Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
Back in 95 we were walking around Eugene at probably 1am, and came across this guy standing outside a bar wearing a cape. We asked why was he wearing a cape, was he playing dungeons and dragons? He said it was cloak not a cape, and secretly everyone wanted to wear one. That we all wear uniforms, something about McDonalds, and then he started rambling about being kidnapped and burned with cigarettes. He said he was the singer for some band called The Dark, and maybe they played that night, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was one kid in high school that wore a regular rain coat, but would treat it as one of those tvtropes columbine coats. He also worse slippers to school once.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
We also had a loosely affiliated group of students who all owned and sometimes wore these puffy green coats with german flags on them they got from the surplus store maybe?

I bought all my pants at the gun store and my shoes at a skate shop, cuz they had my sizes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
These people become the absolute best friends later though, because they almost all mellow out and become pretty normal but they retain a strong streak of groundedness from knowing they were mega dorks as kids.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

There was a girl named Tani or something at my school and she hit the checklist of all these crazy things. Biter, check. Exclusive wardrobe of military jackets and unicorn/anime shirts, check. Smelled like feces, check. Self proclaimed Wiccan, check. She also made these claims that she was a 2,000 year old vampire, also a werewolf, she was an ex-CIA assassin, ran over her boyfriend with a monster truck, ect.

There was another girl older than me who had some sort of weapons grade autism, wore a cloak and would yell Harry Potter spells at you. Because I was an rear end in a top hat Teenager I got an advance copy of the 6th (?) book where Dumbledore dies from my girlfriend who worked at the library, speed-read it to find spoilers, then went to our local Wal-Mart at midnight (only place that had a midnight release for the book) and read the spoilers out to the dozen kids waiting to buy it. The crazy girl broke her wand on me and then tried to bite my calves.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Gatekeeper posted:

hahaha yeah we had some goofball who started out with dracula stuff, then it got more & more elaborate, a pilgrim (like the mayflower kind) and a sumo wrestler with a fat suit and a super realistic jesus with a crown of thorns and ancienty looking sandals he made from like, wood and leather strappy bits, the dean kept tryin to make him knock it off, sending him home and threatening him, finally she tred to make him sign a contract that he wouldn't wear costumes or else he'd be expelled and his parents actually hired a lawyer who sent some kind of nonsense legal threat that the school would be sued if they tried to violate his rights because apparently this was not only free speech but also freedom of religion because he had decided he was some nonsense fake religion that encouraged dressing up like a fuckin pilgrim and his parents happily supported his self exploration and the dean decided it was too much of a headache and he triumphantly came into school the next day dressed up as a cartoon satan with lil horns spirit gummed to his head and a pointy tail and a pitchfork with a doll head skewered on it that was supposed to be the dean, pretty ballsy imho

I was friends with a pair of the "bad kids" that are well known in small towns. They were named Clete and Chase, and Clete was 2 years older than me. Every year we had "Spirit Week" where classes have competitions and on the last day every class has a color and whoever has the most/best costumes wins. We had a big assembly before school ended for the day, so all 500 of the students were in the gym and the principal was giving some speech on whatever. Clete's class was the color purple and halfway through the speech Clete burst into the auditorium wearing a full on KKK robe and had that was purple. He was carrying some fake torch and started screaming "Purple Power! Purple Power!" before getting dragged off by the school cop.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
i wore my dad's army jacket sometimes but it was because it was water repellent and lightweight and warm - also because i was a loser?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I rem,ember in high school there was this one nerd who wore a belt to keep his pants from falling down! What a dipshit!!!

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
don't u know ur supposed to let ur pants fall down off ur butt and constantly keep pullin g them up, SMART GUY??!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Because I was an rear end in a top hat Teenager I got an advance copy of the 6th (?) book where Dumbledore dies from my girlfriend who worked at the library, speed-read it to find spoilers, then went to our local Wal-Mart at midnight (only place that had a midnight release for the book) and read the spoilers out to the dozen kids waiting to buy it. The crazy girl broke her wand on me and then tried to bite my calves.

My cousin was gonna do this at the book store when the final book came out, but he couldn't do it because, "I'd feel bad ruining these people's lives."

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Farts posted:

We go to the local convenience store on LARP weekends when we're out of junk food in full costume.
Making direct eye contact with the people who stare at you is mildly satisfying.
Full elf ear prosthetic, cloak, tunic, belt pouches and a scabbard with a latex/foam sword.

I wouid bet real money I can beat you in a foam sword fight.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
There was a whole group of "kids" who kept getting in trouble for playing Buffy in the local cemetery at night with stakes they had made by carving down water weenies.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

what in the hell is a water weeny?

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

kazr posted:

That kid with the floaties who makes it all the way to the top of the high dive or big waterslide and then starts crying and everyone has to move to the side while he climbs back down in shame?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In school I was super weird because I didn't wear jeans ever. It was all Dickies and one pair or lovely cargo pants.

I don't I owned any denim until I was 20.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

kazr posted:

Those long foam tubes you play with in the pool.

Edit: after googling, apparently they aren't called water weenies like I always thought. I'm talking about these things:

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 6, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Those are pool noodles, water weenies are the weird water sock things guys think look like a vagina

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

those are pool noodles

i have never, ever heard them called water weenies

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Maybe it was an Indiana thing? Everyone called those water weenies when I was a kid.

