Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Pyronic posted:

Well since there's a new thread i'll ask again here: I'm having trouble deciding between Circle and Cygnar for my first foray into Warmahordes.

I like the looks of the Circle Wolds and Reeves, but getting their battlegroup wont help with that at all. Cygnar seem to be the closest to the ideal I wanted with shooty warjacks, but again the Battlegroup is questionable progress towards that goal.

Lemme hear some goon opinions on these two armies, i'm curious.

I play both (along with Protectorate) and right now, I'd steer people more towards Cygnar over Circle. There's nothing wrong with Circle per se, but the MKIII transition has been uneven for them and changed a lot of model rules to the point where it's unclear what PP wants their role to be. In MKII they had tons of movement-based shenanigans, much of which has been toned down or eliminated, and several of the heavy warbeasts, the Satyrs, which weren't widely taken in MKII were toned down for reasons that aren't really clear and make them harder to justify. The Wolds are ok, and are great models, but outside of one or two warlocks are a bit more limited in their application.

On the other hand, Cygnar has been bolstered by the transition to MKIII, with rules that have improved most of their infantry and many of the 'jacks. They have a really clear faction identity that's backed by the rules and have a lot of viable options for list building/toy buying depending on what direction you want to go. Circle is perfectly playable but Cygnar is in a much better place right now, on the day after official release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Canadians are a flighty, gooselike people

gently caress, is it too late to change the thread title?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Tonight I'm going to assemble the Stormblade Infantry command attachment and the standard looks like it's going to be prone to detaching from the pole. Is that the case or am I worrying over nothing? Also, the pole is going to bend all the loving time isn't it?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Awesome on the attaching, boo on the tipping over. I'm having that problem with Kromac's beast form actually because I set it off-center on his base. Filling the back half with greenstuff, it turns out, doesn't offset the weight at all. I'll have to get strategical with setting the standard bearer on the base.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

You really need some type of weight to offset to heavy models. Fishing weights are good, and if you get the really small ones you should be able to fill the underside of the base.

Yeah, it was an attempt using only what I had to hand which was nothing. At some point I'll figure out a better weighting system for it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

Blood of Kings spoilers

I said it in the last thread and I'll say it again now, Blood of Kings is actually really well written and worth the time to read. It's a legit, full-length novel and Seacat writes a good war story.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

KPC_Mammon posted:

I think that was in reference to the Hailey + Twins novel centering on dragons.

Yeah, Haley is a pretty loving dull protagonist. The Dragon Twins were more interesting, and the stuff with the dragons themselves was pretty badass actually. That's a really short novella at least, under 200 pages as I recall.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

My storm blade standard bearer has never fallen apart or bent on me.

However, it will fall the gently caress over all the time for being a top heavy as poo poo model.

Jesus gently caress you weren't joking. How does something like that even get released? I'm going to have to weigh the poo poo out of that fucker.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

How heavy are the metal 30mm bases that PP makes? I wonder if they'd be heavy enough to counteract the standard bearer's stupid balance issues. That and maybe a penny under whatever base I make for it, which will have to be more elevated than a normal Basius pad base because of how low the sword dips. This was not a well conceived model.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Drythe posted:

Can't you just glue metal under the base or something

There's not a lot of clearance under those bases though, unless you've got a good means of scraping all that stuff out. I ordered a trio of metal bases and then I'll probably buy a washer for the top (unless the undersides are open) and hope for the best. I guess if the flag does come apart I'll trim the post down, which I wish I'd thought of before.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

imperialparadox posted:

Just FYI on the small PP metal bases, they are solid all the way through, except for a slot cut into them. They aren't "hollow" on the underside like the plastic ones.

Good to know, thanks. Washer on the top it shall be then.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

Once you realize that Magnus is bassically Big Boss of Iron Kingdoms, things start to make sense about him.

I can lore dump on his rear end without spoilers from Blood of Kings if people are interested. I'm mostly up to date with Magnus because I'm an unashamed Iron Kingdoms lore whore.

Hell yes, after Blood of Kings I am super interested in Magnus and greatly anticipate his Cygnar epic version.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Kithkar posted:

Beginning of Flashpoint Spoilers: Magnus is made a general in the cygnaran army

Do we know when Flashpoint is being published? I'm really ready to go all-in on the MKIII storyline.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

How deep does this rabbit hole go?!?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

This is probably too open-ended a question, but how do you all approach the use of minimum units when list building? Given the increased focus on 'jacks/beasts in MKIII I feel like I need to think more seriously about it but it also feels like it's even more important for units to be at full strength so that they can really have a meaningful board presence. I don't own a ton of infantry yet, so it's largely academic right now but something I feel like I need to start really thinking about, especially focusing on Cygnar as I have been.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

S.J. posted:

Yah guns are gonna be really good with premeasuring in general so SG is more valuable by default.

I still feel vaguely like I'm cheating with premeasuring but it feels so good to be able to do.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

fnordcircle posted:

Butcher getting tough was like Christmas.

I was surprised when I noticed Siege getting it too. Possibly because he survived a near-bisection at the hands of the Butcher (where the gently caress is Siege 2 PP?)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Excelsiortothemax posted:

It's because he is a Trencher FYI. All Trenchers have tough.

