Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

For_Great_Justice posted:

It sucks. I just don't enjoy 40k since its either flood the board with bodies till you time out or set down a gun line an point at stuff till its off the board. Theres issues in any game but at least in wmh if I charge its speed + 3 not d6 an pray. After suffering overwatch even if you don't make it.

I've been having the exact same thought as someone who is much too into Age of Sigmar and just sold his 40k, but nobody in my location plays Warmahordes anymore. It's all either GW or the infinity numbers of lovely indie skirmish games and I would like to escape from 80's game design, thanks.

I've been eyeing the Cygnar battleforce. Are the two player sets still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I should get back into Skorne too. I keep looking at other factions but warjacks look like garbage most of the time, so it's Hordes for me and Skorne interests me the most.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So, did I pick a bad time to try and get into anything PP made? It looks like most Warmachine/Hordes products are on low stock or sold out everywhere. I'm guessing the pandemic wasn't kind to Privateer Press, and they've got Warcaster coming up as well. Was hoping to pick up a Cygnar battlegroup when I got paid.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'll see what I can do then.

E: managed to find a local place that does have some stock! Lucky.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 23, 2020

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm sort of more annoyed that the predicted price point for the 50 point starter boxes is going to be as much as a Horus Heresy starter. I wonder if 25 points is going to be a different format, because that's the preferred level I would like to play at.

Otherwise this looks like a thing that makes me want to get back into the game again!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah I wonder if Warcaster ideas of how many units are on the board come into MK4. There is meant to be some leeway in these sets for swapping units, so it's likely there's more than 25 points of stuff there, but at the same time I wonder if they're going to be playing with reserves or something similar.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
You're probably better off, haha. I'm guessing it's nothing but doomsaying in there?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm a weirdo who likes the Storm knights aesthetic and the new jacks, but I definitely think some staples are gonna come across. The little chicken jacks for Cryx, trenchers, etc.

My main issue is that MK3 infantry units are a billion different special rules and I hope some simplification is done. Look at the Warmachine University entry for regular old Trencher infantry and tell me that isn't some poo poo.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
They should take another look at unit movement - there was nothing wrong with the leader system and it's something Star Wars Legion still uses to its benefit. I think one of the main "bugs" is Reposition doesn't state units need to stay in coherency when making the reposition move, unless there's some rules thing I'm missing there.

I'm still caustiously optimistic, but we definitely have a way to go.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

rydiafan posted:

There's no such thing as coherency anymore.

This seems bad imo.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Why?

They've almost entirely eliminated out of activation movement, and with the way that units move you can't willingly leave "coherency" during a unit's activation, apart from something relatively small like reposition.

We've just had someone post a situation where a unit of Bane Riders can spread out in a weird way that causes them to threaten an incredible amount of the board. Intnetional or not, that feels incredibly negative and unintuitive and shows the "relatively small" benefit of reposition can in fact be massive. I'm willing to wait and see if it's as big an issue as its being protrayed as or not, but at face value it seems like PP are walking into a problem that's already been solved.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If the lines vanish after primer than I kinda don't care about lines. At least it won't be the wretched plastic from the mk3 battleboxes.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This is absolutely bananas to me. Hello, yes, we have the perfect low cost entry point to the new version of our game - that's only available in this tiny timeframe, can be cancelled at any time within that timeframe if too many people want it, and will never be sold again. If you want to get into the game in the future, wait for the box set that costs $200.

Just bonkers. Nobody is going to start a new game by dropping that much cash unless they were brought in already or are part of wargaming for long enough that they except/know these prices.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
H2 oh no

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've somehow gone from anticipating MK4 to some kind of schadenfreude at this and I don't quite know why. Just coming back onto the scene with these wild promises and then your opening move is selling potential skin burns in boxes to people at a con.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 5, 2022

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Do not make another death thread, we've already seen multiple times what that leads to

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
What the gently caress is your damage dude

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
At least it hasn't had a visible (yet) effect on Monsterpocalypse or Warcaster, although that's cold comfort when they're strapped to the rest of PP.

Has there been anything about Rivenstone, that definitely-not-Warmahordes game? Was that by some ex-PP people?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Just hurling ideas at the wall to try and right the ship, huh? Disappointing.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This is like the moment in Age of Sigmar history where factions were getting unique terrain pieces with their own rules, except everyone has to buy multiple copies and the people behind the idea are like "my 'we're not desperate for money' t-shirt is raising a lot of questions etc etc".

And now oddly enough GW doesn't make those anymore and most of them can be completely ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Yeah with gw ones a) you tend to get really nice piece of terrain you can use for anything b) only ones that were "required" were lizard pyramid and sylvaneth wyldwoods.

This I wouldn't want to use for anything once PP goes belly up

Its a little mindblowing the tree kits are "required" for the sylvaneth but i think they rewrote those rules so you don't have to buy em, you can just point at the game club's out of scale medieval house and go "overgrown, counts as the trees" or something

i play the deepkin and i can count the number of times their shipwreck has been useful on precisely 0 fingers so ive been leaving it at home