Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
So troll players after buying the new box what can I do with 2 bouncers, 2 axers and 3 Impalers?

Also what the gently caress can I do with the 10 shredders I have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That's why I think I'll pass on the Legion box. I already have the old one and AiO box, so the only interesting thing is the caster. However, Trolls and Skorne are interesting. However I have Khador, Legion and Mercenary armies to grow.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

rantmo posted:

How heavy are the metal 30mm bases that PP makes? I wonder if they'd be heavy enough to counteract the standard bearer's stupid balance issues. That and maybe a penny under whatever base I make for it, which will have to be more elevated than a normal Basius pad base because of how low the sword dips. This was not a well conceived model.

They aren't as heavy as you would think, but I will say that I ended up getting a metal base for Irusk2 (who stands atop a rock holding up a giant flag) and it seems to make him weighty enough to not topple over (he wouldn't stay up at all previously on the plastic base).

A pack of three is pretty cheap in any case.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

gilljoy posted:

So troll players after buying the new box what can I do with 2 bouncers, 2 axers and 3 Impalers?

Also what the gently caress can I do with the 10 shredders I have

I've seen guys like Pagani and Jay Larsen testing lists with double bouncers, so that may turn out to be a thing. I could see a list with double axers. I'm not sure about the Impalers, though I guess Gunnbjorn or Grim 2 could run a couple.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Red Hood posted:

Going to play my first game tomorrow morning with my bud. Zero points besides what the warcasters give.

Want to use Caine2, so I know I need something to crack high ARM targets like Khador. (My friend has Retribution and Skorne starters though)

Do I go with Ol'Rowdy+Charger or Hunter+Defender?

If it's your first games, i would honestly suggest you treat your models as if they are the battlebox models. They are meant to be played against eachother at 0 points and will give you the fairest game possible for learning.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Have my new ret box assembled. I just said gently caress it and built it normal and will just have to buy a new kit for Discordia. Do you generally need to wash PP plastics before priming? I've always done it in the past, but it would be nice to be able to skip that step.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

rantmo posted:

Jesus gently caress you weren't joking. How does something like that even get released? I'm going to have to weigh the poo poo out of that fucker.

The reason why it's so top heavy is because the flag is insanely thick and up really high. Physics is a loving bitch.

To counter this, I actually cut the length of the pole down to put the weight closer to the ground, and thus making the model less likely to tip over. I've seen people grind the back down to reduce the weight, and I've also seen people replace the flag with painted cloth.

You could do what most people do, which is not attach the flag. The flag is what damns the model because it's not centered on the base and up too drat high.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Can't you just glue metal under the base or something

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Excelsiortothemax posted:

What list did you use? Currently I have them in a Haley 3 list because Def 17 makes me giggle.

Nothing crazy, just wanted to try some melee oriented stuff out

Haley 2
-squire
-thorn
-centurion
stormblade captain
-stormclad
journeyman
-sentinel
10 Sword Knights
Rhupert
Eyriss 2

A little but of flanking help from Thorn meant that the Sword Knights + Rhupert went through an entire unit of Errants and Knights Exemplar. Technically only six sword knights, four of them died to assault shots, the others abused the gently caress out of DEF 15 and no-KD tough.

Definitely use them with Haley 3 thought. That poo poo's fantastic.

e: Also, for anyone who's curious, I was able to place and receive a restock order of Battlegroups and decks this week with no issues from ACD.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 1, 2016

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Drythe posted:

Can't you just glue metal under the base or something

There's not a lot of clearance under those bases though, unless you've got a good means of scraping all that stuff out. I ordered a trio of metal bases and then I'll probably buy a washer for the top (unless the undersides are open) and hope for the best. I guess if the flag does come apart I'll trim the post down, which I wish I'd thought of before.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

rantmo posted:

There's not a lot of clearance under those bases though, unless you've got a good means of scraping all that stuff out. I ordered a trio of metal bases and then I'll probably buy a washer for the top (unless the undersides are open) and hope for the best. I guess if the flag does come apart I'll trim the post down, which I wish I'd thought of before.

Just FYI on the small PP metal bases, they are solid all the way through, except for a slot cut into them. They aren't "hollow" on the underside like the plastic ones.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

imperialparadox posted:

Just FYI on the small PP metal bases, they are solid all the way through, except for a slot cut into them. They aren't "hollow" on the underside like the plastic ones.

