Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Delta killing Gab as a final gently caress you in the self destruct time line made me laugh because of how cartoonishly evil it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's really weird how everyone just kind of glosses over the fact that Mira is an emotionless serial killer once they all get memories of the other timelines.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also the fact that the entire "?" ending part of VLR basically never got re-addressed at all.

I know it's a nod to e17 with Blick Winkel and all that but I expected it to actually come up at some point here.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I guess we just have to wait for the post mortum Q&A where he just kinda shrugs and goes "well I forgot about that, but I guess <X> is the reason"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Something I really disliked about this, even though I absolutely loved it, was Phi, Sigma, and Akane, were far too emotional. Phi and Sigma both came back from the future, and didn't get amnesiad about their shifter powers so it's just really weird to me that they get so worked up over some of the choices. But that wouldn't be terribly entertaining I suppose.

Akane going psycho in some paths just seemed odd considering all the poo poo she pulled.

Also the comment Delta made telling Akane to wear the Free The Soul robe and attend the meeting felt completely pointless, maybe it's to patch up something mentioned in VLR that I forgot, or literally just to show the existence of the robe that Mira used in that one timeline to kill D team.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

akane is wearing free the soul robes in the last scene of VLR (in the past) and that's it, that's all it explains.

Oh right. I remember that now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was under the assumption that SHIFTing was automatic, considering that when Sigma explains it he talks about how he would find himself in situations where he was about to die only to wake up somewhere else, not sure why or how it happened. But it also seems to be able to be directed?

Honestly the whole "and uh..if you're near SHIFTers you also shift!" stuff felt like Uchikoshi wrote himself into a corner with having Eric and Mira not be SHIFTers but didn't want to just leave them stuck there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was really weird for them to have a big moral quandary over loving over their coin flip selves in order to get the good ending, only for that to be the right choice and everyone be happy and ok with it after you do it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also I'm too busy to go back and start going through the scenes again with all the new info I got but, since Q was delta the whole time why was Sean the one hitting all the buttons and making all the decisions? I know that Delta was the one actually choosing all of the decision branches in all the scenarios, but it seemed to imply the only reason Mira and Eric let Sean do things like the execution vote was because he was the team leader, when he obviously isn't.

I'm probably just misinterpreting a piece of misleading dialogue I forgot about though or something.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I assumed Delta had to be present because he saw himself there in the histories, kinda like why Lotus was in 999. Also because his mind hack abilities probably have a range. Maybe. I dunno.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Was it me or were there way less pseudoscience lectures this time around? There wew a couple but they were pretty short and they also ended up rehashing a couple from the last two games. Little disappointing but I guess it'd look worse in cut scenes as opposed to vn style text blocks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

While I think it's clever that every single choice made in the game is actually made by Delta and not the player, I think it's kind of boring how they just stuck with SHIFTING from VLR as the primary supernatural power aspect.

Maybe it would have just been retarded or whatever but I was convinced when Carlos pulled his whole fake-rape crap that it was a "?" situation where some unknown figure had hijacked Carlos' consciousness and that, that'd end up playing into why people made the bad choices but claimed it wasn't them and all that. That whole thing felt so pointless since Delta is just like "yeah I knew you'd do that" immediately after Carlos explains what really happened there.

Also for some reason anytime they show Carlos with the axe after he killed Akane, in the video feed I swear he has like an evil crazed look on him. Which I don't recall him having at all in the scene proper.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Chris, gotcha. I got to the "input the helmet code" first and thought it would be some shocking reveal that it was his bros reanimated corpse or something

I was actually kind of annoyed at that scene since after you input it right you get the "Schrödinger's box" achievement and I was expecting for him to actually be someone and not a robot in this timeline, but no they just wanted to make a reference achievement even though that's not a Schrödinger's thing at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did anyone else find it weird that Diana has really unique looking eyes? I don't get it at all, I assumed Delta had anime villain eyes because of his powers or something but nothing really makes sense regarding Diana's.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

korrandark posted:

Ok, I think I finished the game. I really liked it. Two questions though.

1. Is there an actually decision for killing Delta or is it supposed to be ambiguous?

2. Are there aftermath files for Diana, Phi and Sigma? It seems weird that everyone else gets them but them.

1. Nope, Delta was the one making all of the decisions in the game via mind hacking, so you don't get one there because he promised he wouldn't use it on Carlos.

2. Nope! Probably will have to wait till the Q&A to learn what happens with them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

fadam posted:

Did Mira kill Akane's dad?
Why were Eric and Mira even there?

Akane's dad was executed in Jail for a crime he didn't commit.

