Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The important thing is Hillary Clinton voted for the war, Bush who exactly?

So did Mike Pence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

CNN is laughable, though. Donald Trump and I agree on something.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

socialsecurity posted:

The problem is they keep repeating it and people believe it despite like 0 examples, to the point where the media acts scared to ask any questions and just accepts obvious lies.

I'd like to quote what someone said in the UKMT thread

Junkozeyne posted:

But the saved taxes for the richest will sure trickle down to the poorest. Honestly it's not far off. Any minute now, you will see how great it will be.

Actually it is not at all surprising that it can still be happening in this day and age. Consider for a moment that we have with the internet the greatest store of knowledge available at any time than in any other time in history and populists like Trump and the Brexiters can spout easily disprovable lies and people still believe those lies

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I'd like to quote what someone said in the UKMT thread

The problem is that you can find just as much stuff on the internet to confirm those lies as you can to disprove them, especially if you haven't learned how to tell internet bullshit apart from actual real information.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

computer parts posted:

You cannot win with 40% of the popular vote.

You could, but if that wouldn't cause riots and violent resistance to the election results I don't think anything would.

computer parts posted:

Clinton is very likable and there is no such thing as a likable Republican.

If she was up against Rubio I think he'd easily have a 4-5 point lead on her right now solely due to optics. Get him making some vague centrist speech at the RNC about jobs, the military...etc without giving some Pence-grade gently caress You Non-Christians tripe or a Trumpertantrum and yeah he'd be leading for sure.

It means Trump's pissing on the two biggest Kingmakers and all we need is for him to piss of Adelson and he'll be on his own if not actively worked against.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

socialsecurity posted:

The problem is they keep repeating it and people believe it despite like 0 examples, to the point where the media acts scared to ask any questions and just accepts obvious lies.

For they are morons who believe he actually has a chance when he doesn't.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm totally willing to hold Hillary's hawkishness on foreign policy and total lack of even token "maybe Israel isn't perfect, yo" against her, but at least she owned that vote and said it was wrong after the fact, even when there are mitigating factors in context that could let you forgive her for it (i.e. she was straight lied to by her President).

Not really disagreeing, but if anyone should be working under the assumption that Republicans are lying by default it's Hillary.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 1, 2016

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

I stayed out of the news and this forum entirely until the conventions to maintain my sanity and I just learned about the 11-hour benghazi hearing. Holy loving poo poo does Hillary have a iron will, there's no way that hearing was anything but psychological warfare and she won!

So are there any good reads about the amount of bullshit the gop has put Hillary through over the past 25 years?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NY Times is a myth! CNN is a joke! We are pawns, controlled by something greater: memes. The DNA of the soul.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nocturtle posted:

Not really disagreeing, but if anyone should working under the assumption that Republicans are lying by default it's Hillary.

I mean, I don't disagree, but I'm fairly sure that the sheer brazenness with which the Bush Administration lied to push it's neoconservative tripe was unprecedented in modern history. It wasn't like they were Iran-Contra style covering up covert actions, they brazenly walked into Congress with fabricated or faulty intelligence and straight up scared them with the threat of weapons of mass destruction in the hands of a rogue state so they'd rubber stamp a war. It's easy to say they should've known in hindsight, but it was pretty loving astonishing at the time, from what I've read.

(disclaimer: I'm too young to remember the Bush years in terms of detailed politics)

Edit: Actually, the other thing I just realized is that, in the immediate post-9/11 world, the administration lied and claimed a rogue state was directly involved in some way to 9/11, of course the junior Senator from New York was going to vote for war. What was she supposed to tell her voters, "sorry guys, I just didn't feel like it was worth it?"

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 1, 2016

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

vyelkin posted:

So did Mike Pence.

I think it's loving hilarious that we're at the point in post-factual politics where the GOP can collectively blame Obama and Clinton for the Iraq war on the basis of 'Clinton voted for it'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gyges posted:

He has one loving office in Florida, and it's in Sarasota of all the loving places. If you're only going to have one office in the Florida as a Republican, you're probably going to want it in one of the very few largish cities in the nation that's Republican dominated, Jacksonville. Especially since that city is pretty much what keeps Republicans in statewide power due to being the only place with enough votes to counter South Florida.

