Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's baffling that they actually wrote knocked down to include the Never Engage/Engaged language.

They could fix both problems by making your Knocked Down condition only active on your turn. So a KD model can't Engage, but could be Engaged.

Instead, they're knee-jerk removing Engaged from charges and leaving the other stuff to hang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Fyrbrand posted:

I remember when Warmachine was the game people switched to after they Jesus flipped the table and left 40k. Now it's all grown up and Guidball is the reactionary nerd dollies game of choice. :allears:

You can take the man-baby out of 40k (and into Warmachine), but you can never take the 40k out of the man-baby.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This thing with Engaged and Knocked Down is also shedding light on the cracks in the Infernals ruling system.

Having one guy rule one way, then the opposite way, on interactions with the same rule is beyond inconsistent.

The flaw is in how Knocked Down is written, and the "fix" removes Charge's interaction with Engaged - By describing Engaged while avoiding the keyword. It's an unfortunately poor choice, especially when people are still forming first impressions in a transition.

An actual fix would be to allow the acting player to choose whether his models Engage with a knocked-down model. Fixing a problem for some situations (but not others) is exactly how you end up with clumsy, confusing gotcha mechanics and D&D Next.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Aw dang, I just noticed Deryl no longer extends Morty's control area. I'm actually pretty ok with changes like that, even if it means keeping Stalkers on a shorter leash.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

GEMorris posted:

Three years of Playtesting!

Is there somewhere to leave feedback for the current playtest?

I just noticed the way Prowl is written grants stealth for positioning near hedges, but not walls.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I figured as much, but they missed an opportunity to fix it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

CoC being a limited list was something I counted in their favor when I decided to pick a bunch up. The idea of a "complete" faction isn't repellant to everyone.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My pet theory is that Theme Lists are going to be ad hoc balance tweaks. Like when we hit November and nobody is playing something, it'll get a theme list.

Which explains why they're not discussing them - it would acknowledge problems, and that's not something PP is great at.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I feel like Parasite and Dark Shroud mean Agathia's strength is standing next to something to give it -5 ARM. But at the same time, you'd hope casters were capable of greater things - and you still need to commit something stronger than her to the actual attack.

Those stack, right?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Am I reading this wrong or can you only ever get up to +2 from Gang now?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

Did you think gang stacked?

Haha, oops. Like I've said earlier, I only ever got a handful of Mk2 games in and that never came up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

For what its worth, PP said that the mk3 bb colored plastic is the same mix as their normal plastic with something to color added. Any issues are most likely from wear on the restic molds, which are not as durable as the forced injection polystyrene molds that they have started using on a few models.

For Cryx at least, the caster is definitely a different blend than the warjacks. With the jacks, you can scrape moldlines clean, but the softer material in the caster feathers when you try to clean it up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's what I thought at first, but it seems to consistent throughout the (small number) of starter boxes I've handled. The casters just seem to have more 'spring' to them than the jacks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

We had the full-steam launch event Saturday, and I actually won a game. It took concentrating fire on his caster (and Morty interfacing with a Kraken on her feat turn,) but that was my first actual Warmachine victory.

Anyway, here's a cross-post from the oath thread!

:siren: OATH COMPLETE!

kraken

leviathans

stalkers

scrap thralls

soul trapper

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks guys! I was really thrilled with how they turned out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So which Skarre does beer Skarre count as?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I bought a box because I think of them as "crowbots" and it makes me smile.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

lokipunk posted:

Say Nyss hunters are the worst to assemble and transport but I just got 3 units of cephalix overlords in and those stupid little back harnesses will end me.

You can cross the harnesses into an X. This gives them an extra point of contact to glue / pin, but also makes them look a little more aggressive.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They're not even limited release figures, the box and pin are the only exclusives here. It's the same figure you'll be able to buy in a blister later.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

No it's a good policy, otherwise you'd get a wildly uneven playing field.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

People are saying Neverborn but this whole faction looks more like Dreamblade 2.0 to me.

But Khador getting Old Witch 2 more than makes up for it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does Company of Iron use different unit cards than WMH? War Room wants to charge me again and that seems stupid if they're the same thing I already own.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was legit excited to try it, but not $75 (plus $20 DLC) excited. So I printed the free PDFs which seem kind of worthless since I still don't have the game cards, counters, or the unit cards.

And somehow now I'm more excited for LotR battle companies, which isn't free at all.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The playing cards or the unit cards?

E: neither appear to be downloadable

moths fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 27, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sorry, I was misreading.

$15 isn't bad for rules and cards, I'd probably have picked that up if I saw it at my LGS. But getting chiseled on the faction cards is still a weak, poor choice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The rulebook and game cards are an online exclusive, the unit cards and stats are exclusive to War Room, and the free rules are useless without both sets of cards.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

muggins posted:

I'm not really seeing the issue. They even fixed their shipping costs so the total for the rules and cards was like $18 and it shipped fast.

The issue is accessibility. If I could walk into my LGS and drop $15 and play it, I would. So would most of my local WMH scene. But we can't.

It's an online exclusive. I don't particularly want to order from PP, and I especially don't want to pay shipping on top of purchasing the rulebook (that I printed out.) And then re-buying a bunch of nearly identical unit cards in WR.

