Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I guess I am going to repurpose my Ret army for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Oh poo poo, I've done a total 180 on this and think instead that Mk4 is the greatest thing ever, and am HYPE once more!

Because apparently, some dude bought a bunch of Cephalyx stuff on mail order and was like "Please release their rules soon!" and got a handwritten message on his invoice saying "I'm sure they'll get rules for all 3 of their casters soon enough!" with the 3 underlined, so it wasn't a typo, and was in fact, a juicy spoiler! AW YISS. (God I am so easily bought).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I guess if Cephalyx gets a full army and rules, I might pay attention because an army of horrors is pretty cool IMHO, but meh.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

!Klams posted:

Oh poo poo, I've done a total 180 on this and think instead that Mk4 is the greatest thing ever, and am HYPE once more!

Because apparently, some dude bought a bunch of Cephalyx stuff on mail order and was like "Please release their rules soon!" and got a handwritten message on his invoice saying "I'm sure they'll get rules for all 3 of their casters soon enough!" with the 3 underlined, so it wasn't a typo, and was in fact, a juicy spoiler! AW YISS. (God I am so easily bought).

This would be me if Dwarves, the new Elves are the only thing that has me kind of interested at the moment.

It's weird because I actually like the changes they've made to the game but I refuse to play any game unless a faction really grabs my attention and it hasn't quite happened yet, even though Storm Knights were one of my favorite aesthetics previously.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
So, uh, I own a sizable ret army. Will I be able to play mk4 using the miniatures I currently own?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Majkol posted:

So, uh, I own a sizable ret army. Will I be able to play mk4 using the miniatures I currently own?

If you've got a magic 8 ball, you could give it a good shake?

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.

Majkol posted:

Signs point to eventually.

Mark IV has options to play Legacy models (that is, stuff from MK III and earlier) but currently there's a lot of stuff that simply doesn't have rules. Privateer has said everything is supposed to at some point, but this entire thread has become a testiment to their hubris.

The plan is to have two modes; Prime and Unlimited. Prime will allow smaller subsets of legacy factions; basically themes for list building without bonuses. Right now, you've got Legions of Dawn, for example. Mage Hunters aren't options yet. This looks to be the method of play PP wants league to be, as they're supposed to be 'balanced.' Unlimited is Legacy only, everything from a given faction is fair game.

It does look like if you were into Strange Bedfellows or Flames in the Dark, you're SOL.

The Warmachine App is in open release on Android and Iphone. Rules, cards, and 6 local save slots are free; fluff and unlimited cloud saves are 5$/mo. It's listed as Warmachine App.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
New kickstarter is up for an Iron Kingdoms RPG expansion. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/privateerpress/iron-kingdoms-into-the-deep-wild-5e

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Still no playable Tharn, Skorne or even Efaarit :argh:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
There's an update on the Kickstarter but it's more of the same. And I mean that on several levels. Privateer Press added a $49 add-on as the Kickstarter hasn't moved much after passing 200,000 USD and they want it to move again. I'm not sure it's going to work. The add-on is a handful of models:

Which gives me the same feeling I've had about so much Privateer Press does these days: "Okay, it's fine to do that. Someone may want it."

Those models are resin versions of sculpts originally created for the Widower's Wood board game Kickstarter. The originals models were (I think) PVC. Consequently, the sculpts weren't the best, but they came in quantity and with a full game. They were great for what they were. In this new context, the price to value ratio seems off and the result is underwhelming.

On the positive side, this seems like an example of what it was pointed out that Privateer Press could do with their 3D print based manufacturing: use their new 3D printers to do special runs of old sculpts that had electronic files. Here, they chose to do it with sculpts that aren't going to benefit from the high level of detail achievable, but in the future it could happen with better stuff.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

A shop near me plays this game but I'm pretty darn mad that they just eliminated most of the range. I had literally just assembled menoth knights and regular zealots and loved the theme and rules of the game in general.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

a pale ghost posted:

A shop near me plays this game but I'm pretty darn mad that they just eliminated most of the range. I had literally just assembled menoth knights and regular zealots and loved the theme and rules of the game in general.

Something similar happened to me when they moved to mk 3. I had just finished painting up some infantry, best paintjob I'd done, and then a week later they were made unplayably bad.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Bad's...err..bad enough, but literally unplayable is another. I get that they can't afford to maintain the range, but "your entire army is at best in the goofem-up rules if we even bothered" is on a whole other level of sucking

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My cryx army has been in storage for years at this point even pre-covid era. I miss playing the game but have no desire to play it in its current state or even towards the end of MK3. Honestly the best warmachine games we had was the preMK3 games we played after some of the core rules leaked and we used them with a mishmash of the MK2 rules. Them the themes hosed everything up.

If there's any goons in southern Ontario who'd like to take it off my hands PM me.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I came here to ask something similar to Saalkin; I've been out of Warmachine for years and I have a bunch of Cryx, Mercs/Dwarves, and Circle just taking up space and I'm guessing most of them aren't even a thing anymore? Should I even bother trying to sell them?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I came here to ask something similar to Saalkin; I've been out of Warmachine for years and I have a bunch of Cryx, Mercs/Dwarves, and Circle just taking up space and I'm guessing most of them aren't even a thing anymore? Should I even bother trying to sell them?

