Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Magres posted:

mk3 is hilariously unpolished compared to the end of mk2 (no duh it's a new edition) but it'll probably wind up being a much better game once they get a couple errata cycles out

I almost get the sense that Soles and Hungerford are completely checked out and the infernals are left trying to interpret the horribly written rules in such a way as to make the best RAW ruling they can.

Like, they can't even call/ email/PM the PP guys to ask about intentions with rules, because holy poo poo how do you figure that's an intentional effect of using those units and abilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Re: Magnus lore dump

My loyalist warlord is ready.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Are you and/or Susan Cog people of import somehow? I've had a good experience with exactly two people that I've met that I know are Cog players in the Portland local area, and the rest have been, at best, pure rules lawyering, netlisty, unfun power gaming shitlords. Lucas, the PG from Salem and JC, the skorne Mexican guy from Portland are the two stand out folks. I'm pretty sure aside from JC and Lucas most Cog guys are disinvited from Nexus games for their behavior.

I don't bring this up to paint the group whole cloth as shitlords, but to try to find out if we just met the worst of the bunch and/or find out where the chill guys are. We've got 34 or 35 people participating in our journeyman league right now, and I can think of 5 or 6 that are interested in moving up to steamroller level play. If there was a cool guys club of chill cog dudes that weren't the righteous assholes, I think there could be some interest in trying to build some bridges.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

oh come on

One guy introduced a new player to the game by bottom of turn 1 assassination after telling him everyone just runs forward turn 1. Another guy dropped Denny + banes into a guy playing his first non-battlebox game. The PG from a shop in Vancouver played pre-errata Hayley2 into literally everyone.

All of this while we were maybe 3 weeks into trying to get introduced to the game, inviting Cog guys to help demo it for us. Our current PG was really excited about the game and had played for maybe 3 months at that point, mostly against his brother. He invited them hoping that as more knowledgeable players they could teach interested players the game.

The final straw was when we spoke with one of the older guys about maybe teaching people by giving them an idea of what might happen or pull a few punches so that the new guys could roll a die or two before blowing them off the table. His response was "Page 5."

The store manager told them they weren't going to be welcome back. The PG from the Vancouver store got reported to Hungerford and last I heard from Lucas was removed from the PG program. I ended up not picking up the game again for over a year, and even now I hate playing steamroller. I'm trying to work my way up to comfort with the format. I've mentioned this story or significant parts of it in the mk2 thread.

This was my shop's and my own personal experience with Cog people. I was surprised when I saw the link posted to their forum here because this is generally a pretty chill group and that just wasn't the experience I knew based on past encounters with them.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

Indeed.

Demanding to play by the rules doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. Nice people can be strict on rules. Playing a netlist doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. Nice people can play netlists. Being competitive doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. Nice people can be competitive. Being an rear end in a top hat makes you an rear end in a top hat.

You can give takebacks, play goofy lists, not care who wins, and still be a loving rear end in a top hat.

Right.

I called them shitlords, which I figured was appropriate. Anyone who gets invited to show new players a game and proceeds to show how unfun and one-sided a game can be to said new players pretty much qualifies as a shitlord.

I also said that the impression was based on this limited experience that I had and that if some goons from here were in that group, I'd be interested in the possibility of meeting some non- shitlord types. Living in Portland would make this convenient since they're apparently coming to my town (and maybe one or two of them could be locals).

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

waah posted:

I do like the new pose

I like the facial expression on him, but holy poo poo trying to foam that pose. I'll stick to my regular tibby model with his mace out front so at least he'll fit in a standard foam tray.

Looks drat cool though.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

Reaaaally not all that expensive. There website is poop though and I recommend googling something like "what KR foam to get for khador". Most of the issue for me was how many cases to get, but again, Google is basically your friend here.

They would frankly dominate if they got an intern to make them a new website...

