Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
No problem: http://conflictchamber.com/#bb1b5E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3Ed2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

The flank ruling isn't as dumb as mk2 incorporeal rulings were yet!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

chutche2 posted:

That saves a point which can turn lanyssa into something like janissa

we need a journeyman format where you can change N letters in models to turn them into others.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Played 8 games this weekend - 4 mk3 release event and 4 Steamroller.

For the release event I played Amon with 6 heavies and 2 lights and no support. Field Marshall: Parry makes up for the lack of choir.

* Vs Vyros2's battlegroup-only jack gunline - got wrecked by forgetting to move Amon forward on feat turn and forcing my heavies to fight out of synergy range, then forgetting about Vyros's feat when trying to assassinate him. I feel like I had a good shot at this one, but just needed not to mess it up.

* Vs Haley2 with stormblades, defenders, firefly, and gun mages, jammed with my heavies before her feat and weathered it well, but got wrecked mostly by Defenders in melee eating my cortexes! Amon sadly didn't tough against the last shot of his turn.

* Vs Bart, his galleon, 4 talons, Alexia2, and support - walled up but almost got Amon killed turn 1 to blast damage despite a vigilant being there to use, whoops. The talons are vicious - having to shake focus on 4-5 jacks a turn meant I couldn't get heavies properly into the galleon, even with fortify available to kind of deal with his feat.

* Vs Borka's battlegroup-only, Rok, Mountain King, mauler, and lights. Not that much he could do here since I fed the MK a templar that he failed to kill - chased Borka around until I mashed him. Amon had a scary moment with an assault spray from the MK but it missed by one.

Day two, I played the Amon list replacing the castigator with jack support, paired with Vindictus with errants, daughters, and cinerators. Divide and conquer is in steamroller by default now!

* Vs Severius2 with a large battlegroup and high-def infantry. This was a very Mark 3 game, with a huge mosh of heavies smashing into each other - mine hit harder and moved faster, his had Vision to ignore hits. Parry was amazing here for weaving through the lines. Tried to smash Sevvy, walked out of synergy range, and then toughed twice to his spell counterassassination to win. Tough+Steady is a thing.

* Vs Witch Coven with ghost raiders, banes, deathjack, and a harrower. I'd taken the objective that gave magic weapons for a reason - this let me shoot half the ghosts under the coven's feat, and mobility let me walk and half-kill deathjack, following up with jamming heavies. Lost one jack only to all the banes, then was able to clear everything up with a flashing blade killing 6 banes and a crusader trampling to kill 7 models and then the objective. Devouts are far easier to use now.

* Vs Lucant, two TEPS, and Prime Axiom - TEPS are even more terrifying now. Skirmished a bit initially until I was able to kill both TEPs in a turn - was feeling pretty good, then Lucant+Axiom killed 3 heavies in return. Finished the Axiom, Lucant finished all the heavies, and it came down to Amon charging Lucant, and the clock running out before I made my third attack.

At this point I was required to play Vindictus - he was up against Ossyan, Discordia, Hypnos, Hyperion, AFG, and rifle teams. So my feat wasn't going to do much, but on the other hand there was no screen to keep me off him. Nicia and daughters ran up flanks and killed the rifle team, while errants and cinerators waited behind an annoying forest. At this point I discovered Hypnos, when half the errants got shadow bound out of line of sight! Discordia's spray also damaged Vindie and the Covenant, preventing both from casting spells - but I shield guarded a crit-consume Hyperion shot off to the templar, which would have eaten the covenant and a bunch of other stuff. Post Ossyan's feat I had no issues just dominating his zone and jamming him well out of it with daughters.

