Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
They've been saying you'll be able to order single cards from them 'eventually', without giving any sort of time frame.

I'm not sure why this wouldn't have been a Day 1 thing but v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The warbeasts are all going to be plant based. I wish they would come out with something for the player base. It's weird how coy they are being with this all.

They don't want to admit the new faction is Nigmos

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Rhupert's songs working on jacks is confirmed as being part of the errata.

God drat, all I wanted to do was play music to my robots.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

fnordcircle posted:

Oh crap I hadn't even noticed that it's not model/unit. That's a really nice change since it means Warcasters other than Haley3 get to be tough from him.

Apparently when the errata drops it will be warrior model/unit so enjoy while you can.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I'm having a blast with Mk 3 because there's like a million things I want to try out, and I keep playing against different stuff.

I guess that might wear off as people settle into 'the best' stuff but I think with Power Up and some of the other rules adjustments the core of the game is just more fun overall now too.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
That's a good point. We have some enthusiastic Hordes players around here but admittedly all the games I've played so far have been Warmachine on Warmachine.

I heard that there was a big tournament in Edmonton on the weekend with 30 some-odd entrants, only 7 of which were Hordes and 14 of which were Khador.

e: I do want to get my Circle back on the table at some point and see if I'm less terrible at them in Mk 3 but I am not at all sure how they work now.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Geisladisk posted:

It's a heavy 'jack that provides it's own focus. That's about it. It was probably more useful back in Mk2, when focus was at more of a premium.

It's still pretty decent if you want to run a lot of 'jacks, and there's no competition for your dudes' souls (you're not running Reclaimers). It's definitely a niche 'jack, however.

e: And yes, it's also decent against Cryx, since it counters Incorporeal and can deny them your dudes' souls.

I really want to try one with the Bastion Seneschal marshalling it, since it will benefit from Crush!, be able to load itself with Focus, and due to the drive won't lose any effectiveness until it's dead. I'm not sure it's more than a goofy gimmick, but it sounds too fun not to try at least once.

e: More generally, Spd 5 reach heavy with two initials isn't a bad thing to have.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
That is an awesome looking Fulcrum.

I dunno what I think about the new book strategy PP has (described here). It sounds like there might be periods where one faction has got a bunch of rad new stuff and everyone else has to sort of hang on until their book drops however much later.

Presumably they'll work it out, but it sounds like a pretty difficult model to keep working smoothly.

e: I do think that not sticking to releases being strictly symmetrical is probably a good move. I'd rather they bring out models that are cool and well-conceived than worrying about 'well, Faction X needs a new colossal this time around too, sooooo'

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 11, 2016

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So I'm looking at Vindictus (shut up) and I have a dumb question. True Path says you get the movement bump 'when advancing as part of their normal movement' and Pathfinder. I'm guessing that a charge doesn't count as normal movement? Does a run?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Rad, that's better than I thought then. I guess the spell is disallowing stuff like Reposition then? (I am now uncertain what *isn't* Normal Movement, haha)

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
My plan is to try a min unit of Zealots to be his entourage and get Call to Sacrificed but it might not end up being worth the points I guess.

Trying to figure what the best jacks will be to take advantage of Admonition.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

PaintVagrant posted:

I think zealots are paperweights, which is a bummer.

I'm not using them for anything else yet but I figure it's worth a shot having them basically be extra hit points for Vindictus.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I had my first game with Thyra tonight. I'm not playing the list well yet - I don't get a lot out of Side Step and I kept forgetting to Apparition Blood of Martyrs, but it seems like it will be really really fun when I get the hang of it. I'd think it's a bit of a curveball from what people usually expect from Menoth as well, but it's a lot of infantry and so some stuff would murderize it bad.

Anyone with positive or negative Thyra experiences?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

mp5 posted:

what's your list?
Right, yes, that would probably be helpful!

http://conflictchamber.com/#b21b3K3N241r3q2M2MdS2_3S2K2L

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points

(Thyra 1) Thyra, Flame of Sorrow [+29]
- Blood of Martyrs [16]
- Templar [15]
- Devout [9]
- Hierophant [3]
Daughters of the Flame [10]
Flame Bringers (max) [17]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
Nicia, Tear of Vengeance [5]
Temple Flameguard (max) [11]
- Temple Flameguard Officer & Standard [4]

I kind of wonder whether the TFG would be better off swapped for another jack and some support.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
toot toot all aboard the goat boat

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Just stopping by to say the Cinerator kit is a piece of junk even by Privateer's low standards for plastics.

