Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think that letting the elderly vote is a lesser evil and, while a bad thing, is less of a bad thing than taking away their right to vote. It's possible to simultaneously believe that the elderly are generally dumber than the rest of the population while also realizing that preventing them (or any other demographic) from voting causes far more problems than it solves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PT6A posted:

Oh you mean like being more likely to be poor and in ill health? Yeah, those olds sure have it made! :rolleyes:

Generally when a whole demographic (determined by something out of a person's control, like age, sex, race, etc) differs significantly in behavior from another whole demographic, the reason has nothing to do with "this demographic is just lazy or otherwise inferior." When looking at large groups, people generally do things for a reason, and there is probably some reason young people are less likely to vote other than them just being inherently lazier than older people.

edit: If you absolutely must talk about ways to limit voting, doing it based upon age is really dumb. The only way I could think of that has even a remote chance of accomplishing anything positive is to ask people questions that clearly indicate whether they're a racist rear end in a top hat (or hate the poor or some other "obviously bad" thing). Like, it's hard to feel bad for limiting the voting rights of someone who agrees with the statement "Black people are not as intelligent as white people." Even then, you're likely to run into a bunch of problems with wording the questions in a fair way that everyone can understand, so it's better to just not limit voting at all.

Spoondick posted:

That might not be such a great idea considering millennials are now one of the highest-risk groups for scams and fraud:

There's an element of truth here, though in the end very young voters (18-25) still obviously vote much better than the elderly. I would say that they probably don't have better political views than "still young but have fully developed brains" people (maybe age 25-40 or so), though. I don't know a single person who actually had very good reasons for and a deep understanding of their political beliefs during college, even if they may have ended up with views I currently agree with. College-aged people are generally very easily persuaded (or at least moreso than people a few years older).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 2, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sword and Sceptre posted:

I saw an old woman driving the wrong way around a roundabout today, I followed her while yelling, slurring, honking at her in hopes of traumatizing her failing dementia riddled mind into never driving again. Yes we should revoke the right of the olds to drive and probably vote.

She probably didn't even know why you were honking at her, sort of like how punishing your pet dog or cat is often difficult or pointless because they can't make the connection between the punishment and the behavior that caused the punishment.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PT6A posted:

The guy who was honking at the old person driving the wrong way on a roundabout was probably doing them a favour. A lot of old people don't realize how much their driving skills and cognitive skills in general are slipping until there's a sharp shock that makes them confront it. Good think it was just a goon honking at them and not driving into a farmers market or something.

When my grandpa would drive my grandma and I around in Boston he would very frequently (like every other time we went out driving) end up physically bumping into other cars while parallel parking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nazareth posted:

I understand that it is tempting to disparage those that you disagree with, but the elderly aren't some group of YOLO ballot berserkers who vote for terrible things purposefully to set the world on fire. They're people just like you with different opinions and a different perspective on things. They don't view the world like you do but they have a voice, and that voice should be heard. Universal suffrage is the keystone in the foundation of democracy, and the people its architects. Everyone, young and old, has a right to vote. Would you tell a 90 year old World War II veteran that he cannot partake in the democracy he fought to protect? Ludicrous.

Maybe if you don't like how old people vote, you should go out and vote instead of trying to take away someone else's right to do so.

Eh, I agree about universal suffrage being the best option, but not because it's somehow beneficial to have everyone voting. It's just that limiting voting has a bunch of negative effects and it would be very difficult to ensure that voting isn't also limited for other groups if you limit it for one group.

I guess what I'm saying is that old people voting in and of itself is not a good thing. We would absolutely be better off if every old person suddenly decided not to vote. It's just that forcibly removing their right to vote causes a whole bunch of problems that vastly outweigh any benefits from doing so.

• Locked thread