Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

WampaLord posted:

How about we make election days a national holiday?

The discussion's about England son. That'd mean half the people voting past about 11am would be completely shitfaced and end up doing something mentally retarded like voting the leave the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GargleBlaster posted:

The discussion's about England son. That'd mean half the people voting past about 11am would be completely shitfaced and end up doing something mentally retarded like voting the leave the EU.

Is Withnail & I a documentary?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

PT6A posted:

The real problem is that seniors have more influence in democratic systems because they're reliable voters, and young people are not. If you want to fix that, the solution is for young people to get off their loving lazy asses and exercise their right to vote, not to take it away from other people. There aren't so many seniors that they would comprise a majority in pretty much any western society, it's just that they're the ones who're actually voting.

Old people have social and political capital that young people have no way to access. That's what's missing from your little bootstrap calculus. They control the Overton window, they control the job market and they are unwilling to engage with any ideas beyond their increasingly narrow world view. That's what leads to voter depression among the young, and no amount of yelling about how "Voting MATTERS!" will change that.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What we need to do is bring back weighted voting. Divide the population into age brackets like in the graphic in the OP, and then calculate a factor for each bracket to figure out how their vote is weighted. The oldest group is defined as having a weight of 1. In this case, you end up with:

Vote weight
18-24: 4.3
25-49: 3.3
50-64: 1.9
65+: 1

Applying those values to the Remain/Leave numbers above, and the total population of each bracket, you'd end up with:

59 million votes for Remain
50.9 million votes for Leave.

Adjusting for turnout, Remain would still win, unless turnout among the 18-24 and 24-49 brackets dropped to around 40% while the other two were at 100%. We have thus succeeded in our objective of nullifying old farts.

I like this proposal, but I also realize it's easy as gently caress to manipulate.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SSNeoman posted:

Old people have social and political capital that young people have no way to access. That's what's missing from your little bootstrap calculus. They control the Overton window, they control the job market and they are unwilling to engage with any ideas beyond their increasingly narrow world view. That's what leads to voter depression among the young, and no amount of yelling about how "Voting MATTERS!" will change that.

How do the elderly control the Overton Window, if not by reliably voting?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

No. Taking away peoples right to vote because they have opinions you don't like is fascist thought.

You get mandatory voting and a voting holiday so the 18-24 bracket votes and any of these kinds of problems go away. Of course this will never pass in the United States of America because people might start voting for their interests rather than big business interests.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Nelson Mandingo posted:

No. Taking away peoples right to vote because they have opinions you don't like is fascist thought.

For the Greater Good.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

How do the elderly control the Overton Window, if not by reliably voting?

They own media conglomerates, businesses and politicians tend to be either their age or a generation after, so they do their best to coincide their interests with the elderly voters.
I bet the second their interests stop being represented they will stop voting reliably and become the new Bernie Bros

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Twittering easy.

Voting hard.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You get mandatory voting and a voting holiday so the 18-24 bracket votes and any of these kinds of problems go away. Of course this will never pass in the United States of America because people might start voting for their interests rather than big business interests.

We had this in America before but sadly the secret ballot was introduced and bosses were not able to manipulate results so they stomped their feet and prevented people from having a day off.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SSNeoman posted:

They own media conglomerates, businesses and politicians tend to be either their age or a generation after, so they do their best to coincide their interests with the elderly voters.
I bet the second their interests stop being represented they will stop voting reliably and become the new Bernie Bros

I don't know about The elderly owning all that. I think some elderly own that stuff. Like how some Jews have a lot of power in Hollywood, but Jews don't run Hollywood

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
A thought comes to mind, if old people can't vote, does that cover old people? What about, like, old gays? They're pretty cool.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SSNeoman posted:

Removing the ability of seniors to vote would not have anything to do with the fact that the most powerful people are old (because they've accumulated power throughout their life -- no one starts out running a large company at 20). It would just mean the 99.9999% of old people that aren't CEOs are now even more hosed than young people.

Of all the old people I've ever met, shockingly, not one of them has been the owner of a media conglomerate!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

I don't know about The elderly owning all that. I think some elderly own that stuff. Like how some Jews have a lot of power in Hollywood, but Jews don't run Hollywood

O-L-D-S

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

PT6A posted:

Is Withnail & I a documentary?

>looks it up
Yes, pretty much

go3 posted:

Twittering easy.

Voting hard.

#Remain #EUref16 #Brexit Woo I made a difference!

*retweets "please RT this tweet in aid of cancer research, it'll make you look caring to your friends"*

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Alternatively, to offset the structural differences which allow older citizens to vote more regularly,

By structural differences you actually mean young kids are "too loving lazy" correct? Because trying to get the new high score in Asteroids! or whatever the gently caress kids are playing these days isn't a structural disadvantage.

TomViolence posted:

If you're welfare or pension dependent you have more "skin in the game" than anyone else.