Glad I got them on sale at least.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
In a killbox scenario Una seems really hard to avoid getting assassinated against. She feats, all her griffons have stupid threat range and can't take free strikes. Yikes.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Jimmy Hats posted:

Also zaadesh seems hella good i am enamoured with skorne these days. Maybe someone will trade me for my circle..?

No goats in Skorne though

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So somehow I've ended up going to a team tournament in a few months and I think what I need to do is pick my lists and practice the poo poo out of them. After making myself unhappy trying to pick 'the best' casters I also think I'm just gonna roll with two that I feel like I know how to play. However, I'd be super interested to know what people cleverer than me make of the following pairing.

(Severius 2) Hierarch Severius [+26]
- Blessing of Vengeance [13]
- Redeemer [11]
- Reckoner [16]
- Devout [9]
- Reckoner [16]
Visgoth Juviah Rhoven & Honor Guard [9]
Idrian Skirmishers (max) [15]
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide [5]
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist [3]

Objective probably Bunker, and

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points

(Thyra 1) Thyra, Flame of Sorrow [+29]
- Blood of Martyrs [16]
- Templar [15]
- Devout [9]
- Hierophant [3]
Flame Bringers (max) [17]
Nicia, Tear of Vengeance [5]
Temple Flameguard (max) [11]
- Temple Flameguard Officer & Standard [4]

Also probably Bunker again.

I just like playing Thyra, ok?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

xiw posted:

My general view is
- fit in 3 heavies if you can, there are lists you'll just bounce off the armor otherwise
- the devout is overkill with Rhoven in play, spell immunity is niche
- thyra would like no knockdown more than the devout
- Saxon is really good with thyra too

Feels like both lists will clear infantry no problem but have issues with 4+ heavies.

Thanks dude - the heavy armor thing is actually my concern as well. I'll tinker with the Sev2 list some I reckon.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

When PP pushes errata and updates cards will they make the new cards available for purchase like they used to be

At one point they were talking about having yearly updated card packs (by faction? maybe?) that had just the cards with new rules on them come out.

I presume that's still a thing. Maybe one will come out shortly after this big errata in January.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Is there a good rule of thumb or general guideline type thingy for figuring out optimal use of CMAs?

Like tonight I had 8 TFG models attacking a jack and was more or less baffled by trying to figure out what the best math was. (Target was DEF 13 ARM 19, TFG are MAT 6 and were hitting at POW 12 because they had Silence of Death on) I eventually did a bunch of 2 man CMAs because I honestly just wanted to stop thinking about it; it felt like a bad math test flashback.

If there is any kind of general rule to follow in these kinds of situations I would be very grateful.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Thanks for the CMA answers. I'm glad that, if nothing else, there doesn't appear to be a simple concept that I've been missing. :v:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
It's a safe bet that there's an Exemplar theme coming whenever they get around to doing Menoth's theme force(s) as well.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Yeah they seem to be going down a very similar path with Themes where by and large you're going to end up being a dummy not using them, which is unfortunate. I think opening them up as much as they have may have been a mistake in that regard. But, ambushing Daughters is going to be awesome, so never mind.

'Vassal Models/Units' is an interesting tidbit.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Yeah in general if you know you're out-threatted you either need to throw something disposable out front to bait out their alpha and then counterpunch or punish them on scenario for staying out of your threat. On some scenarios that's easier than others obviously. Run to jam so you can advance other stuff into striking range isn't the worst idea either.

When I was first starting out I got super stressed out about infantry dying but basically you're gonna lose dudes virtually every game. The main thing is to make sure that the guys who are dying are still serving a purpose that lets you kill more of the other guy's dudes in return.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

parabolic posted:

I sure hope it's empower. It sorta sounds like they grant magical weapons to warjacks "These Greylords apply their knowledge of magic and mechanika to imbue the weapons of warjacks with the power needed to cut down unnatural foes who are more than flesh and steel." I know that when it was taken off of the Koldun Lord there was talk that Khador would get it again so I'm optimistic.

I think Larsen said on Twitter that it's Empower.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

xiw posted:

Well, that's how they nerfed kickymonks!

gently caress 'the enemy lose AD' theme bonuses though.

Sooooo I guess Wracks are warrior models?

Wracks without AD would be very sad.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Geisladisk posted:

I don't like these themes.

