Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

RE: The Blood of Kings chat Why does Magnus team up with Stryker to stop Vinter? I thought Magnus was on Vinter's side. I actually haven't read much fluff outside of the Mk II rulebook and the Cygnar Faction Book, so I'm pretty behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

These new rules suck, I'm gonna go play Age of Sigmar

Just kidding, I am enjoying the new edition though the no knockdown, no engagement thing is kinda dumb

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Would anyone be interested in a general sum up of everything that happened in the later part of MK2? I am very much a lore nerd for any game I play, and I rather enjoy the story in this one.

Yeah, that'd be cool. I actually do like the know the fluff in my tiny wardollies games.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That's some good poo poo. Thanks for the write up!

I think I'll actually buy as many of the MK3 books as I can this time around to stay caught up.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So Caine 3 will probably be a merc
Magnus 3 will probably be Cygnar
Goreshade 4 will be Ret

I wonder what other shenanigans are in store

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Kithkar posted:

Would be interesting if a Khadoran caster became a Menite, and maybe Feora ousts Kreoss after Severius dies and he fucks off back to Khador. and then they can raise Severius as a Cryx caster and everyone gets one.

it's a lot harder to find any swaps in hordes tho.

Easy, three non-Legion Warlocks become Legion casters, everyone else gets dick. :haw:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That's just what they want you to think

Menoth's Fury can't melt Necrotite beams

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I'm all over this like flies on poo poo

Except the Pig duders, they are really stupid. Everything else owns all the bones

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I think the idea is that Old Witch 2 is Grymkin and Old Witch 3 is Khador, BUT they both use the same model and cards for both the Grymkin and Khador version are going to be in the box

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh my god, Gargossal wrestling can't arrive soon enough :allears:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Grymkin look pretty interesting. It seems like there's a TON of synergy stuff going on which explains why almost everything looks super-duper squishy I guess

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I just played a game proxying Grymkin, 25pts, vs Cryx

My list was The Heretic, a Skin and Moans, a Rage Cager, max Dread Rot, and the Battle Engine.

Things I've learned: I haven't really played a Hordes faction so I left the Rage Cager maxed out on Fury which meant I couldn't transfer.

I've never used a battle engine so Barathrum one rounded it :saddowns:

Dread Rot are very good.

The Heretic is loving stupid and with fury one rounded Barathrum

A lot of the Arcana are pretty fuckin' OP, especially the "Heal all Grymkin models when another model is destroyed". It's too bad I used it when my Rage Cager died, which died AFTER my Skin and Moans. At least the Heretic benefited from it.

I'm very bad at Hordes.

Looking over it, though, there's some potential for HELLA OP poo poo in this faction and I'm sure it's gonna get toned down.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It's open information. Being able to tailor against your opponent can be pretty nasty, but I just took the Arcana that said "Heretic". Each lesser Arcana seems to be made with a particular Warlock in mind, but they can be used by any Warlock and they are certainly quite situational.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Wait, I was being constructive with my Grymkin post.

What I meant to say is that I lost so obviously Cryx is super duper OP and Grymkin suck and need to be buffed and furthermore,

(Seriously though they're real fukkin good, also lol @ me for being like 12 hours late with this bad joke shitpost)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I thought the Privateer Press one was funnier :colbert:

e: the GW one wasn't bad though

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My poor, poor Hunters :qq:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

HMS Beagle posted:

Infernals are a Warmachine faction, but don't play like one. Specifically call out they won't allocate focus like the other factions.

I think I missed the livestream but I actually spit out my drink when I read this :eyepop:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

any pics for the Clockatrice? That sounds like a riot

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Holy poo poo I love the Clockatrice so loving much :allears:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Monpoc looks pretty sweet.

I see what people are saying about that Riot Quest trailer. I can't say I'm excited for it but I can't say I'll pass on it, because I still don't know anything about it other than it's cartoony and probably small-scale skirmishy. Neither of these are inherently bad (or inherently good, I suppose).

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

I don't see having tight rules an straight forward play as pure competitive though.

This is something that drives me up the loving wall in online miniatures gaming discussion; a lot of 40K players seem to think that balanced rules mean the game is only focused on the serious business competitive side of things, when balanced rules are good for all players. They have this "Don't worry about winning, play what you want!" attitude, but if what I want to play is, say, 7th edition Iyanden Eldar, well, suddenly I'm a cheesy WAAC powergamer because of the lovely unbalanced rules.

Certainly no game is perfectly balanced, but one of the things I love about Warmachine is that PP seems to at least try.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

koreban posted:

I don’t think anyone was honestly complaining about game balance. I also liked that for the most part, I could play any caster in my army and make a list capable of competing.

The issue at hand was the attitudes of the players who were taking Page 5 way too literally, still, and crushing folks on early turns. It might teach you how to avoid that one particular trap, but a casual player will never get better if they never see turn 4 because somebody (dated reference) Haley2’s them on top of 2 and annihilates them.

They’ll sure get good at deployment, but that’s maybe all.

I used to try to talk newer player through their turns. I’d let them explain what they were thinking, then I’d offer my perspective and warn them of any “gotchas” that might come up, and then they could play out their turn. I lost as many games as I won, but ultimately I felt like I got to learn the other armies while I helped teach the players the basics. It was a lot of fun and felt rewarding as we built up the local scene right around the last year of Mk2. Mk3 got about a journeyman’s league in before people started dropping off precipitously.

It wasn’t fantastic for people highly motivated to play with clocks and the newest bestest netlists, but I hated playing those guys anyways. Unfortunately they’re all that’s left of the local scene around my place.

Yeah, that's a bummer, but I still think it's a false dichotomy. There's certainly a "casual" vs "competitive" attitude, but just because I'm playing casually doesn't mean I'm not going to play my best. That can happen in any game, though Page 5 definitely made things a lot worse with a lot of players.