This works really well when you have 30 models, or in 40k terms, when you're dealing with armies that are (20x marines, 3x rhinos, 3 bikers, 6 terminators). When you're looking at more models than that they get really goofy about halftrays and fulltrays and how many boxes you need to carry them all.

I will say about Battlefoam that their licensed stuff is fantastic for foaming warmahordes models. Most weird/spindly units and heavy warjacks/beasts have custom cut foam trays, they have small/medium infantry trays and they fit in one of 3 size bags. When I make lists for, say, Lock'n'Load, I take out the trays that have the models I need, stack them up and just go. I don't have to swap models around or worry about the one guy with the arm pointing out that's different breaking because chances are he's in custom cut sections or in an appropriately oversized pocket that I've made his permanent foam home.

I *really* want to like KR. I know they're the darlings of this sub. I haven't been back to their site in the last few days to see how it comes together now, but between the old lovely website design and the, frankly, confusing options they gave me to foam up my models when I asked, (multiple times between my 40k models, as well as my Khador -back when I owned 1/3 of the models I now own), I just went with the one that didn't have me convulsing in frustration trying to figure out and navigate to get what I wanted from them.

The battlefoam owner guy may be a raging rear end in a top hat who shouldn't be supported, but for gently caress's sake he makes it so much easier to get what I need. One time I even had to call them to ask about something they didn't have listed and they told me they'd custom cut it for me for $2 more.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

That's my shelf for my Khador models. I've got about 30" of vertical height of foam for all of my stuff. I have another shelf that has my other factions (Ret, Skorne, Mercs, Menoth, Pirates), all of them in similar foam. No matter what I want to play, I can walk over, pull out the PP Bag, grab the trays I want and I'm good to go. I even have one of the half-sized tournament bags with Foam that I use for my Dropzone Commander models.

I also know exactly how close I am to needing to order more small infantry trays or another generic heavy jack tray, or a Gun Carriage tray for when I pick that up. I won't have to worry about calling KR or navigating their moonspeak webpage.

As a fallback, when you have a small amount of models and want something tight and concise, I love Feldherr. Bonus: you can get a good amount of Feldherr stuff on Amazon Prime for 2 day delivery.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I ran the Gorgon/Aspis in my JML games and it's been great. I run it into things I don't want advancing or shoot the opponent's heavy and reposition myself just outside of their threat to throw them off for a turn.

No regrets.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

fnordcircle posted:

I'm a successful and good-looking person who gets a lot of sex from human females so I don't play shooty armies to compensate for my tiny peen, tyvm

QTIYD

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Literally The Worst posted:

Fifteen BG only makes sense, 10 cripples some of the factions (cough trolls) because it's just another light against everyone else's heavies

I'm currently playing in 2 JML right now and surprisingly the shop that made all of the forum favorite changes is the hotter mess of a JML. The other shop stuck religiously to the document and it's been a much better experience. Trolls still beat the poo poo out of people with 4 lights, and you're not going up against the worst/toughest jacks and beasts of each faction on week 2 and 3.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the current journeyman document and I think Will Hungerford is the worst person to have developing for it, especially after meeting him. But having played it both ways, I wouldn't make the 10->15 change on week 2.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khisanth Magus posted:

Elara and Jakes appear to be sold out, they are no longer listed on the PP Store.

Just came to check this. Got home early from work to put my order in.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

The ability of people to piss and moan about neat stuff in this game is absolutely breathtaking at times but I've been playing just long enough to be able to find it amusing, indeed weirdly charming, rather than being swayed by any of it in the loving least. Watching the PP Cygnar and Protectorate forums pivot from excitement about the new 'casters into knowing that they are utter poo poo and terrible and the worst things and will never be fielded evar despite them not having been in existence long enough to have played a goddamned game with. At least there's some pushback against the doom and gloom but ye gods and little fishes, what angst they pull from their own asses.

