Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
With the new knockdown/gang ruling it's starting to look like Brute Thralls are the best infantry option in Cryx. I just finished painting some today. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

GEMorris posted:

I've given them a good bit of time to prove they know what they are doing and care enough to produce a quality product. They've failed to convince me.

I'm not flipping the table, but I'm also not cool getting jerked around from week to week as they errata their sloppy work. I'll give them more time to sort their poo poo out before I sell my poo poo.

In the meantime, other distractions exist.

I feel the same way. Considering selling off half my factions just to make room for other hobbies, but I'll definitely keep around Ret and CoC to see how things shake up in the coming months.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Magres posted:

E: Question, can I buy faction decks in Warroom with Android money already on my account? I have $15 from doing surveys that's probably going to start expiring at some point, and I'm either going to burn it on lovely phone games I won't really play if I can't use it on Warroom. Otherwise, I'll start trundling my way through the factions' decks as I get that sweet, sweet questionnaire cash.

Yep. This is probably the biggest reason why the price increase hasn't really fazed me.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

albany academy posted:

Wasn't there some huge long discussion on how lazy/terrible/Mary Sue-loving Seacat was in the old thread?

I think that was in reference to the Hailey + Twins novel centering on dragons.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

Must have been all hordes players, because the internet tells me that hordes sucks and can't win vs warmachine now, and the internet is always right.

I don't think the battle boxes are the kinds of gunlines people have been complaining about.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

GoodBee posted:

I would probably order a KR Multicase if I could figure out their site. :(

Try emailing them. A friend of mine couldn't figure out what he should pick up for his Menoth forces so he just contacted them directly. After telling them what he had they told him exactly what to pick up. It ended up working out great for him.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

GoodBee posted:

Did he just send a list of what he wanted to foam up?

Yep. It ended up being completely different from what the website suggested and worked perfectly for his needs.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My city had some flooding last week and it looks like I'll need to sell one of my factions to pay for repairs. I was hoping to sit out some of the current doom and gloom amongst Cryx players, but water damage says otherwise.

I posted a thread on SA-Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782262

Large Cryx lot at a little less than 50% MSRP.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Those tusks really bother me and I don't even play Skorne.

It really is the faction for masochists.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

gannyGrabber posted:

Skip 2 weeks

I feel like this is good advice for nearly every faction, due to how dumb week 2's 10 bg only points ends up.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

jubelio posted:

Every time I think about buying KR stuff, I realize that I want 3 things from a foam case ideally.

A. High Quality
B. Good Price
C. Painless shopping experience

Unfortunately KR really only delivers on one of those. I could deal with a high price if their site wasn't a shitstorm of bad design.

For C you just contact them directly via email and tell them what you have. They'll tell you exactly what you need.

This is what my friend did with his Menoth army when he hit the brick wall that is their website's interface. It worked out really well for him.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Magres posted:

Can people help me put together a CoC list? I bought KM's list of stuff and want to put together a 50 point list to throw down with some friends this weekend, and haven't played CoC yet. Here's what I've got ready:

I'm thinking iMom or Synth because I want to run the Prime Axiom and they look like they'll handle it the best (+RNG from Iron Mother, boosted attack rolls from Syntherion) and I'll almost certainly have a Corollary, but past that I don't really have any idea what I'm doing with my robot folk.

I recommend learning CoC with Synth. The autorepairs make him a bit more forgiving and Magnetic Hold is goddamn amazing.

What you'll want is meta dependent, but always bring the ADO with Synth. You should also always bring a corollary. "Almost certainly" is an understatement.

Synth is the best PA warcaster because of his feat. Between Magnetic Hold and a Diffuser it'll have 13" threat and the ability to make ranged attacks out of melee. Charge a marked target, make your first initial, and then drag in their Warcaster.

Assimilator can make 3 fully boosted POW 13s with hotshot and ground pound if your opponent bricks up, I like shuffling hotshot between it and PA every turn.

Cipher with hotshot can kill all the light infantry and laying down rough terrain can really ruin your opponents day if they didn't bring enough pathfinder. Depending on your meta it might not be worth the points.