Sadly, that's not on his card, at least not in War Room, which is too bad because he and Finn would make an amazing duo.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

From the sound of it, it's a book per faction theme basically. The example they gave was Forces of Cygnar: Storm Brigade and Forces of Cygnar: Trenchers.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Have the LOS rules changed for colossals in mk3? It looks like there's nothing now about forests not blocking LOS but the rulebook is so badly laid out (and the PDF reader on my tablet is super slow.)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

albany academy posted:

It's in the rules for forests. Huge base models ignore forests for LOS.

Ugh, of course it was there in the one line I'd previously overlooked. Luckily we were playing it right. Thanks.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Play-wise Cygnar is in an amazing place right now, having benefited greatly from the transition to mk3. Painting-wise they're fun, blue's a pretty forgiving color (though you'll want to change your water and clean your brushes really frequently because blue is unforgiving on bristles and will tint the water so much that it will change every other color you use) and the 'jacks are fun and really satisfying to paint. All the infantry seems either to have a lot of fiddly detail that I hate (gun mages) or lots of mold lines that are a pain in the rear end to clean off (storm knights) but that's scarcely unique to Cygnar. Swans own, play Swans.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

I wonder what they'll be doing thematically for Tristan as he graduates to full Warcaster. Right now he's an incredibly milquetoast Warcaster Man. His backstory is, "This is Warcaster Man. He is very promising and unusually good at Warcastering". That's perfectly fine for a Journeyman, but doesn't really work for a full caster.

He can see everything but really has no means of demonstrating that to anyone, so just, just trust him, ok? Apparently he's going to be a 'jack-caster in a way that the Protectorate doesn't have right now, but that's the only hint they dropped.

Has anyone here converted a plastic Lancer to Thorn, and if so, how did it work out?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Felime posted:

Don't use a pthalo blue. Ultramarine is a way less strong pigment and will be less strong when tainting other colors.

PTHALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :argh:

I have no idea what any of this means.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

rkajdi posted:

pthalo blue

Yeah, mostly it's the word "pthalo" that I'm confused about.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Christ, this is basically a dozen pages of True Sight, Gang, and Flank changes.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

waah posted:

Is anyone else having trouble really grasping what the errata means due to rules and abilities being so new? Like at the end of Mk2 I knew immediately if a change was big. Now I look at an errata and I have to go dig for my physical cards to see if a change was a big deal

Definitely a challenge, especially since so much of this errata is the repeated correction of a handful of rules.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

KPC_Mammon posted:

For C you just contact them directly via email and tell them what you have. They'll tell you exactly what you need.

This is what my friend did with his Menoth army when he hit the brick wall that is their website's interface. It worked out really well for him.

Yeah, I did the same thing and they were really helpful (albeit somehow convinced that their custom case thing was a useful thing).

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

gannyGrabber posted:

:siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren:

Warmachine tactics is still garbage

:sigh: yeah. I keep wanting to finish the single-player campaign because I do kind of like Jakes and I like the lore and poo poo but the missions are such a loving slog and I'm not even halfway through after all this time. So much wasted potential.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Any game where the comparatively simple act of figuring out what the poo poo is happening on your opponent's turn (to say nothing of your own turn not infrequently) is an impossible prospect is a real loving bummer. At least the Kickstarter is how I got to playing the actual game, so not a total loss.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I realized today that Magnus 2 works for Cygnar now. I don't have any particular follow-up to this, but Magnus 3 had better be full Swan.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I really just want to know if the GenCon boxes are going to be exclusive sculpts or not because if they are I will absolutely have my friends pick me up that Tristan model. Goddamn that's pretty. I'd also really like them to just announce the price. Mostly I'm an entitled man-baby who wants new toys noooooooow.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

They are going to be on the PP store, so your friends don't have to pick them up if you are willing to pay a few bucks shipping. Unless it is convenient for them.

Well sure, if I wanted to be sensible about things.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

xiw posted:

Tristan's got Manifest Destiny. That is going to be pretty sick in Menoth - imagine it coupled with Future SIght on gun jacks.

http://privateerpressforums.com/sho...l=1#post3626398

What does Manifest Destiny do, other than destroy the ecosystem of the western US?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That sounds splendid, yes.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

fnordcircle posted:

I can't remember what Jakes got in the WM:Tactics campaign as she leveled up but I wonder if that would be any indicator. I know she got Acrobatics.

Taken from the forums and spoiled just in case (?)

Spd 6, Mat 7, Rat 5, Def 16, Arm 14 Focus 6.

[Field Marshal] Sprint

Sprint

Acrobatics

Parry

Feat: Powerhouse- Friendly Faction models gain Immune to electricity, melee weapons gain rng 2 and electroleap.

Weapons:
x2 Blades: 1 has electro leap, the other disruption (P+s 13 I believe)

x2 Hand Cannons

Spells:
Energizer
Wall of Steel (Now called Bulwark, battle group models gain +2 def and no knockdown while base to base)
Lightning Storm
Positive Charge
Electrify

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Could be nice on Trencher Commandos maybe? And nowhere else.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

fnordcircle posted:

Plastic is always less of a pain in the rear end. Easier to glue, easier to pin, easier to transport. Always.

Unless it's one of the units that's as much mold lines as it is models. Looking at you storm knights of both ilk.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Is there a confirmation on what will be available?

According to the PP Newsletter, it's the five new 'casters ($24.99 each) and the 11 old con-exclusive sculpts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Jay Larsen's Twitter has all the new Warcaster cards. I only really know Cygnar and the Protectorate but I'm psyched for Jakes and Tristan.