Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also the fact that the entire "?" ending part of VLR basically never got re-addressed at all.

I know it's a nod to e17 with Blick Winkel and all that but I expected it to actually come up at some point here.

More specifically VLR's ending also claims that Kyle went back to Dcom separately from ?. It did seem possible for a while that Sean was hosting him somehow; that could potentially explain why Sean 729 seems to be conscious when none of the other Sean units are. Nothing was even confirmed, though.

There was also nothing specific about Akane's plan to get Clover and Alice back from the future. The Transporter seems like the most likely option for this, and it would be entirely in character for Akane to knock them both out, copy them to the past then kill the originals in their sleep. The 20th century researchers must be completely bemused at the array of random people that keep climbing out of their output pods.

The bottom line is that Uchikoshi made a lot of promises in interviews that "this question will be answered in the third game", and I guess there just wasn't enough room to hold them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Looking back on the series I don't actually have nearly as many unanswered questions as I thought. Aside from Kyle and Clover/Alice/All-Ice you've got "What happened to X after 999?", to which the answer is usually "helping Crash Keys", and "Why did Free the Soul do X?", to which the answer is usually "because Delta felt like it". I can't think of any others that bother me right now?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, I could never bring myself to care about Mira or Eric in the slightest. They basically made up a team that was two-thirds Dios; if it weren't for Sean I would probably have just blown all of Q team's heads off and ignored them for the rest of the game.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
My notes also have FUTURE as a password for post-incinerator Phi. Assuming that wasn't some kind of fever dream it's noteworthy because the console only accepts five letter passwords.

voltcatfish posted:

Thinking more about the ending I think the new characters blow

Carlos is alright after his shifting shenanigans but he's still pretty boring. Mira's boring, Eric's boring. Sean is OK.

I think Carlos' problem is that we never get a chance to get to know him like we did Junpei and Sigma. Partly because screen time is split up between three protagonists, partly because we don't get any of his internal monologue or narration. Because of that he's much less identifiable than they are.

Sean avoids that a little by speaking most of his internal monologue aloud.

Arrrthritis posted:

So if it turns out that Delta/Brother never really had a little brother, does that mean that Left is based off of Sean, and thus Dio is an extended clone of Sean?

Delta had an adopted brother in 1904, Left is based on him.

Don't ask me who Y is, though.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Delving into the realms of wild speculation and double posting:

Why did Delta make himself a part of the Nonary game?

The closest thing we're given to an explanation is a predestination paradox, the same reason Akane had to be part of the game in VLR, but that's not terribly satisfying.

As a possible alternative, let's think about why Nonary games exist: every Nonary game to date has been an attempt to awaken SHIFT abilities in the participants. We know that Delta can't SHIFT and that he's jealous of those who can; is it possible that one of his goals for this game was to awaken SHIFT abilities within himself? If so that explains why he would repeatedly put himself in mortal danger. Obviously he's not successful, of course.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
So has anyone tried playing the PC version on an ultrawide monitor? I wonder if the developers bothered to test whether you could see the wheelchair on different aspect ratios.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

As an aside, I have been collecting a list of all the hints to Q's actual identity on reddit, and I thought I'd post what I've collected so far here.

A few of these, like #13, are really hints that Zero is Delta rather than hints that Q is not Sean, which are two very different mysteries. Certainly when I got to "Who is Zero?" I knew full well that Zero was Delta, but I had no idea Delta was Q; in fact I was almost certain that Delta was Eric and that he had messed with his own memories to provide a cover story.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

I like that the twist with Dio is that he's exactly as lovely as you think he is

I think that worked well in VLR, but doing it again twice with Mira and Eric in ZTD just felt lazy.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Wait, that brings up a thought: what is Sean's in-universe reason for shooting Delta in the Mexican Standoff?

If one more person dies they can open the X door. It's not completely out of the question that Sean might decide to sacrifice the blind, deaf, mute, crippled and possibly vegetative old man to allow Mira and Eric to escape - especially if the alternative is for them to kill each other.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Baal posted:

Her voice acting was loving awful though

I've only heard a few snippets of the English dub, but even from them Akane sadly has the worst delivery by far.

All the other voices seem okay, though Sean sounds very girlish to me.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

dmboogie posted:

Stylistic choice, I guess? Like how Santa in 999 doesn't actually have white hair?

