Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

SERPUS posted:

A lot of the comments being posted in here aren't even making sense. Have you people actually been playing the game or just read inflammatory blogs and forums? The transition has been really smooth for my local meta of about 16 regulars. There were no big surprises anywhere. We've just kept on playing this whole time.

I'm very glad your group has migrated so well, but I wouldnt call legitimate concern over some poor rules choices inflammatory. This whole idea of regularly planned errata releases is against the grain of how table top games normally operate and being worried that the wrong rulings get made or the wrong vestigial traditions carry over is completely normal. I hope that makes some sense to you, despite you and your group's good fortune.

PP is being held under the microscope right now because this transition period is going to be a bellwether for all of mk 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

S.J. posted:

Exactly. And the game ended up being fine. But it was still bullshit.

I think that there is room to be annoyed by dumb stuff and still have a 'fine' game. They are definitely opening themselves up to more scrutiny by promising shorter ruling cycles if they dont deal with the bullshit though.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Kithkar posted:

They aren't actually promising shorter cycles though. We've had a summerish and winterish errata cycle for a few years now, with short interruptions when something needed fixing quick.

oh, my bad then. I thought that was part of the mk 3 boilerplate.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

SERPUS posted:

There really should be some spoilers here.

first paragraph says it

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Magres posted:

hey guys who's ready for our first casual vs competitive pissing contest in the new thread

gotta break it in, let's make this a good one :munch:

Hold on, gotta get my composition scoring sheet and netlist database pulled up here. Alright lets get neck beardy.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Korwen posted:

what infantry are you running? Based on your posts it seems like TFG, Choir, Idrians, is that about all of it? Are you running an arc node? I'm painting a Guardian now because I want to try him out in Mk3 because he seems like a very decent overall heavy, but it seems like an arc node is necessary to get HoF on targets.

Hand of Fate is a buff, you dont cast it on enemies.

Edit: if you mean ashes to ashes, yeah maybe an arc node would be good.

jubelio fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 9, 2016

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
With 2 infantry units, Rhupert might not be a bad swap for Gorman or the Book

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
Did Alten Ashley get errata'd recently? I am sitting here looking at his card in war room and it doesn't say he can knock damage off columns for a warjack, only a warbeast and I think someone was lamenting that he doesnt work for menoth, but it looks like he does.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Kithkar posted:

Every single person that believed that the Piper and Fell Yeller's March was changed, while Runewood's and I think someone elses wasn't, and didn't think it was just a typo in this release full of typos was being willfully ignorant, and is one of the many reasons I hate those forums.

You don't even know the name of the 2nd model you are citing. Are YOU being willfully ignorant?

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

evenworse username posted:

That's a good point. We have some enthusiastic Hordes players around here but admittedly all the games I've played so far have been Warmachine on Warmachine.

I heard that there was a big tournament in Edmonton on the weekend with 30 some-odd entrants, only 7 of which were Hordes and 14 of which were Khador.

e: I do want to get my Circle back on the table at some point and see if I'm less terrible at them in Mk 3 but I am not at all sure how they work now.

I guess only time will tell if the netlist hivemind has backed the right faction.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

CaptCommy posted:

7 POW 19's with a free charge averages ~45 dmg against an ARM 20 heavy, which is totally fine in my book.

I was going to say it's going to be an adjustment for hordes players to not completely outclass warmachine in the heavy offense department, but then this still outclasses in most cases.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
it's kind of difficult to think past the first two turns of the game if you get alpha'd off the board. are you seriously saying that range boosts are bad?

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
Every time I think about buying KR stuff, I realize that I want 3 things from a foam case ideally.

A. High Quality
B. Good Price
C. Painless shopping experience

Unfortunately KR really only delivers on one of those. I could deal with a high price if their site wasn't a shitstorm of bad design.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Alpha Phoenix posted:

How do I play pFeora?

So far every game I lose has been a MAT 11 Ghetorix to the face [eKromac and eKreuger] and the games I've won I feel like I won because of my army, not because my caster did anything. I feel like I want to play forward enough to threaten with Engine and put jacks into Effigy territory, but if I get far enough upfield to do that, I get killed.

Here's what I've revised my list to [been proxying via Vassal]

pFeora
-Corbeau
-Sanctifier
-Blood of Martyrs
-Hand of Judgement
Vilmon
Ashley
Rhupert
Reclaimer
Min Choir
Max Idrians +UA
max TFG

Maybe work in a vigilant? Being upfield with her sounds like a bad idea until after the alpha strike occurs and the dust settles a bit.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Literally The Worst posted:

i can't really do that because i work at my shop

rip

A fun alternative is to rattle off a laundry list of annoying things they do and ask if they want to add anything else to it for the next game or not. I mean, do it in a friendly way if possible but let them know what their reputation is.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Crazy Ferret posted:

I don't know if a laundry list is necessary but that said. I remember that when I was first getting into this hobby and playing at the local game store, I would bring in a lot of negativity and kind had a chip on my shoulder about things. One day, my opponent just looked at me and said "You are kind of a bitter person" and it completely stopped me in my tracks. I did not think of myself that way, just the opposite in fact, but it made me think about how I was presenting myself to this group of people. After collecting myself, I completely changed my attitude at the store and elsewhere and was much better for it.

It was a simple thing but I am very grateful to that person who said it. Sometimes you just need to remind people that we are here to have fun and play games, and if you say something as simple as "You are not fun to be around" it may do the trick. It did for me at least.

Thats pretty cool. I usually dont stand there and unfurl my list of misdeeds unless its one of a few of my friends that know they are contentiously bad mannered. It's kinda like the lead up to a wrestling match and they know they are the heel so they play it up pretty spectacularly.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
So they are making a sub-divided activation small scale skirmish version of the game that is a sub-divided activation small scale skirmish version of warhammer? This company is going places.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

In terms of math, giving them things discounts is pretty much the same thing as giving free solos/attachments.

I dont know what point you are making, but I agree with him that themes that squeeze extra models into a list are dumb.

A theme is supposed to be a representation of how well certain models work together either because of a story of past feats or because of a common factor tying them together. That should result in maybe some special rules or additional abilities but why are random extra dudes piling into an otherwise balanced fight?

It started as a really awful hoaky fix to poor pricing of under used stuff except now we do it to models that are not in any need of fixing and we do it because "well we used to do it and I had this one list that was cool." Basically no reason and now we bench a huge amount of models in the name of tradition.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

The point that I'm making is that a theme discounting the points of models in it is no different than giving free models for every 20 or 25 points. If we're identifying one problem of themes is free poo poo, then the solution shouldn't be discounting models in theme.

For analogy, it's basically saying that the solution to a "buy one, get one free" sale is saying "both of these are 50% off."

I guess you would be right except themes exclude a lot of models from getting that benefit.

edit: unless you are talking about just changing one theme benefit for another that does the same thing, which doesnt sound like anyone is suggesting

jubelio fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 24, 2017

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

lokipunk posted:

Kaya2 with a bunch of beasts is pretty scenerio weak in sr2017. I may have gotten overzealous in killing stuff and yo-yoing back. My opponent calmly scores 4 points. I done a mistake.

This really sounds like a solid moral victory for you though. "oh you lost? how come?" um just too busy murdering and flying across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
even a man with a 20 inch dick would be jealous of that paint job