Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
When they said the different Warjack heads would give different abilities, I kinda expected them to look dramatically different. I mean, I don't think people will care that much about head WYSIWYG as the weapons, but it feels like an odd thing to introduce as a differentiating factor, and then... have them be so similar (Unless you paint them differently, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I think an overall SKU reduction is fine, but like many people have thrown around, once they have a good stock of product done and printed, they could have a dedicated print-to-order section of their website where older models are periodically added to a "Legacy Roster" list. They wouldn't have to worry about distributors and warehouse space if everything is sold directly through their online store, and it doesn't cost them more or less than printing any other figure.

I don't even really care about necessarily making all these units playable in the new version. I just think a lot of the older models still have a great aesthetic that would be a waste to not try and salvage. What really attracted me to WMH in the first place was how chunky the Warjacks were. And while sure they can just make new models to replace the old ones, I think it would show the community that PP actually gives a poo poo, if they said "Hey, we heard your concerns. We're not gonna have everything ready upfront, but we're slowly going to roll out support our older catalogue alongside our new models."

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

koreban posted:

There’s just nothing new coming out of PP that seems to be clicking with people. MonPoc was fun and might be popular, but not in any shops near where I am. No one locally is even talking about it, so maybe that’s just a proximity bias, but given how close to Seattle I am and the popularity of WMH in its prime around here, I’d have thought there would be some lingering love for their games. Not the case.

I think there'll be a small resurgence in MonPoc once the KS sets ship out, but by that point who knows where PP might be with their other games.

I think, how Mk IV seems to be launching, they don't really have a chance at popularity past small niche communities. If they were hoping to breathe new life into the game, they would have to make drastic changes, not just to the game itself but to the management handling everything, to make the game appealing to new players. Like others have said, there are SO many skirmish games nowadays, ranging from super popular to very niche; I can't imagine how hard it must be to try and cut through, not just the amount of games, but especially GW's shadow over the tabletop wargame sphere at the moment. The one leg-up WMH has over an actual new game is that it does have a recognizable name & legacy to a good amount of veteran gamers. But with how the new launch is slowly being bungled and legacy armies are being handled, I think most veterans are more likely to tell newbies to avoid the game until things turn around.

Honestly, I thought those Gen-Con starter boxes would have been a great way to launch, but they were just a convention exclusive teaser? (and also $75 for 3 models...) They need something where a newcomer can just walk into a store, buy a box with X models, and start playing the game. Anything short of that, where someone has to lead them and show which models they need from a rack of boxes, is more and more barriers to entry.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 27, 2022

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

quote:

Because they are being produced externally, they are not impacting our own production bandwidth, nor will they have to be made-to-order, so we do not anticipate any delays in their delivery at this time.

I don't understand PP at all. If I remember right, I think this is the same arrangement they had to produce the Gen-con boxes (the price and contents are definitely a similarity). So, they're still paying for external print farms, operating at such capacity that they don't have to worry about made-to-order, to launch new factions that won't be available until who knows when. All while the In-house printers are busy printing legions of Khador models. Have these external printers been producing these boxes ever since Gen-con, and that's why they're promising better supply?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 2, 2022

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I know the "make a character into a cute anime girl" thing is a super overplayed trope, but having the UFO as a skirt is kinda fun. And she's not super sexualized, so I give Anime Martian Waifu a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

It's a cute little tower, and unlike some terrain makers, they actually designed it to be taken apart for models to be inserted; so that's a plus. I still just feel a bit confused, knowing that this is 3d resin printed. Ignoring all the back and forth controversy of their print work up until now, it just feels weirdly inefficient to use resin printers to make big boxy towers like this?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 11, 2023