Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Is that for real? I thought 14 grundback blasters was a lot, can you actually take that many bull snappers? (And targ)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

rydiafan posted:

Full lists are here, if you want them: http://ringdevc.w14.wh-2.com/atc/StaticEvents/WiTC%20Year%201teams.html

I think the limitation is a feature, not a bug. If you can fit everything there's no interesting decisions to make in list building.

It does feel like there's basically two Cephalyx lists because of it though, which is a bit fart, but I guess that's more a failure of the faction.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anyone played with new Venethrax yet? I still haven't had a chance to get a game in. What's he like? Any good tales? I really want to try him out!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm so gutted I don't really get to play anymore, I've still only had one mkIII game. I know I asked before, but has anyone played with (or even against?) New Venethrax yet? I'm dying to use him, but the next best thing is to live the dream vicariously through you guys. Or if anyone knows a good battle report?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

imperialparadox posted:

I haven't seen that level of meltdown yet, though I have come across people taking Journeyman way too seriously and getting pissy when they lose. I just don't see the point in getting worked up over a game, especially in JM league when so much is dictated as a "just because" thing for fun (list-building I mean).

It's because the less games you've played, the more there is riding on it. If you're doing a journeyman league and you lose twice to someone, you've probably literally never beaten that list before. You've got a 100% loss rate against it, and that constitutes 33% (maybe) of ALL games you've ever played.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Aiakos looks pretty awesome! I really like the idea of using him with malice / reapers on feat turn, especially with scything touch and carnage up! Seems like some good shenanigans become available. Even just getting an arc node to be 20" away from where it started and then casting squall through it seems funky.

Edit: how does drag and assault work, like if I charge something and don't reach it but then the assault shot drags it into range, do I still get the charge attack, or is it lost before then?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 4, 2016

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Saalkin posted:

Gonna try this on the weekend.

Cryx

75 / 75 Army

Captain Aiakos - WJ: +29
- The Withershadow Combine - Maelovus, Admonia & Tremulus: 9
- Kraken - PC: 36 (Battlegroup Points Used: 29)
- Reaper - PC: 13
- Reaper - PC: 13

Pistol Wraith - PC: 5
Warwitch Siren - PC: 4
Warwitch Siren - PC: 4
Necrotech - PC: 2
Soul Trapper - PC: 1

Bane Warriors - Leader & 9 Grunts: 17

---

GENERATED : 08/05/2016 08:19:30
BUILD ID : 2023.16-07-31

Oh wow, yeah please do a bat rep for this, I'm really excited to hear how it goes. I love the idea of pulling something like 16" out of position, if the stars align. Further with malice on a warjack, lollol.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Saalkin posted:

This list is getting slaughter vs a rhulic armour spam list.

Do you have any sort of battle report? Only those are my two factions

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
It's my quarterly 'where the gently caress is my siege crawler?' post.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

theironjef posted:

This overly aggressive and sexist language has been removed from MK3. The new tagline is PLAY LIKE YOU HAVE SINGLE PAYER HEALTHCARE.

I thought they changed it to be explicitly "play like you've got a pair of tits"

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, when are we getting the book with theme forces in it? Last guess I heard was December, is that still looking likely?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Captainicus posted:

Yeah that'd do it. I hope the dwarfs get the +4 deployment bonus from the contract back eventually, that was a nice bonus if you liked playing an all dwarf army.

Ive always loved taking the lovely scrunts, and have always loved how poo poo they are. When they spoiled the MK.III Jack martial rules, I thought, oh cool, that's actually quite a decent buff to them, although still bad. Then they lost Jack martial.

Like I can only assume that they have some big ideas for theme lists involving them, because, why the gently caress would you nerf them instead of just letting them have an insignificant buff? Still, sorta made me happy, stupid scrunts.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CaptCommy posted:

He's not a bad jack, but I find him notably worse than the others. If I want a knockdown gun, I'll take the Rockram and save a bunch of points while having a heavy that actually hits like a heavy in Melee while only threatening one less inch at range. The avalancher pow 15 Melee is super duper mopey. And yeah, he looks okay compared to other jacks, but Rhulic jacks are supposed to ve cheap as gently caress. Compared to the Rockram or Drillers, he's kinda mediocre

If you have him marshalled under Thor, he's loving godly. You can aim, for +2 rat and damage, with tune up for all of it boosted both ways, and then after shooting, move 5". It's just obscene.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Have to say, one thing I don't like about pp is how they'll build a hype train for something literally years away. I mean i know it's a dumb thing to complain about because the alternative would be just not knowing anything, but, I've been waiting for this dumb siege crawler for 3 years. It's finally out next month and I'm probably not going to get it now because the excitement has all long since worn off.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yeah basically this.

