Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I choose to believe there is a timeline in which Carlos did do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

c teams shifting adventure was the best part of the game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The study room is probably the best puzzle room with Eric's reactions to the items, the usage of the doll portraits and having the best ending attached to it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Cake Attack posted:

c teams shifting adventure was the best part of the game

Yeah, I dug the realization that they could shift, but that was probably because I was anticipating a zero who knew about that sort of poo poo and had some sort of measures in place to deal with it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

By the way, cool detail I noticed the first time around. In the ending where Sigma and Diana hook up and make futurepastquantumbabbies, this is the status chart.

And then

This, of course, made me think Sean was Delta, so when I then went back to the Triangle Stand-Off and inserted Delta I was... confused.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Terper posted:

By the way, cool detail I noticed the first time around. In the ending where Sigma and Diana hook up and make futurepastquantumbabbies, this is the status chart.

And then

This, of course, made me think Sean was Delta, so when I then went back to the Triangle Stand-Off and inserted Delta I was... confused.

gently caress

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I hate this game and the man who created it

He's evil and must be stopped

alcharagia posted:

Uchikoshi sucks and deserves to die.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Terper posted:

And then

I did once check and realized that the status screen updates immediately, but gently caress, this is insane

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The best thing about this game is Carlos screwing up at everything he does. He tries to jump to another timeline to save Junpei and Akane from "Penalty Penalty", gets killed two or three times, finally comes back and tells them to use the transporter, then blows up the transporter with them still alive and inside of it, killing the very versions of them he was trying to save.

And then when he jumps to the other timeline to save them, it's the one where Radical-6 was released. :allears:

Terper posted:

And then

Holy poo poo.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
This may be just me forgetting a plot point because I played this part way too late in the evening, but in the twins ending where Sigma and Diana are stranded (execute Q -> incinerate phi -> Monty hall -> teleporter room), Akane escapes, right? At that point, she should still know Sigma and Diana are alive and trapped. Is there any reason she wouldn't send help other than the fact that she is kind of a dick?

Then again, not knowing for sure allows for the outside possibility that right after the transporter is activated help shows up after the cinematic cuts out, preventing everyone from starving to death in the saddest video game ending ever (in addition to the kids starving, there's no way they didn't eat that dog first), so maybe I'll just choose to delude myself into thinking that is what happened after Delta and Phi get sent away to become grown-up Delta and Phi later.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Eric is my favourite character. Why the gently caress are he and Mira in the game? It's not like some "I saw you so you had to be here" like in 999.

Eric and Mira are the piranha in the fish tank. Eric presents an obvious source of danger (pointing shotguns in everyone's faces) and Mira presents a secret source of danger.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Winky posted:

Eric and Mira are the piranha in the fish tank. Eric presents an obvious source of danger (pointing shotguns in everyone's faces) and Mira presents a secret source of danger.

Isn't that only for shifting? I'm not even sure if Sean is technically shifting or his quantum computer is just so good at processing possibilities that it technically knows everything

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

Delta is like Hot Topic Levels of Edgy.

This whole game is Hot Topic levels of Edgy.

I loved it because it was hilarious.

Maybe I view Uchikoshi as more cynical than the rest of you, but I saw most of the "SO DARK" stuff in this game as intended to be intentionally hilarious. Like how often Akane ends up soaked in everyone else's blood.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Isn't that only for shifting? I'm not even sure if Sean is technically shifting or his quantum computer is just so good at processing possibilities that it technically knows everything

Mind you, Mira was the one who killed Junpei to set off Akane/Carlos, and Eric was in lots of situations where he was threatening other shifters later in the game.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The biggest problem with this game is that there are absolutely no stakes in anything and there's never a sense of urgency. In the final stretch of the game and getting deep into it almost all of the characters just stop caring about dying because "eh we'll just go to another time." and team C actively hunts for ways to nuke themselves.

By the end of the game I was basically invested for the twists and almost nothing else because there was hardly a reason to care because when the characters have infinite lives and are aware of that then tension from scenes is just gone.

That's essentially the point!

Delta is pissed that no one cares about what happens in each timeline, ala Junpei from VLR. To the SHIFTers they're just immortal, but to the people who can't SHIFT they're loving everyone else over in that timeline. That's part of the point of Akane getting so upset at Junpei about his plan, because it was horrific (and led to the thing they were trying to prevent in the first place, ultimately).