Mira killed Eric's mom, however.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Personally I think the interpretation that "The player is actually Delta mindhacking everyone!" is dumb and wrong, if only for the fact that he's dead in a bunch of the timelines anyway.

It's way more likely in my opinion that the decisions and the transfer of information between characters is ?/Blick Winkel's unstated role in the game.

The game pretty much flat out states that's the case for some of it though. Hitting the button as Carlos, or Diana for example. Both of them swear they didn't do it, and it pretty much implies Delta was behind it.

Now that I actually think about it though, yeah I suppose saying that Delta did all of the decisions doesn't make sense.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Q&A will reveal that Kyle actually jumped back and helped them hack the D-com database to get them there in the first place, well. there you go.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

where was it stated that the person Mira killed was Eric's mom?

Also I still don't understand Sean's ability to shift. He's a robot?

Quantum computer antics.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mira being the one who killed Eric's mom becomes more explicit when both her and Eric said the same thing as they died, especially the smiling part since Eric constantly would yammer on about how his mom would say that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I actually liked Eric alot, if only because he represented an unstable person really well. I see people complaining that he goes from Nicest Guy You'll Ever Meet // Twisted loving Psychopath on a dime, but...That's kinda how actual people with severe mental instability act.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

okay so diana hosed a 70 year old man? i didn't really wanna say anything about it but

Pfft, he has the body of a 23 year old, it's cool.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I recently discovered the little prologue story in the artbook for the game and it makes me upset that Sigma doesn't act in game like he did in the story, having him be really paranoid about what triggers the radical 6 outbreak and stuff would have made him more interesting.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there any scenes besides the one where Gab is chained to Q's wheelchair that they even acknowledge the guy at all? I rewatched it and a big wall prevents you from ever seeing anything more than the shadow of the wheelchair, but aside from that I can't think of anything.

Delta's existence also makes the standoff in the library retarded. They knew Sean was not technically part of the team, considering he didn't have an X pass, why would Mira and Eric not both immediately just off the old man in the room to get out instead of shooting a literal child.

I think that's probably one of the biggest problems I have with Eric, I understand he's unstable but the fact that he constantly is accusing what looks like a 10 year old kid of all this poo poo was always really hard to accept. Especially regarding Mira, how the gently caress would a 3 foot tall kid strangle a full grown woman to death?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

"Dio will be in [ZTD], just not as the man we know"

Still want an explanation for this, Uchikoshi.

Unless at the Q/A he's just going to throw out "...Oh yeah, and Carlos is Left"

Honestly if he doesn't handwave it away or own up that he forgot, I wouldn't be surprised if he says that Sean is Left, since he seems like the one person that Delta cared about.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also I just want to point out that the Sigma strapped into a chair with a gun pointed at him scene was way lamer than I had hoped. The concept art for it was great.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am at how innocent and generic Akane was. Didn't her official bio in the pre-release stuff even talk about how its mostly an act and her true self is different? It didn't show at all here unless you count her going insane and killing Carlos in a couple scenes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The protagonist in VNs having no voice acting is very, very common, so I didn't think it was that weird, same with not showing their face in scenes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also I didn't expect the author to essentially recycle a twist from one of his previous works.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm hoping the port gives real fast forward or scene skip.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

In Japanese they seem to get rereleased every couple of years or so for different platforms.

In Engish only Ever17 was ever released and the rights are in an enormous mess, so it seems unlikely.

The English translation for e17 also had a couple glaring mistranslations, including one that actually fucks up an entire major twist. Those got fixed by fans though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Wait, was it ever made explicit Eric's dad killed his youngest son? I don't remember that part.

There's a flashback where you hear his dad beating (and I think drowning?) his younger brother while Eric screams for him to stop. I think you get that if you press the button on Q team.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Extra Tasty posted:

Is there any reason that Sigma's arms look like this in the VLR Beginning or End whatever-the-gently caress, when ABT and all of that clearly already exists in 2029 as evidenced by Sean's general existence? I always figured that the technology existed by the time 2074 rolls around, but it wasn't quite as advanced in 2029, but once I got to the Sean's a robot revelation, that was all I could think about. It could have just been for shock value in VLR and I'm way overthinking it though :shobon:

I just assumed that those were like temporary replacements.

The real answer was that they had to look all spooky and stuff for effect.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The popular trope of slapping someone when they're acting insane is completely foreign to me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ledgy posted:

I've finished this goddarn game and all I've got in my mind are those two things

Agreed.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The way he completely brushes it off was absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It can easily be patched up by saying that your perspective was the cameras the whole time, even if Delta was dead.

• Locked thread