Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Who What Now posted:

start filling everyone aged 80 and above.

Ewww no that's gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The real problem is that seniors have more influence in democratic systems because they're reliable voters, and young people are not. If you want to fix that, the solution is for young people to get off their loving lazy asses and exercise their right to vote, not to take it away from other people. There aren't so many seniors that they would comprise a majority in pretty much any western society, it's just that they're the ones who're actually voting.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Alternatively, to offset the structural differences which allow older citizens to vote more regularly, divide voters into age brackets and multiply the votes in any given bracket to be equal to a 100% turnout.

Oh you mean like being more likely to be poor and in ill health? Yeah, those olds sure have it made! :rolleyes:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

GargleBlaster posted:

The discussion's about England son. That'd mean half the people voting past about 11am would be completely shitfaced and end up doing something mentally retarded like voting the leave the EU.

Is Withnail & I a documentary?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

They own media conglomerates, businesses and politicians tend to be either their age or a generation after, so they do their best to coincide their interests with the elderly voters.
I bet the second their interests stop being represented they will stop voting reliably and become the new Bernie Bros

Removing the ability of seniors to vote would not have anything to do with the fact that the most powerful people are old (because they've accumulated power throughout their life -- no one starts out running a large company at 20). It would just mean the 99.9999% of old people that aren't CEOs are now even more hosed than young people.

Of all the old people I've ever met, shockingly, not one of them has been the owner of a media conglomerate!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sword and Sceptre posted:

I know everyone is memeing in this thread and its just a poorly veiled bait thread but that doesn't change the fact that old people are one of the largest and most monolithic voting blocs in the US. It really hampers any possibility of even starting a conversation like maybe we should have more rigid and required check ups at the DMV for seniors, but the AARP really makes sure that is political suicide.

The guy who was honking at the old person driving the wrong way on a roundabout was probably doing them a favour. A lot of old people don't realize how much their driving skills and cognitive skills in general are slipping until there's a sharp shock that makes them confront it. Good think it was just a goon honking at them and not driving into a farmers market or something.

FilthyImp posted:

Computer-aided AI driving is only 2 years away. I say we jump the trend and develop Computer-Aided Voting

Even if this were provided as an unofficial advisory tool, I think it would be a good thing to make available to everyone. A lot of people end up getting tricked into voting against their own interests and the things they actually believe in.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

In Canada we have advanced voting, special ballots, and guarantees of time off work if you need to go on the day of the election. People don't always take advantage of them. We also have political parties that will try to arrange rides for people who need them. For the elections that happened when I was in university, the university had advanced voting areas set up in the student union building, and you could vote there no matter where you lived (you just had to show proof of address to get the correct ballot). I don't know how much easier it could be made, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Also, where the gently caress are voting lines 4-5 hours? The longest I've ever spent voting was like 30-45 minutes, including walking back and forth to the polling place.

• Locked thread