I like the Monitor with him. With the new induction mechanics it can make a fully boosted shot every turn without draining focus. The 13" gun keeps him out of most enemy warjack Boundless Charge threat ranges and crits happen pretty often when you are boosting your attack rolls. Synergy makes it less pillowfisted, with sustained attack it ends up being pretty good at mauling high-def warbeasts. With Synth's feat you can threaten the enemy caster with a potential 4d6+13 nearly anywhere on the board. Lets you trigger a shield guard/transfer/chunk off some health before initiating the PA drag.

Bring a shield guard to protect Synth and the corollary from gunlines.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm selling two of my factions, Cryx and Khador, at 60% MSRP. I'm piecing them out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784573

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Right now I'm eyeballing some Convergence just because I want to give them racing stripes :negative:

Convergence is a lot of fun, I recommend giving in and buying some.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 27, 2016

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

I think this is the cause of why Skorne has been more salty than the other factions. Their bad poo poo became good and their good poo poo became slightly less good, so most people had most their collections nerfed with few buffs.

I kinda felt this way about Cryx. It ended up a lot easier selling it than buying an entire new army.

Edition changes shaking everything up has cemented CoC as the best faction for me. It is pretty trivial to own everything, so you won't be screwed by any shifts in Meta or Design Space.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Pyrolocutus posted:

All I'm saying is, he plays the faction with Old Witch in it.

On an actual WMH note: how does Kraken play with the Goreshades/pSturgis/Gaspy3 and maybe Scav/Vene in Mk3? There's a discounted one at a store that I'm thinking of getting (discounted in anticipation of the Kraken/Sepulcher multikit, I'm betting).

1) It is one of the best warjack options in cryx. It is fantastic with Gaspy3 due to the additional movespeed and ARM.

2) The multikit is already out.

3) I like the Kraken better than the Sepulcher. Sepulcher is better at range, but Kraken can reach stupidly high levels of POW in melee on its own, before cryx debuffs. It doesn't even prevent soul/corpse collection anymore.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

albany academy posted:

Supulcher also sucks because mechanithralls now suck real bad and it's necrofactory ability got nerfed as well iirc

Kraken, meanwhile, is baller.

Yep. I'd have no qualms about picking up a heavily discounted Kraken instead of the multi-kit.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

theironjef posted:

So, what do I do with Kaelyssa in MK3?

Be goddamned amazing, that's what.

e: It's Ret, the answer also involves Dawnguard Sentinels.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 28, 2016

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Quest Jefferson posted:

The Manticores are there for covering fire or laying on Phantom Hunter to snipe out solos. Blur goes on the Sentinels which lets them get up the field safely, most of the infantry is blast immune or can be made blast immune from the Artificer, who I usually have hanging around Kaelyssa and the arcanists. The battle mages usually do a good job of reeling things into my heavies and sentinels or by pushing jacks and beasts out of charge range. I like to play aggressive with Kaelyssa with Refuge up and strip upkeeps.

People poo poo on Manticores all the time, but covering fire works really, really well on her feat. Most of the time your opponent's only option is running to engage and they do a good job of shutting that down.

Refuge on Kaelyssa is the best. Not only does she strip upkeeps, but providing stationary vs jacks or disrupting fury generation (while gaining focus) is great considering how safe she is able to be while doing it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

imperialparadox posted:

The model for Malakov looks like somebody cosplaying Irusk.

He looks really easy to knock over.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

rydiafan posted:

It's weird, because week 1 half the store was playing journeyman, and week 2 almost nobody was. I'm curious what this week will be like, because many people will be gone to GenCon.

It isn't weird at all. The week 2 Journeyman rules were a mess. Forcing many of the factions to buy another light jack/warbeast was a terrible idea.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

albany academy posted:

Feels like their new release schedule idea is a way to keep people from talking themselves out of purchasing decisions by being unable to compare new models. I.e I never bought a conquest until just before mk3 because someone was unloading it for super cheap, because I saw how it was compared to the Stormwall and thought it wasn't worth it.

By only seeing a factions new release in a vacuum, you're unable to gauge how good it actually is. A MoW battle engine may be amazing, but what if the next Menoth theme book completely nukes it on the table every time? Thats an expensive paper weight.

If they can't barely balance comparable models for each faction that were designed, tested and "released" concurrently, how well can they be expected to balance theme forces that are presumably designed on a staggered schedule? I really don't think they'll have every model in every theme book for a full cycle done and tested thoroughly for that to be feasible. I imagine releasing 2-3 models per faction concurrently would have been a far easier process for quality control, and any imbalances would have been on a smaller, model-to-model basis.

