Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh thank god we have a spoiler thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I started turning on that twist the moment the twins became a thing and it was patently obvious what was gonna happen. Then the game did the Q is actually Delta thing and it got really obnoxious to keep playing from that point on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

delta was present with the teams because otherwise eric, lunatic fucker extraordinaire, would immediately figure out that q = zero = delta and would have no reason to freak out and shove a shotgun in sean's face a bunch of times. there you go i explained it

Like he needed a loving reason the other 40 times he did it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are a lot of questions you can raise about Eric and Mira and the answer boils down to, "They are the most disappointing characters in the game."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Junpei and Akane getting married sucks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

Take solace in knowing that in most timelines she died by the hands of DIO

Dio is like Eric if he wasn't a mood swinging rear end in a top hat

jimmydalad posted:

As I said in the main thread, I do enjoy how Akane's solution for the problems they face alongside the general C-team philosophy is to SHIFT away from it while trying to kill themselves in the current timeline they're in. I think my favourite choice of life-threatening situation they subjected themselves to was when Akane set the reactor to blow up.

I actually really liked that scene. It sort of made me realize why I was gravitating towards Team C more than any other team as they were constantly throwing poo poo at a wall until something stuck enough to the point where they exploited it. I really liked Carlos a lot for that too, because he never really gave up and even in the face of Gatling guns kept trying to fight death. He's kinda generic, but I feel like he's perfect for that team.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Btw, is there a reason Delta was cool with shooting his dad in that one timeline and not his mom or what?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually liked this game more than VLR, despite my snipes at it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My favorite part of VLR is how it ruined one of my favorite characters from 999 and answered a question absolutely no one was asking about another.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Dio's a lovely character, the game doesn't answer half of the questions it gives, K is a schroedinger's cat that never really gets resolved, and the game tries to spook you into being surprised by Old Man Sigma when it's groan worthy as hell and Quark is really just there as a chain for Junpei.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That being said VLR has strong characters like Tenmyoji, K, and Luna are really strong characters, the good moments are super good, and the entire GOLLEM room was good as was Room q and the solution of tying Dio up and pressing ally until they all survived was an amazing conclusion to that whole thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Root Beer Float story was a big strong point too, yeah.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Delta as a whole really just presents a problem as a non-antagonist, which is all we've had for antagonists since 999 had it's big shithead villains who Akane wanted to murder out of a personal grudge. Unlike VLR and ZTD who have these grand scope stories where humanity dies and we need to do this grandiose game to prepare you for saving humanity/changing the future because we're not actually the bad guys but we kinda are because we still toyed with your lives and effectively hosed with hopes you had of having a decent life. Also we're shades of gray villains because no one in stories of moral complexity is allowed to just be an enormous shithead unless they act as obstacles to the group aka Dio and Eric.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Really they should've shoved the old man back into the shelter and locked him in it so he can die in a week because no one changed his bed pan and fed him his supplement.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Killing Delta as Sean in the Standoff is literally just a gag. The dude gets shot, bowls over to die, the group barely reacts to it, and then Delta's like "welp time for my tiresome Latin phrase of this timeline." It honestly feels like it's meant to be comedic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually liked Akane in this game at moments unlike 999 and VLR so good job Uchikoshi

Her voice acting was loving awful though

YOU KILLED JUNPEIIIII AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never said I outright liked her, but she's more of a character in this game than VLR where she's just a lovely grand scheming mastermind who even Junpei gets sick of dealing with. The moment in the Ambidex room where she's super confident about them being okay was actually a really great moment and her trying to be cute as both Junpei and Carlos completely sandbag her is great. She's alright in 999 alright too because you can see from how lovely her situation was and could feel for her a bit, but the scenario she set up was still incredibly lovely and put her in a not stellar light.

NRVNQSR posted:

I've only heard a few snippets of the English dub, but even from them Akane sadly has the worst delivery by far.

All the other voices seem okay, though Sean sounds very girlish to me.

I'd honestly say Junpei and Mira suck too because a little of their delivery is insanely stilted and bored sounding. Like I get Mira is supposed to be emotionless but she sounds bored half of the time even when she shows emotion and Junpei always sounds bored until he has to show bursts of emotion, which he actually sounds alright during.

Akane though, Christ. Whenever she has to be angry or emotional she just sounds awful. Even when she's normally talking a lot of the delivery is so stilted and flat. I really don't know how Sigma's so good sounding and yet there are such poor performances in here. Sigma gives out one of the most soul crushing cries after Phi burns in the incinerator, but Akane sounds like she just dropped her ice cream when she's lamenting Junpei's death.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I would say the monologue was actually pretty good. I actally do wanna say that uhh, Carlos and Sean's voices I liked a lot even if they're not like amazing acting. I feel like they hit the characters very well and give a unique voice to them too. I like how out of sorts Sean sounds for a lot of the game and even if some of the delivery on Carlos isn't amazing it's definitely a voice of strong character with some chinks in his armor personality.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually like that Carlos is just a genuinely good dude. We so rarely see someone who is just a good person it feels nice coming off of VLR where one of the characters was just a bad person.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loving died laughing that the route no one dies on the first character the villain thinks to kill is the dog everyone loves.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm p sure it was Chris

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

Weird, I thought those were burn marks, or maybe scraping.

It was Gab wiping his rear end on the ground

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is there some kind of running tally for each character's direct kill count by the end of the game? I mean Eric/Mira are probably on top, Phi/Sigma are relatively bloodless, and Team C kill each other every other jump.

I think in my mind the rough leaderboard is:

1. Mira
2. Eric
3. Carlos
4. Akane
5. Diana
6. Sean
7. Junpei
8. Sigma
9. Phi
10. Delta

Why is Delta above Sigma and Phi when he killed Mira in a history and Mind Hacked Eric to kill multiple people in another?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gabs motives are... complex.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Somehow I think if Carlos knew Akane was Zero he would still find something to like about her and shift back into the past when he was a babby Carlos and save her from the sudoku incinerator

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She was literally asking Sigma to kill her and saying no he was a piece of poo poo if he didn't do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm kind of glad we're getting ZTD Junpei voice back for the 999 port, because when that dude went crazy it was great and hearing him yell about a Funyarinpa is gonna be amazing.

• Locked thread