Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
july
This poll is closed.
j 45 20.27%
u 54 24.32%
l 48 21.62%
y 75 33.78%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CJacobs posted:

Oh yeah, from a story perspective it's cool, it just doesn't show off their fancy AI all that well.

As much as I love the game, I do agree that it's much less Max Payne and much more John McClane minus the dry wit in terms of Max's characterization- but even then, he spends most of his time squeezing in complaints about the rich-and-poor struggle for no real reason. That's just how Rockstar's writing staff does bitter dudes unfortunately, Michael is the same way in GTA 5. Niko is the same way in GTA 4.

haha what loving die hard were you watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

I would assume the new lovely ones. Have you seen a good day to die hard? That movie was hot garbage.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ow my ears, why must you ruin two things I like with this video

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I have been playing death road to canada and I finally beat it. The game is incredibly fun and addictive. Definitely wroth the 15 bucks if you enjoy games like FTL, binding of isaac, nuclear throne, etc..
It has its own magic that is very wonderful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The environments in the Witcher 3 all sway in a way that's actually uncomfortable for me to look at after awhile. Good for dat screenshotting though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Makin characters in phantom brave aw yea

Thanks in-game random name thing for picking codeine tho

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Did the MGSV version of Metal Gear Online turn out to be any good? I'm back to playing Phantom Pain to finish off the platinum trophy and I forgot MGO even existed

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I'm wrapping up my first playthrough of La-Mulana, and I have to say that I was really let down by the puzzles in the last ~third of the game, especially the final big multipart puzzle. I definitely see how they were trying to make the mantra and wedge hunt a real test of how closely you've been taking notes, but making it entirely linear was a really odd/unfun choice when the rest of the game had been so open-ended, and the fact that it's WAY faster to just brute force some of the maps' wedges instead of trying to un-shuffle the tiles like they intended for you to do really detracts from the fun of it. A lot of the tougher early to midgame puzzles gave you that "lightbulb moment" feeling when you finally got them, but by the end of the game it felt like cause and effect had broken down and too many puzzles were affecting things on the other side of the map with no hint as to there being any correlation - the entrance to the Tower of the Goddess just sort of randomly appearing with no warning out on the surface after you defeat Viy was a great example of the kind of dumb "what? why would that ever happen?" stuff that'd come later. The lack of direction the game would give you was great at the start because you could still do a lot of productive exploring and puzzle solving by just piecing together riddles as you found them, but later on there was way too much content gated behind phoned-in puzzles involving the use items, and the slow but steady progress you'd been making up until that point just turned into a lot of start-stop "do you have this item yet?" checks before you could get back to the fun riddles and environmental puzzles.

That being said, the game does warn you what you're getting into, every puzzle does technically have a hint somewhere, and everything leading up to the endgame (which took me and a few friends working together something like 50 hours total) was phenomenal. I can't wait for the sequel to come out, and I guess I'll make sure to write down even the ridiculously mundane stuff next time around. :v:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Did the MGSV version of Metal Gear Online turn out to be any good? I'm back to playing Phantom Pain to finish off the platinum trophy and I forgot MGO even existed
While I last played MGO a few weeks after its release for PP, I'm fairly confident it hasn't changed that much from being a pretty basic team shooter game. It was nothing special at all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a team shooter with MGSV's mechanics which is pretty fun but I never got very deep into it because I was still on a major Splatoon kick most of last year for online gaming.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mgo is really unbalanced towards stealth melee takedowns so you get ko'd out of nowhere constantly

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The guy who paid $1000 for a copy of No Man's Sky already got to the center of the universe and has basically confirmed everything the people who were saying that NMS was going to be this gen's Spore predicted. To the point where true believers are already pulling a Never Be Game Over and that it's all a huge elaborate false flag operation or that it's all going to magically be fixed with a patch at launch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guy Mann posted:

The guy who paid $1000 for a copy of No Man's Sky already got to the center of the universe and has basically confirmed everything the people who were saying that NMS was going to be this gen's Spore predicted. To the point where true believers are already pulling a Never Be Game Over and that it's all a huge elaborate false flag operation or that it's all going to magically be fixed with a patch at launch.

