Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
I was going to open this with "kept you waiting huh?" and then go right into Magnus talk that people wanted, but I see that people couldn't wait. Since I said I will Magnus fluff dump, I will Magnus fluff dump. I'll try to avoid any spoilers from Blood of Kings, but just realize that Blood of Kings is basically the climatic ending of a plot line over a literal decade in the making.

So without further delay...

Metal Gear Magnus - The Traitor, The Warlord, and the Big Boss
"Kept you waiting huh?" -Something Magnus would probably say.

Magnus is responsible for a lot of crazy poo poo happening in the Iron Kingdoms, and he is kind of a big deal. This is a guy who trained two of Cygnar's most lore successful casters - Caine and Stryker. He's made kings out of chumps. He makes jacks out of junkyard heaps. He manages to kick rear end in a leg brace that is on par with Mad Max. But I'm getting ahead of myself... so let's go back in time a bit.

Part One of Metal Gear Magnus - Solid

Magnus was a top commander in Vinter's army. Magnus and Vinter got along a lot better than Vinter got along with Leto (who is Vinter's brother). Their friendship was to the point that Magnus and Vinter would sword fight on the front lawn of the palace. If that doesn't sound like a big deal, understand that Vinter is considered the greatest human swordsman in history. The fact Vinter thinks your worth the time to duel is very important. Considering that Vinter defeated Makeda and her beasts by himself to show how badass of a swordsman he was, the fact that Magnus could hold his own against Vinter shows how good Magnus was.

Magnus wasn't all brawn either. Magnus was smart, and a drat good engineer. He valued the functionality of Warjacks over the lives of his men, and so learned how to maintain warjacks under his command. Vinter approved of this since it was cheaper to just draft more bodies into the grinder than it was to manufacture more warjacks. However, they were the only two who throught such tactics were a good thing. Magnus sustained casualty rates that were insanely high, but if they got him victory then it was all good.

Anyway, the main reason for Vinter and Magnus being bros was both of them were ruthless in combat and commanding. Neither showed mercy, and neither had time to put up with the bullshit of peasants. However, Magnus was a cunning son of a bitch who could see the writing on the wall - everyone hated that mother fucker Vinter. Vinter kept everyone in line because they feared him, his inquisition, and Magnus. However, people were starting to gather towards Leto, and Leto was slowly becoming convinced that Vinter needed to be kicked off the throne. Leto was also Warmaster General, and had Birk Kinbrace and some asshat named Nemo secretly recruiting warcasters and soldiers to the cause. Magnus needed a plan to stop Leto from taking over. For that, Magnus needed warcasters.

So Magnus found two... Caine, and Stryker.

Part Two of Metal Gear Magnus - Sons of Leto

I'm not going to dive much into Way of Caine because you really should read it for yourself. It's cool and good. The short version is that Magnus bails Caine out of some poo poo, trains him to be a badass Warcaster, and then Caine does some poo poo to gently caress it all up while Magnus was off doing something else.

Stryker however... we gonna talk about this a bit more than Caine.

After Coleman Stryker got angry and made a jack destroy a building (at the age of 16), Magnus was quick to snatch up Stryker. In exchange for paying off all the property damage Stryker caused, Magnus got Stryker to join the royal guard. Magnus knew that Stryker was a warcaster, but kept this hidden from everyone. Magnus trained Stryker in secret how to control warjacks, fight with a sword, and use magic. Magnus was doing this while also training Caine on the side. The intention was to use both of them as surprise weapons against Leto on the day he decided to revolt, which would be known as the Lion's Coup.

On the day of the Lion's Coup, Leto and his band got hosed up by Stryker, Magnus, and Vinter. Magnus said that the price of treason was death, and was more than happy to carry it out. However, before the bullets started flying, Stryker casts Earthquake in the room. The intention was to knock everyone down so Leto and his group could escape. However, Magnus' Defender, a jack that weighs six and a half tons, fell onto Magnus. Everyone thought Magnus died, so they proceeded into the final fight against Vinter.

Fortunately for all you Magnus fans out there, Magnus survived having a jack fall down on him. However, Magnus lost his left arm, and his left leg now has a permanent brace on it. For those of you wondering why he's Speed 5 and a mechanical arm, that's why. You can blame Stryker and his loving earthquake spell.

Part Three of Metal Gear Magnus - Merc Eater

After Magnus recovered, Leto was willing to pardon him for siding with his Vinter during the Coup. The short version is that Magnus told Leto to gently caress off and throw himself onto his own sword. Magnus, in his hosed up state, became the leader of the resistance fighters who were still loyal to Vinter. When Vinter shows up with the Skorne Army, Magnus goes to help. However, Vinter starts loving poo poo up on purpose, and Magnus calls him out on his bullshit. In response, Vinter has Magnus tortured by Morghoul. While being tortured, Magnus tells Morghoul that Vinter has played the Skorne for fulls and they are all a bunch of chumps. Magnus escapes, and starts looking for a plan b... b stands for boy.