That's not what that phrase means. The exact opposite actually.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

By structural differences you actually mean young kids are "too loving lazy" correct? Because trying to get the new high score in Asteroids! or whatever the gently caress kids are playing these days isn't a structural disadvantage.
It's actually because old people are so under-stimulated that getting to vote is a real rush for them.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

That might not be such a great idea considering millennials are now one of the highest-risk groups for scams and fraud:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/studies-show-millennials-most-vulnerable-scams-173844748.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/03/09/millennials-canada-fraud-victims_n_9412918.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gobankingrates/5-ways-millennials-are-in_b_7673176.html

If they're susceptible to financial fraudsters, they're likely also susceptible to political fraudsters. That aside, disenfranchising voters is bad. Republicans have been doing it for years with voter ID laws and increasing incarceration rates, and it's one of the few reasons they're still relevant. If you're considering disenfranchising voters to advance your politics, you need to either reevaluate your politics or your messaging, because it is a sure sign your political movement is done.

Spoondick fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 1, 2016

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Should [group who doesn't happen to agree with me right now] lose the right to vote?

Probably not.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Revoke white suffrage instead imo

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

Revoke white suffrage instead imo

This is the right answer

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Technogeek posted:

Abolish elections, bring back the divine right of kings.

Then I'll have a proper dictatorship to overthrow.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
No, this is as stupid as the poo poo stains who say you should have to be 35 to vote or say you should have to own property.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Can't we just keep not coming to Thanksgiving? I feel like eventually they will get the message.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

But they do have a conflict of interest, and therefore should be excluded.

So does anyone who pays taxes...?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PT6A posted:

Oh you mean like being more likely to be poor and in ill health? Yeah, those olds sure have it made! :rolleyes:

Generally when a whole demographic (determined by something out of a person's control, like age, sex, race, etc) differs significantly in behavior from another whole demographic, the reason has nothing to do with "this demographic is just lazy or otherwise inferior." When looking at large groups, people generally do things for a reason, and there is probably some reason young people are less likely to vote other than them just being inherently lazier than older people.

edit: If you absolutely must talk about ways to limit voting, doing it based upon age is really dumb. The only way I could think of that has even a remote chance of accomplishing anything positive is to ask people questions that clearly indicate whether they're a racist rear end in a top hat (or hate the poor or some other "obviously bad" thing). Like, it's hard to feel bad for limiting the voting rights of someone who agrees with the statement "Black people are not as intelligent as white people." Even then, you're likely to run into a bunch of problems with wording the questions in a fair way that everyone can understand, so it's better to just not limit voting at all.

Spoondick posted:

That might not be such a great idea considering millennials are now one of the highest-risk groups for scams and fraud:

There's an element of truth here, though in the end very young voters (18-25) still obviously vote much better than the elderly. I would say that they probably don't have better political views than "still young but have fully developed brains" people (maybe age 25-40 or so), though. I don't know a single person who actually had very good reasons for and a deep understanding of their political beliefs during college, even if they may have ended up with views I currently agree with. College-aged people are generally very easily persuaded (or at least moreso than people a few years older).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 2, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ytlaya posted:

Generally when a whole demographic (determined by something out of a person's control, like age, sex, race, etc) differs significantly in behavior from another whole demographic, the reason has nothing to do with "this demographic is just lazy or otherwise inferior."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGWh2CWJnA

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Limiting the franchise, for whatever reason, undermines the entire point of democratic political engagement - you have to justify your choices to yourself and others - and undermines the political legitimacy of the system. Both factors heavily outweigh whatever advantage you can theoretically get from stopping the 'wrong' people voting.

So even absent questions of morality and human rights, it's actually pragmatically a bad decision.

Sometimes, the process is more important than the actual outcome.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
If we can set a minimum age we could certainly set a maximum. Probably a bad idea until we find a better solution than democracy though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
no

next thread

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

We're better off fighting disenfranchisement at all levels and giving youth voters reason to care about not just federal elections but state and local ones too. This idea is only going to lead back to literacy tests one way or another.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Have all decisions made by a computer powered by the anguished and terrified brains of a thousand orphaned teenagers. Even the inevitable "kill 90% of humanity" decisions.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

no

next thread

yes

next thread.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Captain Monkey posted:

yes

next thread.

motion tabled, to be revisited later

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

motion tabled, to be revisited later

No second within the timeframe. Motion stands, no olds can vote.

vv yes, this vv

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 5, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
just drop all pretenses and murder everyone to the right of a social democrat

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

my dad posted:

I think old people have an unfortunate statistical tendency towards being complete idiots in general, but no, OP, taking away people's right to vote because you don't agree with them is not a good thing.

I saw "people" and "complete idiots in general" and I agree, "taking away people's right to vote" is "a good thing"

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
this sounds awfully complicated when i could just send my parents away to the nursing home and replace their ballots with word searches while they weren't looking

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
gently caress the olds winter is coming and I hope to god the Tories slash the fuel allowance

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To be fair leave voters were also on average significantly poorer and less educated, so if you want to be fair you probably are going to have to strip the franchise from anyone who isn't at least middle class and/or has a 4 year degree as well.

https://next.ft.com/content/1ce1a720-ce94-3c32-a689-8d2356388a1f

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
just because they're working class doesn't make them not racist morons tbh

I don't support disenfranchising people but I'm not about to absolve them of their responsibility for their democratic decisisions, they chose to vote leave largely because of "concerns about immigration" and I will reserve my sympathy in the trying times ahead for people who didn't vote for them to happen

eg working class remain voters, eu immigrants potentially about to be forced from their homes, young people who are probably about to see their second recession in a decade etc

XMNN fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 5, 2016

• Locked thread