Obviously if I'm playing a newer player, that's a totally different game (err, so to speak), and I'm certainly going to take my time and explain everything I'm doing and why I'm doing it, and offer suggestions if the other player wants them, and in a casual game I'm definitely more likely to play something unusual and/or something I've never tried before (though it doesn't matter what I play because I am Very Bad at this game and all other games.

EDIT: My issue is more with the GW "Just play whatever you want and have fun! Unless it's a broken unit, then don't play that or you are a Bad Person" attitude which is, ironically, made much more difficult than it should be by the piss-poor balance of the game.

EDIT EDIT: I also didn't mean anyone in this thread specifically, it's just something I see come up whenever people want to discuss balance in GW games on forums like DakkaDakka. Mostly it's a real pet peeve of mine and any time I see anything vaguely related to it I feel compelled to rant like a madman about it :bahgawd:

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 10, 2018

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I heard rumours that Privateer Press might go public in a bit and is looking to get bought out by Fantasy Flight. Mind you this is all based on Matt Wilson doing the mini crate for FF and allegedly a message from Pagani saying that while he is on paternity leave if they sell the company he isn’t going with?

I have no basis for any of this and was wondering if anyone had heard anything else?

I sincerely hope this isn't true. I actually really like FFG and their products, but I fear that they'd do their whole thing with the special dice and zillions of upgrade cards, and I definitely don't want that for WMH.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

For_Great_Justice posted:

My favorite are the ones that decry competative play then bring something hardcore to a "friendly game".

Yes Calgar, 4 bolter aggressors, a lieutenant an relic banner an 10 plasma talons to a new player totally friendly. But I guess thats 40k. :commissar:

Yeah 40K is pretty garbage and is one of the few games I've played extensively where "playing for fun" and "Hardcore jerkbaggery" is determined by attitude AND list instead of attitude alone.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mystery box came in today, Retribution. Battlebox, Gorgon, Invictors, Colossal, Token set. TBH I hadn't even considered Ret as a possibility, my entire thought process the whole time was hoping for either Skorne, Legion, or Cygnar, but being happy with anything that wasn't Cryx or Circle and being willing to settle for Khador, Menoth, or Trolls.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The Supreme Guardian really makes me want to play Skorne. I was actually hoping my second mystery box would turn out to be Skorne, but it was Cygnar, which is 100% a-ok since that's the faction I play and I don't own anything that came in the mystery box other than the Ironclad and Lancer in the Battlegroup box.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I just picked up both MonPoc starters. Didn't get to play today, but I probably will on Sunday. The models are super loving cool, IMO, and I like the gameplay videos I've seen, so I'm optimistic. I really can't wait for them to release more monsters, though, since I imagine playing the same two monsters against each other will get kind of old kind of fast.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Is there a MonPoc thread? I didn't see one but that doesn't mean it's not there.

I played a game with both starter sets. It definitely should be played with more than just that. I think it'll be a lot of fun with more than one monster and five units for sure. Need to get more stuff!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Am I the only one who might be OK with FFG buying PP?

I have Very Bad Opinions about everything, mind you.

I don't necessarily think it would be good but I don't think it would necessarily be bad.

Also I really, really want a new L5R miniatures game.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 4, 2018

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

S.J. posted:

Wouldn't bother me, honestly, as long as they operated somewhat independently.

:agreed:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah they're gonna really need to hit it out of the park with Riot Quest to overcome that super-lovely trailer.

On the other hand, Infernals and story progression and a campaign book and Molemen and Ape monsters :fap:

I played my first 2 monster 20 unit game of Monpoc tonight, which is a vast improvement over 1 monster and 5 units. The game is actually really fun and resource management is super important.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Stomping on units and body-slamming nerds into buildings owns

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I loving love MonPoc but it doesn't seem to be getting too much traction around here. :( When I have a more set schedule I think I'll try to demo it (after I paint everything up)

EDIT: I forgot to mention: Oh my god I loving love those Heavy Infernal Horrors holy poo poo

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So Infernals.

Looks interesting. The Masters are really cool. They said the Horrors would be more fragile than equivalent beasts/jacks, and they weren't kidding.

But HOLY poo poo I am so into playing the Heart of Darkness theme. I hope that it actually works out and they don't have to scrap it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

S.J. posted:

Infernals are loving LIT for real. The Heart of Darkness theme doesn't honestly interest me quite as much as pure Infernals because the Masters all look extremely hype to play. Especially big ol' Stompy boy, although I think he might be the weakest of the three. That being said, I'm genuinely wondering how this is going to play out practically - some of these combinations without their specific free solos and theme benefits aren't quite as scary. I think I'm mostly worried about the Crucible Guard casters, to be honest.

That's a very valid point. I just really like the idea thematically. My main faction is Cygnar, anyway, so it's not like it'd be going too far out of my way to play Heart of Darkness sometimes. But yeah holy balls the Infernal masters are really loving cool, and I am going crazy over the Howlers. Like I don't even know which Master to start with.I'm leaning toward Zaateroth, but in my heart of hearts Omodamos calls to me because I enjoy applying brick to face.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yooooo sign me the gently caress up for Warmahordes 5000, that sounds awesome.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Man Riot Quest looks really dumb in all the right ways. I'm actually a lot more interested in it than I thought I'd be. Definitely seems like a fun casual game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm a dumb idiot and pre-ordered Riot Quest. I hope can convince some other locals to give it a shot

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

S.J. posted:

I honestly can't wait for Warcaster. I hope it's a big divergence from WMH in how the game feels though.

Big same

I didn't realize I wanted a Warmachine 40K setting but turns out I really really do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Super-pumped for Cygnar X, from the 10th planet on the Cygnar system