I live near Sarasota, and it's not a completely dumb idea: Sarasota is filled with wealthy, snobby white people, much like Boca Raton. Jacksonville is still the better option if you're only going to have one Florida office as a Republican, but there is some logic to a Sarasota office.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Hilary needs to pay off a couple new programs to cover Donald Trump as "In lighter news Donald Trump said something crazy again" puff piece and watch it destroy his sanity.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Family update: My Republican dad who's loathed the Clinton's as long as I can remember is now openly questioning a lot of the slander being brought up against Hillary asking other family members to double-check their sources. He was already at the 'gently caress it I'm not voting' stage a few weeks ago and may be shifting. Never thought I'd see the day.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I live near Sarasota, and it's not a completely dumb idea: Sarasota is filled with wealthy, snobby white people, much like Boca Raton. Jacksonville is still the better option if you're only going to have one Florida office as a Republican, but there is some logic to a Sarasota office.
He doesn't have an Orlando or Jacksonville office. How does he expect to win the state?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Xand_Man posted:

Hilary needs to pay off a couple new programs to cover Donald Trump as "In lighter news Donald Trump said something crazy again" puff piece and watch it destroy his sanity.

Actually they should just run that ad in every Republican-leaning state and watch motivation to vote among Trump supporters plummet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

sarmhan posted:

He doesn't have an Orlando or Jacksonville office. How does he expect to win the state?
Florida Man Questions Resolve of Florida People to Vote Against Their Own Interests

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Florida Man Questions Resolve of Florida People to Vote Against Their Own Interests
Well we did elect Governor Voldemort. Twice. (Disclosure I haven't lived in FL for 5 years).

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Trump: we will win bye YOOGE numbers because Hispanics love me. And if I say so it must be true!! Crooked Hillary should just quit now because her campaign is just :sad: beep bop beep

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sarmhan posted:

Lacking a Miami office can at least be forgiven since I think he'd be laughed out of town. Key West, maybe.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lightning Knight posted:

Actually they should just run that ad in every Republican-leaning state and watch motivation to vote among Trump supporters plummet.

Oh god this is brilliant, I'm hoping for it to become a whole genre of ads over the course of this campaign season.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

quote:

Trump Sick And Tired Of Mainstream Media Always Trying To Put His Words Into Some Sort Of Context

NEW YORK—Emphasizing that the practice was just more evidence of journalists’ bias against him, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump stated Thursday that he was sick and tired of the mainstream media always attempting to place his words into some kind of context. “The corrupt news media is constantly taking the things I say and putting them within the larger context of politics and global events—it’s absolutely sickening what they do,” said Trump, adding that many of the comments he has made—including his call yesterday for Russia to hack into the emails of his presidential opponent Hillary Clinton and publish the contents—had been repeatedly and unfairly contextualized with relevant facts about the world and pertinent information about the situation in which they were stated. “It’s completely shameful to take words I’ve spoken or written and try to connect them to some kind of objective reality. I say something, and the next thing I know, a crooked reporter is telling everyone what I said along with a fact-based explanation of what its implications are and why it matters. It’s ridiculous, and it has to stop.” Trump added that he would not hesitate to ban any news organization from his campaign that continued to twist his statements by implying they held any specific meaning about or relation to the world we inhabit.

The Onion

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr Cheeto posted:

There's a big window display near King Street in Jacksonville with a bunch of Trump signs and merch. I always assumed it was a campaign office but it could just as easily be an insane local businessman. I'll have to take some pictures.

Are you sure it wasn't a few months ago on Park Street? He had an office there during the primary that had a brick thrown through the window.

Honestly part of the problem is that Trump's campaign is such a mess you can't even go on his website and find out where he has offices for you to show up and volunteer at. I remember Obama made it easy as poo poo to find an office that you could show up to and help out.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I don't disagree, but I'm fairly sure that the sheer brazenness with which the Bush Administration lied to push it's neoconservative tripe was unprecedented in modern history. It wasn't like they were Iran-Contra style covering up covert actions, they brazenly walked into Congress with fabricated or faulty intelligence and straight up scared them with the threat of weapons of mass destruction in the hands of a rogue state so they'd rubber stamp a war. It's easy to say they should've known in hindsight, but it was pretty loving astonishing at the time, from what I've read.

(disclaimer: I'm too young to remember the Bush years in terms of detailed politics)

Edit: Actually, the other thing I just realized is that, in the immediate post-9/11 world, the administration lied and claimed a rogue state was directly involved in some way to 9/11, of course the junior Senator from New York was going to vote for war. What was she supposed to tell her voters, "sorry guys, I just didn't feel like it was worth it?"

They had Colin Powell go to the UN with a vial of anthrax and shake it around wile talking about nuclear technology and biological weapons. Remembering that Colin Powell was widely respected at the time and his backing up of the Bush Administration's push toward war was actually a big component of why people bought the lies. He and Condoleeaza were the only members of the administration with any credibility and they just burned it like flash paper in order to get their war.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gyges posted:

They had Colin Powell go to the UN with a vial of anthrax and shake it around wile talking about nuclear technology and biological weapons. Remembering that Colin Powell was widely respected at the time and his backing up of the Bush Administration's push toward war was actually a big component of why people bought the lies. He and Condoleeaza were the only members of the administration with any credibility and they just burned it like flash paper in order to get their war.