I for one am eagerly awaiting my satyr/wolf rider/bombardier/high shield buffs across my factions ;D

How would you buff high shields? I'd just give them back Jack martial, and +1 pow

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jimmy Hats posted:

Roll the ua's abilities into the base unit so you could slap valchev/murdoch/etc. on them and still get guns blazing/double time.

Yeah, see I play rhulic though, so without some kind of amazing ua update to go with that, that would just be a huge kick in the dick. Maybe the ua could give +1 pow and Jack Marshall though.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

by.a.teammate posted:

Ah well here's hoping, I'm not exactly running a optimal list anyway and I always liked the look of them, maybe I'll get lucky.

Like they legit are bad, but only if your opponent ignores them. If you can sit them somewhere threatening and squat shield wall all game, your opponent might waste time shooting /.charging at them, in which case they're actually kinda great. But, if your opponent just sorta ignores them, yeah, they do nothing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
They've said they're revealing the new faction at smogcon, so I doubt there will be much else revealed before then, in order to keep it an actually exciting 'reveal'.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Did you guys hear about the changes to disruption? Apparently it no longer requires a cortex to apply. Which sorta shits (again) on convergence if true. This edition hasn't really been especially kind to them.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Excelsiortothemax posted:

So in conclusion:

Battle Engines That Are Good

All of Them but Cryx :rip:

The new merc one is extremely meh

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Played a game with Cephalyx in MK3 at last, they seem pretty nerfed? They're still fun, but it seems like the nerf to drudges and agitators means that they can't really deal with the meta shift to 'jack heavy lists. Seems kinda aprapos of nothing for them to have been hit so hard? I mean I've only played the one game, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, I'm totally open to some factors I'm missing, but to me it really felt like they are actually kind of 'bad' now?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Iceclaw posted:

You mean the guys with Hyper Agressive on each of their pseudo 'jacks, one point of focus each time you hit them, and being able to be healed by their caster? I don't think they are overpowered, mind you, just that they definitely got game.

Well, the psuedo jacks used to charge for free, and used to have an extra attack. Hyper aggressive is good, but they didn't feel more focus efficient than before. They always used to be able to be healed by the caster, but actually they're quite squishy and tend to get one rounded more often than not. Don't get me wrong, its cool that they heal, but none of what you said is like "Aw yeah I guess you're right, they're actually awesome." Likewise the druges getting adrenal flooded, they always had that. Now its a bit worse, plus you have to sacrifice more drudges because your opponent has more 'Jacks.

What has always tended to happen, and seems more the case now than before, is that you do that 'kill my dudes to kill your dude' thing, while they are also killing your dudes, and you attrition down. Because of the nature of the monstrocities, they poo poo out damage but can't take it at all, so they tend to be glass cannons as well. So the fun was always setting up interesting lanes, TK'ing stuff and using Exulons feat to set up assassination runs, save your dudes, etc. Which is all still there, its just a little bit worse? And I don't really know why. I THINK what has happened is that they've given Cephalyx more sprays and a unit of spray men for free, and nerfed most of the other stuff, but actually those sprays are way way worse now that its no longer infantrymachine.

Again, I may be wrong, it just didn't feel to me like they had any buffs, but I kept saying, "Oh maybe this would work?" and it just didn't anymore.

/edit: Also, its STILL weirdly difficult to make a list, just because of how the points fall, but now you don't have access to cryx its even harder. Really could do with a light monstrocity, purely for fitting points, lol

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Captainicus posted:

Damnit PP. McBain and dwarf infantry didn't get anything? There better be a good rhulic theme force at some point, at least! :argh:l

Yeah, like, what? I guess no one at PP plays Rhulic. At the moment it really feels like the rules for my faction aren't out... Like a weird limbo land. Like, is this it?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
There was talk of a general malaise around mk3, and certainly it's something I've felt having played about 14 total games in it. For me, it was the slow roll reveal of the rules, combined with the fact that some of them didn't come out for a while after the announcement, compounded by the promises of errata to come.

It's never really felt like the edition had actually been released. Like, I play primarily Searforge. Fine, I get that I'm not supposed to expect as much support, and that's totally fine, but, am I going to get the +4 inch deployment bonus back? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe something similar. So it doesn't really feel like any of these current games are 'real'. Likewise, I play against skorne a lot. But any victories I had pre errata don't feel legit anymore, because it was such an overhaul. It kind of all feels a bit dicey and loose to me now, like I'm playing a custom variant but I want the official version. It's quite a subtle thing because the rules are basically all there, it's just this sort of prevailing notion that secretly they might not be.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 4, 2017

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I don't get that sense at all. If anything I'd be more bummed about the sense that things will be solid and slow moving and we already have the game as it will be

I guess it's because the tiers / contract bonuses were such a big deal for searforge / cephalyx in mk2, that them saying that they were going to release them, meant I've been waiting ever since.

