Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So, after a long hiatus I decided to get back into Warmachine, and I'm starting to look at foam trays and cases as my lists approach being painted.

What would you all recommend? I'd like to avoid dealing with battlefoam, if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Thanks folks, I think I'm goona take a look at KR. I use to have an Army Transport case, but it looks like they've went in price and are no longer the bargain they once were.

Setting up a magnet case is pretty much a no no for me.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just curious as to why?

Its a combination of things. The premade cases are way too pricy, and putting together a homemade case myself is a bit more than I have time for right now.

But honestly, I know how to set up foam to my liking, and my paintjobs aren't good enough for me to go that extra mile to protect them from what's really a minor issue for me. (I think i see more damage from handling minis than foam scratching paint). I'd rather not risk loving up the magnetization of the bases, after seeing a buddy gently caress up the same thing, and he arrived at Lock'n'Load with a case full of smashed minis a few years back.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Mugaaz posted:

You can't gently caress up the magnetization of the bases without either being incompetent or an epic fail down the stairs. If you're into mini/wargaming as a hobby, magnets are always cheaper in the long run. You never can have enough foam, and large chunks of are either not useful or require you to insert extra foam to gap fill. It is a never ending hassle. Magnets are just so, so much better. I can fit a unit of 40 infantry in a 6x11x3 inch space. Try doing that with foam.

I've never really had these issues with foam. I'm comfortable with it, it works for me, and doesn't end up with me smashing some of my minis if I gently caress it up somehow. I'd rather just stick with what I know.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

rydiafan posted:

So what are people's thoughts on Captain Piggeus Shae?

I see a lot of "Why is this pig everything Thyron should be, but isn't?"

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

No interest in the Legion CID with its Blight Archon and Bethayne 2's Immovable Meat Wall?

I played a game against Bethayne2 a couple days ago.

That feat is uh, something else. The Legion player just lets you do a bunch of damage that doesn't really mean much, heals some aspects, and then you'll probably lose a lot, if not all of what you alpha struck with.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Maneck posted:

It was supposed to be balanced around the damage not being healable or something? That mechanic has been abandoned and the feat heavily reworked now because it seems no one knew how it worked mechanically.

On unit beast changes, it seems the goal is making a few beasts good rather than raising awful units to some semblance of functionality. Adjustments to the Terraph and the Nephilim Protector are unsurprising, but completely ignoring lessers and the rest of the nephilim in favour of making adjustments to heavies is. Blight Wasps especially, which they broke as part of the 3.5 rules.

Ah, its entirely possibly it was played wrong, with new poo poo like that mistakes are inevitable. I put Gaspy4 on a Naga Nightluker camping a zone, full 5 focus + a charge, did not kill anything. Never missed either.

What is it now?

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 22, 2020

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

New Agatha seems okay? Seems like PP acknowledging Dark Host kinda sucks, so here's some Bane Knights for your Scourge list.

Getting the most out of Death Shroud seems risky though, goona have to test it but I think she might be a little too balsy when I have to face loving Agathon in a full quarter of the matches I play.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I had a couple good games at Warmachine Weekend with some goons many years ago, but beyond that it never really struck me as a particularly great system.

I kinda hope this new Witchfire thing they're putting out isn't as awful as the 3.5 adventure path though.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

S.J. posted:

As much as I don't like it, I think 5e is just objectively better than 3.5, so it's at least got that going for it? I guess?

I'd love to get together for goon RPG/warmahordes/whatever at Warfaire Weekend again some time after (hopefully) covid isn't so incredibly lovely.

It wasn't so much that it was 3.5 (although I remember the Pain of Healing and Mechanika rules being really dumb), but rather it was railroady as gently caress.

Its basically "player choice? Pfff, gently caress that. This is the watch Alexia do plot stuff that's already happened happy hour. Enjoy the ride!"

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

rantmo posted:

Broadly it says that there's a tense peace, Lael is free, Ord exists, Cygnar and Khador have seen better days but are rebuilding and Tristan Durant led what Protectorate civilians didn't go through the gate at Henge Hold to Zu.

Wait the Protectorate just packed up and left?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

It's sorta clawing some of that back, but yeah it's nothing like the heyday of Mk2.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

PP was deliberately aiming for the "hardcore tournament viable game" slot, in that they wanted a game that people could play competitively for high stakes. this was in contrast to warhammer, which while fun, was always plagued with balance issues.

the problem was PP's utter unwillingness to do the work to create that kind of game, most notably by aggressively policing power level. cryx was head and shoulders above the next-best faction, and gaspy2 was so much better than the second best thing you could be doing in cryx, that the meta centralized hard around either playing him and Tartarus or beating him and Tartarus. CID was clearly a reaction to people begging for nerfs to outlying performers, but doing it faction-by-faction just ended up creating another power level merry-go-round.

I'ma disagree with you a bit here. Gaspy2 was too good for a few years, but eventually (I think it was his second) errata took him down to a point where he wasn't a complete monster. No characters on the feat took away his bitchin' assassination game, and left him as a still quite strong attrition caster. Mk3 nerfing excarnate did the rest.

You know who was bullshit for entirety of Mk2?

