Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Not me! There are plenty of people who are trying to get Mk. 4 to work here. There's still an unmistakable net migration out of the game. And for reasons which were widely expected.

The production and quality control problems which were inherent to the move to 3D printing have played out pretty close to what many predicted. New or returning players can't get in because it's hard to get new models and they're often breakage requiring replacement.

I personally have been caught in wrong model hell, which was also predicted as a problem. I can't field anything that makes sense with what I have built and painted. I had been relying on Gargantuan beasts to play in Mk. 3 and those currently have no rules. Coupled with bad guesses on what models would be included in armies and I'm currently not able to play. I got Zuriel ready to this summer go as the expected centerpiece of the Blighted Nyss list. This week he was omitted from new new Legion list, and with both Legion legacy prime armies out, that means he'll never be in Prime. He was the center of Children of the Dragon (the Nyss theme list) for a long time. He doesn't seem to pose any balance problems. The explanation is probably as simple as Privateer Press didn't want to spend an hour porting rules over. Argh.

I also painted up a Spawning Vessel because a) I think it's a cool model and b) Privateer Press expressly identified it would be in the cadre for Legion (i.e. the list of models which can be taken in any legacy army of that faction). Unfortunately, so far Cadres are completely missing, so it's another thing I got ready to go that I can't use.

Both of those are on top of 5 of the past 6 most recent Legion model releases not making it into either Prime army list, and 4 of the last 6 have no rules for Mark 4 whatsoever.

Which is to say I'm looking at the effort I made to try to be able to play a Mk. 4 game, looking at the models I do have ready but which I can't use, and feeling like I would have been much happier if I spent my time working on Crisis Protocol.

The game has also died in a few nearby pockets where it had survived. Regional tournaments are no longer happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
New kickstarter is up for an Iron Kingdoms RPG expansion. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/privateerpress/iron-kingdoms-into-the-deep-wild-5e

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
There's an update on the Kickstarter but it's more of the same. And I mean that on several levels. Privateer Press added a $49 add-on as the Kickstarter hasn't moved much after passing 200,000 USD and they want it to move again. I'm not sure it's going to work. The add-on is a handful of models:

Which gives me the same feeling I've had about so much Privateer Press does these days: "Okay, it's fine to do that. Someone may want it."

Those models are resin versions of sculpts originally created for the Widower's Wood board game Kickstarter. The originals models were (I think) PVC. Consequently, the sculpts weren't the best, but they came in quantity and with a full game. They were great for what they were. In this new context, the price to value ratio seems off and the result is underwhelming.

On the positive side, this seems like an example of what it was pointed out that Privateer Press could do with their 3D print based manufacturing: use their new 3D printers to do special runs of old sculpts that had electronic files. Here, they chose to do it with sculpts that aren't going to benefit from the high level of detail achievable, but in the future it could happen with better stuff.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
That makes some sense. Cephalyx came through to Mk. 4 with all their models. The limited factions did way better than the main ones in this respect. The Mk. 4 design seems to be for armies of that size.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
As of August 31, the War Room 2 app will be removed from Google Play. Basically, Google regularly updates its standards and War Room 2's engine will not be brought into compliance. It'll still work on old devices but installing it on new ones will be painful.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Privateer Press announced the new army called the Shadowflame Shard:

https://www.wargamer.com/warmachine/warhammer-rival-warmachine-shadowflame-shard

Supposed to be Legion crossed with Cryiss. As someone who picked up the game because I liked Legion warbeasts, the aesthetic here does not have me sold yet.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The comment that at least part of the problem is the current Privateer Press studio painter because they slap NMM on everything is dead on. Someone who got a preview release of Kymera painted them up like this:

I like them much better when treated as Everblight models with a tiny Cryiss influence.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

Could someone explain NMM please?

What rydiafan posted. It's a neat, eye-catching technique, and requires technical skill to pull off. Privateer Press's current painter has this technique nailed, possibly because they practice by putting it everywhere:

Eye-catching everywhere is visually confusing.

Edit: Whereas, here's some of those models painted and posted on reddit. The models are great when they can be visually deciphered:

Maneck fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 18, 2023

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
On the point of paper copies, in November of 2022, they said that the app would support printing, eventually:

quote:

Q: When will the cards be printable?

A: Card-printing capability was a late addition to our development plan, so while we are committed to providing print capability, we currently cannot accurately forecast the timeline for availability.

18 months later, no sign of that feature. My phone's battery is garbage and I play infrequently enough that I need to check the stats for every unit every time, so I really hope they actually do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
They've added a print to PDF for armies in the app. Desktop version only. The implementation isn't fantastic, but it's nice to finally have the option.