Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

But why was Eric in the experiment to begin with? I can see a purpose for everyone else (even if Mira's is a little shakey), but not him.

It's a bit of a weak link, but I would go with "it was a package deal".

Eric clings mercilessly to Mira, and Zero brought her in specifically because she was a serial killer, and as to serve as the piranha in the tank.

It's not really ever stated, but I don't think it's hard to assume that Eric was brought on because Mira signed up and he wouldn't let her go by herself for 6 months. They did sign up for the test together.

Eric was also directly affected by the snail and Mira had been waiting for a while to kill him and get his heart so it was pretty much a win win for Zero/Mira.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Mira being the one who killed Eric's mom becomes more explicit when both her and Eric said the same thing as they died, especially the smiling part since Eric constantly would yammer on about how his mom would say that.

it also makes a lot more sense when you realize that what draws Eric to Mira is that he reminds her of his mother a lot, because Mira literally stole her smiling expression from Eric's mom.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
in all honesty, has anyone done a tally and seen how exactly many people Team C killed starting after the reactor puzzle and until the VLR ending?

bonus points if you filter out how many times they shifted/killed equally doomed, murder-culpable, or actual murderers along the way

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Hop 1 - Carlos jumps after picking Ally and getting killed by Junpei - Carlos AB-Game Ally, 2 members of D Team die by muscle relaxant
Hop 2 - Carlos jumps after picking Betray and getting killed by Akane - Carlos AB-Game Betray is killed by this branch's Akane, Junpei, Akane, and a member of Team D are killed by muscle relaxant.
Hop 3 - Team C jumps to Rec Room where they lost -Rec Room losing decision Team C & Phi are blown up in the reactor explosion.
Hop 4 - Team C jumps to Lounge post-surviving Rec Room - Rec Room All 1s gets killed by the game of chance they escaped, except for Akane, who leaves the body for some other reason or dies. Not sure.
Hop 5 - Carlos jumps to Team Q dead branch, where Akane was killed by that branch's Carlos and he lost a hand. Technically nobody. Handless Carlos doesn't die in the All 1s timeline.
Hop 6 - Carlos jumps back to All 1s timeline. Handless Carlos from D-Team branch is returned to his timeline and is gunned down by Eric
Hop 7 - Junpei & Akane are sent to VLR branch. Carlos jumps to the Team C Yellow Button branch. Yellow Button Carlos dies (not counting pre-transport Akane or Junpei, since it was evil Sean who destroyed the console)
Hop 8 - No one, since VLR took place in the Team C dead branch and all Team C members are alive again

does that sound about right

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

voltcatfish posted:

This post in the main thread is also something I agree with:

I felt the tension in ZTD still never really hit VLR or 999 levels because they weren't mostly working as one group. I mean, the game itself kind of prevented it, but I'm not sure if it was the best choice.

I'm actually surprised how little the other teams interact in the final product, even via Gab.

There's some truth to that, but I'm in favor of not going to the well too often. We had 2 games of Machiavellian scheming and manipulation by the participants. Breaking up the sequence is good at disrupting monotony.

*- Exception being that someone is probably going to die horribly if the room solution involves a weapon

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Linguica posted:

Only two parts of the game really tripped me up:

* Q / Sean having to answer Eric's question. I just assumed that I would gain that knowledge in another timeline and it didn't occur to me to intentionally lose / answer "I DONT KNOW"
* In the incinerator puzzle room, I didn't realize that clicking on the window literally changed the viewpoint to Phi, and you could look around from Phi's perspective. I had to google a guide and saw it said "as Phi, do XYZ" and was like wait whaa?

For point 1 - Yeah. I think they were expecting you to time out or something, it kind of sucks that the right answer is ultimately rejected by Eric (for understandable reasons), but it kind of fails
For point 2 - I think the game intuits that after you do the puzzle to open the shutters so Phi can see, that you will then ask Phi if she can see anything now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

I'm currently stuck near the end-game. The last thing that I did was to get the 8 numbers long password from Zero after he revealed that Q is a wobot.
I tried using that password on the Force Quit Box and on the Yellow Door but it doesn't work there and I can't figure out where else to use it.

What am I missing?
Here's my flowchart: http://imgur.com/a/1tCY5

Carlos is about to set sail on a magical journey after trying to figure out how not to get killed in AB game after the first 2 times he did it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

:perfect:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raxivace posted:

THE WOMAN BURNED ALIVE IN AN INCINERATOR AS SMALL CHILD

We're in the universes that God forsook and she survived, remember

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Morphogenic96 posted:

Man I just finished this game and it was definitely a wild ride throughout. Even if I did enjoy it I still have a few gripes with some of the events though.