Well, I threw some photos on some FB trade groups, and so far have gotten 200 for my Cephalyx, 25 for a Satyr and 30 for some Mist Riders. Felt worth it to me.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
That makes some sense. Cephalyx came through to Mk. 4 with all their models. The limited factions did way better than the main ones in this respect. The Mk. 4 design seems to be for armies of that size.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
As of August 31, the War Room 2 app will be removed from Google Play. Basically, Google regularly updates its standards and War Room 2's engine will not be brought into compliance. It'll still work on old devices but installing it on new ones will be painful.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Are Cryx and Menoth ever gonna be in the new format?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

a pale ghost posted:

Are Cryx and Menoth ever gonna be in the new format?

Yes*

*no

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Trolls are the pirate faction now, so if Cryx returns they may not look like you want anyway

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Privateer Press announced the new army called the Shadowflame Shard:

https://www.wargamer.com/warmachine/warhammer-rival-warmachine-shadowflame-shard

Supposed to be Legion crossed with Cryiss. As someone who picked up the game because I liked Legion warbeasts, the aesthetic here does not have me sold yet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Maybe it's the renders' colors, but these seem aggressively ugly.

How do you put Mecha-Ghidora on a vision board and end up here?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

as a convergence player this does not appeal to me at all. It’s just Cyborg Everblight.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
cyriss and everblight are my two favorite factions, but yeah, that is a really ugly color scheme. models themselves seem all right, i guess?

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

And it's somehow way uglier than the clockwork Everblight army that a guy scratch built years ago.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

cyriss and everblight are my two favorite factions, but yeah, that is a really ugly color scheme. models themselves seem all right, i guess?

Their studio painter really likes this very busy NMM scheme that just does not photograph well. The Orgoth stuff had the same problem where it ended up looking noticeably better once other people painted it.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Not a fan.

Looks more like something from Monsterpocalypse.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, neither Everblight nor Cyriss were factions I liked much but these manage to be less interesting than either one alone. I think they could have done much better.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So presumably this means that Legion is also a dumpstered faction; what are the Hordes factions beyond Trolls and this new thing?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Giant Tourtiere posted:

So presumably this means that Legion is also a dumpstered faction; what are the Hordes factions beyond Trolls and this new thing?

No one really knows at this point. I gotta imagine some version of Skorne since their army hosed off back across the desert before the apocalypse and afaik Circle mostly survived since they were pretty small in number anyway.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The comment that at least part of the problem is the current Privateer Press studio painter because they slap NMM on everything is dead on. Someone who got a preview release of Kymera painted them up like this:

I like them much better when treated as Everblight models with a tiny Cryiss influence.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I agree, the studio painter desperately needs to stop with the NMM. Every time I see the studio paint scheme, especially for Robo-Blight, Spooky Elves, and Orgoth I think they look like hot garbage and then I see someone's normal paint job on them and actually they look really good.

Unfortunately Warmahordes is dead as a doornail around here so I won't be buying any any time soon. :smith: If it sees a revival of some kind I'll probably pick up the Dusk dudes at the very least, all though I prefer Warcaster by a lot (no one's playing that, either :smith:)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Could someone explain NMM please?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

Non-metallic metal. Basically it's making stuff look like metal without using metallic paints.

https://tangibleday.com/what-is-non-metallic-metal-nmm-painting/

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

What rydiafan posted. It's a neat, eye-catching technique, and requires technical skill to pull off. Privateer Press's current painter has this technique nailed, possibly because they practice by putting it everywhere:

Eye-catching everywhere is visually confusing.

Edit: Whereas, here's some of those models painted and posted on reddit. The models are great when they can be visually deciphered:

Maneck fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 18, 2023

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
NMM can look good but 9 times out of 10 just using regular metallic paints will look 100 times better

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 19, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
The thing I gather about NMM is that it seems to be a technique where it looks awesome when viewed from one specific angle, so it's great for photographing or display, but a bit of a mess when viewed by any other angle.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Were any of the anthologies / novels PP released any good? I'm not asking for an Abnett or an ADB, but as long as it isn't terrible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.
There were a few.
Into the Storm and Into the Wild (Larry Correia) are personal favorites. Both pieces focus on a unit of Stormblades fighting in a war.
Everyone who's read The Butcher of Khardov (Dan Wells) has praised it. Very much a character piece, firmly establishes who Orsus was and what remains.
Intruments of War (Larry Correia) sold me on the Skorne as a faction. Basically Butcher of Khardov, but for Makeda and the Skorne.
I liked The Way of Caine (Mile Holmes.) Again, a character piece, this one covers Caine's growth into a CRS agent, and his era defining work in Llael.
Dark Convergence (Dave Gross) was the first narrative interaction between Cygnar and the Convergence. It does a very good job of establishing just why they're not going to work together.
At What Cost (Doug Seacat) had my favorite bit of gonzo lore, and manages to make it pretty grounded.

I've only really heard complaints about Mutagenesis.