Magnus is looking for a kid named Julius, who is heir to the throne of Cygnar. This is covered in Way of Caine, but it's also covered in a lot of the mercenary fluff of Mk.2. Basically, Magnus finds Julius before Caine can, and starts training him to not be a total loving bitch. Seriously, Julius is like the Iron Kingdoms version of Joffrey at first because holy poo poo. I guess you can say that Magnus is Tyrion in this case, but let's get back to the story... ANYWAY, Magnus and Julius pull of a heist where Julius almost gets killed (and Magnus does nothing to stop it). The heist gets them enough gold to literally buy every loving mercenary contract and Colossal. It was actually pretty baller.

At some point during all of this, that rear end in a top hat Caine shows up again. He and Magnus have a heart-to-heart (which includes the "We're not so different, you and I." cliche), and Caine fucks off to do something else. I would go deeper, but you really need to read the book. What you need to take away from it is this - not everyone in Cygnar loyal to Leto is good, and not every traitor is bad. It's not only a big moment for Caine, but also for Magnus. While Magnus is considered the worst of the traitors to Cygnar, he's actually doing what he swore to do - serve the rightful king.

Also, Magnus started rounding up the Vinter loyalists. Magnus does this by simply saying that he can get Julius on the throne. All Magnus needs in return is more money, more jacks, and more loyalty to Vinter. The nobles fall for it because they still think Magnus is Vinter's right-hand man. Magnus however, is playing a different game. Magnus doesn't want Vinter on the throne because he sees Vinter for what he is - batshit crazy. Instead, Magnus wants Julius on the throne because he can control Julius. So what's the end game for all of this? Magnus is going to use Julius as a puppet to run Outer Heav- I MEAN Cygnar.

Part Four of Metal Gear Magnus - Fate of the Patriot

A lot of stuff happens in Blood of Kings. I'm not going to go into any of it because you should read it for yourself. It is also a drat good book. I will, however, talk about the aftermath and what that means for Magnus.... and my theories...

The book ends with Magnus still being a mercenary. In the future, that may change. Where the book ends and where Mark 3 begins is a three year jump. Magnus could be working in Cygnar, Caine could be working for the Mercs. I don't think that will happen though. Magnus got what he wanted in the end, which was a true heir to Vinter on the throne. Magnus played his end game, and now you must ask "what do we do?" His only purpose now is pretty much safely locked away in a palace guarded by hundreds of elite soldiers. I think his new purpose is going to be to fight in the parts of the war the higher ups forgot about. Magnus is a guy who gets poo poo done, regardless of how dirty or little it is. He achieves the impossible, and people respect him for that. He's still ruthless; still cold. But he's Magnus. The end result justifies the bodies he broke to get there. If there's a place in Cygnar for that, it's going to be because Cygnar is in a desperate situation.

And you know what? That just might be the case. Cygnar is fighting a lot of different enemies from all over the place. Magnus is a conqueror. His place is on the battlefield. There's always a war for Magnus to fight, and he will fight it because that's what he loves to do. He runs the game and gauntlet like nobody else can. And I don't think he's going to want it any other way. If Magnus 3 is a Cygnar warcaster, he will be the most ruthless, unethical warcaster Cygnar has ever seen. And I'm OK with that.

Because Magnus is Big Boss, and you should paint his metal hand red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Magres posted:

Not Goreshade 4, it'll be Gyyryshyylyd 1 :v:

You forgot some 'y's.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Now that I have my battlebox, what the gently caress is with kozlov's sculpt?

Why is his cape just dangling from one of his shoulders and upper arm and not on his back? The entire weight of it is just flapping around from his arm, and it has scaled armor on the back like an IFK cape.

It's like he's carrying around a shower curtain with metal sewn into one side of it.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 2, 2016

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I gotta say, while I find some crossovers plausible (Cygnar or Merc partisan Cygnar Magnus3, Merc partisan Cygnar Caine2), I'm not so sure that Ret Goreshade is gonna be a thing. "Purged" in the context of the Scryah thing could just mean driving off Goreshade, while "unlikely" with respect to Vyros could just mean Goreshade hosed back off to Cryx lands and is therefore too far for Vyros to consider getting at.

Keep in mind Goreshade was literally, what, murdering babies while he was still alive? There's a huge illwill thing going on even with the possibility of a personal repentance on his part.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

chutche2 posted:

Now that I have my battlebox, what the gently caress is with kozlov's sculpt?

