Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It's not actually a given that old people vote more conservatively. The generation that came of age during The Great Depression and voted for FDR was a very reliable Democratic voting bloc for years. I'm also pretty sure that Social Security and Medicare have survived as long as they have because of old people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Periodiko posted:

It's not actually a given that old people vote more conservatively. The generation that came of age during The Great Depression and voted for FDR was a very reliable Democratic voting bloc for years. I'm also pretty sure that Social Security and Medicare have survived as long as they have because of old people.
For how many years? The Democrats were a very different party back then, with their main base of support being white supremacists in the South. That only changed after the Civil Rights Act, which broke the anti-civil rights coalition among the democrats, and then Nixon openly courting them as part of his Southern Strategy, which flipped the South to the Republicans and created the modern Republican party.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Neo_Crimson posted:

just drop all pretenses and murder everyone to the right of a social democrat

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A better solution would be to have a mandatory age limit of 40 at which everyone gets executed.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

There's an element of truth here, though in the end very young voters (18-25) still obviously vote much better than the elderly.

That's a weird way of describing not voting.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Why stop there OP. Lets have public ballots where you can heckle and shame people who aren't voting the way you think is right. Honestly, some of this Brexit stuff is just amazing. gently caress democracy when I don't get my way. Maybe there should be a strong leader who could make all of these tough decisions for everyone, I hear that Maduro guy and Sisi keep the trains running on time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

XMNN posted:

just because they're working class doesn't make them not racist morons tbh

/

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin
I saw an old woman driving the wrong way around a roundabout today, I followed her while yelling, slurring, honking at her in hopes of traumatizing her failing dementia riddled mind into never driving again. Yes we should revoke the right of the olds to drive and probably vote.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sword and Sceptre posted:

I saw an old woman driving the wrong way around a roundabout today, I followed her while yelling, slurring, honking at her in hopes of traumatizing her failing dementia riddled mind into never driving again. Yes we should revoke the right of the olds to drive and probably vote.

She probably didn't even know why you were honking at her, sort of like how punishing your pet dog or cat is often difficult or pointless because they can't make the connection between the punishment and the behavior that caused the punishment.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think more states should look at Minnesota.

You can register same day, there are voting booths set up in schools/everywhere so you can vote after class, you can email in your vote, etc etc.

Guess what, Minnesota averages 75% ( The country average is 40% last I checked ) voter turnout. It can easily reach up to 85-90% voter turnout for Presidential elections. Minnesotans, including young adults vote.

Young people don't not vote because they don't care. They don't vote because they can't. They don't vote because they have to work that day, and when you work retail there aren't enough people to cover you leaving just so you can go vote. They don't vote because they can't lose the $50 they'd make going to work that day if they hope to eat that month. They don't vote because millennials are the least mobile generation, and having to bus to a voting booth is hard to justify. They don't vote because most of them work two jobs, and figuring out how to vote in that is near impossible. They don't vote because giving up 4-5 hours of their day waiting in line is a sacrifice they can't give.

The Elderly are stable voters because none of this effects them. If you are retired, you can go to vote whenever you feel like it. Waiting in line is fine, it's a civic duty and it's not like there's anything else you need to do. Elderly people drive, so getting to a voting booth is easy, etc etc.

The solution isn't to take the vote away from the Elderly. It's to make voting easier for younger generations, and to encourage higher voter turnout.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
Apparently there is no need to parody D&D, it will parody itself.

Ardennes posted:

To be fair leave voters were also on average significantly poorer and less educated, so if you want to be fair you probably are going to have to strip the franchise from anyone who isn't at least middle class and/or has a 4 year degree as well.

https://next.ft.com/content/1ce1a720-ce94-3c32-a689-8d2356388a1f
The obvious solution is to vote according to net worth. You get 1 vote for each $ in assets.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Freakus posted:

Apparently there is no need to parody D&D, it will parody itself.

The obvious solution is to vote according to net worth. You get 1 vote for each $ in assets.

We already have that, we call it congress.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yes we should revoke the right of the olds to drive and probably vote.
Computer-aided AI driving is only 2 years away. I say we jump the trend and develop Computer-Aided Voting:

Each Old answers a series of diagnostic questions and they are paired with policy that meets their criteria. This is then statistically compared to answers by politicians and matched up computactically.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Your voting power decreases by 2% for every year you live after 50, so if you reach 100 or over your vote is merely symbolic. I would gladly accept this restriction upon myself when the time comes.