Regarding Zero being the fourth member of Q team: While it was foreshadowed, what was the point of that anyway? If Zero didn't want people to work out he was Q, there had to be simpler ways.
Was the whole six billion vs 8 billion deaths more than vaguely alluded to. It felt like the thing most asspullish thing.
How were Zero (and Phi) even born in the first place?

Also did Sigma really get his arms blown off by the bomb and live anyway? And did Carlos and Junpei seriously manage to shield Akane from a Gatling gun? I know we're just supposed to accept this at face value but it just seems a little silly.

Having said all that, I at least feel all the important questions were at least answered although I feel like they meant to do actual character endings and just ran out of money.
Phi and Delta (Zero) were born to Sigma and Diana in the Q team dies timeline where Phi was incinerated, and Akan was the only survivor of the control room monty hall decision. After they use the transporter to scan themselves and send them to the D team dies timeline, they sat around in the bunker for 11 months, did the horizontal tango, and sent the babies into the far past before they ran out of food.

Yeah, VLR old Sigma has an eyepatch and cybernetic arms as a result of his injuries.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Oh, of you mean how did they show up pre timeloop?

Predestination paradoxes are a bitch

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I think the only room that Q team gets locked into is the Biolab.

I think they aren't locked into the pod room or study, but don't want to leave until they finish searching iirc

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

voltcatfish posted:

there's something about swimsuit nendo akane that kinda took me out of the game every time i saw it

It's moe

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

voltcatfish posted:

Uchikoshi has a fetish for the japanese school swimsuit. That's about it. It comes up in VLR too but I don't think 999 :v:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

Mira is the only unredeemable badguy in the whole game and Eric is...well he's Eric.

Mira actually repents and confesses to all her crimes if you read the epilogue files that unlock after the true ending.

Then Sean smashes through a wall in prison so he can send her back in time to stop herself from ever killing

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tipme posted:

Was mira that robed person that killed D-team in that one fragment? When was this explained, how did I miss it.

Yeah. If you look at her hands it makes it more obvious (black nail polish)

Zero and Mira were co-conspirators, and Zero didn't drug her like he did with everyone else, and let her do mostly whatever she wanted to do.

I think the only thing he doesn't let her do is kill people, but in the D-Team ending where she kills everyone, Zero and Q team are dead so she has no repercussion. Unlike the time she killed Junpei and was strangled by Zero.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MegaZeroX posted:

Here is something interesting. In the logo, there is a 4 in the place for 6.

Delta is the 4th letter in the Greek alphabet, and 4 + 6 = 10, the number of participants.

that's, uh an upside roman numeral 6.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

Did it ever explain how Delta could find out who his parents were

He has a big computer for processing alternate histories.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Alternately he knew the date and location of his birth and figured out who exactly his parents were because of the genetics of the 8 DCOM people.

I mean Diana is kind of obvious because of Phi, and you have 4 men in the experiment, 2 of which are in relationships, 1 of then is a blonde American, and the last is a guy named Sigma who he mind hacked and saw his relationship to Diana

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You just don't understand, his motives are complex.

Although really, Akane has the same ability Delta does minus being able to directly manipulate people into doing actions against their will for a split second. She hacked into Junpei's mind in the future to solve a sudoku puzzle in 999 if you remember. Unless she does have the ability to mind control people too in which case welp, she's a more powerful esper than Delta is.

Akane is probably the most powerful esper in the series.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This still remains the biggest hole in Delta's plan to me though. Where exactly does he get the information that he was born in the shelter in 2029? He's in the 1900s by the time he's even capable of thinking, he can't SHIFT into alternate timelines to find out, and he can't Mind Hack anyone with that knowledge because it literally hasn't happened yet. Where does he learn about his birth?

As an alternate possibility, there were also 2 people who knew when he was born that he was exposed to that he could have mind hacked for information.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've read that Delta made clones of his dead adoptive brother Left. Is there a scene I'm forgetting/have missed in ZTD that says that or is it inferred from VLR?

Inferred in ZTD, stated in VLR.

VLR stated that Brother (Delta) started Free The Soul because his brother Left had been beaten up and murdered when he was 16. One of the things that he did with FTS was grow clones of Left. Dio from VLR is one such clone.

Delta mentions briefly in passing that he had a brother from his adoptive parents, but he doesn't speak much more of that in ZTD.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Txn posted:

There's one thing I don't understand.