Fuckin' Harby. Best scenario caster in the game, bar none. Even with my best Cryx lists I always hoped to dodge her and High Reclaimer, because I had no answers to her bullshit or a cloud wall. Pound for pound Menoth played the scenario game better than anyone.

People always remember Cryx as the biggest boogeyman because I could do poo poo like win on turn 2 with Denny2 if you army was slow enough. (I quit before Body and Soul)

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

rantmo posted:

Holy poo poo that's a shock. Not an encouraging sign for PP.

A shock, really? They've been bleeding talent for a long time now.

I still kinda like the game, but even I have to admit it's not surprising when experienced designers leave PP for greener pastures.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Now I'm reminded of how much I dislike their aesthetic and how they clash with everything else in Warmahordes.

look @ me gettin' mad at toy soldiers ITT

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

S.J. posted:

I mean, this really depends on the person, but I totally understand how you feel. To me and a lot of people I know, basically any version of marines are the most boring, vanilla poo poo in existence, and 40k is just worse off for their overwhelming presence in the game. And seeing how much similarities there are between most of the power armored armies and how prevalent they are, 40k's aesthetic got me burned out super hard outside of a few things that GW will never focus on.

Although to be honest, outside of the warbeasts/warjacks of various factions, most of the infantry never really did it for me, regardless of how much I liked them. I still just want to play armies that consist mostly of warjacks.

I'm kinda the opposite, I loved Banes and would run at least 2 units in most of my Mk2 Lists.

Now, they basically worthless dogshit and my Stalkers do all the heavy lifting :sigh:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I think under Agathia with the Henchmen buff they're okay, but I think it's pretty telling that they need +2 Def, Mat, and Apparition to be competitive these days. I'm also not generally a fan of Agathia even after the re-work really, so there's that.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

MCPeePants posted:

Look for second hand stuff, you should be able to get a LOT for your money.

You can get armies for like 25% of MRSP now, especially if you're willing to strip paintjobs. Sometimes less if you find someone that just wants to unload their poo poo.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

So I just played against the post-CID Ret yesterday.

In what world are Executioners considered to be balanced?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I think a lot of those themes were pretty late in Mk2's lifespan weren't they? Body and Soul wasn't a thing when I was playing Cryx at least.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

S.J. posted:

Some specific ones were, because they were tied to a models release. Like Bradigus. But a lot of them weren't.

It's certainly true that a lot of themes weren't worth playing, but that's in large part because the themes that were good were obscenely good, even faction defining.

When I played Mk2, most of the themes in the faction books were widely considered to be garbage compared to the lists you could manually construct. Later releases (like Vayl2) had better themes that saw competitive play, but I got around and never really saw a lot of them. I was in a fairly competitive meta at the time as well.

I played Cryx for like 3-4 years in Mk2, and never Body and Soul for example. I only heard about after coming back to Mk3.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

koreban posted:

Khador not even mentioned in the nerf list validated by gut feeling about the state of the faction.

Ditto for Cryx.

The last time I played at a club, one of our top tourney guys remarked that you could probably put pre-nerf Gaspy2 back in the game without really changing much, such is the state of the power curve these days.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this dynamic update.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Deathjack is down to 18 points, Drag works on hit now, and Aikos2 has a 10 inch range on his Harpoon. Also, leap is going to work at the beginning or end of movement now.

So far, so good.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

!Klams posted:

Is it all going to be drip fed like this?

Yeah, this came from some podcast iirc. Like xiw says, full drop is in 11 days.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I think the actual rules come out tomorrow, and they hit war room on the 25th.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Meanwhile, Banes are still "Meh", they're just slightly cheaper "Meh"

I do like some of the changes, and might give Aikos2 a spin now. Overall I'll probably be able to make better lists and not have to make as many hard choices, but tbh I was hoping for a bit more as far as actual rules changes.

I do have to say though, base pow 7 on Gaspy1's feat is interesting.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 21, 2021

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

S.J. posted:

Deathjack at 18 points is very appealing imo, and Bane Riders might be playable now. I think Cryx has got some good things here too. All the Colossals/Gargs dropping in the 30-33 range is great imo.

Oh don't get me wrong, DJ at 18 points is quite good. Nightmare at the same cost? Not so much :v:

I had a list with the Coven and double bane riders I was trying to get working, with the new point reductions I may be able to fit a wraith engine back in and make the list workable. Small bases banes are still pretty trash, and tbh I'm not really happy about the force barrier nerf for my Saytxis.

Maneck posted:

Interested to see if Beast Mistresses become useful. They cut her price in half, shredders are down to 3, blight wasps got a buff. Also, she can now control lights - although that doesn't help with the major issue of keeping her alive.

It's interesting that some units they took the time to try to fix why they were terrible. But lots they left as terrible and priced them as dirt cheap bodies. Which, I suppose, is a fair design choice.

Yeah, I wonder if they looked at these units and said "eh, we'll fix'em in the next CID?" The issue with a lot of units isn't necessarily just their cost. I'm not running Bane Warriors because of their 1 wound def 12 arm 15 victim stats combined with no defensive tech, not because a full unit was 2 points too expensive.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

They needed something new, and Orgoth was the thing folks clamoured for despite PP swearing up and down that would never happen for years.