So 1/3 day 1, 3/1 day 2, and best sports from the release event - alas our release kit hadn't arrived in time, but we got these fetching photos of Some Dudes wearing the medals instead.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

mp5 posted:

What exactly was your Amon list? I played him this weekend and got loving slaughtered and I'd like more ideas to not get slaughtered.

http://conflictchamber.com/#b21be-0jge0m0t0F090v1u23231Y
(Amon 1) High Allegiant Amon Ad-Raza [+29]
- Crusader [10]
- Devout [9]
- Guardian [15]
- Reckoner [16]
- Vanquisher [17]
- Vigilant [9]
- Templar [15]
Choir of Menoth (max) [6]
Vassal of Menoth [3]
Vassal of Menoth [3]
Vassal Mechanik [1]
Armory

Mostly 'how many painted heavies can I fit in 75 pts' but everything was pretty handy - the templar is a great fortify target and I jammed with it in every game, guardian is your MAT7/9 synergy starter, reckoner provides flare/ashenveil/a gun and has the longest threat, vanquisher means you're not helpless against infantry swarms, and crusader handles cleanup at POW23. Meanwhile you're surprise shield guarding with the templar/devout and keeping Amon safe with the vigilant. Armory on the vanquisher saved my butt against Cryx. The chain weapons are also great.

Someone just pointed out the Menoth forums you can throw Amon 6" or 9" with a castigator or judicator, build synergy, then forfeit Amon's combat action, advance 6" with parry (or 8" with mobility if you need it), then buy flashing blade attacks. If you're willing to risk taking a POW18+3d6 (only kills him on triple 6's if you spend focus) you can throw at an enemy target to avoid deviation. This gives him 19" of personal threat and you get to measure out to see if it's doable before you commit.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I keep forgetting to roll tough for all my pigs. Mk3 is such a burden.

So far I'm 2 for 3 on tough rolls on Amon. An excellent way of frustrating people!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

'Glass gem' is the term to look for - garden centres often have them in big cheap sacks, also florists use them.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/decorative-glass-gems
http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-clear-glass-cabochons.html

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

And clouds have the same clause.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I picked up a Circle starter box instead of the Menoth one for the journeyman league here. We're going +15 pts per week instead of the wonky listed ones.

This is as far as I've purchased:

Week 1: Tanith
Gorax
Argus
Pureblood

Week 2 - 15 - add Riphorn Satyr
Week 3 - 30 - add full Reeves
Week 4 - 45
Week 5 - 60
Week 6 - 75

I have no idea where to go after that though - I have Alten Ashley to add at some point, but no idea what's good in Circle these days.

Presumably magnetising a warpwolf box will be a good call but fitting it in at +15 points a week looks like a hassle. I'm not really interested in changing warlocks for this league though. Any recommendations?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

KPC_Mammon posted:

I feel like this is good advice for nearly every faction, due to how dumb week 2's 10 bg only points ends up.

Yeah that's pretty much why we're doing 0 15 30 45 60 75 instead of the weird points scheme in the document.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Paul Proteus posted:

How are you adding full reeves? They are 16 pts.

I'm still trying to figure this out myself. I hate all satyrs not called shadowhorn, so i may do a scarsfell and another argus. Or shadowhorn then an 18 pt unit or heavy the next week.

Riphorn's 14, so week 2 I play one point down then week 3 play at 30 pts, unless I'm missing something. Note our league is 0-15-30 not the default.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Yeah at this point it had to be a satyr because that and the serve box were what I could get in time for the league - noeits time to actually order for the end half...

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

CaptCommy posted:

I totally don't understand this criticism. POW 19 with 3 fury is what loving Imperatus usually runs around at and I don't think anyone would say he hits like a pussy. And the Rip Horn has another initial, charges for free (which Impy only gets with Vyros) and has a Chain Attack for yet another extra attack in there. Like, I understand Impy has some other advantages over the Rip Horn, but that thing hits like a mac truck for 14 pts. 7 POW 19's with a free charge averages ~45 dmg against an ARM 20 heavy, which is totally fine in my book.

Is that with Primal and Scything Touch from another beast? (I really need to sit down and read every card in Circle to get a feel for what the standard buffs are...)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I guess the nice thing about upgraded juniors is that I'm gonna feel no guilt proxying them using their previous models!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Can a Menoth veteran explain to me what good the Sanctifier is? Do you just use them against Cryx? What gives?

