Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Cake Attack posted:

c teams shifting adventure was the best part of the game

Yeah, I dug the realization that they could shift, but that was probably because I was anticipating a zero who knew about that sort of poo poo and had some sort of measures in place to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
So if it turns out that Delta/Brother never really had a little brother, does that mean that Left is based off of Sean, and thus Dio is an extended clone of Sean?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Also am I the only one who really disliked SHIFTing being made visible in ZTD (and how it was depicted)?

Yeah I kinda agree with this. Although if we are going by the assumption that what we see is what Zero sees, it kinda makes sense that he would be able to see another consciousness travel into somebody's mind.

Even still, they would have been better off showing it with a look of realization or w/e, better than a floating blue ball of light.

I feel like Eric kinda deserves a bit of a break. He's a traumatized dude with attachment issues in a very intense situation, of course he would crack under the slightest bit of pressure.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

There's a part of me that thinks that Carlos was originally going to be Aoi Kurashiki, but was changed to an all-american hero guy so that newcomers would have someone to get explanatory dialogue from. His and Aoi's backstories are pretty drat similar in the sense that they would go through hell for their sister in order to save them from an inferno. That being said I still liked Carlos, especially for this shot they did with him.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

If someone could make an emote of a bloodied carlos crying in front of an american flag i would be the happiest dude.

Baal posted:

I loving died laughing that the route no one dies on the first character the villain thinks to kill is the dog everyone loves.

Same. Of course the friendly dog had to die at some point.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

While I think it's clever that every single choice made in the game is actually made by Delta and not the player, I think it's kind of boring how they just stuck with SHIFTING from VLR as the primary supernatural power aspect.

Maybe it would have just been retarded or whatever but I was convinced when Carlos pulled his whole fake-rape crap that it was a "?" situation where some unknown figure had hijacked Carlos' consciousness and that, that'd end up playing into why people made the bad choices but claimed it wasn't them and all that. That whole thing felt so pointless since Delta is just like "yeah I knew you'd do that" immediately after Carlos explains what really happened there.

Also for some reason anytime they show Carlos with the axe after he killed Akane, in the video feed I swear he has like an evil crazed look on him. Which I don't recall him having at all in the scene proper.

I think the main problem with Delta is that he's too omnipotent for his own good. The whole force-quit plan would have been really satisfying if it had led to Delta getting out-witted or getting a comeuppance of some sort, but instead he's just lol puppetmastering his entire way through the entire ending.

I don't think Uchikoshi was trying to make him as sympathetic as the other Zeroes (he kills 6 billion people, after all). There's definitely a lot of malice involved in the traps in the game (as evidenced by waking up the teams before they take an acid shower), and I get the impression that he has a lot of resentment towards his parents when Diana goes back down into the shelter (and he says his whole schizophrenia defense thing). He also seems to harbor jealousy/hatred towards Shifters for their callous use of their abilities *cough* Carlos *cough*.

This kind of gets me to think that his human elements are the things he would rather die than show anybody, and his response to Carlos at the end isn't much more than a puppetmaster defense. Because the last thing someone who was willing to set up traps to torture and kill someone would want to do is admit that they were wrong.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Delta should not have been Brother.

I don't know how I feel about this either way. On one hand it's kinda cool because it makes Dio's presence in VLR a sort of "gently caress YOU DAD" thing (although how Brother got to be that old I have no idea, unless he's a clone of a clone). On the other hand it kind of feels forced, like "oh hey here's a character that we need to make to answer this question we asked in the last game." When it probably would have been more effective if they had brought back someone from 999 (or someone related to a 999 character) to play the role. Although I'm probably wrong on that part, too.

Maybe they could have just gotten Vince McMahon to play Brother instead.

alcharagia posted:

Delta's best characterization comes from a moment before his identity is even revealed, his weird father-son chat with Sean. It's, like, the only point in the game where he actually seems actively human instead of an uber god of Mind Hacking, and "angry, loony old man makes a robot of one of the few people he's ever liked to try and see the world through his eyes" is an interesting spin on the whole "are you the real you" storyline or whatever I'm trying to say, and the fact that his entire role in the finale is as ze ultimate Nazi puppetmaster instead of Sean's weird grunkledad is one of the primary reasons he doesn't come across very well.