A friend and I just brainstormed a Jakes list with Trenchers, a pair of Fireflies and Alexia1 with Murdoch. Trenchers assault/jam/survive, risen charge through and eat infantry, then restock. Alexia snipes out key solo or UA. Stormcallers finish off anything not dead already to electroleaps and Ironclad + Rowdy/Centurion eat up heavies. Sprinkle with solos to taste (Alton Ashley, Eiyriss, ATRiflemen, Journeyman Warcaster..)

It would not be pleasant for anyone who likes to run infantry, and probably threatening enough to worry heavy armor lists.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khisanth Magus posted:

Except Elara. Ret still likes her.

I like Andre9001, but his sculpt is dumb and boring as hell.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

Horgle is a bit of a goof. He is awesome with Pyre Trolls but not as good with Slags. Boosted attack damage rolls for 1 fury ain't bad on an AOE3. Him, 1x Pyre Troll and a unit of Fire Eaters is only 20pts, which is a pretty nasty little harassing force. Assault spray Fire Eaters, Pyre Troll animus and charge in with 2 fury still to boost. 2x initials at a power 14 isn't amazing, but it does damage and then you have a pissed off Pyre Troll in their midst that sets things on fire as it dies.

Calandra is very good. Befuddle absolutely anything since you sit at 8 Fury and can reroll whatever you want. Move closer, butt face, easy charge target or even better, Highwaymen + Braylen for 22x RNG 8 attacks that roll 3 dice and all 1's and 2's get rerolled. And Braylen is even sitting at a power 12 and not a Pow 10 like her lackies. Only problem is that Highwaymen are medium bases and getting everything into position can be a bit tough. Bullet Dodger and Star-Crossed are amazing together (and apart), Soothing Song is fantastic for running hot and a spell to knock things down. One of the best spell lists i've seen on a Warlock.

If I was recommending stuff to a new player, Calandra, Madrak2 and Ragnar would be the 3x Warlocks i'd recommend. Enough variety there to cover any army you want to run.

Thanks for this. I just came up on a large collection of trolls from a guy getting out of the game (family reunion, EE, RoW capable, plus extras).

Gonna be fun learning a new faction/game.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else planning on sending Hungerford weird erotic slash fiction for the Holden event stories each week?

Asking for a friend. :ninja:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

evenworse username posted:

Rad, that's better than I thought then. I guess the spell is disallowing stuff like Reposition then? (I am now uncertain what *isn't* Normal Movement, haha)

There are probably several examples, but the easiest go-to would be something like Counter Charge or Admonition that provides out-of-activation advances.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saalkin posted:

I just bought zombie birds. I dunno if they'll do well ever. Thinking they won't

Zombie birds are pretty fantastic. Couple them with babes or a caster with an arm debuff and they'll pretty reliably damage jacks. They just eat infantry.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

I said he's a poo poo,
not poo poo. Unfortunately,
Just a massive poo poo.

The Haiku of eBaldur.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

gannyGrabber posted:

Also apparently I am going to a team tournament! I'm gonna run my Vlad2 and need a decent pairing that is hopefully not Irusk. How does Kozlov fair against Wurmwood?

Would you be willing to share your list? I need to get in some games for the cowards league so I can earn a coin and I was thinking of dropping Vlad2, whom I haven't played yet. I want to see if I can distill out a 25 point rumble list for him.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

gannyGrabber posted:

This is my current Vlad2 list. It does very well!

Vlad2
-Behemoth
-Drago
Drakhun
Drakhun
Iron Fang Kovnik
Eliminators
Eliminators
IFP
-UA
Mechaniks (min)
Bombardiers (min)

I can tell you from experience that a really great Vlad2 list at 25 points is as follows...

Vlad2
-Behemoth
IFP
-UA
Eliminators

Though you can sub out Behemoth for Drago and a Jugg/Kodiak if you're not confident with a single heavy.