I know the rest of my playgroup sort of had a 'waiting until it's released' period that never really ended too, it's been since that transitory period that we've all stopped playing as much.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

rkajdi posted:

This I get, because the idea of MKIII being sort of unsettled is something I agree with. I don't see it as a negative.

I'll also say the Searforge doesn't need a theme right now, considering how good their light jacks are.

I do agree with both of these points, I think the living rulebook is great for the health of the game, I just think it's a strong factor in why people have gone to other systems (didn't want to invest until we knew what the deal was) and then kind of stayed there (we only kind of know what the deal is).

I also think Rhulic are great now, it's just that there's no reason to take any caster but Ossrum. Durgen and Gorten both feel like they're a theme list short of fulfilling a niche.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

rkajdi posted:

Agreed. I think the other two aren't awful, but they aren't the best either. If you were looking for deep play, I'm not sure why you are limiting yourself to a subfaction, though. It's like discussing why Cephalyx is sort of samey, when there's another 3/4ths of a faction left to explore.

Yeah, I totally appreciate that a tiny subset of a less well supported faction isn't going to be massively diverse, I started Cryx and still have that army, I just much prefer the Cephalyx and Rhulic pairing as a fun mix of play styles.

It was always a bit odd and maybe unfinished before where to play dwarves you would kinda make a list, then see which benefits you could get with it by playing it under a certain banner. And maybe it's more finished now that they don't get any and instead are just buffed a lot (which they are, and I love). Like, I'm happy with all the changes, and don't really care if purchases are invalidated. I just wish that I knew where I stood.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Someone earlier in this thread said that rhulic theme forces were incoming soon? Where did that come from? Any idea on what that actually means?

I mentioned it before but (for some stupid reason) that's been a really big psychological hurdle for me to get back into wmh after mk3, so I'm really excited to hear that they're finally coming out!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Rhulic theme tier 4: one unit of hammerfall high shields gains ambush. :ohdear:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Where can I find these pictures of new cryx? I can't watch videos, or indeed fathom how chain attack works.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Oh... Oh my... Wow.

Thanks! Those both look incredible.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
gently caress. That rhulic theme is basically the worst type of thing they could have done. "You know how you currently only play Ossrum, one type of infantry and 'Jack spam? Yeah, ONLY EVER do that, if we ever release any new solos? Don't play them".

Could they not have even said that one of the free things you can get is a unit attachment? The only one we have is for the high shields, and that still wouldn't have been good enough to warrant taking them, but would at least have meant you weren't deterred from taking them. gently caress.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

S.J. posted:

Look at, not necessarily change. Big loving surprise a bunch of bad stuff in other factions didn't get buffed too.

The salt comes from the fact in mk2, no one took high shields because they were arguably the worst unit in the game. In mk3, they got nerfed. Then they issued errata that said they would look at top and bottom, but they still didn't do anything. So it seemed for all the world like there was a theme coming. But instead, no, more of the same.

It's not like the sky is falling, it's just like, "why". Why bother doing that? What were they thinking when they made it? "This will sell more of the models were already selling! This will continue the play experience they are used to!" Like, what's the aim? It's just really baffling.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Everything is loving poo poo and I'm not really sure how it's possible to make it through a day at the moment, but I'm looking forward to smogcon

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Serotonin posted:

Smogcon is going to own. Mind you I've only played like 3 games in the last 3 months so I'm decidedly rusty. Lucky I'm not signed up for any tournaments.

I was getting excited about it, and then I remembered they said they're previewing the new hordes faction at it! Its going to be amazing!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
That doesn't benefit me at all and I don't really care about Khador, but you are an awesome as gently caress dude

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I can't paint for poo poo. I've painted 4 armies and never improved at all. They all look like dog poo poo. Anyone got any links to any tutorials for techniques like dipping? (Although not dipping because that only seems to work for monster-looking stuff)

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

rkajdi posted:

Does this stuff look acceptable to you:

Because that stuff is all "dipped". Just like any other technique, you can do it quick & sloppy or you can do it well. Highlighting afterward is something that helps tremendously, and you don't need to be a super art ninja to do it. These figures look decent as hell on the actual table, or at least are at the point nobody should be embarrassed by them.

No, that doesn't look acceptable to me. It looks loving rad! I wish my stuff looked like that! I don't know how to do highlights that don't just look like a blob.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I often think that Rhulic's thing is being underestimated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

AttackBacon posted:

Lmao come on guys how does that one slip through.

Dude, what? Nearly every noun in warmahordes gets doubled up, have you not noticed? It's really really annoying. Never mind Cryx Cyriss Scyra Cephalyx Cygnar. PP are loving poo poo at naming things.