Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
After the abysmal turnout of my generation in the US midterms two years ago I'm becoming more sympathetic to the idea of mandatory voting.

Revoking suffrage to any class of people is stupid. You may as well install a vanguard party and hope they'll make the state magically wither away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It depends on which state you live in. In the last presidential election there was a lot of active voter suppression by Secretaries of State, particularly in Ohio and Florida. In Florida some people were queueing to vote for 7+ hours, and we didn't get Florida's official result until days later. Fortunately we learned not to leave presidential elections up to Florida anymore.

edit:
Also I don't think it's fair to lay the Brexit vote entirely on the elderly, especially to the 39% of elderly voters who voted Remain. I don't think this generational tension is very helpful, it's as annoying as hearing old people complain about strawman millenials who don't exist. Disenfranchising the elderly would mean not having to care about economically screwing them over, and I'd like to not have to keep working until I die because some petty youngsters want to feel smug.

Donkwich fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 13, 2016

• Locked thread