In VLR, young Sigma shifted with old Sigma. At the end of the game, he shifted back with old Sigma to the time when Radical-6 got released. Since ZTD happens before the outbreak with the possible outcome of never happening, does that mean young Sigma is doomed to stay in the VLR history while old Sigma stays with Diana in the new history?

Old Sigma is basically Poor Marty in the ZTD branch, yeah

or theoretically, he'll still come back to the present and Old Sigma will return to the VLR timeline to close the loop. Old Sigma can go back to spending time with Phi and Luna, Young Sigma gets to deal with Diana and having a 104+ year old daughter

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 4, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Junpei also kindof mind controlled Akane at the end of 999. It's not that much of a stretch to say that the field can be used to control people (especially given the transmitter/receiver metaphor they keep mentioning) but there probably should've been other examples of it in the series.

I find the fact that team Q had an old man in a wheelchair following them around all the time to be a bigger issue but hey.

in 999 it was more telepathy and less mind control that was being tested

AlternateNu posted:

That's what is says, though. I'd like to know what machinations old Phi had to go through to convince her research facility/child protective services/etc. to allow her to raise baby Phi after she was already in triple digits.

Honestly, finishing this game has made me even more excited for Steins;Gate Zero. :woop:

"I'll raise her like if she was myself"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

I need a good ZTD image/quote for my new avatar.

we could just get you a picture of Akane and keep the same title

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Bahahaha. Don't know who gave me this version of red text, but I can't stop laughing.

:tipshat:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

So I just fnished the game. I didn't... miss a scene that established Delta was there the whole time, right? The first time I saw any mention of him being there was when I chose him in the Mexican standoff. Then I had to tell Eric who Zero actually was and that showed him for real.

There in retrospect, a whole lot of weird things that go on in Q-Team's cutscenes that don't quite make sense if you consider Sean as Q. They do however make perfect sense if Delta is Q.
-After Sean shoots Eric in the study, Mira gets mad and aims her gun. There's a gunshot, a thump as Delta hits the ground, then fires again and shoots Sean.
-When Eric kills everyone if you give the wrong answer before the reveal, there are 4 gunshots. One for Sean, one for Sigma, one for Diana, and one for Delta.
-In the Reality fragment, Q is announced as dead, as Sean lies supposedly dead on the floor and talking after Mira stabs Eric. Delta however had already been stabbed and is dead.
-In Zero's study, there is a Matroskya Doll as the symbol for Sean. The other 8 dolls on the board are shown on the Team Status screen. Q's however is never filled in, indicating its not Sean.

There are more subtle hints, but with that being said, there is in fact one cutscene before the big reveal that explicitly spoils Q's true identity, and it is done in such a sneaky, underhanded, yet logically consistent manner that you may completely miss it. If you go to the Team Status screen in the Twins ending, Q & Phi's status will in fact change from being "Dead" to "Alive" after Diana gives birth.

Momomo posted:

Overall I enjoyed the game but feel like stuff with Delta was pretty unnecessary. There's no reason to say Carlos/Sean/Diana chose bad decisions because someone was literally controlling them, we have an infinite number of worlds and surely they would have done it on their own in some of them. Delta could've just been some guy in Dcom that wasn't present until they started pointing fingers and it would've made more sense then everyone conveniently not mentioning him.

Eh. It helped their characterization, and the game has a running theme on parasites, possession, etc.

Momomo posted:

Also I'm annoyed that Akane was never called out on the poo poo she pulled a year ago. When Delta is talking about all the other timelines and how it was for his ultimate plan, he could've perfectly justified it by saying she did the exact same thing. In general she just seemed a little too oblivious to the stuff going on. Would she really expect to reason with someone calling themselves Zero after she played the same role?

The major difference is that Akane in the second Nonary game actually set it up so that it could be beaten without anyone dying. That it failed to happen...is more of an indictment on Ace/Nine/Captain guy then Akane or Zero.

Momomo posted:

edit: Also at one point Zero left a recording saying he was killed by Carlos in that timeline, but when did that happen?

That was the timeline in which Carlos and Diana both voted for Q-Team. Eric, Mira, Sean, and Delta were all executed by bomb collars in accordance with the vote.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I didn't notice those specific hints, but there was something more general that bothered me - it's clear from the "Payoff" end and the way Eric reacts at the start that nobody knows who the gently caress the little boy with the helmet is. So why do the people from the other teams act like they know who "Q" is in the rest of the game?

I assumed it was just a plothole though

C & D teams never immediately recognize Sean.
-Team D is shocked to see a small child on the other side of the decontamination room door, where Q team was positioned during the VLR ending.
-Team C doesn't recognize evil Sean when it attacks them for cheating, and Carlos makes a few revelations on how he's acting completely different after he shifts to the reveal timeline.

