Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Canadians are a flighty, gooselike people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Some fuckin geese made a nest at the cross walk in my work parking lot. Pretty sweet being attacked by a making GBS threads ragedad goose every morning walking to the building.

That's also a Canada metaphor in some way probably

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nighttheii posted:

WIP Hand of Judgment and the new Avatar. HoJ has magnetized banners, old avatar sculpt for scale.

Very happy with the quality of these new models.

Welp gotta go get one of those new fangled avatars. gently caress.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

You've just earned an honorary membership in our local Troll PV Nonstop club, gratz.

I barely even paint anymore!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

A buddy of mine played a Helynna list yesterday with 6 gorgons in it as a troll. It was surprisingly effective, I had suggested trying a few of them because shoot + speed debuff + backup seems good, also moving forward at the end of hte turn to forcelock is pretty good.

So he said gently caress it and ran 6, and it wasnt actually that bad. I doubt the list will stay that way, but it might end up with 2 or more gorgons in the final iteration.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Magres posted:

CAMONBAAAAALLLLLLLL

:golfclap:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Y'all are pretty mad for being in an open beta

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I'm just saying what better way to avoid all the awful open beta arm chair game designers than just have a beta where nobody knows

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

rkajdi posted:

Question that came up during our first battlebox game yesterday (a fairly lopsided victory for Ret over Trolls) Is a caster now allowed to target itself with a ranged attack? Said attempt was with Hex Blast for clearing an upkeep off. He could have just gone with the other plan of going behind a beast, hitting it and sitting in the blast damage to ensure removal.

In actual play, the three lights were less bad than I imagined them being. That being said, he didn't come at me very hard, so I was able to dance at range and shoot the crap out of him until it really didn't matter anymore. I lost my griffon due to a poor play on my part, but otherwise it was a good showing for how the Ret battlebox is supposed to work.

Nope, and hex blast is direct hit iirc.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

rkajdi posted:

Awesome. Just wanted to make sure I was playing it right. Hand of Destruction did its job in full that game-- even POW 12s hurt inordinately with that spell. Added bonus was that he twice shot it off a beast, meaning that I got an extra damage roll against the target if it survived the Manticore's "titty missiles" (my opponent's term) My overall journeyman plan is lots of jacks with some solo support, so I expect lots more games like this one.

As an aside, are people using Helynna's Redirection Blast primarily as an offensive attack, or as a last ditch move to give a jack an extra 3" push at the cost of a hit? If Decel is up, the odds of hurting a heavy at dice-9 with it are low, and a push can get you out of melee if needed or if the 3" + 3" Rhythm of War gets you out of melee or shooting range. It does look like our Pressganger is going to change the Journeyman structure so that Week 2 is 15pts, meaning that I might not need to have a Gorgon in my group immediately. I'm still thinking about it, if only because a Gorgon + Aspis would give me some caster protection and even more movement tricks. A Hydra also seems like an okay buy, but I don't currently have one and would have a hard time getting one painted in time, so the other option is probably a Sphinx.

To clarify, hex blast doesnt work on things in the blast damage (not directly hit). Helynnas gun is enemy models only.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Every rose has its thorn

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Oh gently caress if only I had an awesome reach chain weapon arm 21 warjack with beat back and shield guard in my faction

Oh wait I do and it's 15 points :getin:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

evenworse username posted:

Rhupert's songs working on jacks is confirmed as being part of the errata.

God drat, all I wanted to do was play music to my robots.

goddammit

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Isnt Danny Modesto, literally the nicest dude on planet earth and my hetero mancrush, in the Cog club?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Reclaimer1 still has sac lamb, thats pretty amazing in mk3

List I wrote has 2 full units, 3 heavies and a redeemer. Pretty sweet to have every jack get 2 focus for the cost of 1 scrub 1.1 point TFG. I think HR lists are going to be a lot more aggressive in mk3, as his cloud wall game is pretty bad now, but he gained hand of fate...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

In fact the kicker is that I'm in charge of the Cog Collective. So it's a little upsetting to hear someone had a negative experience with one of our players.

I reached out via PM. There's a solid group playing Thursdays at Portland Game Store in NE Portland. There are a lot of new players getting into mk3 and there's even a journeyman league starting next week; if you're able feel free to drop by.

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread peeps. On the flip side I'm back.

omg yes youre back :love:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Danny Modesto alt account spotted.

:wink:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

PV let's go to WMW. :getin: :catdrugs: :frogsiren:

Maybe just make a few more stops along the way there and back. Eheh eheh.

You drive, I will sit in the passenger seat and hit your legs with an oar to keep the blood flowing

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:frogsiren: I am selling a pretty complete Legion army at a reasonable price with a bag:frogsiren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782618

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Trip report: high reclaimer is totally broken and I beat the poo poo out of 2 "bad" matchups in a row (legion and scaverius)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

2 of my 3 games ended by me feating back 6-8 idrians in aim range of the enemy caster who they had preyed. With hand of fate. The math is batty on how much damage that can cause.

That's rat 9 pow 13s 3d6 drop the lowest...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So here is why high reclaimer is loving nuts in mk3:

- sac lamb + power boost = reckoners and redeemer all have 2 focus for the cost of 1 TFG or choir guy. Even with the choir nerf thats a LOT of boosted shots. Reckoner went to base pow 14, so pow 16 now.

-Hand of Fated Idrians. The play seems to be prey their caster, because hand of fate fixes their rat enough to kill whatever they need WITHOUT prey. Then the feat/HOF assassination is always in play, and it will keep their caster out of the game, or they just die.

-HR feat is d3+5 dudes. They activate normally, no sac combat action restrictions or anything. They get placed in control, in formation, no other restrictions. So its pretty easy to feat back 6-8 idrians in aim or walk and shoot range of their caster. If your opponent didnt kill enough to make that work, kill them yourself before HR activates and feats.