Good to know, thanks. Washer on the top it shall be then.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Quick question: With new models, should I be expecting to get MKIII cards for stuff that's been ordered since the transition? If not, is there any kind of program to get the cards for them, like during the MKII transition? I like playing with cards and not war room, but I don't feel like paying an extra $20 tax on getting Lynissa Ryssal for my Ret.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rkajdi posted:

Quick question: With new models, should I be expecting to get MKIII cards for stuff that's been ordered since the transition? If not, is there any kind of program to get the cards for them, like during the MKII transition? I like playing with cards and not war room, but I don't feel like paying an extra $20 tax on getting Lynissa Ryssal for my Ret.

The store you get them from, as long as they got a retailer kit, should have replacement cards that you can get when you purchase the model. Other than that I think all the stuff that's shipping out now has new cards in it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
They've been saying you'll be able to order single cards from them 'eventually', without giving any sort of time frame.

I'm not sure why this wouldn't have been a Day 1 thing but v:shobon:v

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rkajdi posted:

Anything already in the store(unless they got the release kit that had the replacement cards) or distributor's stocks will still have the mk2 card, but anything produced after will have mk3 cards.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Fyrbrand posted:

I've seen guys like Pagani and Jay Larsen testing lists with double bouncers, so that may turn out to be a thing.

I can very much see this as a thing now that heavy infantry is weaker and light infantry has so many more blasts to deal with.

I think that 2x Troll bouncer or 2x Cyclops brute could easily become the new tarpit. Just don't put fury into them outside of the first turn running, or maybe intentionally frenzy them once they're deep in combat.

Even with the fury troubles we have now, they're a more appealing tarpit than the competition.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

RE: The Blood of Kings chat Why does Magnus team up with Stryker to stop Vinter? I thought Magnus was on Vinter's side. I actually haven't read much fluff outside of the Mk II rulebook and the Cygnar Faction Book, so I'm pretty behind.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

FrostyPox posted:

RE: The Blood of Kings chat Why does Magnus team up with Stryker to stop Vinter? I thought Magnus was on Vinter's side. I actually haven't read much fluff outside of the Mk II rulebook and the Cygnar Faction Book, so I'm pretty behind.

vinter went super paranoid and had Magnus totrured by a skorne paingiver to find out if he had betrayed vinter

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

vinter went super paranoid and had Magnus totrured by a skorne paingiver to find out if he had betrayed vinter

Once you realize that Magnus is bassically Big Boss of Iron Kingdoms, things start to make sense about him.

I can lore dump on his rear end without spoilers from Blood of Kings if people are interested. I'm mostly up to date with Magnus because I'm an unashamed Iron Kingdoms lore whore.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

Once you realize that Magnus is bassically Big Boss of Iron Kingdoms, things start to make sense about him.

I can lore dump on his rear end without spoilers from Blood of Kings if people are interested. I'm mostly up to date with Magnus because I'm an unashamed Iron Kingdoms lore whore.

I wouldn't mind reading a lore dump on Magnus. I like the lore but really only in broad strokes, not necessarily reading all the fiction.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Khisanth Magus posted:

Anything already in the store(unless they got the release kit that had the replacement cards) or distributor's stocks will still have the mk2 card, but anything produced after will have mk3 cards.

Don't know if the LGS got the release kit in, but it's going to piss me off a bit if I have to start carrying war room around with me to play. The point of cards is that you can buy the figures and use them straight out, and now that's ruined for god knows how long, since distributors will be carrying old stock for. I'm sure it's great if you have an LGS worth a gently caress near you, but all I have in town is a crappy board/card shop that is dumbly stocking the wrong stuff for WMH-- lots of books and paint sets but next to no actual things you'd use to play the drat game. Is there no way to directly get stuff via PP if your LGS sucks?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rkajdi posted:

Don't know if the LGS got the release kit in, but it's going to piss me off a bit if I have to start carrying war room around with me to play. The point of cards is that you can buy the figures and use them straight out, and now that's ruined for god knows how long, since distributors will be carrying old stock for. I'm sure it's great if you have an LGS worth a gently caress near you, but all I have in town is a crappy board/card shop that is dumbly stocking the wrong stuff for WMH-- lots of books and paint sets but next to no actual things you'd use to play the drat game. Is there no way to directly get stuff via PP if your LGS sucks?

