Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

S.J. posted:

I want Cygnar magnus so god drat hard

I want a Cygnar Warcaster Unit that consists of Stryker 4 and Magnus 3

If you get creative with sculpting, you could make the horse on Stryker 3 into Magnus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

I want to hear about how Trolls are actually the only non evil people in the universe.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Is there a good 'lite' rules reference out there? There are the Prime/Primal PDFs, but a boring and text only ebook would be ideal.

Trying to convince locals to get back into the game, it'd be easier if I can "just happen" to already have the rules on my e-reader.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

rkajdi posted:

The free PDFs are the light version. All the background stuff has been stripped out, so I'm not sure what else you could dump that's not actual content.

Mostly gratuitous pictures or a different file format. Just text can be reformatted by the device to fit the screen and zoom.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Didn't see it mentioned, but isn't the card database an up to date source on model rules? Including CID? http://cards.privateerpress.com/

As for the success of MK3 in my local scene, my casual group disbanded when people moved away right before mk3 launched. They just moved back and the prospect of more warjack / warbeast heavy armies is an easy sell; as is ready access to updated model info for proxies. I have high hopes for mk3, but worst case, we can just go back to play mk2.

Plus, we were a pretty casual group and always allowed pre-measuring (for the drunker players), so there's not a lot of arguing about that major change.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

koreban posted:

I may have gotten a little too excited about batch painting with the airbrush...

Disagree, you're living the dream of buying a tool then using it well.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Here's my hot business plan: "What if Kill Team but Warmahordes and not 40k"

I await my check, Privateer Press.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Crucible Guard is too cool for me.

I do want to have a complete set of them. I do want four Suppressors on a Prospero. I do want a 75 point army of almost all huge bases. I do not have the storage space or money for all of that.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

I want to try taking a hyperrealism esque approach to painting Trollbloods. More specifically, an approach grounded in being physically modeled. But I’m struggling to figure out how to nail their skin.

From a lore point of view, do we know how trollkin actually work? What color is their blood? Do they even have blood? What are those rocky growths?

Serenade fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 19, 2019

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Trolls were an early creation of Dhunia, and the ones with the greatest attunement to the natural world. They pick up aspect of their local environment, and often have stony or barklike parts of their skin, which are more pronounced on older or more primal Trolls. Northern Trolls are blue, and they're the most widespread in the west, but in more wild part they are sometimes black, green, or yellow, depending on environment.

Interesting, if that’s the case, what are they fundamentally made of? Are they secretly elementals?

Kegslayer Beer Elemental?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

I grabbed some. Looking over the factions, I think I'd be happy with any faction besides Mercs or Minions if they don't split them into sub factions. Like gatormen OR pigs would be cool, but kind of mutually exclusive.

or Rhulic. I dont want that

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Where do these lists come from? What's the Cephalyx one like? 👀

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Got some gobber drudges, think something got left behind

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

S.J. posted:

I would like to hear more of these stories

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Post Storymachine.
:yeah:

Content so my post is more than an emote reply:

Due to those Privateer Press blind boxes from a few months ago, I have both a Desert Hydra and bunch of pigs. I can't tell if its a hammer looking for a nail, but Xekaar's Mortality paired with a Blackhide Wrastler's Rage seems like the obvious way to fuel an absurd hydra. Meanwhile, a retinue of Psycho Surgery powered Battle Boars / Razor Boars / War Hogs would at the very least be amusing.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Wow buffing Kriel Company, and specifically Troll Blitzer, like that is an extremely well targeted buff to me personally.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Anyone else remember when Hordes was first introduced and trolls were advertised as the ranged faction?

The only troll warlocks I have are Gunnbjorn, Grim Angus, Jarl Skuld, and Grissel2. Checks out to me.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

May be controversial but, proxies can go a long way.

When my playgroup was in college, we used laminated circles of paper because we couldn't afford the models but also because we didn't know what we wanted to play yet. Even now we'll make use of proxies before buying new models.

Third party skeletons sticky-tacked on to 30mm bases? Please do not be mean to my "Assault Kommandos"

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Wow, I can't believe they ended warmachine and announced it by shutting down the app.

The Infernals won

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Due to my local scene, I've been forcing myself into 40k.

I'm annoyed at how much better Warcaster's style is than Kill Team's style.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Command checks were the worst. Especially those for massive losses. I'm lucky enough to have a casual enough group that just house ruled that away. We had a good laugh when they removed it for real in mk3.

koreban posted:

His entire schtick was annihilating and humiliating people so they learn to never do that again.

Man, that sucks. Learning from failure can be a good teaching tool, but not when it takes an hour to say "AOEs hurt"

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

The critiques about warmachine I've seen from 40k fans are bizarre. Oddest ones focus on the card aspect and how models share a core kit, like Destroyer / Decimator / Juggernaut / Marauder. The first one is a fundamental misunderstanding of the game, I dont know what the issue with the second one is.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

I don't really know where to place Warcaster. Feels like it and Riot Quest occupy similar scales? At least, if I had to chose, it would be Riot Quest or Warcaster, but not both.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

A Firebrand can take two shields and a shoulder gun. I take it back, this game is different than Riot Quest.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Oh, that's good. The gradient from brown to blue looks like it wasn't easy, but it works. As does the green flesh.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

I'm magnetizing a Demolisher / Devastator / Spriggian kit. The arms and shoulders obviously have to change, but am I required to also swap out the head and forehead plate?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

smug jeebus posted:

Depends, do you play against pedants often?