I was waiting on the behemoth resculpt to pick him up, so I can't quite field that one yet, but thanks a bunch, that's a couple really fun looking lists. I'll be looking at playing those when I pick up B.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimmy Hats posted:

I can tell you from experience that a really great Vlad2 list at 25 points is as follows...

Vlad2
-Behemoth
IFP
-UA
Eliminators

Though you can sub out Behemoth for Drago and a Jugg/Kodiak if you're not confident with a single heavy.

I ran that list with Demolisher and juggernaut into Kromak2 in a rumble game today with fantastic results. The IFP under vlad's feat and hand of fate are up a unit of wolfmans and took out 3/4 of ghetorix after surviving eating a charge from them.

My second game was Sorscha2 with B09, Berserker, WG Riglecorps, rockets and mortar into Reznik with his character jack, a crusader and 2 min units of knights errant with their solo. Needless to say, I clapped the knights off of the table in 2 turns of shooting they couldn't really handle and then charged the character jack, stationaried it, wind rush'd into Reznik and finished him off under feat.

drat it feels good to play khador in mk3. Next purchase will definitely be a behemoth, followed by a rager and then probably the MoW UA to see if steampunk tankmans are worth half a poo poo now.

I'm thinking of running them under Strakhov with Torch, a marauder and some assault kommanos just for that "never saw that coming"/burn it with fire slam sector jive.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also I built my malakov2 on butcher2's pile of corpses base bit. It's not ideal because of his feet-together pose, but I wasn't in the mood to buy another Irusk2 to swap torsos. The idea of Malakov on a pile of trenchers and suckered winterguard just feels like the static model was a real missed opportunity.

The butcher pile is sized for the interior dimensions of a 40mm base, so it's got a ton of overhang on Malakov's 30mm base. I don't play in steamroller or masters so I'm not going to worry about it, but before anyone points out that it's a super sketchy conversion for tournament play, I'm aware.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm curious how you fix mad dog spam without PURCHASE INVALIDATION!!!!!

Personally I think that everything should be fa:2 at maximum but too many people have invested too much in spam lists that such a change would result in so much salt and tears.

FA for beasts and jacks should be tied to the caster's fury or focus number. Karchev is Focus 6, so he can run 6 jacks, max.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
He's not wrong on any of the points he made. With a lack of light warjacks in the Khador stable I think there still should be a 7-8 point bargain jack to play with. I don't like the idea of Mad Dogs going to 9 points just to make them not spammable.

I know Saalkin doesn't like the idea, but seriously, just tie beasts/jacks number limit to a caster's casting stat. Fury 5 on Madrak, he can bring 5 beasts. Focus 10 on Harbinger? 10 jacks. It uses an existing stat on the cards without needing to reformat the layout. It almost forces people to consider infantry unless they're going to load up on character heavies and it addresses heavy spam, while allowing for things like Theme Lists to give the ability to run additional Jacks. (i.e. Vlad1 can bring 1 additional Berserker beyond his limit of 7 for every [insert theme gimmick here].)

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Local store had 50% off and buy one get one on PP paint sets, so I have the Trollbloods starter and PP paints now.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyone know the story on the Forward Kommander guy and whether or not he plans to convert to mk3? I know about Conflict Chamber, but I really preferred Forward Kommander for the tracker boxes on the printouts. I know he's been months behind for the last year of mk2, what I didn't know was whether or not he's said anything about shifting it over to mk3 eventually.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just finished building my mk3 Trollbloods starter and organizing my traded stuff.

Tons of Warbeasts? Check
4 units of Runeshapers? Check.
2 units of Stone Scribes? Check.

Looks like The Power of Dhunia is gonna be my jive.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimmy Hats posted:

Theme forces are pretty unexciting.

I prefer vaguely generic with a cool bonus ability than the completely hit-or-miss, S-tier vs. D-Tier themes in Mk2.

quote:

Am holding out hope for a jarl/grim +highwaymen themed one but it's looking unlikely!