I know in mk2 PP would replace any mk1 cards for free through the missing parts thing. Not sure whether that is true in mk3, although I'd hope it is.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Hell yes, after Blood of Kings I am super interested in Magnus and greatly anticipate his Cygnar epic version.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I want Cygnar magnus so god drat hard

I want a Cygnar Warcaster Unit that consists of Stryker 4 and Magnus 3

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
In keeping with the Age of Cygnar rules, if during your upkeep phase you can come up with witty cop movie banter between them, boost all their damage rolls?

Oh wait, wrong game.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Ahh, this still has that new thread smell. Just gotta clean off the mold lines and we will be good to go!

So I went to Texicon and got in some really fun games with cool peoples. After scrubbing out of Champions, I pretty much just played Iron Arena games all weekend. I took a bunch of pictures so here is one of the battle reports. I don't want to spam up the thread too fast so I will stagger them out a bit. Also Texicon brings out the best in the DFW scene.

The first game was against one of my favorite people in the DFW area. Great painter, nice guy, just a lot of fun to play against. After getting dunked on in Champions, I was really looking to just feel out MK3 games a bit and I could not have asked for a more interesting test for Warjacks.

We played the Outlast scenario and did our best to clutter up the board. Also we used the new fog rules which were pretty cool.

I was playing a silly Bart and a Sea of Warjacks list. It was basically Bart with 2 Nomads, 2 Rovers, a Mule and Mangler, along with the Commodore and a Tactical Arcanist Corps. Lanyssa Ryssyl and a Gobber Tinker came along for support as well.

My opponent was playing All Banes, All the time lead by the new Cryx Caster, Agathia, who is also a Bane. Banes. It was Bane Knights, Bane Warriors with Tartarus, and Bane Riders. I believe the jacks were a Slayer, a Harrower, Ripjaw and Malice. There was also a Pistol Wraith who missed all his shots and promptly got set on fire by the Tactical Arcanist Corps off pictured, just as god intended.

Seriously, all the Banes...

It was at this point my opponent started laughing as he thought most of his army had stealth only to look at the cards and see Ghostly which meant all the cool terrain we fussed with and set up meant nothing to him. The table was effectively barren to him. So everything ran up, and the Bane Riders started up my left flank, sure to be a pain in my literal rear end very soon.

I moved up cautiously towards the middle of the two zones, throwing up Hot Shot on the Mule and using Batten (and would pretty much the entire game) to armor up. I figured with the wall of armor, doubly so with Batten up, and keeping my feat ready, I should be able to get a few turns where i could control the pace. The Bane Riders would have to wait.

Hey, did you know that a Cryx jack has Drag? I didn't cause who uses Cryx jacks. Mk3 is a brand new world. So ya, Malice hooked my Mangler who then died to the wave of Banes. Still took a lot to bring him down.

gently caress Drag.jpg

Man, Power up really changed the game when it came to warjacks. The Nomad charged Malice, dropping him to two boxes and killing two Bane Warriors. Rovers took a few down as well. The Mule and Tactical Arcanists blew up some as well and I still had focus to upkeep Hotshot and cast Batten. Jacks got way more efficient. Bart popped his feat, which is enemies advancing into his 12inch control range are knocked down and -2 attack rolls inside it, so I could keep the Bane Knight's vengeance in place. I felt pretty good about the damage output I was getting with basically just jacks and the Fire Dwarfs.

In the strange world of people actually using Cryx Warjacks, we discovered the Harrower has steady cause crab jacks. He threw up Parasite on the lead Nomad, put 3 focus on and charged the Harrower in. The Nomad was pretty tough, losing movement and cortex, along with the majority of his boxes meaning he was pretty weakened but not dead. The Bane Riders completed the flank but were kept away from the feat. The Knights poked the Rover, but for no damage as Arm 23 is great. He shuffled his army to the left zone, as I was getting bottled up, but little else cause of the feat. He got a point from the left zone as I was still out of the zone.

I knew I had to do as much damage as I could this turn. Without the feat to protect me, I knew his Bane Riders and the remaining Knights were going to run/charge in and hold me in place while he scored the zones. I moved Bart up and moved my Mule and last two Arcanists, one died to a Bane Knight, to deal with the Riders and protect Bart a bit. Lanyssa and the Gobber also moved up, doing their best to try and block off Bart a bit. His units were weak, but he only had a few activations so I figured I could by some time with blockers. The weakened Nomad and Blue Rover moved towards the left zone, hoping to contest it and praying Batten would protect against the Slayer moving up to charge. The Blue Nomad finished Malice off and the Rover took a few more Knights down.