But I don't know poo poo about game design so take this with a massive honking grain of salt

I feel like they already have this problem with live updates alongside their existing suspect game balance. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a behemoth right now if I was a Khador player. Same for the hellmouth as Legion. If something seems too good to be true, give it six months, it very well might be.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

So we are bitching about live game balance changing now too? We have been begging for it for 10 years and now we aren't buying models out of fear of it. What a wonderful time to be alive.

Live game balance is good for the game if done well. It isn't necessarily good for one's wallet.

I dropped Cryx and Khador as factions because I needed to spend several hundred dollars on each to make a decent army in mk3 AND would probably need to keep spending several hundred dollars after every live update. It would be one thing if this was to adjust to a changing meta. I'd also be alright with things being nerfed to bring them in line with other models, but the transition to mk3 showed that PP is alright with completely changing how things function and a willingness to dumpster models.

The obvious solution is to drop down to one faction and not buy nearly as much. That is what I've done.

The issue isn 't so much live game balance as things as they stand not feeling very balanced within each faction. Hopefully in six months cool new sculpts comparable to the behemoth won't seem quite so overwhelmingly good. Hopefully there won't be models like satyxis gunslingers or carrion thralls that feel nearly required to play.

Until that time, though, I won't be expanding my collection.

Edit:

Unless they release more CoC.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 11, 2016

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

gannyGrabber posted:

As a guy who wins with a full unit of MoW bombardiers in my list I can assure you that unit balance is only a very small part of the game

Sure, I won the majority of my mk3 Cryx games before I decided to sell them. I'm not saying you can't win with bad stuff. This isn't just about winning, I sold off Khador too.

Raerlynn posted:

Out of curiosity, how is the CoC box? What would I need to pick up to expand on it?

Depends! Do you mean the Lucant all-in-one or Syntherion's battle box?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

probably the battle box since the All In One is out of print (i'm holding out hope for new ones this winter though!)

In that case: Syntherion is awesome, Mitigator is a nice way to MAT fix at zero focus cost (due to induction), magnetizing the Cipher + a second Cipher/Inverter/Monitor box gives a fair bit of variety, and the Galvanizer is a confusing overpriced mess.

I'd expand with a Corollary, magnetized Assimilator/Conservator/Modulator box, unit of Optifex Directives, and an ADO solo. Also consider using the partially assembled Galvanizer as a Diffuser proxy. Stacking a Diffuser with Syntherion's magnetic hold gives +4" threat range on charges. Add the feat with something like a Monitor or PA and you have some ridiculously long threat ranges.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Magres posted:

'nother PP Insider: http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-08-11-2016

Will Hungerford is a bad, bad man. I can almost field this list, I just don't have the Assimilators. I might try proxying them to make my friends hate me.

You should. Assimilator gunline is fun as hell.

I'm still not sure if I prefer it with Synth or Mother. Cycling hotshot and 3 focus per assimilator is hilarious.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Raerlynn posted:

The AiO. LGS has at least one left.

It depends on how much it costs.

The faction is pretty limited in size, so chances are you'll eventually want everything eventually.

The best models in the set is the heavy (magnetize it, it is pretty easy to do), OD, ADO, and diffuser.

The worst models are the enigma foundries, reductors, and servitors. They were great in mk2 because recursion let you place them for an aim bonus, but I hate what PP has done to recursion. Enigma foundries aren't worth the points and reductors have garbage RAT without the ability to aim. Accretion servitors can fill points, but generally aren't worth taking if you can find room for something else.

Lucant is one of our only anti-gunline options. I really don't like what they've done to him in mk3 but due to the faction's size you don't have any other options. Awesome model though, a big reason I got into the faction. He is fun with angels, which is our best light infantry, so if you end up playing him a lot you'll want to pick some up.

I like eradicators and they got cheaper in mk3 but the current ARM spam meta isn't very good for them.

Regardless, you'll need a corollary.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My friend who plays Menoth only owns three units outside of the choir: Zealots, Errants, and Bastions. He hasn't been very impressed with infantry this edition, but so far he has had the most success with Zealots.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

HJE-Cobra posted:

Anyone know if it would horribly unbalance things to port over the new and improved Warmachine backstrike rules to our IKRPG campaign?