C & D Team recognize Delta, because he was in the DCOM experiment. He's mentioned in a few spots by the different team members.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 4, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

Also I don't recall an explanation for how Mira was able to kill D team in that one timeline (with her sheet still on for... some reason). Did her knockout drugs just conveniently wear off sooner or something?

Zero never drugged Mira, and kind of let her do whatever she wanted to some extent over the course of the game. The only time that he ever really took retaliatory action against her was when she killed Junpei in cold storage in one timeline.

He brought her in to be a piranha in the tank of fish, to allow for agitation and force the fish to...reproduce.

This is explicitly laid out during the reveal cutscene.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 4, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

He said he didn't give her the memory drugs, not that he didn't knock her out. Sure you can take that as an implication that he did neither, but absence of information is a huge thing in this game.

He exempted her from the usual drug injections. There's no additional qualification if it was just the memory drugs.

Mindblast posted:

:captainpop: oh poo poo.

Well the corpse has different clothes it... could still be fake? Yeah I'm reaching here.

Eh, most of that puzzle doesn't really rely on Junpei's body at all, so lets go with improvise. He could have reprogrammed the door to a different code and wrote a note about looking at Junpei's arm and hid the body parts in the room. Should be asked in the Q&A though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mindblast posted:

Iirc one of the arms gets thawed so the fist opens and is then used on a scanner. That goes a little beyond improvising.

Yeah, I forgot. The password unlocks the hand scanner and you use one of the arms. That's a bit iffier to explain as improvising.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure he explicitly says she wasn't given the memory drug, which means he didn't actually say she was never put to sleep. From the sound of it though it seems like we're supposed to ust assume she wasn't though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

voltcatfish posted:

Somebody posted the Steam pre-order story on reddit

I have the premium booklet if you want screenshots

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think "evil pharmaceutical company" is a really common trope in Japanese fiction, not just with Uchikoshi.

well they're a good way to create a biohazard

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NextTime000 posted:

another thing with the VLR ending; I think Junpei noticed that Q wasn't on the Death Display board right around the time that Akane deciphered the "Together, with me, we are ten" anagram.

oh yeah I don't think he even knew about Sean so I got no idea what was up with that then.

wasn't there some "leftover letters" to that; "LDAET" if the notes I took were correct, what's up with those

I guess this post was more about me wondering about some of that anyway. Carlos had the best "What the gently caress have I done" face during that end bit when akane was knocking out junpei though.

lets see in "LDAET" you have a "D", an "E", a "L", a "T", and finally an "A"

:iiam:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

can someone explain why Delta just randomly shows up in that one timeline, apropos of nothing

did i miss a set-up or does he just have really good dramatic timing

Delta is always there

just no one on Q team looked at the blind, deaf man in the wheelchair at all over the course of their cutscenes, except Eric in one cutscene where he talks to the old man while petting Gab.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
there's basically a long list of weird poo poo that goes on with Q team cutscenes that basically all makes sense in retrospect if there's a 4th person

but you're also conditioned that Q team cutscenes have a lot of weird poo poo given that its Eric and Mira doing most of the talking and they're both not sane

its also harder to pick up on since the game forces timeline jumps and breaks up pattern recognition

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

astr0man posted:

A lowercase q looks like a 9 :v:

The Q door was also the hidden 10th door in 999.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

i can't tell whether i like this being the twist i missed or me thinking he was just a showman

considering the # of times they framed the camera shots so he wasn't there, it was definitely a twist

though as I said, there's a lot of weird poo poo that goes on, but they also build it up as the game goes on, and it does actually tell you Q is Delta before you have to give an answer during a cutscene.

just in an obfuscated manner

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's Mira who is wearing the Free the Soul cloak for no particular reason. You can see her black nails whrn she's walking out the X door.

E: that reminds me, the X door is actually the 10 door

At the time she screwed with the power to plunge the ward into darkness, so I'd chalk it up to camo.

sean somehow living in the outside world despite going everywhere with a giant dome where his head should be

I blame anime and cosplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

flatluigi posted:

I wrote down all the X-Passes because I thought I'd need them at some point but oops I guess not

Here you go:

Most seem pretty self-explanatory, barring "Doll/Hate" for Junpei and "Milk" for Sigma. Also, fun fact: "Future" is too long to actually enter in the x-pass blanks in any ending!

I liked ZTD a lot and I wish there was more to it, as I've been really wanting to keep playing it since I finished it 100% but there's just... no more game. Hopefully there's another game!

Milk is what a cat likes and an anagram of Klim.

• Locked thread