If they were predicting that the game would consist of wondering around procedurally generated environments and slowly moving forwards until hitting the end goal then they were right. And that's what Hello Games presented it as since it was announced.

Spore promised to be something it wasn't but NMS has always looked like a fun, simple space game with lots of wandering around. I'm cool with that and will enjoy it. :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Mgo is really unbalanced towards stealth melee takedowns so you get ko'd out of nowhere constantly
So is the entire series. I barely used guns until MGS3.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

A link to this apparently interesting exchange would be cool! I don't have a dog in this fight, so I don't care either way, but still.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

They changed this with a patch about 2 weeks after launch iirc

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

too legit to quit

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've started looking into what console games can be determined to be legit abandonware (which for me means that the rights holder went defunct and it either stayed with the creator or got bought by some IP farm/holding company). since there's sometimes no way of getting the actual facts of who owns a game (see Night Dive and NOLF) i'm working on some assumptions

- if Game 1 and Game 2 (sequel) are by the same developer but each is published by different publishers, i assume Developer has/had the rights
- if Game 1 and Game 2 are by the same developer and publisher, I assume it is a work for hire and Publisher has/had the rights
- if Game is published by different publishers in different regions, I assume Developer has/had the rights

so far.. i dont have a ton of hits but i have a couple

Illusion of Gaia - developed by Quintet, published by multiple publishers (Enix, Nintendo). Quintet apparently no longer exists but never officially shuttered/bankrupted. I assume this is why the game is unavailable on Virtual Console on Wii -and- Wii U

Terranigma - developed by Quintet, published by multiple publishers (Enix, Nintendo). neither publisher published it in america because Enix US had closed by 1996, and Nintendo was well into Nintendo 64 development/publishing. that has nothing to do with anything except gently caress you Nintendo that's all

Paladin's Quest/Lennus - according to HG101, the creator owns the rights and not the developer (who got restructured) or publisher.

Dizzy series - Oliver Twins seem to own the rights to the games? They've allowed fansites to host ROMs of the various Dizzy games and even put one up themselves of an unreleased NES Dizzy

Zero Tolerance - Creator owns the rights and has made the ROM available on their website as well as a prototype ROM

Knuckle Bash - developed/owned by Toaplan who went bankrupt. the rights probably belong to some shell company now

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 31, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Good Splatoon-ing today- was playing mostly with people who were like juuuust as good as I was so the games were frantic and satisfying

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

mutata posted:

A link to this apparently interesting exchange would be cool! I don't have a dog in this fight, so I don't care either way, but still.

Not really what he was talking about, but this doesn't seem all that enticing: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212019804&postcount=896

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Heavy Lobster posted:

I'm wrapping up my first playthrough of La-Mulana, and I have to say that I was really let down by the puzzles in the last ~third of the game, especially the final big multipart puzzle. I definitely see how they were trying to make the mantra and wedge hunt a real test of how closely you've been taking notes, but making it entirely linear was a really odd/unfun choice when the rest of the game had been so open-ended, and the fact that it's WAY faster to just brute force some of the maps' wedges instead of trying to un-shuffle the tiles like they intended for you to do really detracts from the fun of it. A lot of the tougher early to midgame puzzles gave you that "lightbulb moment" feeling when you finally got them, but by the end of the game it felt like cause and effect had broken down and too many puzzles were affecting things on the other side of the map with no hint as to there being any correlation - the entrance to the Tower of the Goddess just sort of randomly appearing with no warning out on the surface after you defeat Viy was a great example of the kind of dumb "what? why would that ever happen?" stuff that'd come later. The lack of direction the game would give you was great at the start because you could still do a lot of productive exploring and puzzle solving by just piecing together riddles as you found them, but later on there was way too much content gated behind phoned-in puzzles involving the use items, and the slow but steady progress you'd been making up until that point just turned into a lot of start-stop "do you have this item yet?" checks before you could get back to the fun riddles and environmental puzzles.

