Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jintor
May 19, 2014

Wolpertinger posted:

wait phi is her own adoptive mom? I missed that part, that's amazing. The journey that stupid brooch must have taken - I wonder where it came from first, if it's going from young phi to diania to old phi to young phi to diana.

dang the phi from 1904 who stays behind after the transporter is used continues to be a researcher all the way up until 2004 and adopts herself when she arrives from 1904.

didn't realise that

the brooch doesn't appear to have any actual origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's really weird how everyone just kind of glosses over the fact that Mira is an emotionless serial killer once they all get memories of the other timelines.

yep

also her claim of emotionless is really weird. she just seems a) a bit number than most other characters and b) to be a sociopath. She still gets shocked, mad, wants to live etc. And touch hearts.

she's like sylar but with hearts

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Something I really disliked about this, even though I absolutely loved it, was Phi, Sigma, and Akane, were far too emotional. Phi and Sigma both came back from the future, and didn't get amnesiad about their shifter powers so it's just really weird to me that they get so worked up over some of the choices. But that wouldn't be terribly entertaining I suppose.

Akane going psycho in some paths just seemed odd considering all the poo poo she pulled.

Also the comment Delta made telling Akane to wear the Free The Soul robe and attend the meeting felt completely pointless, maybe it's to patch up something mentioned in VLR that I forgot, or literally just to show the existence of the robe that Mira used in that one timeline to kill D team.

I think Akane going psycho was basically to show how attached she was to Junpei even though she's a conniving mastermind also. Like the AB game ending where she brains Carlos, I thought that was amazing, and totally made me think about how much she must've thought about Junpei all those years if that was the reaction she was immediately going to flip to.

Do you have to have somewhere in mind to SHIFT to to use those powers? Cos I think part of the reason for the amnesia drugs was to cut down on the alternate histories they could jump to.

I really liked that SHIFTing had a visual effect added this time, but it kinda looked like a persona power. lmao

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was under the assumption that SHIFTing was automatic, considering that when Sigma explains it he talks about how he would find himself in situations where he was about to die only to wake up somewhere else, not sure why or how it happened. But it also seems to be able to be directed?

Honestly the whole "and uh..if you're near SHIFTers you also shift!" stuff felt like Uchikoshi wrote himself into a corner with having Eric and Mira not be SHIFTers but didn't want to just leave them stuck there.

i dunno why because gently caress both eric and mira

i get that eric had a loving shithouse life (because of mira, haha) but seriously that guy had a shotgun in my face for like 60% of the game

/edit actually you did remind me that if C team gets executed both Sigma tells Phi to get ready to jump before their heads explode and Di's just like wut

Jintor fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 1, 2016

Jintor
May 19, 2014

now that i think about it uchikoshi was asking about the ancient aliens guy on twitter like two or three weeks ago

Jintor
May 19, 2014

man i wonder what old phi thought about her brother

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I think Sean is there so Delta can fulfil his promise to the kid in the hospital, after a fashion. He also has some side objective involving quantum computing that I think is probably related to player metanarrative

what the participants think doesn't matter, it's Zero's game

Jintor
May 19, 2014

except that one timeline where he strangled her for no apparent reason

Jintor
May 19, 2014

hey listen give grandpa delta a break

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Terper posted:

Actually I sorta expected the finale to this game would be (spoilers for Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective) one where everything was built up to someone SHIFTing back into the past and stomping that piece of poo poo snail.

I was 100% certain this game was going to involve cancelling out all the nonary games

well, hopeful

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

So did Sigma travel back in time to bang the crush that his robot daughter is based on or am I missing something?

he didn't do it to do it, but he ended up doing it, which is to say, he ended up doing her.

what can i say, sigma's a weird dude. i gave up on thinking about his consciousness as 60-whatever by the end anyway

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, the romance between Sigma and Diana is pretty awkward. Doesn't help that it starts with Sigma talking about domestic abuse, and then Diana come on Sigma due to stress of being trapped in a bomb shelter. Alongside Eric's and Mira's relationship and uh :stare:

eh, it was fine. I was pretty surprised at how quickly it moved from sigma letting down his barriers to 'yes let's bone on this alien pod' (i was very, very surprised there was a straight up sex scene however tasteful in a ze game) though. Also, I don't think it was like Di wasn't attracted to Sigma before.

the funniest thing about carlos going nuts in the killbox line was that i was just as confused as akane and junpei. Also it was entirely pointless.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Terper posted:

I had Diana and Sigma enter the VIP shower a couple of times.

It was cute. Weird, but cute.

i was disappointed there was no escalating series of wet jokes

Also disappointed to realise I left my copy of VLR in another country and it wasn't installed on my Vita like I thought it was. I wanted to check the post-game again quickly

Jintor
May 19, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

That's what is says, though. I'd like to know what machinations old Phi had to go through to convince her research facility/child protective services/etc. to allow her to raise baby Phi after she was already in triple digits.

Completely random, but finishing this game has made me even more excited for Steins;Gate Zero. :woop: I love me some time fuckery drama.

Given that that Old!Phi would've been a German-raised Dark Project Researcher who was probably brought back with the Allies after the War and was still active on the project in 2004, she was probably a secret black ops administrator by that point and could do whatever the gently caress she wanted

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Doesn't every Q&A thing he does have a disclaimer which is like "Stuff is subject to change"

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also I just want to point out that the Sigma strapped into a chair with a gun pointed at him scene was way lamer than I had hoped. The concept art for it was great.

they kind of ruined it for me by making it the press demo

the actual scene I thought was tense as balls, but the concept art was so much cooler than even that

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Linguica posted:

Seems like it would have made a lot more sense to release PC ports of 999 and VLR at the same time, if not before, you released the third game in the series, but :shrug:

probably wanted to simul-launch ZTD on all platforms given that it was probably developed ground-up for PC. Their PC resources are also probably not high tier.

I dunno whose bright idea it was to launch in the middle of a Steam sale though. I didn't even see a 'now available' message.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

So did Junpei infiltrate the Mars mission solely to propose to Akane after not seeing her for a year

Jintor
May 19, 2014

So is Phi and Delta's existance analogous to the brooch since their point of origin is within the time loop that ensures their own creation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I'm of the opinion they did it solely because Uchikoshi wanted to experiment with camera angles and ways to direct shots etc, perhaps ultimately to direct that short film that was D-END-2

• Locked thread