You have to jump through multiple hoops, and there's currently zero interest in doing that in my area. And if nobody else is, why should I? The game basically launched to a stillborn community here.

Granted, the hurdles are comparatively low, but they're still hurdles. Necromunda didn't present itself as a free game and then make you order rules from GW direct and their app store.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there any promotional stuff out for the Infernals yet? So far I've found a render and an embarrassingly awful YouTube animation.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If that subscription comes with STL files I'm 100% in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Maneck posted:

So, no stl sales.

Huh. Well, add me to "disinterested" for the subscription then. What will it offer, then?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ashcans posted:

I vote for 'Slanned'.

A Slannderous suggestion.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

As someone who has bounced off every edition after a handful of games, I'm very much looking forward to Mk4!

Convergence doesn't get to play until Q4 of this year though, right?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

zerofiend posted:

Reports are trickling in, but the Gencon 'preview' models have the same visible layer lines and uncured resin that PP was claiming were from pre-production test models sent to playtesters. Not a great sign.

Are they printing these on demand or did they literally forget to sand down the master sculpt?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

zerofiend posted:

Counterpoint - lines are plainly visible, pieces not cured long enough, pieces having uncured resin still on them which is incredibly toxic. this is sub-etsy quality.

https://imgur.com/a/yZUIj6g

Do you have a link to the OP with the rest of the images? This is astounding.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

smug jeebus posted:

I don't have a folder but here's a jack painted.

People are also claiming to have been burned by uncured resin, but I haven't seen any pics of that so take it with as big a grain of salt as you like.

It's probably a dirty rinse leaving a layer of dilute resin that won't cure right. That'll get into detail and remain tacky forever.

And those lines are from incorrect (or non-existent) antialiasing settings.

These are both common rookie mistakes, but they could partner with Shapeways or Cults or MMF and any option would put better looking figures on tables.

It'd also be possible to just scan the old library and keep the classic figures as PoD forever. If they knew what they were doing.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 5, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It sounds like they paid someone to set up a printer farm and teach a crash course in printing, then handed production to a staffer.

Printing is viable for prototyping and making masters, but this looks like an illustration of why it's a poor fit for the kind of production they're doing here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

parabolic posted:

Or they're using consumer grade printers where you're going to get those layer lines on shallow angles and curved surfaces no matter what, especially if they're sacrificing for print speed on the z resolution.

You can mitigate a lot of that through anti aliasing and orientating your model better.

smug jeebus posted:

Is there a difference between layer lines and stepping? I don't know much about 3D printing.

Each layer prints like a slice of a topographic map. If your Z is taking big steps between layers, they're going to be more pronounced, and it'll look like a literal staircase.

That'll make your prints faster, but they'll end up looking like this. I've heard they're going for a heavy jack in 1.5 hours, and if that includes printing, washing, and cure time then they're absolutely cutting corners that should not be cut.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

parabolic posted:

Do commercial slicers do anti-aliasing better? Because it's barely noticeable with lychee and chitubox.

I noticed a massive improvement on chitubox between optimized anti-aliasing and none. But you need to dial-in the right settings for your printer and resin.

It's possible that something has changed between set-up and production. One extremely likely scenario is that a knowledgeable print guy said "don't touch these settings" and then someone in management found a better deal on a different type of resin.

Dennys Wang has great video on the subject, he's chill as hell, basically the Bob Ross of printing:
https://youtu.be/cGAgyRVK32g

moths fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 5, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This is probably the real reason they've stopped taking orders. "Aww shucks we can't keep up with demand!" sounds a lot better than "oops we have chemically poisoned you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

We understand there are concerns over safety of our new production resin. We had the same concerns for our own production and packing staff. To ensure the wellbeing of all parties involved, from conception of this production process we put several practices in place to help guarantee the safety of all those that handle our products, and chose materials based on safety and durability.

After prints are removed from the printer, they go to the first washing cycle. Here they receive a heavy rinse and scrub, and are then submerged in water as the whole batch is processed. From there, they are divided into smaller batches and are submerged in an ultrasonic cleaner for a minimum of 30 minutes. After the second cleaning cycle is finished, they are carefully spaced out in our curing station to bring them to the right consistent rigidity. Our cleaning standards far exceed recommendations from the manufacturer. With our unfamiliarity with processing such a large volume of prints, some parts of the process had newly developed issues. We realized we needed to change out the contents of our ultrasonic cleaners much more frequently to avoid a slight white chalky texture from appearing on surfaces/in cracks. With all parts different shapes and sizes and being processed in such large volumes, we had to increase our minimum cure times to ensure that some parts didn’t get less than a minimum standard. As we rise to the exciting challenge of fully mastering this constantly advancing and evolving production method there will inevitably be growing pains, and we still vow to make good on your purchases by replacing any parts that are less than satisfactory. Our production quality is important to us, but the one thing that will always remain our top priority is the safety for all involved.

That said, this resin is not much different from other resins in that you should always be careful when handling it. Whenever sanding a resin, one should always use a respirator use a wet-sanding technique. Additionally, one should always clean their work area and wash their hands after working with resin.

https://www.facebook.com/74721417049/posts/pfbid02764szAXB13u4xt1P96TNWV2ZXw7pFdi3PoVFesy3hJB2ixK34qehcx2c4uoW5xF6l/?sfnsn=mo

L oh loving oh no