You mean he's actually a redhead?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
She claimed during the game that she's shortly-after-999 Akane, and that she only had messages and visions from her future self.

Of course she's a habitual liar.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Don't get all judgey.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

C7ty1 posted:

~?Delta. Seeing all the 'evidence'... I'm a bit more OK with it now, but man. Wish it hadn't been quite SO subtle. (altho it's fun watching people find more and more evidence)

I think I would have been a lot happier with it if we'd been shown that there was an unnamed old man at Dcom, but weirdly no-one seems to care that he's not in the shelter. Sure, such an old man would have been obviously suspicious, but most players would have ruled him out as zero for being too obvious - a bit like the role Akane's body had in VLR.

Terper posted:

I would have liked it if they had asked us to solve the anagrams instead

Oh dear god no.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

2. In the "do you inject yourself with radical 6" part there are only three syringes. If "Q" was there, there'd have to be some mention of there being one less than team members. If he was gone, why didn't that get mentioned in the dialog?

Only three people were injected with Fanatic Bio R because there were only three thumb scanners, so they only need three syringes.

quote:

e: where are these epilogues ya'll are talking about

In the FILE section of the in-game menu.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I enjoyed Never7. It's definitely the weakest of the series, but there's no reason not to try it if you can get it. I'd advise playing it but skipping ahead to Ever17 if you get bored. Playing them in the opposite order is possible, but Ever17 spoils one of Never7's main mysteries so it's not ideal.

There's also Root Double which technically isn't written by Uchikoshi but you seriously won't be able to tell the difference.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Gloomy Rube posted:

There is one true thing about all of Uchikoshi's games: There's always a motherly major character.

There's also always an evil pharmaceutical company. He really seems to have something against the industry.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Gloomy Rube posted:

I actually misunderstood Phi's talk about being raised by researchers and assumed she was raised by Diana and Sigma in the future, which lead to me getting the D force quit box solved incredibly early, so I was really confused by the picture with the babies in it that flashes by.

Where do you learn about the music box if you haven't done the twins ending?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

exploding mummy posted:

in 999 it was more telepathy and less mind control that was being tested

They specifically stated in 999 that mind control was the end goal of the original Nonary game. Specifically Ace wanted to use a group of projectors to influence and control the population at large.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

didn't ace just wanna see faces

Okay, point. But the rest of them wanted world domination.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

If old Phi from 1904 jumped into young Phi in 2074, would she speak with a German accent?

I don't think the game ever demonstrated whether it's possible to jump into your transporter clone or whether it's considered a different person, so she might not even be able to.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

So I just fnished the game. I didn't... miss a scene that established Delta was there the whole time, right? The first time I saw any mention of him being there was when I chose him in the Mexican standoff. Then I had to tell Eric who Zero actually was and that showed him for real.

There are lots of "obvious in retrospect" hints, but no, it's supposed to be a complete surprise.

I think the ones that could most reasonably make a player suspicious are the scenes where the other teams talk about Q-team's deaths, and specifically the way they talk about Q; if you pay attention the things they say about Q make no sense if Q is Sean. I've never heard anyone say that they picked up on those, though.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Voisk posted:

"Wait that's the movie about the kid trying to time travel bang his mom right?" That's the FIRST thing that comes to mind when that movie is mentioned?

Checks out, that's pretty much all most people know about the plot.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

Every ward being the same struck me as almost totally pointless and basically just a twist for its own sake.

It would have explained why the espers couldn't communicate with other teams, but since the game never mentioned that concept outside of one throwaway line from Junpei it's hard to call that relevant.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Also, wouldn't Phi only exist in the specific history where Sigma ends up conceiving her with Diana? In all the other timelines she would never have been sent back into the past in the first place and wouldn't exist. I would think it's like the situation with Akane in 999, but if that were the case Phi would also disappear once it became clear a timeline wasn't going to result in her being conceived and Phi wouldn't still be around in VLR.

I've always assumed that the "Akane fading because she hasn't closed the time loop" stuff in 999 was just lies, since it doesn't fit with any of the rest of the series' time travel logic. It seems far more likely that Akane just left the facility whenever the timeline became too divergent to use, and any "fading away" mythos was just because she's a big fan of that movie about M wanting to bang his mom.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
That overlooks his attitude to grenade launchers.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

For that matter, Sigma is in the same boat, though D Team's arc isn't really about that.