I agree with this. I feel like Sean's personality is a reflection of Delta's human nature as well. Luna in VLR is similar to Diana in the sense that Luna is only the good things Sigma remembered about his dead wife, while I think Robo-Sean is the only parts of Sean's mind that Delta was able to see. Kind of like, he really wanted to believe that this kid was the one good person in the entire world so when he died he created a robot of Sean and put him with some truly mentally dangerous people to prove himself right.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Arbitrary Number posted:

I interpreted that as him saying he can't SHIFT because he's dying, but that kind of makes sense. So after you SHIFT once you can't just keep SHIFTing a bunch of times until whatever was putting you in danger kills you.
They don't really explain what happens to the bodies/consciousness after they SHIFT out. Do they do that in VLR? It'd be kind of funny if right after someone SHIFTed in, they were themselves replaced by another version who SHIFTed in. Like instant karma.

I'd imagine with the analogy they used, the extra consciousness would SHIFT back into the body that was about to die.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I would be interested in seeing how someone handles playing the trilogy in the order of PC releases (ZTD - 999 - VLR) and if they can anticipate the twists in the subsequent games.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

I honestly think it would be if there weren't so many crap characters. Quark who does nothing, Alice who is poo poo, Ruined Clover. RUINED CLOVER! :argh:

This is probably my biggest gripe with VLR. Alice and Clover are so ineffectual & blatant fanservice while Quark would be so meh if it weren't for the letter he leaves you. I really wanted Alice and Clover to be cool, and I was really disappointed.

I feel like if they hadn't made them directly antagonistic to Dio and instead just made them cool people who happened to be there they would have been better and been able to do some cool stuff. Instead any action they perform is automatically thwarted because you can't have a good ending until the true ending.

Plus Alice & Clover get owned in ZTD because it turns out Junpei and Seven took out FTS' base of operations by themselves.

Jia posted:

I'll try this.

Good luck! You should probably bail from the thread if you want to remain unsullied.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 11, 2016

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

also Placidity is the best song in vlr and i'm glad it got a remix in this game

I really liked that VLR songs were used during D-team segments and 999 songs during C-team. I thought that was a pretty neat touch.

Momomo posted:

Not really. They're going after Brother and all the Left clones, which is not something Junpei stopped. Them destroying their base did absolutely nothing.

Also Alice was the best?? She might not have been very relevant to the overall plot but that's like the least important part of these games.

I mean Clover botches her operation and Alice's father dies during her rescue, so even if what Seven and Junpei did was ineffectual it's still better than A&C.

If you like Alice more power to you, I don't think she's anywhere near the best though and I would argue that she has the worst character design in the entire series.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

The core was by far the worst room, it is made up entirely of hidden object poo poo. The transporter room is the polar opposite where everything is a goddamn logic puzzle, and a really tough one too in that case.

I feel like I must be the only person to really like the transporter room. I didn't think the puzzle was too bad when I assumed every unique symbol stood for a prime number.

Transporter room and Pod room were probably my favorite puzzles. I agree with you on core though.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Beginning or End?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

someone should do a carlos montage to the tune of "I am a real american"

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

NO THEY CHANGED IT IN ZTD

donno is an acceptable answer for "who killed mira"

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I like Sean, but I can't say he has a good head on his shoulders.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I'm fairly certain the fragmented flowchart is another consequence of the game's limited budget. This way they don't need to program entire endings for every decision, only endings to scenes.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Yeah, Tautological reinforcement is a pretty big part of the ZE series and it's kind of a necessity for its conclusion.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

the next fire emblem will form your party based off of your social media accounts and if they die in the game they die in real life.

e: sorry you had to die grandma maybe next time you won't have such lovely stat growths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

and yet it's not in the OP???

• Locked thread