:stare:

I didn't know that. I still respected Colin Powell. :smith:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gyges posted:

Powell's also since come out and said that speech was the lowest point of his life.

Lightning Knight posted:

:stare:

I didn't know that. I still respected Colin Powell. :smith:

Rice & Powell were both extremely well respected and had bright futures in Washington at the time. There's a reason they both disappeared from politics in self-exile while Cheney & Rumsfeld remain.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 1, 2016

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What are the chances that Rubio loses the Senate race in Florida? Isn't it a relatively tight race for an incumbent senator that was pretty well liked (before he was emasculated by an orange muppet in front of the entire nation)?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

About ~40% of Democrats in congress saw through the charade, so it's not exactly a hindsight is 20/20 thing. Lots of people at the highest levels of power were publicly disputing the Bush administration's "evidence" and the need for an invasion. The US also has a long history of getting into unnecessary conflicts for dubious reasons, so I'd argue skepticism is always warranted.

I don't want to make this about Clinton, she's obviously the best presidential candidate. The US invasion of Iraq was absolutely wrong (morally, strategically, economically) and it pains me to see Democrats trying to downplay the decision to go to war because it's politically expedient.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

vyelkin posted:

So did Mike Pence.

And acted as one of the main propagandists for keeping it going.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nocturtle posted:

About ~40% of Democrats in congress saw through the charade, so it's not exactly a hindsight is 20/20 thing. Lots of people at the highest levels of power were publicly disputing the Bush administration's "evidence" and the need for an invasion. The US also has a long history of getting into unnecessary conflicts for dubious reasons, so I'd argue skepticism is always warranted.

I don't want to make this about Clinton, she's obviously the best presidential candidate. The US invasion of Iraq was absolutely wrong (morally, strategically, economically) and it pains me to see Democrats trying to downplay the decision to go to war because it's politically expedient.

I'm not so much downplaying the decision as much as I'm pushing against the narrative that it was as obvious in 2003 how bad it was going to be as it is today, because that's preposterous. And Hillary still has gone on the record saying her decision to vote for it was 100% wrong and she regrets it, and in spite of that people act like she cast the tiebreaking vote and we went to war over 90% of the country being against it or some such.

Edit: That said, Russ Feingold being one of the people who voted against it is one of the big reasons I'm excited for him to possibly come back into the Senate this year.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 1, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mahoning posted:

What are the chances that Rubio loses the Senate race in Florida? Isn't it a relatively tight race for an incumbent senator that was pretty well liked (before he was emasculated by an orange muppet in front of the entire nation)?

Probably around the same as the chances that Hillary wins Florida. Patrick Murphy could really gently caress up, but generally there is a very low likelihood that people are going to vote both Hillary and Rubio on the ballot.

Remember that he was elected in 2010 in a 3 way race that saw him get a whopping 26k more votes than Rick loving Scott in a Republican wave year.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not so much downplaying the decision as much as I'm pushing against the narrative that it was as obvious in 2003 how bad it was going to be as it is today, because that's preposterous. And Hillary still has gone on the record saying her decision to vote for it was 100% wrong and she regrets it, and in spite of that people act like she cast the tiebreaking vote and we went to war over 90% of the country being against it or some such.

Edit: That said, Russ Feingold being one of the people who voted against it is one of the big reasons I'm excited for him to possibly come back into the Senate this year.

It actually was obvious, everybody knew it was a terrible plan. Almost all US politicians went along with it because war fever was high and they believed it would excuse their actions. One of the main reasons Obama had initial support from the left of the party is the fact that even from a position of safety where he did not hold national office, he opposed the war.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SedanChair posted:

It actually was obvious, everybody knew it was a terrible plan. Almost all US politicians went along with it because war fever was high and they believed it would excuse their actions. One of the main reasons Obama had initial support from the left of the party is the fact that even from a position of safety where he did not hold national office, he opposed the war.

As I read about the war, I'm starting to agree with you. Oof. I mean at least she repudiated it, and I'm not convinced the public at large knew better, but yeah, it looks pretty bad. I'm still amazed at how badly the Bush Administration fabricated a reason to go to war. I didn't realize that "Bush lied, people died" wasn't an exaggeration.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Gyges posted:

Probably around the same as the chances that Hillary wins Florida. Patrick Murphy could really gently caress up, but generally there is a very low likelihood that people are going to vote both Hillary and Rubio on the ballot.

Remember that he was elected in 2010 in a 3 way race that saw him get a whopping 26k more votes than Rick loving Scott in a Republican wave year.