Considering how awful IKRPG's balance already is, I don't see how it could possibly hurt.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I remember reading stories about people buying models released early at cons and hastily assembling (and sometimes even painting) them in their hotel rooms so they could use them in tournaments, so it has definitely been a thing.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kortsu posted:

I have a friend who is interested in the game, and in general is a big fan of all things dwarf, no matter the setting.

All I know about mercenaries is a small privateer army I roll out for fun once in a great while, I know nothing about the rhulic side of the faction apart from a little reading of some stat cards, which shows them being a slow, high armored faction (possibly similar to khador on the jack side of things?)

I was just looking from some advice for him on what stuff to start with

Rhulic light jacks are ridiculous and amazing.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

Convergence players, is Axis as fun a warcaster as I think he is? Countercharge on all my jacks sounds like so much fun.

It probably won't happen often due to premeasuring, but it will alter how your opponent plays.

CoCs new focus mechanic heavily favors ranged, especially Assimilators ground pounding everything, which Axis isn't good at running.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nice to know Skorne is already perfectly balanced.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

rkajdi posted:

Define dumpstered. Disco and Sentinels could become less good and still playable. I think Ossyan is in that category. What do you think that would be done to either of those two that would render them unplayable?

I'd define it as making them worse than alternatives within the same faction at the exact same role at a similar price. Weakened to the point that you'd only ever take them for aesthetic for fluff reasons.

If sentinels are just lovely halberdiers/swordsmen, why take them?

I know most people here are in love with PP regardless of what they do, but the 3rd edition transition has shown they are fine with making certain models garbage. My best friend and primary opponent owned Bastions, Zealots, and Exemplar Errants in 2nd edition, no other combat units, and they didn't fair very well. We don't play very much anymore.

I was hoping the upcoming errata might fix some pretty big problems. The assertion that Skorne was fine (just not fun) and that they shouldn't fix Spell Slave because it could make a currently garbage warcaster attachment must have has me a lot less hopeful.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Yeah, I'm on the same page. I like the overall rule system changes for MK 3: powerup, increased warjack points, more point granularity, removing command checks, etc. Those are all amazing. Some of the in-faction changes? Kind of bizarre. Other than Mercenaries and Minions, I don't the intra-faction balance is any better in Mk3 than it was in MK2. There's still a dumb mix of garbage of and not garbage.

I mostly play CoC, so this is extra frustrating because other than Perforators the inter-faction balance was really good in 2nd edition. Now I have trouble looking past the PA and Assimilators and half of my options aren't even worth considering.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

S.J. posted:

They didn't say that Skorne were fine competitively unless you're being intentionally obtuse, because the entire conversation is in the context of them acknowledging that they weren't okay and were in the process of an entire rewrite.

Did you not read the article where they said that the problem was, if anything, that Skorne was too balanced?

They made it pretty clear that they feel they messed up the faction's fun quotent, not their power level.

Also, I main CoC, so 50%+ of a faction being hot garbage isn't something I'm used to, sorry.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm glad they switched back Lucant's defensive spell to buffing ARM. Considering the factions pretty low DEF outside angels it was a dead spell and mind boggling change.

No changes to Wrong Eye?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

rkajdi posted:

For those of us outside the know, is Kriegsspiele forum famous or something? Or is he just a standard whinger with a gimmick who got banned?

He had a whole lot of high effort posts on the Khador forums that he'd make illegible with horrible font/script choices.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My girlfriend does a lot of sewing so she can easily eyeball short distances nearly instantly within an eighth of an inch.

My win rate against her would have gone up more in the transition to mk 3 if she didn't play Ret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

rkajdi posted:

If you say so. I've never seen 100% deployment of army builders, or 100% correctness of them for any game. So actually looking over the list is an important thing. I'm sure forcing people to use an app is awesome for competitive play (actually no, it's dumb as hell) but most of any game I'm going to play is casual against a decent number of players who aren't big on computers. I'm not saying these guys will cheat but math errors , or more commonly logic errors, in lists happen. I was as guilty as anyone of this when we played games with really complex composition rules. When you can see everything ahead of time, you point something out and it get corrected before the game starts. Secret lists make that impossible.

How the gently caress is forcing players to do a boring math problem for their opponents army before every match better than using a free army building app that runs on web browsers?

Just the suggestion that I should spend time checking my opponent's math before play is condescending and gross.

Automate the process and everyone wins.