So much this.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, the pleasure that comes from continuing to pay into the kitty that pays the salaries of Jason Soles and Will Hungerford, of course!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

The more I look at trolls the more I want to play them god DAMNIT

:getin:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimmy Hats posted:

I just traded Circle for Trolls and am super pleased + happy. Trolls rule

Happy for your troll, sad for your "every month is Christmas" faction.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
LGS is either closing, or changing ownership at the last minute, so I cleared out my store credit and wound up with Trollblood War Wagon and Protectorate mk3 starter.

It ends once you own everything, right?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
The troll war wagon is a super fun build and the ammo whelps are :shobon: as all get out.

I have no idea whether it's good or not, but my Gunnbjorn is going to surf that fucker to glory in a week or so.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

fadam posted:

Cygnar is actually the coolest faction because Caine is the coolest caster and the idea of a bunch of WW1 soldiers taking on elves and dragons is radical.

That's so mk2, man. Mercs have the cool cygnar guy now, so, like enjoy Maddox and her elite crossing guard warjack.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

We traded him for Magnus, who is pretty much Big Boss of the Iron Kingdoms.

And if he comes with a new badass sculpt and renegades in faction for cygnar, I'll be totes jelly. Until then, you got a story, nothing more.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

A fat neckbeard wielding a rulebook in a cosplay outfit? drat

Thread title for 2017, right here.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

KPC_Mammon posted:

This is exacerbated by people who claim everything is playable, just get what you like the look of.

Well, for the record, everything *is* playable and thematic lists are cool and fun if you're into cool and fun casual games. The seemingly singular problem in WMH now is that they're so goddamn laser focused on having a go-to game for tournament level grogs that they forgot to include "should be fun" in their #designspace.

Hence the "unplayable" models/units and "garbage-tier" casters.

People were talking a page back about not being able to articulate why mk3 wasn't fun... for me, it's been that the mk2 game, from journeyman on up, always seemed to be about having fun with your wardollies and 35 point lists. And when you wanted to step into 50s, you could do casual 50s until you got into steamrollers. The tournament stuff was the add on.

Now, it's all tournament-grade bullshit. And as such, everything is subject to tournament-grade scrutiny. It's a problem of their own making and unfortunately I don't think those dumb side-games coming in NQ issues will be able to fix it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

CaptCommy posted:

Yeah, I've seen this claim a few times in the thread, but I don't see anything to really support it. I can totally understand if a meta has become too tournament focused for a given person, but the model changes haven't really done anything to push it in a given direction.

It's not as much on a per model basis as it is about needing the high efficiency models/units to not get blown off the board in 2 turns (which is fun for exactly no one).

I *could* grind 4-5 games a week to "get good" and give in to tournament play, or I could wish I could play my 2-3 games a month casually with friends on miniatures night and feel like I got everything I wanted out of the game.

The second option doesn't exist around my area anymore.

quote:

He'll, they've introduced a new casual format (Rumble) and are working on another (Grind). So I'd like to see some reasons why people think Mk3 is only tournament focused or w/e

Rumble was cool and I did the first crossroads of courage event entirely in rumble format, but the new PG in my area is pushing people hard to get into the Cog/I5 tournament circuit, so all pretense of casual play is out the window.

This may be more specific to my meta than others, but let's be honest, there's no journeyman/35 point accepted casual format in mk3. The new journeyman is babbys first steamroller.

I have zero faith in the announced "new games". Grind was boring and the board games held no interest for me when I tried to play them. I don't believe PP can deviate well from their basic mechanics and keep things interesting to me over a long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

fnordcircle posted:

If you're a vet who brings a tournament list against new players you're human garbage. I mean not really, but kind of.

How does that work out when said vet only recommends tournament-level models/units/list to new guys?

Because, hey, it's not being garbage when you bring strong lists to counter someone's WTC netlist copy.

(I get what you mean, but this poo poo is rampant)