I don't think they're that compelling but mostly because the rest of Menoth's heavy lineup evened up a bunch in utility - the Sanctifier's niche is tight enough that you will generally go for something else. If they hadn't lost 1 POW they'd be fine I reckon.

They used to be a good 3rd or 4th heavy in a jack-heavy list - I used one with Durst for example with a reclaimer on the opposite flank to be able to fully load 4 heavies after his feat turn.

The fundamental problem is that incorp spam feels like it's gone down in threat a bunch now that they can't free strike and mess you up - so exorcist is so edge case. I played into rengrave's with Amon and was kind of wishing I had a sanctifier, but in play flashing blade (targets enemies only) + the steamroller objective that gives magical weapons to your Vanquisher did the job easily.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Arrrgh, I was hoping so much they'd skip with the 'theme forces give you free points' stuff this time around.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Take the choir anyway, Caine2's really good but they help heaps against the rest of cygnar.

I think you're getting played, Dynamo only gets 4 shots and it stops shooting as soon as it misses.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Tristan's got Manifest Destiny. That is going to be pretty sick in Menoth - imagine it coupled with Future SIght on gun jacks.

http://privateerpressforums.com/sho...l=1#post3626398

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I have been informed Manifest Destiny is melee-only. Nowhere near as bonkers! Oh well.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Magres posted:

What happens when you combine Future Sight and Manifest Destiny? Can you roll your 3d6 then decide to boost before dropping lowest and instead drop the boosted die if it's the new lowest die?

For reference

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?255510-Starcrossed-and-Future-Sight

So normally it's

quote:

a. Resolve effects that change the number of
dice rolled, such as boosting the roll.
b. Roll the dice.
c. Resolve effects that remove dice from the roll.

with future sight it's:

quote:

a. Resolve effects that change the number of
dice rolled
b. Roll the dice.
*** Boost the roll if you want
c. Resolve effects that remove dice from the roll.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

gannyGrabber posted:

Did that Tristan spell actually get confirmed? Because my SECRET SOURCE says that it's just guessing.

http://privateerpressforums.com/sho...l=1#post3626398 is the source.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Menoth forums used to be a really happy and positive place, now there's that fucker who keeps on complaining about our MAT in any conceivable context.

(spoilers: menoth are in a really good place in mk3 and are rad and fun)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I'm just gonna use my kickstarter tristan for him for now. The only reason he won't get play is i'm still barely into trying out everyone ELSE in mk3.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

gannyGrabber posted:

Does... Does this mean people might pair him with Vindictus?!? Will we see 'ol Vindereeno get played???

I played him in our welcome to MK3 tournament paired with Amon - only played him into Ossyan+Hyperion+AFG+Discordia+the shadowbind jack + heavy rifle teams, and it was pretty sweet. His feat didn't do anything here but I was able to jam him out of his own zone with Daughters and Errants, and Shield Guarding the Hyperion's consume shot to where it hits nothing but the Templar is the best. I ran:

quote:

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points http://conflictchamber.com/#b21bg00v0t1t1e0U0OeF261S3e1U9T25
(Vindictus 1) Vice Scrutator Vindictus [+29]
- Templar [15]
- Reckoner [16]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
Daughters of the Flame [10]
Exemplar Cinerators (max) [16]
Exemplar Errants (max) [16]
- Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard [4]
The Covenant of Menoth [4]
Exemplar Errant Seneschal [4]
Nicia, Tear of Vengeance [5]
Knights Exemplar Seneschal [5]
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord [4]
Wrack [1]

Running up behind the forest:

At risk of death here, whoops:

Dominating to win (after being hit by the brain damage spray, how embarassing)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

we have spell draft coming up

I hope someone is brave enough to play wurmwood

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

We just switched to 0 15 30 45 60 75 because it's trivial to remember.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

susan posted:

And yeah, Vindictus is awesome, and will be awesomer when the KE UA drops in a month. Delivering her with his feat and a speed buff is insane.

He's always been one of my faves. I just need to get some mk3 games in with him that aren't against Ret jack gunlines goddamn it to make his feat do something.