Delta's whole deal is not really that he had a grand plan, overall he's just trying to make a point.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Anyone noticed that Sean never bleed when injured? I wanted to think it it was because it was to avoid a higher rating but yeah it was kinda obvious he's a robot.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Anyone noticed that Sean never bleed when injured? I wanted to think it it was because it was to avoid a higher rating but yeah it was kinda obvious he's a robot.

Yeah, that's what tipped me off right away.

By the way, did we ever figure out if Quark was a clone of the original Sean, or another Sean robot who happened to have an actual head?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Quark is just a boy

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Terper posted:

Quark is just a boy

One of the death passwords was QUARK, and I remember there being a few important qualities to Quark that were never explained in VLR (he was super resilient, for one).

Also the Junpei/Quark relationship mirroring the Delta/Sean relationship doesn't seem like a coincidence.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
it's probably just an allusion, like how there's a lady with big breasts that's never really that important in the plot other in every game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Winky posted:

One of the death passwords was QUARK, and I remember there being a few important qualities to Quark that were never explained in VLR (he was super resilient, for one).

Also the Junpei/Quark relationship mirroring the Delta/Sean relationship doesn't seem like a coincidence.

One of the death passwords was Quark yes, but it was in connection to Junpei. It was just a nod towards their connection in VLR.

That reminds me that I kept track of all the death passwords and which characters they applied to. There are a few interesting things in there as some of them are actually kinda hints:

Carlos: DREAM FIRE FIGHT SHIFT SAVE
Akane: KEY CRASH JUNE SIX
Junpei: QUARK FIVE JUMP RING DOLL
Q: EYE AGE SELF
Eric: FOOL ICE LOVE LAKE
Mira: VIRGIN KILL HEART RIP
Diana: MOM BLUE BIRD MOON
Sigma: ARM MILK OLD FATE
Phi: DEAR RED TWIN

I'm pretty sure this is all of them and that I didn't make any mistakes.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 1, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was really weird for them to have a big moral quandary over loving over their coin flip selves in order to get the good ending, only for that to be the right choice and everyone be happy and ok with it after you do it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also I'm too busy to go back and start going through the scenes again with all the new info I got but, since Q was delta the whole time why was Sean the one hitting all the buttons and making all the decisions? I know that Delta was the one actually choosing all of the decision branches in all the scenarios, but it seemed to imply the only reason Mira and Eric let Sean do things like the execution vote was because he was the team leader, when he obviously isn't.

I'm probably just misinterpreting a piece of misleading dialogue I forgot about though or something.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Every time the characters SHIFT they're loving over another version of themselves. It's really inconsistent character writing, because they voiced their concerns about it several times (like the first SHIFT into C Team that just rolled all 1s) and determined they needed to do it to save everyone. Then they talk about how they shouldn't gently caress over other versions of themselves for their own selfish needs, ignoring that loving over other timelines is basically the baseline of every character's plan in these games.

More than in the other two games, ZTD had a lot of issues like this, where characters would do and say things that didn't mesh well with their developed character up to that point. Then it would just be kinda ignored, and only so much of it can be explained away by ~mind hacking~

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also I'm too busy to go back and start going through the scenes again with all the new info I got but, since Q was delta the whole time why was Sean the one hitting all the buttons and making all the decisions? I know that Delta was the one actually choosing all of the decision branches in all the scenarios, but it seemed to imply the only reason Mira and Eric let Sean do things like the execution vote was because he was the team leader, when he obviously isn't.

I'm probably just misinterpreting a piece of misleading dialogue I forgot about though or something.

When you go back and rewatch these scenes, Sean is not the one making the decisions, but it's made to look that way. For instance, during the execution vote it's actually clear that Mira and Eric are NOT talking to Sean, but are talking to someone else.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A good foreshadowing thing to Delta's motives is when the Q team has to decide between the poisons.

100% for sure death is the terrorist
75% is Zero's Radical-6

They cancel each other out

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Vaguido posted:

Every time the characters SHIFT they're loving over another version of themselves. It's really inconsistent character writing, because they voiced their concerns about it several times (like the first SHIFT into C Team that just rolled all 1s) and determined they needed to do it to save everyone. Then they talk about how they shouldn't gently caress over other versions of themselves for their own selfish needs, ignoring that loving over other timelines is basically the baseline of every character's plan in these games.