I'm sure Phi rightly blames Akane for VLR, not Sigma.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
VLR did a decent job of making it seem like the twist would be "Sigma is a robot/K is the real Sigma", so I think most people would be led up that garden path. It's been too long since I played it, though, so I no longer remember what I figured out when.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Some say that's the Uchikoshi curse. The good games don't have endings, and the games with endings aren't so good.

I guess 999 mostly got away with it?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Oh poo poo. I wonder which scenario he wrote for Linear Bounded Phenogram.

Apparently it was "Three Contrapasso about the Abduction".

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

orenronen posted:

The last page of this thread convinced me to finally charge my PSP's battery and put in that copy of 12Riven I've had on my shelf for years, never opened.

The first hour is already as Uchikoshi as gently caress.

Be sure to let this or the VN thread how it goes; I got the PC version in Infinity Plus back in the day and likewise never tried it. I remember everyone being very dismissive of it compared to the other games for some reason?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

flatluigi posted:

There's basically a zero percent chance of the infinity games ever getting rereleased, right?

In Japanese they seem to get rereleased every couple of years or so for different platforms.

In Engish only Ever17 was ever released and the rights are in an enormous mess, so it seems unlikely.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Danaru posted:

My favourite part of the ending leading to VLR is Carlos blowing his way in to rescue Junpei and Akane all heroically, followed by Akane going "WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST PREVENT ALL THIS INSTEAD OF WAITING TEN MONTHS"

Because Carlos' goal - however pointless - was to save that Akane and Junpei, and if he'd prevented the game he'd be in a different timeline that didn't contain them.

For all Akane's mystical power she sometimes has a surprisingly poor understanding of time travel.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

So for those of us who want to actually experience the Ever17 stuff is there just no way to do it outside of :filez:?

You sometimes see copies on ebay. Maybe $250 or so?

The japanese version is buyable as a download if you want to support the creators people who picked up the licensing rights in a fire sale.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

That room took me a lot longer since I didn't realize the second chapter of the book unlocked and spent a while trying all the cards on the table. Then I just figured out what 2 and 3 were and went from there.

I read chapter 1, and I didn't realise the symbols multiplied. Did you know that you can start from the assumption that the symbols add and still use the battle table to get a unique value for each card, then use those values to re-represent the five character number on the core with four cards and enter them, and they don't work?

Then I noticed the book had unlocked a second chapter at some point. The room was pretty trivial after that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. That wasn't just a goofy translation thing? I just figured they had another name in the Japanese version. :stare:

That would be the Myrmidons, who in the Japanese version were called CLAY DOLLS.

You know, like the pharmaceutical company.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

This is actually not the case. When I was confused about where to go next, I tried that scene again and picked blue and got it right, despite my first time being red.

I think if you go back to the choice it'll be the same, but if you go back to the scene before it'll change. Which makes a kind of sense, since the coin has already been flipped at the start of the choice scene.

I haven't rigorously tested this, though.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lareine posted:

What now?

If you don't mind ditching the gameplay and only keeping the Visual Novel aspects, there are a good number of other titles by the same author or his collaborators. Remember11, Ever17 and Root Double to name just a few.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lareine posted:

There wasn't an epilogue for Sigma, Diana and Phi! What happens to THEM? Do Sigma and Diana still get together? Do they start treating Phi as a daughter?

Of course they do. It's like how Carlos doesn't shoot Delta.

You don't really need ZTD spoiler tags in the ZTD spoiler thread, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Since it took Uchikoshi a year to write this game's story I really need to see what's on the cutting room floor

Probably quite a lot. This being the team's first fully animated 3D game they'll have substantially underestimated how much work and time it takes; I wouldn't be surprised if the original script was twice as long or more.

yellowyams posted:

I just don't see the point in creating a timeline with 75% casualties if he was already planning on making a timeline with 0% casualties.

My reading was that he doesn't actually believe in the 0% casualties timeline, not even in the true ending. The 75% casualties timeline is still his plan A, the true end is more of a curiosity which might work.

• Locked thread