That being said, the game does warn you what you're getting into, every puzzle does technically have a hint somewhere, and everything leading up to the endgame (which took me and a few friends working together something like 50 hours total) was phenomenal. I can't wait for the sequel to come out, and I guess I'll make sure to write down even the ridiculously mundane stuff next time around. :v:

the doors open when you kill the thing that their symbol corresponds to

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

I would assume the new lovely ones. Have you seen a good day to die hard? That movie was hot garbage.

why would i do that

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

the doors open when you kill the thing that their symbol corresponds to

i believe there has been a misunderstanding as to what the problem is

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

i've started looking into what console games can be determined to be legit abandonware (which for me means that the rights holder went defunct and it either stayed with the creator or got bought by some IP farm/holding company). since there's sometimes no way of getting the actual facts of who owns a game (see Night Dive and NOLF) i'm working on some assumptions

- if Game 1 and Game 2 (sequel) are by the same developer but each is published by different publishers, i assume Developer has/had the rights
- if Game 1 and Game 2 are by the same developer and publisher, I assume it is a work for hire and Publisher has/had the rights
- if Game is published by different publishers in different regions, I assume Developer has/had the rights

so far.. i dont have a ton of hits but i have a couple

Illusion of Gaia - developed by Quintet, published by multiple publishers (Enix, Nintendo). Quintet apparently no longer exists but never officially shuttered/bankrupted. I assume this is why the game is unavailable on Virtual Console on Wii -and- Wii U

Terranigma - developed by Quintet, published by multiple publishers (Enix, Nintendo). neither publisher published it in america because Enix US had closed by 1996, and Nintendo was well into Nintendo 64 development/publishing. that has nothing to do with anything except gently caress you Nintendo that's all

Paladin's Quest/Lennus - according to HG101, the creator owns the rights and not the developer (who got restructured) or publisher.

Dizzy series - Oliver Twins seem to own the rights to the games? They've allowed fansites to host ROMs of the various Dizzy games and even put one up themselves of an unreleased NES Dizzy

Zero Tolerance - Creator owns the rights and has made the ROM available on their website as well as a prototype ROM

Knuckle Bash - developed/owned by Toaplan who went bankrupt. the rights probably belong to some shell company now

Robotrek

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He's only called Robotrek in America. In Japan, Dizzy the Egg is still Dizzy the Egg.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

That's why I said 'without the dry wit'

Grapplejack posted:

But also this. In the newer Die Hards McClane is just as "grumpy old guy who's not really all that old but he's bald and has wrinkles so he acts like it" as Max is. See also Man on Fire, the movie Max Payne 3 wishes it was real bad.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 31, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPJNUI4bOqQ

Rated E for Everyone

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 1, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's a cool game. i don't actually know if quintet owns all of their games tho, if they do then you can also throw in Soul Blazer

Human Entertainment went bankrupt and wiki only lists a couple of their IPs being sold and not all, so here's some more

Monster Party
Kabuki Quantum Fighter
SOS

clock tower went to capcom, and twilight syndrome & fire pro wrestling went to spike chunsoft. twilight syndrome made a cameo in danganronpa

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 1, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone play or have any thoughts on Death Road to Canada?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Quest For Glory II posted:

I am glad this was abandoned. It should be lost beneath the sea of time.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cardboard Box A posted:

Rated E for Everyone

nice misprint lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does that say sexual consent?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Real hurthling! posted:

does that say sexual consent?

haha no, there's no consent in that game silly

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

He loved the new Gal Gun btw

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Grapplejack posted:

He loved the new Gal Gun btw
in character or out of character?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

You can see their panties

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

CrashCat posted:

in character or out of character?

i believe he is a character.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone play or have any thoughts on Death Road to Canada?

It's pretty much zombie brawler FTL.
e: get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

rip July

• Locked thread