More than in the other two games, ZTD had a lot of issues like this, where characters would do and say things that didn't mesh well with their developed character up to that point. Then it would just be kinda ignored, and only so much of it can be explained away by ~mind hacking~

This was the point! Delta was telling them that they should think seriously about what they were doing when they SHIFT, because they weren't considering the actual implications of what they were doing.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Regy Rusty posted:

One of the death passwords was Quark yes, but it was in connection to Junpei. It was just a nod towards their connection in VLR.

That reminds me that I kept track of all the death passwords and which characters they applied to. There are a few interesting things in there as some of them are actually kinda hints:

Carlos: DREAM FIRE FIGHT SHIFT SAVE
Akane: KEY CRASH JUNE SIX
Junpei: QUARK FIVE JUMP RING DOLL
Q: EYE AGE SELF
Eric: FOOL ICE LOVE LAKE
Mira: VIRGIN KILL HEART RIP
Diana: MOM BLUE BIRD MOON
Sigma: ARM MILK OLD FATE
Phi: DEAR RED TWIN

I'm pretty sure this is all of them and that I didn't make any mistakes.

I know Dad is in there with sigma (or at least I think I remember that) because I was so confused for a while and went "oh it's either A. a joke on the sigmadad thing or B. him acting like a dad to phi and the rest of the people during VLR"

Welp.

Edit: oh right, Carlos has HERO and Junpei has HATE for the post-monty hall room I think.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Thinking more about the ending I think the new characters blow

Carlos is alright after his shifting shenanigans but he's still pretty boring. Mira's boring, Eric's boring. Sean is OK.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Carlos is powerfully American and strong. Sean is perfect.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

NJ Deac posted:

This may be just me forgetting a plot point because I played this part way too late in the evening, but in the twins ending where Sigma and Diana are stranded (execute Q -> incinerate phi -> Monty hall -> teleporter room), Akane escapes, right? At that point, she should still know Sigma and Diana are alive and trapped. Is there any reason she wouldn't send help other than the fact that she is kind of a dick?

Presumably she was injected with the memory drugs again and forgot

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
So if it turns out that Delta/Brother never really had a little brother, does that mean that Left is based off of Sean, and thus Dio is an extended clone of Sean?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
My notes also have FUTURE as a password for post-incinerator Phi. Assuming that wasn't some kind of fever dream it's noteworthy because the console only accepts five letter passwords.

voltcatfish posted:

Thinking more about the ending I think the new characters blow

Carlos is alright after his shifting shenanigans but he's still pretty boring. Mira's boring, Eric's boring. Sean is OK.

I think Carlos' problem is that we never get a chance to get to know him like we did Junpei and Sigma. Partly because screen time is split up between three protagonists, partly because we don't get any of his internal monologue or narration. Because of that he's much less identifiable than they are.

Sean avoids that a little by speaking most of his internal monologue aloud.

Arrrthritis posted:

So if it turns out that Delta/Brother never really had a little brother, does that mean that Left is based off of Sean, and thus Dio is an extended clone of Sean?

Delta had an adopted brother in 1904, Left is based on him.

Don't ask me who Y is, though.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Delving into the realms of wild speculation and double posting:

Why did Delta make himself a part of the Nonary game?

The closest thing we're given to an explanation is a predestination paradox, the same reason Akane had to be part of the game in VLR, but that's not terribly satisfying.

As a possible alternative, let's think about why Nonary games exist: every Nonary game to date has been an attempt to awaken SHIFT abilities in the participants. We know that Delta can't SHIFT and that he's jealous of those who can; is it possible that one of his goals for this game was to awaken SHIFT abilities within himself? If so that explains why he would repeatedly put himself in mortal danger. Obviously he's not successful, of course.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I didn't know there was a spoiler thread! I wish I started posting in here earlier.

As an aside, I have been collecting a list of all the hints to Q's actual identity on reddit, and I thought I'd post what I've collected so far here.

quote:

1) Literal shadows from Delta in most Q team scenes (here are the shadows from Pop-off, for example).