Funny that the Dems could possibly pick up 3 senate seats in the 3 swing states of OH, PA, and FL. I think it's unlikely in Ohio considering for Hillary to win she'll need some support from swing voters who are not going to vote for Ted loving Strickland. But hey, it's possible I guess.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So while out for a walk at a park near my home I noticed a shitload of old people out having a picnic. This isn't unusual except they also had huge ornate buffet trays set up on tablecloths with a bunch of old black guys serving food. I went up the hill to see what the gently caress was going on and walked into Dave Brat out stumping for Glen Davis. Glen looks like a cross between David Mitchell from every UK quiz comedy show ever and Rick Santorum, except when he talks he always sounds like he's out of breath. I'm pretty sure just about every single person at the picnic won't live to vote in 2020.

Glen was going on about how the GOP will DEFINITELY take back the white house, and how we need to put a businessman in charge of the country since Obama has run it into the ground. Nevermind that Hoover was also a businessman and that didn't go so hot. I think Brat and the Republicans were trying to make some showing of solidarity since he knocked Cantor out of his seat, so they had a small hatchet and buried it in the middle of the gathering in order to "bury the hatchet". I couldn't make this up.They had a bunch of food but before I left I noticed they had a bunch of coolers off to the side filled with ice cream so I grabbed a few courtesy of the Henrico VA Republican party and went home.

I really wanted to prod some of those people a bit but it wasn't a very friendly environment. One of the older guys there started asking why Republicans had recently (lol) started talking about cutting social security. Brat and Davis just both said "Oh we're going to look into who was saying those things" and then someone in a suit asked the guy to move along.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

As I read about the war, I'm starting to agree with you. Oof. I mean at least she repudiated it, and I'm not convinced the public at large knew better, but yeah, it looks pretty bad. I'm still amazed at how badly the Bush Administration fabricated a reason to go to war. I didn't realize that "Bush lied, people died" wasn't an exaggeration.

The good news is, Trump is so dumb he has taken this issue away as a weakness for Hillary. If he kept his attack to "she was a senator, she had the intelligence, she should have known better" that would be effective. But because of his narcissism and stupidity, he has to insist that he went on the record as being against the invasion--which he never did. So instead of the Iraq issue being about Hillary's cynicism or poor decision making, it's about Trump lying, again.

And people who care about who supported invading Iraq actually follow news and stories, so it's not like Trump's normal idiot base is at play over this issue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

If she was up against Rubio I think he'd easily have a 4-5 point lead on her right now solely due to optics. Get him making some vague centrist speech at the RNC about jobs, the military...etc without giving some Pence-grade gently caress You Non-Christians tripe or a Trumpertantrum and yeah he'd be leading for sure.

People have said this for what, 12 years now and every time it's been wrong. And the past two times were vaguely centrist candidates too.

Somehow you still had Mitt Romney saying "raise the military's budget by $5 trillion" even though he supposedly had no reason to.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Necc0 posted:

Powell's also since come out and said that speech was the lowest point of his life.

Huh. I would have thought it was his sweeping the my lai massacre under the rug during the Vietnam war.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SedanChair posted:

The good news is, Trump is so dumb he has taken this issue away as a weakness for Hillary. If he kept his attack to "she was a senator, she had the intelligence, she should have known better" that would be effective. But because of his narcissism and stupidity, he has to insist that he went on the record as being against the invasion--which he never did. So instead of the Iraq issue being about Hillary's cynicism or poor decision making, it's about Trump lying, again.

And people who care about who supported invading Iraq actually follow news and stories, so it's not like Trump's normal idiot base is at play over this issue.

I'm not really concerned about Trump in that context though, honestly. I'd expect to see Hillary being attacked from the left before she was attacked on the right for the Iraq War, and I don't really know how to defend Hillary on foreign policy because she's too hawkish for my taste. It's the only part of her platform I don't readily support, which is unfortunate. I no longer buy into the juvenile theory that she's a neoconservative who will blunder right into a war with Iran for no reason, but she's demonstrably more hawkish than Obama and I think we already drone and torture too many people. Perhaps it will amount to nothing, though. It's not like the majority of Americans are informed enough about foreign policy to understand why her being hawkish is bad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lightning Knight posted:

Johnson is hammering him with that and the fact he voted against the PATRIOT Act without actually saying it was the PATRIOT Act.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It means Trump's pissing on the two biggest Kingmakers and all we need is for him to piss of Adelson and he'll be on his own if not actively worked against.

The Koch's came out and said "We didn't even invite you you gently caress," and proceeded to mention that they're solely downballot this year. This also ties into my prior point in this post as they've pulled support for Johnson because he supports Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SedanChair posted:

Actually, there appears to be one recorded instance of Donald Trump talking about the Iraq War prior to the invasion.

Howard Stern: Are you for invading Iraq?
Donald Trump: Yeah, I guess so. I wish the first time it was done correctly.

• Locked thread