barricades both have a very beginner vibe, which makes me wonder if some of their more professional 3D artists have jumped ship.

:agreed:

They look decent enough, but they're so "boxy," and lacking charm. There's no little flourishes that make it look like they've been hastily built on a battlefield, or that they've used for any amount of time.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Cygnar and Orgoth have been out for a month.

Has anyone actually played mk4?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Not me! There are plenty of people who are trying to get Mk. 4 to work here. There's still an unmistakable net migration out of the game. And for reasons which were widely expected.

The production and quality control problems which were inherent to the move to 3D printing have played out pretty close to what many predicted. New or returning players can't get in because it's hard to get new models and they're often breakage requiring replacement.

I personally have been caught in wrong model hell, which was also predicted as a problem. I can't field anything that makes sense with what I have built and painted. I had been relying on Gargantuan beasts to play in Mk. 3 and those currently have no rules. Coupled with bad guesses on what models would be included in armies and I'm currently not able to play. I got Zuriel ready to this summer go as the expected centerpiece of the Blighted Nyss list. This week he was omitted from new new Legion list, and with both Legion legacy prime armies out, that means he'll never be in Prime. He was the center of Children of the Dragon (the Nyss theme list) for a long time. He doesn't seem to pose any balance problems. The explanation is probably as simple as Privateer Press didn't want to spend an hour porting rules over. Argh.

I also painted up a Spawning Vessel because a) I think it's a cool model and b) Privateer Press expressly identified it would be in the cadre for Legion (i.e. the list of models which can be taken in any legacy army of that faction). Unfortunately, so far Cadres are completely missing, so it's another thing I got ready to go that I can't use.

Both of those are on top of 5 of the past 6 most recent Legion model releases not making it into either Prime army list, and 4 of the last 6 have no rules for Mark 4 whatsoever.

Which is to say I'm looking at the effort I made to try to be able to play a Mk. 4 game, looking at the models I do have ready but which I can't use, and feeling like I would have been much happier if I spent my time working on Crisis Protocol.

The game has also died in a few nearby pockets where it had survived. Regional tournaments are no longer happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I know there are people playing and having success with it, but it's gonna take a while for the tournament scene to happen at all because of the comparative lack of diversity, and because people are wanting to use new things. The big waiting lag for new and updated stuff to roll out is more likely to kill the game off than almost anything else at this point. Personally I haven't seen a problem getting the product into people's hands if stores are actually ordering it, replacement pieces notwithstanding. For lack of a better term the PP team needs a significant show of force at some decent sized events to get people into the idea of coming back to regular play, whether it's casual or competitive.