You know how I mentioned I brought the Commodore cannon. I haven't said anything about it thus far cause It could not hit the broad side of a Colossal at this point. Unless I'm reading the rules wrong, its RAT 8 with Base 4 and +4 from the two Crew men using the Gunnery action. 4 turns, 4 shots, no hits, and not even a decent deviation to try and light the undead bros on fire. Finally, on turn 5, with the Bane Riders bearing down, they hit killing a single Rider. The Tactical Arcanists and Mule got another one down and light another on fire.

Still dire on this flank though.

Not doing their bloody jobs in this picture or perhaps the curse of unpainted models.

Sadly, the writing was on the wall at this point. The Slayer finished off the Nomad thanks to Parasite and a pair of Bane Warriors. It took all his focus though, cause drat are Nomads tough. The Riders charged in, beating up the Mule and Rover a bit but more importantly tying them up out of the zone. The knights continued to poke the right zone Rover and Nomad but Batten was up so they did basically no damage. Lanyssa and Gobber did die but they did keep the knights from charging Bart (but that was more from their small CMD range). Sadly Agathia had run into the left most zone, dominating for two, putting him at 3 points.

The following turn my dice failed me a bit. The Rover and Nomad on the right killed a few more knights, but not all of them, keeping them tied up with the Ripjaw to boot. The Mule and Tactical Corps damaged the Riders, but could not finish them off. I debated taking a free strike with the Rover til I realized that my opponent had blocked off the zone entirely. I simply had nothing left to run in. The picture is a bit of a lie as it was taken at the end of the game when we started packing up but Agathia was further in and the warriors were more lined up to block the zone. I called it there.

A great game against a list that would of given me nightmares in MK2 but seemed so much more reasonable in MK3. I honestly felt that if the Commodore had actually hit and maybe I traded a Nomad getting dragged instead of my Mangler, I could of turned it around. I should of been a bit more aggressive with Bart as well but I felt pretty good about it. Seeing that many Warjacks on the field, doing pretty well for themselves was incredible. Seriously, I still had 5 functioning Warjacks by the end of the game, with only the painted Rover and Mule looking rough. Bart's armor skew is definitely a thing, and I just cannot say enough good things about Merc warjacks. This was even a bit of a jokey list as I'd probably drop one of the Rovers for a real infantry unit but I'm surprised how well it did on its own.

I got two more reports but I will post them a bit later as not jam up the thread. I can say that they involve Assault Commandos lighting everything on fire and finally device shaming. I hope you liked it. Feedback always welcome!

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 1, 2016

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

S.J. posted:

I want Cygnar magnus so god drat hard

I want a Cygnar Warcaster Unit that consists of Stryker 4 and Magnus 3

If you get creative with sculpting, you could make the horse on Stryker 3 into Magnus.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
It would be a real nice stealth apology to Mercnar if Magnus 3 made mercs friendly faction to cygnar.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Crazy Ferret your battle reports are excellent

Lore dump good!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Edit:double post

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 1, 2016

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Khisanth Magus posted:

I know in mk2 PP would replace any mk1 cards for free through the missing parts thing. Not sure whether that is true in mk3, although I'd hope it is.

Yeah, I just asked on the official forums about it, so hopefully I get a response from someone inside the company with party line on it. No offense on your answer, but I sort of wanted something more concrete before I drop cash on actual new models instead of hunting for used stuff on ebay.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

I would love lore dump on Magnus, easily my favorite Merc Warcaster. Besides, what's a new thread without some good lore posts!

Magres posted:

Crazy Ferret your battle reports are excellent

:3:

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Yes lore dump good

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
e: nm

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
so new edition, cards printed some time ago and errata already happening, is the minion deck safe to buy, or does it have alot of ones that might change?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Lore dump good. Battle reports rock. All goons are fantastic.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I so want Helios with Helynna. Between the ROF3 tractor beam and her ranged weapon that is 12" of non-linear movement you can force on an enemy model(provided they all hit).

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

These new rules suck, I'm gonna go play Age of Sigmar

Just kidding, I am enjoying the new edition though the no knockdown, no engagement thing is kinda dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Yeah lore dump everything. I need some sort of summary of the IK lore like a goon did for GW End times.