Why is his cape just dangling from one of his shoulders and upper arm and not on his back? The entire weight of it is just flapping around from his arm, and it has scaled armor on the back like an IFK cape.

It's like he's carrying around a shower curtain with metal sewn into one side of it.

That's actually kind of similar of a real life way of wearing a cloak, cavalier style.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
In reply to the"what is in magnus's future", Seacat has already said that the beginning of mk3 is going to see Magnus and Stryker leading a force to Llael to try and liberate it from khador. Whether this is still in his capacity as a merc or as a part of Cygnar is unknown though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Why are Bane Knights so expensive? I was looking over some dude's ad firesaling his cryx, and knights are as expensive as other infantry even with his price slash.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Keep in mind Goreshade was literally, what, murdering babies while he was still alive? There's a huge illwill thing going on even with the possibility of a personal repentance on his part.
If he's chosen by their goddess the retribution is going to accept him into their ranks.

Not saying you're wrong, but you're talking about a scenario where the Scryah whose name is in Retribution of Scyrah stands up and says "This is my dude" and then he destroys a legion of undead. Pretty sure the Retribution just has to say yes.

Could be the creation of a new warcaster, though, and/or goreshade is just dead, or who knows.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Wasn't Goreshade trying to find a way to cure his people at first and then was driven mad by the quest and constant failures?

Also I thought he only killed soulless babies and to most elves they are abominations anyways.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Wasn't Goreshade trying to find a way to cure his people at first and then was driven mad by the quest and constant failures?

Also I thought he only killed soulless babies and to most elves they are abominations anyways.

Goreshade was performing experiments on soulless to determine what caused it and how to prevent it. He was driven from Ios when it was discovered what he was doing to them. The elves of Ios don't really care much for soulless, but his actions were beyond the pale.

All of his actions even after that were in an attempt to save his people. He truly believed that to save the elven people the last of their gods must die, believing they would ask be reborn in their own realm if that happened. He tracked Nyssor down because he didn't think he could get to Scyrah.

That is the most important part of all this: no matter how crazy he has become, no matter how despicable the acts, everything he has done is, from his perspective at least, to save his people from certain doom.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i bought the trollbloods box today

its real fuckin nice

also my manager at the nerd store is totally down with starting an employee league, because half the staff is getting in/getting back in, because one of our gross nerds thinks he's hot poo poo despite being the one cryx player who thinks bane thralls suck, and we all want to smash his face

god bless this game

e whats some good fluff to read

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Are strakhov and karchev still stuck in some tunnel

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

albany academy posted:

Yes, they have been there for the last three years.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

albany academy posted:

Tunnel buddies 4 lyfe

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

"goddamn Google maps"

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I thought they made their great escape?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Does anyone have a link to the crap that battlefoam has pulled? like trying to ban other brands of army cases and the whole europe thing from a few years ago. Someone on a local facebook group doesn't believe how awful that guy is, and i lost the link to an old phone.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

e whats some good fluff to read

Into the Storm and Into the Wilds
Part of a series of books that follows around a group of misfit soldiers that have lightning swords. Best character is Salvador Acosta, second best being is Headhunter, their giant angry Stormclad.

Way of Caine
Really good book that goes into the origins of Caine. He's pretty much a drunk Jon Woo 24/7/365. Magnus is in it.

The Butcher of Khardov
Probably the best fluff book you'll read. It gives you the origin story of Orsus Zoktivir "The Butcher" and Lola, his talking murder axe.

Blood of Kings
Basically all of the fluff dumps have been about this book, or lead up to this book. It briefly covers a large plot that has finally been resolved after nearly a decade of build up.

Any of the other books I've either not read, or wouldn't recommend because they're bad.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Khisanth Magus posted:

In reply to the"what is in magnus's future", Seacat has already said that the beginning of mk3 is going to see Magnus and Stryker leading a force to Llael to try and liberate it from khador. Whether this is still in his capacity as a merc or as a part of Cygnar is unknown though.

Beginning of Flashpoint Spoilers: Magnus is made a general in the cygnaran army

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Mountain King is good now and I'm just not sure how to handle that you guys

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Fyrbrand posted:

Buy two, never paint or fully assemble them.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Kithkar posted:

Beginning of Flashpoint Spoilers: Magnus is made a general in the cygnaran army

Do we know when Flashpoint is being published? I'm really ready to go all-in on the MKIII storyline.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

rantmo posted:

Do we know when Flashpoint is being published? I'm really ready to go all-in on the MKIII storyline.

I think sometime this month? It was pre released at lock and load, where I got it. Was really good.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

rantmo posted:

The date I was given was July 13th, but I have nothing but word of mouth backing that up.

