Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's a certain kind of thought that pops up from time to time. Especially in this forum although it's certainly not limited to here. We just need to wait for all the elderly to die before we can vote in good politicians. All old people are racist, or ignorant, or afraid, and vote for bad things. Baby Boomers are the worst generation. The Boomers are just sucking up every resource they can before they die. And other variations.

But it's gone from a kind of background radiation to being pretty front and center with the Brexit vote

The elderly have less time to live with the consequences of their vote. That image has been posted a lot recently, and I think it's not too hard to see what the next step from that thinking is. Since the elderly don't have to live with the consequences of their votes, should they be allowed to vote? That's the question people seem to be tip-toeing right up to, or dancing around. But I say let's have it out.

Should people over a certain age lose the right to vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But this system doesn't care about the opinion of the people who are too laze to vote. Rather, it takes the people who go against the trends in their age bracket and rewards them with more influence, for being good citizens who take their responsibilities seriously. Deciding to vote when half your peers decide not to clearly proves you're deserving of a greater say, while doing the same when 90% of your peers vote is not such a big deal. This system would also encourage politicians to care more about the youth vote, which in turn could make young people care more about politics, rather than decide it's just for old people because those are the only ones politicians care about.

IIRC, there's also some big discrepancies in voter turnout among different races. Would your system apply to race too?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SSNeoman posted:

Old people have social and political capital that young people have no way to access. That's what's missing from your little bootstrap calculus. They control the Overton window, they control the job market and they are unwilling to engage with any ideas beyond their increasingly narrow world view. That's what leads to voter depression among the young, and no amount of yelling about how "Voting MATTERS!" will change that.

How do the elderly control the Overton Window, if not by reliably voting?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SSNeoman posted:

They own media conglomerates, businesses and politicians tend to be either their age or a generation after, so they do their best to coincide their interests with the elderly voters.
I bet the second their interests stop being represented they will stop voting reliably and become the new Bernie Bros

I don't know about The elderly owning all that. I think some elderly own that stuff. Like how some Jews have a lot of power in Hollywood, but Jews don't run Hollywood

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
A thought comes to mind, if old people can't vote, does that cover old people? What about, like, old gays? They're pretty cool.

• Locked thread