My knee jerk reaction of "depends on how you define 'pedant'" makes me think I'm the pedantic one.

But no, not often.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

smug jeebus posted:

In that case only if you want to. I recommend using the one with the little Skaven Khador symbol.

Agreed, until I get 2 more kits. Then I can remove one of the spikes from the Spriggian forehead and number them that way.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Monpoc seemed neat, but I wasn't really sold until the new factions. "The cold war but we won" and "angrey shapes" hook me. Dinosaurs and Furry factions are an easy sell to other people in my play group.

I'm also going to try and proxy up Riot Quest before the kickstarter ends. Two different starter boxes might be the deal that wins me over.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Harkano posted:

Anyone been looking at the Brawlmachine stuff the LOS guys are putting out?

https://www.loswarmachine.com/brawlmachine/2020/7/18/brawlmachine-update-1

Got a few of us interested in making lists again. 25pts, FA:1, plus a ban list for the things you immediately think are broken (Butcher3, Infernal Masters etc.)

This looks pretty neat, I've been trying to figure out very small scale games but didn't know what would be the problematic parts. Banning one of Cephalyx's two warcaster options (Thexus has Telekinesis) is a bit of a bummer, but might be for the best.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Does Privateer Press not sell parts anymore? I'd really like to not drill out or resculpt these demolisher shoulder pads I magnetized poorly.

There's a section on the store for parts, but it's empty. https://store.privateerpress.com/games/parts/

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

My "local scene" was mostly my friend group. We stopped playing around MK3 because we were busy with life stuff, but in 2019 we got ready to start regularly start playing in the new year. Which did not work out because of obvious reasons.

And my Riot Quest kickstarter stuff arrived in the mail. I'm already behind on my painting, but a collection of single models is much less intimidating than a cohesive army.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Does this mean that the current Warmachine loremaster is the guy responsible for the Grymkin?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

It's worth noting that a board game can't really "die" as long as you find someone to play. I've never really had the flgs warmachine presence but that didn't stop me from playing warmachine with friends.

It does suck that it's less popular and that does make it harder, but not impossible.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

The reliance of greyscale renders or line art does bug me a lot, especially for minicrate and Riot Quest models.

Neat limited edition model, would be even better if I could see a physical interpretation of it. Even a quick studio paint job.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

It was the stock photo of the Judicator that got me to investigate Warmachine. I don't really play Menoth but their visual style really hooked me. I ended up playing "Cygnar" with Stryker2 and as many trolls as I could run in MK2.

There isn't anything as iconic as the Space Marine, but I also don't know if that's a bad thing? Space Marines are defined by how generic they are both due to their visual design and how foundational they are in sci fi board / video games. They do nothing for me.

Of course, this is anecdotal. My playgroup tried and failed to get into 40k because none of the factions really gripped anyone the same way that multiple Warmachine factions did. Age of Sigmar isn't really taking off in this group because we can't all play skaven. (Note: we can, but people dont like that idea)

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

By the end of it, MK2 themes felt like a list building challenge, in casual at least. The benefits rarely really justified the cost but, "want to make a weird list with both warbeasts and warjacks?" heck yeah I do. Is it going to be a good list? Doesn't matter.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

It's a bummer that the kickstarter failed but tbh there is still a pandemic. Not trying to be a downer but I haven't even gotten to use my original Riot Quest stuff because of the dramatically fewer social gatherings. Game's probably fine but hard to sell a new game to a group when you meet up maybe 3 times a year.

I assume that I am not the only one less than eager to put money into a kickstarter for a board game in this climate.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Cygnar scientists are this close inventing the horseless carriage and catching up with the Farrow.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

I am cautiously optimistic.

The format split makes sense. Balancing casual and competitive in the same rules set is so much more work with a compromised result.

E: "We have engineered the models to take advantage of magnets... No drilling or carving or additional modeling is necessary to set up the warjacks with the magnets"

Thank God. I have a few kits stalled out because I got sick of drilling those tiny holes

Serenade fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

My experience with 3d resin printing is only that of a hobbyist and thus is fairly limited but,

One and a half hours for a heavy warjack sounds extremely low. Even more so if that includes machine wash and cure. An interesting quirk of resin printers is that given a fixed layer size and layer time, height is the determining factor of print time. For a single print, it doesn't matter how complex the shapes are, a one inch tall model will take just as long as another.

You can play around with the numbers and get a rough feel for the print time but it would be largely speculation. If my algebra is correct, [Layer Height = (Time per layer × Total height) / Total print time], where total print time does not include the wash and cure time, Total height is the height of the printed model supports and all in the correct orientation, and time per layer is the entire duration it takes to print and move from one layer to the next. This also does not account for extra exposure on the first layer.

But as stated before, the claims of shipping uncured resin are far more concerning than unusual print speed. Without going into the details, uncured resin is often not water washable. It's sticky and spreads from surface to surface. Contact with skin can lead to resin sensitivity building up. If uncured resin is left in skin and then exposed to UV light it will cure, an exothermic reaction that is painful. I honestly don't know what happens when you eat it, but probably bad.

And critically if you don't know how liquid resin works, you don't know this. You don't know that soap and water wasn't enough to fully remove it from your hands. And now it's in your pockets where it will not come out in the wash. These were at a convention yeah? Do people eat food with their hands at those?

This is borderline fear mongering but I cannot imagine a bigger misstep than delivering uncured models.