Both Menoth themes we've seen so far are "take all the poo poo you usually do, but get 10 points of free solos and a extra ability". I had to make literally no adjustments to my standard Amon list to get the theme, but now I have 10 more points in my list. Ditto with my Thyra list.

It feels like we're going down the same road as Mk2 themes - The themes that let you take the good poo poo you wanted to take anyway, but stack bonuses on top of that, will get taken, and will skew the difference between good and bad lists even more. The ones that encourage you to take weird, thematic poo poo will never be used. The restrictions that themes place on you should be much harsher, but the rewards should be bigger.

I'm not even sure what the point of these is, from a game design perspective - Other than, "oh poo poo, Mk2 had themes, better knock out some themes". I understand giving each Merc subfaction themes, or doing things like the Cryx pirate theme. But themes like the Flameguard one, that let you take the core units of the faction, and only restrict a couple of units might as well not exist.

I lost a Hierophant from my Thyra list, but I'm still pretty sure it's straight better with the theme because it let me add a free Pyrrhus. Basically I agree with you that it seems like when PP is done rolling out everyone's themes there's going to be at least one that you'd be kind of a dummy not to take. Seems like a bad move to me.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

mp5 posted:

I finally bit the bullet and picked up some Flame Bringers. I'm not looking forward to assembling them but I am looking forward to them never getting hit with Defender's Ward and working in the new Flameguard theme force

Flame Bringers are pretty rad. I didn't find the assembly to be as bad as I was expecting it to be aside from the horror of horse dongs. Thyra makes them pretty sick.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Probably a stupid question, but Molten Metal says it does 1 damage to each column in a jack's damage grid. If the column is already filled, does it overflow to the next as usual, or is it just lost?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
My handwriting is the god damned worst and I still think that looks like a 5 year old wrote it.

Maybe they did?

Anyway, thanks for the Molten Metal info!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Ok I'm confused by War Room yet again. They've changed the implementation of the Theme Forces so it no longer automatically makes solos free when possible (so in the Guardians of the Temple theme, it doesn't automatically drop Nicia to 0 pts when you qualify), it just appends them with 'can be free'.

How do I tell it that yes, I want to make that thing free? Because otherwise the list shows as being over points and while I'm sure most people can (literally) do the math, it would be better if there was a way to get the list showing up as legal.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

CaptCommy posted:

Click the banner at the top of your list mentioning free stuff. This then lets you pick which solos are free.

Hmmm yes, the 'Select Free Stuff' banner. Thank you!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Had my first Feora3 game last night. Incite lets you do some ridiculous stuff, but I have the feeling she's gonna be pretty assassinate-able. (This game was against a Durst list with literally no shooting, so she could just sit behind her lines shining Incite all over them) I'm also not too sure she's got much of a Plan B going on, which is a bit of an issue once people adjust to what Incite-d things can do.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I am really liking Vassals atm so I would probably go that route. You don't need Rhupert's pathfinder song too much there and I find Tough so unreliable that I wouldn't put him in just for that. The Book is never a bad pick though.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Mechanik is good. You can always use him to contest late game too.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

mp5 posted:

Deliverer Arms Master coming out in May, too bad he's terrible

Arguably ok with the Sunburst, I thought? Arcing Fire Redeemers might also be entertaining.

Just (continue to) forget the actual Deliverers.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Redeemer(s) with Feora3 - funny idea that isn't worth actually doing or workable concept?

Once they can aim (which is almost always) under Incite they're up to effective RAT 5 and with Incite+Battle the rockets are POW 16.

I've only tried it once and that was into the Menoth mirror so obviously not as effective as it might possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

xiw posted:

I just picked up cheap flame bringers by accident, tell me about them!

Flame Bringers are rad. If you can throw a defensive spell on them or give them stealth (Thyra) they get really ridiculous but just on their own they're a super unit. Fast, they hit hard, and with Parry, Side Step and Repo 5 they can really hit and fade. If your opponent doesn't dedicate resources to killing them they can tear a lot up and don't necessarily need any support to do it. That can be a bit of a curveball for opponents who don't expect something in Menoth to be able to do those things. I guess their main drawback is that they are really fragile and once your opponent does get to grips with them they die pretty fast. However, I find by that time (assuming I haven't made any mistakes) they have either more than pulled their weight in killing things or distracted a huge amount of attention their way. I never regret bringing them.

e: I haven't run 2 units yet but I'm really tempted to try it with Thyra.