Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Gato posted:

- Is the consensus that using the morphogenetic field to transfer information (possibly assisted by the player/Blick Winkel) is a distinct process from SHIFT then?

Apparently so, since there's that one scene where Carlos witnesses events he wasn't personally present for in any timeline. I sort of wish they'd kept it ambiguous whether the alternate timelines you're exploring through the morphogenetic field actually exist instead of going all-in on the many-worlds interpretation being true, though; playing through doomed timelines is a lot more palatable when you're just exploring possible futures instead of outright killing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

If it makes you feel better, every possible timeline existing means all decisions are meaningless anyway since there's a timeline for every possible permutation (there's a timeline where Team C's shifting adventure didn't happen so all those alternate timeline selves that were killed actually survived, there's billions of timelines where shifters from timelines we didnt see jumped in and changed things) and they all happen - we just don't see most of them. Therefore you can't criticize the shifters for not caring about alternate lives since the writer chose to only show us the timeline where not caring is the only path to a good result as opposed to one of the billions where that isn't the case.

This had also occurred to me. Curiously, it somehow doesn't make me feel better.

quote:

The game makes a lot more sense if you assume all the people with that idea are wrong and the characters are really just pulling information out of the morphogenetic field about possible alternate timelines that never really happened, which is why they only see the most likely timelines - same reasoning applies to the quantum computer, it can simulate alternate paths without actually making each one a universe. Of course that makes it harder for the writer to navel gaze about killing alternate timeline selves.

After reading this I considered the possibility that you're actually playing as Sean the whole time and everything you play through is you simulating different futures, but I think the fact that you don't get a game over until a few seconds after Sean's deletion in the Complete Death ending pretty much contradicts that theory. Which is a pity, because it makes sense of a few things that "you're playing as Delta" doesn't.

(I know the closest thing to an official answer is that you're playing as a pandimensional being who just borrows the perspective of various characters at various times, but that answer's boring.)

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 11, 2016

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The puzzle room I was stuck on for the longest was the Bio-Lab, just because it took me forever to click in the right place to find the drat centrifuge manual even after checking a guide and knowing where I was supposed to look for it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

reading that thread and I love seeing all the things people are pointing out that I completely loving missed. This one's my current favorite:

:stare:

I figured there was something up with Q's name, since the Q door gets a callback in VLR too (and Junpei's reaction to it is one of my favourite things in that game).

I also guessed from the "self" X-Pass and the lack of a portrait on the status screen that the player was playing as Q the whole time, which turned out to be... about half-right, I guess? I was still completely off base about who Q actually was, of course -- right up until the reveal I thought that Delta was somehow Eric.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So Akane told Clover and Alice she'd have a way to send them back in time, but it was non-canon, so she actually just let them get stranded in the future forever?

I can believe that.

Given that the only explanation for how they'd get back was "Schrodinger's Cat", my original guess was that Akane never thought of the entire timeline branch that leads to VLR as the "real" timeline and her plan was just to arrange things so that they never had to be sent to the future in the first place, back at a time when it was still undetermined whether they'd go or not. The whole "all timelines are equally real" thing that ZTD goes with kinda throws that out the window, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

In hindsight all three games have pretty major plot holes, but 999 does the best job of keeping you from thinking about them until the game is over. Pity the lack of key QOL features like the flowchart makes it kind of a drag to play, but hopefully the rerelease fixes that.

• Locked thread