Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Anecdotal but my local store has seen a huge upswing for both Infinity and Malifaux. Malifaux in particular seems to be attracting a lot of competitive people just due to its pretty tight balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Haven't paid attention to warmahordes in years but I heard they were introducing the Orgoth as a faction and now that I've checked out the preview stuff they seem extremely underwhelming. The aesthetic niche they're trying to cover is already filled with Cryx and Skorne too well so everything they shown just feel super derivative of models already in their range.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
GW uses 3d printing for their masters so this just seems like PP catching up with industry trends

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
What ever happened to the Legion of Everblight anyway? They were always my favorite faction conceptually.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

rydiafan posted:

There's no such thing as coherency anymore.

This seems like a huge red flag unless they want to reduce the game down to Infinity/Malifaux sizes for the number of models

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

rydiafan posted:

Why?

They've almost entirely eliminated out of activation movement, and with the way that units move you can't willingly leave "coherency" during a unit's activation, apart from something relatively small like reposition.

You're describing coherency, you had me worried for a second but this just seems like some semantic bs

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

rydiafan posted:

It's not semantics.

The Mk3 coherency rules effected attacking, receiving orders, being targetable by friendly spells, etc. All of that is gone now. The current movement rules still ensure models don't just spread out willy nilly, though.

More games than WMH have coherency and its not even the first thing I think of when I hear the term. When you say "no coherency" I immediately think of units being turned into a handful of solos that can move independently, not "coherency but firmer".

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
looking back on the thing that drew to this thread

the Orgoth aesthetic design makes a lot more sense in a world where Cryx and Skorne aren't in the game

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Maneck posted:

Cryx got rules yesterday.

Those are legacy rules for models that are now permanently out of print and can only be played in a specific format. At least for right now the only faction symbols that are on the timeline are Orgoth, Cygnar, Khador and a fourth I dont recognize but seems to be related to the elves.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

S.J. posted:

They said everyone will be getting armies that currently exists iirc

I think thats true but I also think thats gonna take a while, all they've said four WM factions this year and two hordes factions next year. It could take quite a long time until anyone sees a modern mk4 version of their army come out unless you're in the initial run. The legacy rules are meant to fill the gap in the meantime and then eventually be relgated to the "unlimited" format so PP doesnt have to try to balance the pile of old models they dont make anymore.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ironically I think now is a perfect time for a relaunch, the wargaming space has gotten a lot bigger in the past few years, to the point that GW is attending San Diego Comicon this year, and there is more space for a game like Warmachine to breathe without having to count on cannibalizing GW's customers. I think that as long as PP can get people's eyeballs on MKIV and not gently caress up the launch they can carve a space in the industry for themselves again.

Plus people ARE interested even if MKIII is basically dead right now. Goonhammer is a very popular site for wargaming news and discussion and they published an article about the MKIV relaunch the day it happened.

https://www.goonhammer.com/new-edition-of-warmachine-announcement-goonhammer-reacts/

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sab669 posted:

I know X-Wing is big but I feel like it's mostly just GW getting bigger with returning fans & new fans alike, rather than new games popping up and staying afloat. Admittedly I'm a bit out of touch with wargaming but I still pay attention to Facebook group chatter in my local community it seems like it's exclusively 1 of those 2 games. Maybe the occasional surge for a new game that then dies within 6 months.

Honestly I thought X-wing was almost completely dead. In my local store we have a a group for 40k, Aos, Blood Bowl, Kings of War, Infinity, Star Wars Legion and ASOIAF with a few people Ive talked to being interested in Malifaux eventually as well. Im living in the Scranton area which is hardly a major city and thats more playgroups than I encountered in some stores when I lived in St. Louis. Even online I see significantly more chatter about wargames in general across the internet.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Looks like faction four is elf vampires

https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/07/29/warmachine-mkiv-lore-overview-dusk-house-kallyss/

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I actually think the Orgoth would look alot better if you paint them in Black Legion/Warriors of Chaos style Black with Gold trim

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I want to pick up the Orgoth box, Ive softened on their look having seen them outside the NMM scheme, but Im considering whether I should pick up a second box for tutorial games. Ive never liked the look of Cygnar and Khador has always been one of my favorites. Ill have to think on it a bit more.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I must admit that "releasing models with toxic resin on them" was not on my list of ways they could gently caress up the mk4 release

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If you or a family member were exposed Warmachine MK4 kits you may qualify for benefits from a class action lawsuit

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If nothing else both the print issues and how fast they shut down orders has taken me from "I might want to try and start a MK4 group at my store" to " I might play MK4 if a group develops at my store".

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It'd be better if more people forgot Dakka was around tbh

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im just glad Infinity and Malifaux are still around and seem to be doing well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
NMM can look good but 9 times out of 10 just using regular metallic paints will look 100 times better

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 19, 2023