The nerf to Zealots has hurt quite a bit - whether it's worth taking them to take advantage of his special abilities is very much on the fence now. I think I'll probably skip them.

The hardest problem with him is getting his upkeeps out - if you do true path turn 1 you only get one of defender's ward and penitence, and it'll depend entirely on what you're up against. Sometimes you might want to skip true path but I suspect that'll be rare - he's now our best caster for locking people out of zones so it's hard to pass it up.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

The thing that always gets me with him is that TP means activating first, and he likes that sea of dudes and dudettes - so you have to carefully plan where he's going to advance next turn, while also trying to block LOS to him. TP working on him is pretty nice though for getting to those flags.

He is the #1 caster I want to buy flamebringers for. Running 20" at 16/17 defense stats seems like the most annoying thing around with Dirge of Mist available too.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Magres posted:

Why are Zealots bad now? POW 8 blast damage spam seems still pretty good, or were they that dependent on the UA minifeat (which admittedly got hit really hard)

It's a combination of:

* the minifeat was amazing so it's a big loss - the new one is interesting but far harder to use
* they lost the ability to bomb even low-defense stuff with POW14s due to losing their RAT prayer - needing 8's to hit DEF12 is miserable
* increased prevalence of heavy spam in the game
* they went up in price
* a lot of other infantry options in Menoth got cheaper or better or both.
* a lot of our other options for carpet bombing low-ARM infantry improved, eg Redeemers/Sunbursts

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Stand him on a rock and he's fine. One layer of cork tile and my metal guardian looks perfectly in scale with a Vanquisher or Reckoner at ground level.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Got a game in with Amon vs Wurmwood (should have used warding more, I killed Cassius turn 2 but my Judicator got strangleholded too much) and then High Reclaimer vs Vlad1 gunline

Hand of Fate is so great. Idrians survived riflemen and Behemoth fire via dig in and luck, then shot up half the unPrey'd rifle corps before repositioning behind clouds.

The feat killed all but a couple Idrians, a heavy, 4 cinerators, and most of the Zealots - but the Monolith bearer survived, hiding behind a building from the gun carriage with a single shield guard.

On my turn, with twin juggernauts in my face, I killed both the Idrian UA and the monolith bearer, then feated - bringing the Monolith Bearer forward and 7 idrians in aiming range of Vlad. HR had 14 focus and nothing relevant to do with it after the Guardian died. The Monolith Bearer feated and brought back 7 zealots within walking range of chaff to clear LOS to Vlad, and then the Idrians gunned him down with aimed Hand of Fate CRAs.

Next game I'm preying the enemy caster turn 1 - I put it on Behemoth this time around but never had a good chance at it with Juggernauts forming a wall in front of it, so I had to assassinate without Prey. I also want to try Hand of Fate on the zealots, since it seems like it would solve all their issues - being able to kill the monolith yourself and feat him forward to use his minifeat is also bonkers good.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

rkajdi posted:

Maybe the lesson to learn is diversify instead of double/triple up on stuff? This is something I see happening more often going forward if balance fixes are part of the errata documents. For instance, you'll hear stuff about Hellmouths if they either get more expensive or have reduced abilities to more closely align them with the current 6pt cost. Going all in on certain stuff as your only option in a category seems to leave you very vulnerable to balance fixes or just new stuff coming out to counter them. My plan was always a variety of stuff before I doubled back to get everything up to FA. Even the Skorne realignment didn't hurt too badly to my collection, so I feel this is the way to go to avoid disappointment.

Yeah this is why I didn't go all in on 9 units of daughters for Thyra's tier. Would have been pretty pissed off now since unlike most of the other spam tiers they didn't get a FA increase.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

The new starter boxes all come with a pocket rulebook too. The two-player sets are a pretty sweet place to start if you have someone to split it with - otherwise the starter boxes are great. They also come with a step by step training book that runs through all the game mechanics via a series of scenarios and playable on the included battlemap. Each starter box is a directly playable force that's intended to be balanced against the other starter boxes.

The factions are generally all pretty viable - the difference between the best and worst factions is much much narrower than 40k for example. People are still feeling out and experimenting with the new edition though.