The math on this is pretty good, single shots are rat 7 pow 13, hand of fate effect. So, a 15/16 caster with 3 camp is the target. Assuming I get 8 idrian shots, I hit on 8's with hand of fate, which is probably in the ballpark of 65% to hit (I think). Damage rolls are at -3, with hof that is probably ~5 damage per hit. So if I hit 6 times, you spend your 3 camp and then take about 15 damage and are probably very close to death.

That doesn't account for the fact that high reclaimer can do lots of spell damage before the idrians activate, and my list has 2 reckoners and a redeemer. If one of the reckoners hits you first, youre turbo dead because its a boosted 16 and your now flared.
I havent had a real assassination caster in PoM that I enjoyed playing , but HR is sickkkkk

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

I wouldn't even get out of bed in the morning for FOC 5.

I usually have 8-12 focus per turn, sooooo

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Korwen posted:

what infantry are you running? Based on your posts it seems like TFG, Choir, Idrians, is that about all of it? Are you running an arc node? I'm painting a Guardian now because I want to try him out in Mk3 because he seems like a very decent overall heavy, but it seems like an arc node is necessary to get HoF on targets.

War Room Army

Protectorate of Menoth - Reclaimer champs?

Theme: No Theme Selected
75 / 75 Army

The High Reclaimer - WJ: +32
- Hierophant - PC: 3
- Reckoner - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Reckoner - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Redeemer - PC: 11
- Guardian - PC: 15

The Covenant of Menoth - PC: 4
Vassal Mechanik - PC: 1
Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist - PC: 4

Choir of Menoth - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
Idrian Skirmishers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide - Chieftain & Guide: 5
Temple Flameguard - Leader & 9 Grunts: 11

---

GENERATED : 07/09/2016 15:49:34
BUILD ID : 2021.16-06-25

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Korwen posted:

Ah crap I need to read better, I thought it was a debuff. It's an upkeep too, so I guess you can cycle it (unless they changed how that works and I haven't read that yet)

Yep, you can upkeep it, activate that unit and kill things, then activate HR and move it to something else.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Don't you have to make sure at least a few troopers in the unit remain alive? He can't bring back dudes in a unit that was wiped off the table right?

Also why the book in mk3? That thing is garbage.

Correct, you need dudes alive. However, the Idrian officer is spaced at max 8" from the front/bulk of the unit, and the guide is 8" back from him. So quite often the guide is standing behind my caster or some other very difficult spot to get to. I havent had anyone even come close to removing the whole unit, too much distance and LOS blocking in the list.

The book is not garbage, although it certainly is not as good as mk2. Its primary uses are LOS blocking to HR, anti spells to stop zany assassinations, and giving the idrians continuous fire on their ranged attacks when appropriate. The main change I am considering is dropping hierophant for a wrack, as the +2 range and healing arent really valuable in the list. That frees up 2 points, which doesnt do much, but I could combine it with taking out another piece and turn that into a more valuable solo or something.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

In the protectorate, food brings you power. See also, Anson Durst

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That's what you get for posting in a Warmachine faction Facebook group

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

:frogsiren: I am selling a pretty complete Legion army at a reasonable price with a bag:frogsiren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782618

Threw it up on ebay, so you can get it even cheaper :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201620965550?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the late mk2 meta and call mk3 a side grade.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I play both and have had almost no current interest in putting my skorne or legion on the table. Mostly just because the drastic changes to Warmachine are what I want to explore, not because I think hordes factions are bad. In a few months I'll get the skorne itch again.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

With the casters that can get him to 19, he's definitely a short ranged throw away missile that one rounds heavies. I actually like most of the goat changes, they are at least super cheap now. Shadowhorn was always cool.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

It's an utter gently caress you to haley3 players too. (Especially comboed with reznik2) It's a solid Jack, pow is a little low but being able to bank souls til you activate (so you can fix its cortex and then still use focus that turn), magic weapon, Ashen veil, and a 10"! Bubble of anti incorp is loving sweet.

I wouldn't use it as your only melee Jack, but it's a solid second or third heavy option when you're worried about focus economy issues or incorporeal douches.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

Gonna give his entire bg true sight

That's my guess too.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

moths posted:

Am I reading this wrong or can you only ever get up to +2 from Gang now?

Did you think gang stacked?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

My sevvy list won! Turns out a trio of defender's warded Flame Bringers (who are speed 9 Mat 7 now!!) will run a train on purifiers, choir, and anything else they get their hands on. 'jack marshalled redeemer taking aim is also hella trill.

I guess the exemplar did a bit of damage but mostly they did objective stuff.

Flamebringers seem totally insane in mk3. Cant wait to try them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

:yeah:

I'm not wholly convinced about taking a max unit of them, simply due to the prevalence of high arm and less units, but the min works wonders.

Oh snap I just realized that they are totally insane with high reclaimer. God high reclaimer rules now. Hand of Fate flamebringers feated back into nice spots to go kill your caster or the things you love...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I'm not sure I mind feign death on units, but on casters it is really egregious.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Magnus OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

How do I play pFeora?

So far every game I lose has been a MAT 11 Ghetorix to the face [eKromac and eKreuger] and the games I've won I feel like I won because of my army, not because my caster did anything. I feel like I want to play forward enough to threaten with Engine and put jacks into Effigy territory, but if I get far enough upfield to do that, I get killed.

Here's what I've revised my list to [been proxying via Vassal]

pFeora
-Corbeau
-Sanctifier
-Blood of Martyrs
-Hand of Judgement
Vilmon
Ashley
Rhupert
Reclaimer
Min Choir
Max Idrians +UA