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin
I know everyone is memeing in this thread and its just a poorly veiled bait thread but that doesn't change the fact that old people are one of the largest and most monolithic voting blocs in the US. It really hampers any possibility of even starting a conversation like maybe we should have more rigid and required check ups at the DMV for seniors, but the AARP really makes sure that is political suicide.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I know everyone is memeing in this thread and its just a poorly veiled bait thread but that doesn't change the fact that old people are one of the largest and most monolithic voting blocs in the US. It really hampers any possibility of even starting a conversation like maybe we should have more rigid and required check ups at the DMV for seniors, but the AARP really makes sure that is political suicide.

The guy who was honking at the old person driving the wrong way on a roundabout was probably doing them a favour. A lot of old people don't realize how much their driving skills and cognitive skills in general are slipping until there's a sharp shock that makes them confront it. Good think it was just a goon honking at them and not driving into a farmers market or something.

FilthyImp posted:

Computer-aided AI driving is only 2 years away. I say we jump the trend and develop Computer-Aided Voting

Even if this were provided as an unofficial advisory tool, I think it would be a good thing to make available to everyone. A lot of people end up getting tricked into voting against their own interests and the things they actually believe in.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Chokes McGee posted:

/

thanks I got it for calling a confederate sympathiser a racist

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PT6A posted:

The guy who was honking at the old person driving the wrong way on a roundabout was probably doing them a favour. A lot of old people don't realize how much their driving skills and cognitive skills in general are slipping until there's a sharp shock that makes them confront it. Good think it was just a goon honking at them and not driving into a farmers market or something.

When my grandpa would drive my grandma and I around in Boston he would very frequently (like every other time we went out driving) end up physically bumping into other cars while parallel parking.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Ytlaya posted:

When my grandpa would drive my grandma and I around in Boston he would very frequently (like every other time we went out driving) end up physically bumping into other cars while parallel parking.

That's how you park in Boston.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'll see how I feel when I get old. Old people I grew up around told me I'll vote Republican because I'll be smarter then and be paying real taxes.

I'll post back in this thread in 50 or so years with my update.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
If a 95 year old is lucid enough to vote then why isn't a 14 year old?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

PT6A posted:

The real problem is that seniors have more influence in democratic systems because they're reliable voters, and young people are not. If you want to fix that, the solution is for young people to get off their loving lazy asses and exercise their right to vote, not to take it away from other people. There aren't so many seniors that they would comprise a majority in pretty much any western society, it's just that they're the ones who're actually voting.

Nah, google aging population

Old people are a majority or will be in a lot of countries

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

XMNN posted:

thanks I got it for calling a confederate sympathiser a racist

What's up, embarrassed-a-Lost-Causer-and-all-I-got-was-an-avatar buddy!

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

boom boom boom posted:

There's a certain kind of thought that pops up from time to time. Especially in this forum although it's certainly not limited to here. We just need to wait for all the elderly to die before we can vote in good politicians. All old people are racist, or ignorant, or afraid, and vote for bad things. Baby Boomers are the worst generation. The Boomers are just sucking up every resource they can before they die. And other variations.

But it's gone from a kind of background radiation to being pretty front and center with the Brexit vote

The elderly have less time to live with the consequences of their vote. That image has been posted a lot recently, and I think it's not too hard to see what the next step from that thinking is. Since the elderly don't have to live with the consequences of their votes, should they be allowed to vote? That's the question people seem to be tip-toeing right up to, or dancing around. But I say let's have it out.

Should people over a certain age lose the right to vote?

I understand that it is tempting to disparage those that you disagree with, but the elderly aren't some group of YOLO ballot berserkers who vote for terrible things purposefully to set the world on fire. They're people just like you with different opinions and a different perspective on things. They don't view the world like you do but they have a voice, and that voice should be heard. Universal suffrage is the keystone in the foundation of democracy, and the people its architects. Everyone, young and old, has a right to vote. Would you tell a 90 year old World War II veteran that he cannot partake in the democracy he fought to protect? Ludicrous.