PP has only really just started moving to polystyrene plastic like GW's stuff - only a few kits are made out of that, the rest is metal or resin-plastic that requires superglue.

The game is points-based - a starter box is 0 pts, a standard tournament game is 75 pts. You get a certain number of bonus points based on your leader character that you can only spend on stompy robots or monsters - the starter boxes are built so they use up exactly those bonus points to produce a 0 pt total game.

For example, here's the Circle Orboros starter army:

Tanith the Feral Song [+31]
- Pureblood Warpwolf [17]
- Gorax Rager [7]
- Wild Argus [7]

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

King Doom posted:

I was thinking I'd probably run Khador since they seem like the tankiest guys and I'm a big fan of big slow tough as hell units.

How easy are the mercenary units to mix in? Can I just snag some dudes from the merc faction because they look cool/interesting or are there rules and regs about who I can/can't field and when and where and suchlike?

Each merc unit lists what factions it can work for. You can use something like http://conflictchamber.com/ to see the list of what'll work for your faction. Some mercs won't work with other mercs for religious or political reason too - Constance Blaze the holy paladin isn't a huge fan of necromancers like Alexia hanging out with her.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

What does Reznik1 like, I forgot I'm playing a game tonight argh.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

gannyGrabber posted:

Reznik1 is mostly about leveraging Brand of Heresy. He really wants a Reckoner, an Arc Node, and a Redeemer as his base set up. Soften your enemy up with strong shooting and then deliver an engine of destruction'd Reznik into the enemy warguy.

Cheers, gonna try this tonight. Most of the nonbattlegroup stuff are things I haven't tried in mk3 yet - anastasia / kickymonks were in the same assembly batch as Reznik.

quote:

(Reznik 1) High Executioner Servath Reznik [+28]
- Redeemer [11]
- Reckoner [16]
- Vanquisher [17]
- Redeemer [11]
- Revenger [10]
Temple Flameguard (max) [11]
Choir of Menoth (max) [6]
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist [3]
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist [3]
Vassal of Menoth [3]
Visgoth Juviah Rhoven & Honor Guard [9]
Anastasia di Bray [3]

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Trip report: Played Kallus with ravagore, nephelim with 2hs, nephelim with crossbow, swordsmen, striders, ogres with spears and ogres with pikes. Brand of Heresy missed twice and Reznik almost got murdered, but kickymonks are the most ridiculously annoying models I've ever seen. One made it to Kallus, who promptly missed him with a Dark Guidance and boost, so I walked around the back. Bad idea, since the Forsaken kills monks real good. The other one held up the entire right flank and survived the game, being missed by about 8 attacks and toughing once. For 3 pts each they're totally mental - his only good option would have been to surround the monks with 3 models each to allow multiple Dark Guidance swings.

I like that list a lot, everything was really useful. Kickymonks should definitely cost more.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Also those loving kick monks are amazing. I had to use 3 fury on a warbeast to kill one and boosted hellmouth on the other.

Yeah they're ridiculous unless you're lucky and kill them with blast - even boosted melee attacks have a good chance of missing and then you lose the rest of your attacks. And then they're tough and steady.

I picked them up after playing against one and being lucky and killing it with a Guardian charging at Mat9 and still only just hitting.

3 pts is stuuupid. I want to play them with Harbie now.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Geisladisk posted:

I put Hand in front of his army and put two wall of flame templates between it and his army on my first turn. His second turn he was totally blocked by the effective pow 14 Wall of Flame, and could only shoot, which was fairly ineffectual (but killed a few Idrians and Flameguard). He then feated.
We both agreed that the game felt really one sided - Wall of Flame is a fantastic denial spell against infantry, and Feora's feat not only does awesome work against single wound infantry, but also denies Kallus his incubi.

Wall of Fire's an upkeep, so as far as I know you can only put out one at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

You definitely can't sac an action then run. See pg 29 in Prime - you can't forfeit the same action for multiple effects, and the Run option for your movement requires you to forfeit your combat action.