2) "The old man in the wheel chair" dialogue

3) If you try to select "Q" in the "who to shoot" scene, it will say to select Q's real name. If you input "Sean," it will give an error. If you choose "me" or "myself," the game will say "you cannot commit suicide." - Credit for expanding this goes to overchargext (reddit)

4) If you say that "Q" killed Mira, Eirc will say "that's impossible!," and if you select "Sean," or "me," he'll say "I knew it was you!" - Credit for expanding this goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

5) "The truth is invisible" anagram

6) The parasite discussion

7) Carlos/Diana not knowing why they pressed the decontamination button, or the bad execution choice (mindhacking). Sean never claimed he didn't do it, as he can't be mindhacked.

8) The anagram about the 10 that Akane finds

9) The scene after the radical 6 is chosen to not be injected where Eric talks to Gab and calls him "Old man," he is actually talking to Delta. Both Eric and Mira are looking to the screen (to Delta), and Sean asks if they could speak. - Credit goes to untuned (Something Awful), and to Ro9ge (reddit) for elaborating.

10) Q never has a portrait in the status screen, but there is one of Sean inside the Study - Credit goes to YoshiOfYellow (Something Awful)

11) "Even Q ... he couldn't see or hear when" (when talking about Q team execution) - Credit goes to voltcatfish (Something Awful)

12) Sean in Pop-off says "you are all really important to me" rather than "you both are really important to me," despite the fact he only knows Q team.

13) When Akane/June transport to the VLR timeline, Zero reveals that he has a little sister

14) When Zero tells Sean about the "old man" who visited him.

15) Eric says "I know the leader's supposed to decide who to vote for but...", because Delta is believed to be blind and deaf - Credit goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

16) Eric is suspicious of Sean because he isn't on the X-passes - Credit goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

17) If you try to shoot Mira, she will shoot twice before the X-pass notification comes on, because she also shoots Delta - Credit goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

18) Despite the fact that Carlos seems to know Q, he doesn't recognize the robot that looks like Sean - Credit goes to zatchel1 (reddit)

19) Towards the end of the C-team ending, when listening to the recording of Zero, Zero specifically says that he's dead in this timeline. This is also the timeline in which all of Q-team dies. - Credit goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

20) After Phi and Delta and delta are born, the status screen shows Q and Phi alive. Status before birth and status after birth - Credit goes to YouWithTheFace (reddit)

21) Decision game starts with "deci," which means ten - Credit goes to ultramario1998 (reddit)

22) When Sean decides to stay behind after pressing the Decontamination button, he is staying behind for Q, and it becomes clear with close examination that Gab is chained to the wheelchair, and Q is the one staying behind. Sean is looking at the Camera (at Delta) when he says that he stayed behind because of him. And when they try to unchain Q, they are always trying to get it off the pole, and not off Gab's paw. - Credit goes to Ro0ge.(reddit)

23) In the ending of the VLR timeline, Sigma asks "a child?" When he sees Sean's corpse, despite the previous indications that he knew Q was handicapped in another scene. Q doesn't show up as dead in the status screen. - Credit goes to Thisisalsomypass (reddit)

24) Generally, throughout C and D team fragments, they indicate they know Q at least somewhat, despite the fact that if you win the coin toss, it is revealed that no one seems to know Sean. - Credit goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

25) During "You are Zero," if you choose the identity of Zero wrongly, after Sean is dead, Eric shoots 3 more times despite the fact that only Diana and Sigma are left, and Gab is revealed to not have been shot. - Credit goes to RenegadeReaper (reddit)

26) When Q team is drinking at the bar before the vote, there is a glass to the right of Sean, and since Eric and Mira already had drinks, and Sean can't drink, it must have been for Q. - Credit goes to blankemp (reddit)

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 1, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh thank god we have a spoiler thread

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
So has anyone tried playing the PC version on an ultrawide monitor? I wonder if the developers bothered to test whether you could see the wheelchair on different aspect ratios.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I'm a monster.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

As an aside, I have been collecting a list of all the hints to Q's actual identity on reddit, and I thought I'd post what I've collected so far here.

A few of these, like #13, are really hints that Zero is Delta rather than hints that Q is not Sean, which are two very different mysteries. Certainly when I got to "Who is Zero?" I knew full well that Zero was Delta, but I had no idea Delta was Q; in fact I was almost certain that Delta was Eric and that he had messed with his own memories to provide a cover story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm a monster.

I did the same thing trying to find the third answer

• Locked thread