Maybe if you don't like how old people vote, you should go out and vote instead of trying to take away someone else's right to do so.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Honestly I want to take away the voting rights of anyone who disagrees with me. No irony, no bullshit. I'm right, and that means not agreeing with me is wrong and should be punished.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Professor Tomtom posted:

Honestly I want to take away the voting rights of anyone who disagrees with me. No irony, no bullshit. I'm right, and that means not agreeing with me is wrong and should be punished.

:same:

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Rookersh posted:

You can register same day, there are voting booths set up in schools/everywhere so you can vote after class, you can email in your vote, etc etc.

Guess what, Minnesota averages 75% ( The country average is 40% last I checked ) voter turnout. It can easily reach up to 85-90% voter turnout for Presidential elections. Minnesotans, including young adults vote.

Young people don't not vote because they don't care. They don't vote because they can't. They don't vote because they have to work that day, and when you work retail there aren't enough people to cover you leaving just so you can go vote. They don't vote because they can't lose the $50 they'd make going to work that day if they hope to eat that month. They don't vote because millennials are the least mobile generation, and having to bus to a voting booth is hard to justify. They don't vote because most of them work two jobs, and figuring out how to vote in that is near impossible. They don't vote because giving up 4-5 hours of their day waiting in line is a sacrifice they can't give.

The Elderly are stable voters because none of this effects them. If you are retired, you can go to vote whenever you feel like it. Waiting in line is fine, it's a civic duty and it's not like there's anything else you need to do. Elderly people drive, so getting to a voting booth is easy, etc etc.

The solution isn't to take the vote away from the Elderly. It's to make voting easier for younger generations, and to encourage higher voter turnout.

In the UK you can vote by post or by proxy, which means you nominate a person to vote on your behalf. All they need is your name and address and your nomination a week or so in advance. If you forget to vote by post you can take your postal ballot along on the day and it will be recorded there and then, and if you're able to get there before your proxy then you vote first and they're not allowed to vote for you again.

Polling stations are open from 7am to 10pm which is for 15 hours. People are only allowed to work for up to 13.5 hours in a day so you still have 1.5 hours to vote if you didn't bother getting a postal vote or nominating a proxy. A proxy can vote for up to three people if nominated (plus themselves).

The law in the UK allows any person to take "a reasonable time off work" to vote on an election day (admittedly this has never been tested in court).

On a more unofficial level, if you are unable to vote due to distance then whichever political party you intend to vote for will be overjoyed to send a car out for you (and for free!). And it's a secret ballot so even if they can't just phone another and get them to take you.

Plenty of options.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Over here in the rear end-end of the Nordics elections of any sort are always held on Saturday and if you can't make it then you can turn in your vote up to eight weeks before election day although it's a bit more of a hassle. No one needs to register for anything.

A lot of young people still don't vote because voting is for nerds who care about politics.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In Canada we have advanced voting, special ballots, and guarantees of time off work if you need to go on the day of the election. People don't always take advantage of them. We also have political parties that will try to arrange rides for people who need them. For the elections that happened when I was in university, the university had advanced voting areas set up in the student union building, and you could vote there no matter where you lived (you just had to show proof of address to get the correct ballot). I don't know how much easier it could be made, honestly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rookersh posted:

The interesting thing is that several mail in ballot states (like Oregon) have much lower turnout rates than Minnesota. Adds credence to the argument that it's a cultural issue and not an access issue necessarily.

Then of course in other countries you have abysmal turnout for the EU parliamentary elections, which is very interesting in light of their otherwise high turnouts.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Also, where the gently caress are voting lines 4-5 hours? The longest I've ever spent voting was like 30-45 minutes, including walking back and forth to the polling place.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

PT6A posted:

Also, where the gently caress are voting lines 4-5 hours? The longest I've ever spent voting was like 30-45 minutes, including walking back and forth to the polling place.

Deliberately underserved neighbourhoods that are the targets of voter suppression.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

N. Senada posted:

I'll see how I feel when I get old. Old people I grew up around told me I'll vote Republican because I'll be smarter then and be paying real taxes.

I'll post back in this thread in 50 or so years with my update.

On my 35th birthday I declared I was old. I'd been paying taxes for over a decade, working a full time rigorous job, had my own place on my own, manage my own stock portfolio and have several months of pay ready for emergencies in a savings account, but nope. Apparently I still have yet to grow up, and it's only a matter of time before I wake up and realize I should vote Republican.