Looks-wise they did kinda shoot themselves in the foot, their new look is kinda lacking compared to the old viking/oni crossover thing they had going on.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

We had a pretty big competitive community here in Alberta during Mk2, a combination of Mk3's bad rollout and people moving on killed off about half of it.

A few months ago Asoiaf killed the rest of it, to where 4 people showing up to play warmahordes is rare.

We'll see what Mk4 brings

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

It plays kinda like a smaller scale version of Warhammer Fantasy crossed with modern design, so rank and flank mixed with premeasuring and a card deck you play for extra abilities. It's really caught on locally with both our competitive folks and non-competitive folks.

Ever since the latest rules update it really seems to be picking up steam again, product issues aside.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

So, some of the overall changes sound good but if Cryx just got squatted that might be it for me.

Doubt I'd even be able to sell my minis.

Edit: I know that I'll technically be getting Mk4 rules for everything currently out, but the thought of that being it (and thus Cryx withering from a lack of active development) is quite concerning to say the least.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 27, 2022

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

New Ghostly is kinda weird, a bit better overall.

Not really impressed with the "Bane" army thus far though. Seems like it'll be a while before I touch Mk4

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Just going off of all the wartable diagrams I keep seeing, the new movement seems kinda janky, charging especially seems kinda weird when it's unit vs unit

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, as far as cognitive load goes, I find it much easier to understand that X guy is speed Y, therefore he can go up to here. Rather than say, any one guy in the unit can go Y and then teleport every other guy Y+2 inches.

Although it might be a moot point, WMH basically died in my meta.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 29, 2022

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

rydiafan posted:

WMH basically died in every meta. Hopefully the new edition can attract new players., because the handful of old guard out there weren't keeping PP afloat.

I'm not trying to be dismissive of concerns or preferences, but the big picture is MK3 was going away anyway. The option was never "keep the game the same" it was "Mk4 or death".

I more or less meant that I'm not sure why I'm so invested, it's not like I'd get to play Mk4 even if it tickled my fancy.

PP had to do something drastic to avoid completely dying, that much is true. But too be perfectly frank, I'm not sure that PP has what it takes to pull this off. It seems like you'd need more people and more resources than they have to pull off a big change like this, and given their previous fits and starts I'm not sure they can make Mk4 a success.

Don't get me wrong, I hope I'm off base and PP succeeds. I'd never want them to go under or for people to stop enjoying the game, I guess I'm slowly coming to the realization (like I did with 40k) that this game is not for me anymore, and it's time to sell my poo poo.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

S.J. posted:

As much as I want to believe them, having heard about how cheap Matt and his wife are when it comes to materials and personnel, I'll wait and see.

This kind of thing is why my faith is lacking personally, even back in the day if you were in the know you'd hear how poo poo PP paid and whatnot.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

There was also stuff like at the start of Mk3, Skorne literally did not work as written. I don't know the specifics, but apparently it was so bad it required a massive once-over again on the faction to get everything working again.

Building on what the others said, a big part of Mk2's success was the anemic performance of GW at the time, led by absolute genius Tom Kirby. Under his tenure GW basically kinda let 40k languish and just assumed everyone didn't really care too much about the rules they put out, and would buy their pretty pewter dolls anyways. (I think Warhammer Fantasy was blown up around this time as well iirc) So you had a lot of what we called "Warhammer refugees" who were enticed by this new, reasonably tight and effective competitive ruleset that PP had put out with Mk2, and were pissed about 40k's current state.

On top of that, because of the competitive focus of the game at the time, list theorycrafting became a cottage industry, with forums and podcasts springing up like weeds. This in turn drove and engaged a pretty active community, and Warmahordes had quite a healthy tournament scene for a number of years. At the time, GW didn't have official events and big unofficial tournaments were kinda rare, I don't think the GT circuit had started up yet.

When Mk3 hit, it seems like the designers felt that balance was getting away from them, and thus decided to balance stuff around theme lists, I think the thought was its easier to balance a smaller pool of stuff with limited options. This led to a host of issues that SJ touched on, like a lot of decisions being made with a framework in mind that didn't exist yet. When new themes came out (like Ghost Fleet) they often straight up dominated older stuff thanks to thier crazy bonuses. Eventually themepocalypse hit and tings more or less evened out, but by then much of the community had either moved on, quit, or went back to 40k.

Edit: I also kinda forgot to add, when GW got a new CEO you started seeing a lot of changes, and while I still think 40k has a lot of issues, it is a far, far better game than it was back in the heyday of Mk2.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 8, 2022

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I was in a similar situation with my cryx. Decent sized scene at my store so I got back in sometime during late 2020.

Luckily I was able to sell everything for about half retail, which was way more than I expected

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

zerofiend posted:

That's much higher than I would expect at this point. A friend gave me multiple armies to do with whatever, and I sold most of it for maybe 30% retail just before the bottom fell out.

Yeah I got lucky for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

God, yeah. Imagine looking at Legion as a new player and being told "maybe you'll have models in late 2023?"