My biggest concern is that this is the first true Mk.3 fluff book and it will set the entire tone for what the universe of Mk.3 is going to be like. Blood of Kings was an excellent closer on a very major story.

Kithkar posted:

It was pre released at lock and load, where I got it. Was really good.

Oh thank merciful Christ.

Can you tell me if it's written better than Blood of Kings? Doug Seacat is more of a "good enough" writer than a "good" writer in my opinion.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fyrbrand posted:

I'm pretty sure "Doomshaper 2" is a good way to handle that

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

The date I was given was July 13th, but I have nothing but word of mouth backing that up.

My biggest concern is that this is the first true Mk.3 fluff book and it will set the entire tone for what the universe of Mk.3 is going to be like. Blood of Kings was an excellent closer on a very major story.

Oh thank merciful Christ.

Can you tell me if it's written better than Blood of Kings? Doug Seacat is more of a "good enough" writer than a "good" writer in my opinion.

Hmmm. Well its written by Aeryn Rudel I think. I enjoyed it more than blood of kings, I don't know if I would say its better written though. I also binged it on a comfy chair at Lock and Load while waiting for the edition to start so who knows for real.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Trying to help someone out with a troll journeyman. So far it's a very warmachine-heavy league it looks like. I think other than him there's 1 circle and 1 skorne, the other 8 are warmachine. So I figure a slag troll could work week 2.

Here's what I've come up with.

Week 2: Slag troll
Week 3: Mauler
Week 4: Champs + Skaldi, Lanyssa
Week 5: Either min stone + elder, or full stone. Choice of solo.
Week 6: Full stone, 2 more solos

The 3 solos I'm thinking are champ hero, runebearer, chronicler. Don't know about the order of them or if those are going to be the definite choice.

Another option is putting the slag troll onto horgle, replacing the champ hero. That saves a point which can turn lanyssa into something like janissa, pendrake, or maximus.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 2, 2016

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

chutche2 posted:

That saves a point which can turn lanyssa into something like janissa

we need a journeyman format where you can change N letters in models to turn them into others.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Reading through the old Monsternomicon for the Iron Kingdoms, it dawns upon me that I recognize the Hollow Men from the Lock & Load teaser, at least in some form or another... as a form of cult-created undead who consume the organs of the living to assume an unliving superhuman form that can pass for living.

The fluff seems a bit inconsistent with how the Circle and even Thamar cultists have been presented as of late, though.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Gearhead posted:

Reading through the old Monsternomicon for the Iron Kingdoms, it dawns upon me that I recognize the Hollow Men from the Lock & Load teaser, at least in some form or another... as a form of cult-created undead who consume the organs of the living to assume an unliving superhuman form that can pass for living.

The fluff seems a bit inconsistent with how the Circle and even Thamar cultists have been presented as of late, though.

The warbeasts are all going to be plant based. I wish they would come out with something for the player base. It's weird how coy they are being with this all.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

I'm pretty sure "Doomshaper 2" is a good way to handle that

I was rolling with Ragnor, but this is probably going to happen too.

Killing satyrs with two hits each was fun and good, especially when he tanked a retaliation from a Stalker that charged for free with Primal and warped STR. :getin:

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

The warbeasts are all going to be plant based. I wish they would come out with something for the player base. It's weird how coy they are being with this all.

New hordes faction hails from the mysterious lands of Nilbog

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I hate that I'm probably going to buy a battlefoam tournament bag. 75 bucks is kind of too good to pass up at that price.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Kithkar posted:

I hate that I'm probably going to buy a battlefoam tournament bag. 75 bucks is kind of too good to pass up at that price.

Go with KR. Do it

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

albany academy posted:

New hordes faction hails from the mysterious lands of Nilbog

Nilbog is goblin spelled backwards!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

How deep does this rabbit hole go?!?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Second KR. Stuffs great.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fyrbrand posted:

I was rolling with Ragnor, but this is probably going to happen too.

Killing satyrs with two hits each was fun and good, especially when he tanked a retaliation from a Stalker that charged for free with Primal and warped STR. :getin:

Tell me more :allears:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

They don't want to admit the new faction is Nigmos

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

Go with KR. Do it

I am well aware how good KR is, I use it for my trolls and minions, I'm just poor as poo poo as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Kithkar posted:

Is that the one that's supposed to be carry-on sized?

I'm pretty sure I won't be flying with my minis but I've got too many to transport all at once. I'm going to need to figure something out. Getting something carry-on sized might not be a bad idea, just in case.

Has anyone flown with a KR case, or I guess any other case? What size? How did it go? I did fly once with a small amount of minis in a Sabol case. It worked out but that was forever ago and that case is long gone.