At least that's what I was told by bf's childhood friend who makes 6 figures doing something so unimportant that he just drinks beers on the beach all day and rides his Harleys across the state on a whim. He's over 50 and living like a teenage dropout. But he's the grown up.

I don't wish to take away my parents right to vote, but I wish there was a better way to engage the voting elderly in the younger part of the community so they get a better view of what young adults are really up against, rather than just relying on Fox News.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bast Relief posted:

I don't wish to take away my parents right to vote, but I wish there was a better way to engage the voting elderly in the younger part of the community so they get a better view of what young adults are really up against, rather than just relying on Fox News.

my parents should be in jail which would probably solve the issue tbh

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
After the abysmal turnout of my generation in the US midterms two years ago I'm becoming more sympathetic to the idea of mandatory voting.

Revoking suffrage to any class of people is stupid. You may as well install a vanguard party and hope they'll make the state magically wither away.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Voter suppression is a good argument for senior sufferage.

Nazareth posted:

I understand that it is tempting to disparage those that you disagree with, but the elderly aren't some group of YOLO ballot berserkers who vote for terrible things purposefully to set the world on fire.

citation needed

Nazareth posted:

They're people just like you with different opinions and a different perspective on things. They don't view the world like you do but they have a voice, and that voice should be heard. Universal suffrage is the keystone in the foundation of democracy, and the people its architects. Everyone, young and old, has a right to vote. Would you tell a 90 year old World War II veteran that he cannot partake in the democracy he fought to protect? Ludicrous.

I agree with you, but I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. Yes, I do. Let's take Brexit. When the policy is so obviously detrimental that people have been shouting "don't do it you loving chodes" for months and the old people decide to push the "Leave (and nuke economy)" button, I can't help but feel at this point they are using their reputation to excuse their ignorance/nationalism/racism/what-have-you. And since they don't have to live for too long and see the full effect of their gently caress-up, it doesn't feel fair. And fairness is also the keystone of democracy.
And since they cannot fully experience what they have just unleashed, how do we go about making sure this is fair to those who do?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Are polling stations in the US really as bad as some of you are saying? In the UK they're open from like 7 to 10, they're almost all within 5-10 minutes walking time (in cities at least), we have postal voting, and there's barely been anyone in my one every time I've gone. This stuff about working people not having time to vote or queue is bizarre to me. But in the UK we still have poo poo voter turnout despite all this, so just making voting easier is not the answer (though it can't hurt).

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It depends on which state you live in. In the last presidential election there was a lot of active voter suppression by Secretaries of State, particularly in Ohio and Florida. In Florida some people were queueing to vote for 7+ hours, and we didn't get Florida's official result until days later. Fortunately we learned not to leave presidential elections up to Florida anymore.

edit:
Also I don't think it's fair to lay the Brexit vote entirely on the elderly, especially to the 39% of elderly voters who voted Remain. I don't think this generational tension is very helpful, it's as annoying as hearing old people complain about strawman millenials who don't exist. Disenfranchising the elderly would mean not having to care about economically screwing them over, and I'd like to not have to keep working until I die because some petty youngsters want to feel smug.

Donkwich fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nazareth posted:

I understand that it is tempting to disparage those that you disagree with, but the elderly aren't some group of YOLO ballot berserkers who vote for terrible things purposefully to set the world on fire. They're people just like you with different opinions and a different perspective on things. They don't view the world like you do but they have a voice, and that voice should be heard. Universal suffrage is the keystone in the foundation of democracy, and the people its architects. Everyone, young and old, has a right to vote. Would you tell a 90 year old World War II veteran that he cannot partake in the democracy he fought to protect? Ludicrous.

Maybe if you don't like how old people vote, you should go out and vote instead of trying to take away someone else's right to do so.

Eh, I agree about universal suffrage being the best option, but not because it's somehow beneficial to have everyone voting. It's just that limiting voting has a bunch of negative effects and it would be very difficult to ensure that voting isn't also limited for other groups if you limit it for one group.

I guess what I'm saying is that old people voting in and of itself is not a good thing. We would absolutely be better off if every old person suddenly decided not to vote. It's just that forcibly removing their right to vote causes a whole bunch of problems that vastly outweigh any benefits from doing so.

• Locked thread