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 6, 2016

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

thank you for this gift i will always call them water weenies now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
this is a water weenie

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Oh I tried to gently caress one of those once. It had little dinosaurs in it and it didn't work. It was just like rolling and unrolling a condom on your donger.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Is sportcoat/t-shirt/jeans a weirdo outfit? Because that was me.

high school through... my second year of college? good god.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The backwards hat makes it worse, but I give you points for not getting to pull off loafers with it.

Plus that was such a quintessential 90's look that you can be forgiven.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
One time I wore socks with sandals.

We had a few kids with dusters or trench coats then columbine happened and they said it was gang clothing. There was like a line up of those kids at my countys mental health office. Seems the school reacted by taking everyone the feared would shoot the place up and make them get therapy.

Yes I was one of them. No I wasnt gonna shoot up the school. No I didnt have a trench coat. yes wanted a fedora but I wasnt able to find one.

Later in college I wore a bunch of animal shirts I got a natural wonders where I worked. I latter was known as "that napoleon dynamite guy" and "creepy uncle max"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

criscodisco posted:

The backwards hat makes it worse, but I give you points for not getting to pull off loafers with it.

Plus that was such a quintessential 90's look that you can be forgiven.

that was in 2008 or so

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Then I take back everything I said.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Ah, the "libertarian-leaning social sciences teacher" look

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm gonna be completely honest here and admit that if it were socially acceptable I'd wear them in the winter. I imagine they're really good against rain or sleet and I wouldn't have to worry about wet pants when I didn't wear a coat.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's not the cloaks that are ugly it's the people that wear them. And the fact that no one normal ever does. If they suddenly became fashionable there'd probably be no problem.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I was friends with a pair of the "bad kids" that are well known in small towns. They were named Clete and Chase, and Clete was 2 years older than me. Every year we had "Spirit Week" where classes have competitions and on the last day every class has a color and whoever has the most/best costumes wins. We had a big assembly before school ended for the day, so all 500 of the students were in the gym and the principal was giving some speech on whatever. Clete's class was the color purple and halfway through the speech Clete burst into the auditorium wearing a full on KKK robe and had that was purple. He was carrying some fake torch and started screaming "Purple Power! Purple Power!" before getting dragged off by the school cop.

I will never get used to the idea of a school cop. Is it always the same guy? Because they must get the most too old for this poo poo look after a while :allears:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Strategic Tea posted:

I will never get used to the idea of a school cop. Is it always the same guy? Because they must get the most too old for this poo poo look after a while :allears:

did you never see the documentary 'Kindergarten Cop'?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yeah school cops are a weird idea. We just had a shop teacher who wasn't afraid to gently caress a kid up.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
we had a kid who brought a leather briefcase to school every day. carried it everywhere. people gave him so much poo poo about it. really smart too. we later found out he killed himself by shooting himself in the head with a gun.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

criscodisco posted:

Maybe it was an Indiana thing? Everyone called those water weenies when I was a kid.

From Indiana, never heard "water weenie" at all. Always "pool noodle." Northern, central, and southern Indiana might as well be three different states, though.

Son of Rodney posted:

I'm gonna be completely honest here and admit that if it were socially acceptable I'd wear them in the winter. I imagine they're really good against rain or sleet and I wouldn't have to worry about wet pants when I didn't wear a coat.

This would only happen if cloaks were a regular thing, made for wear by tailors/manufacturers who are taking things like "sometimes the ground is wet." I paid nearly 200 bucks for my cloak, and the first time it rained, I had a similar thought.

It soaked up like 20 pounds of water and I had to ask if I could stuff it in a friend's dryer, lmao

Cops in school weren't a thing in elementary school, aside from DARE talks and such. I don't remember there being any in seventh grade, either. Columbine happened towards the end of seventh, there were forever cops after that.

Cops and whatever teachers were supervising kids flowing in/out for the day had walky-talkies. I was walking in from the parking lot one day and heard "be advised, Longhair McWiccerson (dude) is wearing a uhhhhh. A leather bra."

Longhair McWiccerson was (still is) a friend, so I went and found hi. It was a very 90's leather crop top over his standard A Perfect Circle shirt. I was disappointed, school was intensely boring. They made him take it off.

Fun fact; all the goth and punk kids shopped at Hot Topic, which only carried maybe two dozen styles of pants per gender at once, and maybe four styles of fancy dresses. There was much drama over people buying the same items and wearing them, aside from t-shirts for some reason. I bought a purple and black brocade or jacquard patterned corset top and matching fishtail skirt, the kind that you lace up around your rear end.

I expected crap from the school, because it was distracting but technically within rules. Instead some random chick I didn't know got in my face and told me it was her prom dress and if I wore it to prom, she'd beat my rear end. Crazy people. It was a crap prom dress.

client
Aug 19, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

autism tom brady looking good

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
tbh if I went back and had to do HS again I'd probably just wear a bathrobe every day because gently caress it

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When I was in college there was an emo girl that wore a tutu to class once.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you went to school with a cloak girl and didn't bang the poo poo out of her you are an idiot. 100% of cloak girls are dynamite in the sack.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

just ray posted:

we had a kid who brought a leather briefcase to school every day. carried it everywhere. people gave him so much poo poo about it. really smart too. we later found out he killed himself by shooting himself in the head with a gun.

My brother took a briefcase to school in the 5th grade and the teacher and principal flipped the gently caress out for some reason. I have no idea why, it's not like there are things you can put in a briefcase that you can't in a backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

The_Franz posted:

My brother took a briefcase to school in the 5th grade and the teacher and principal flipped the gently caress out for some reason. I have no idea why, it's not like there are things you can put in a briefcase that you can't in a backpack.

Briefcases have been considered a weapon since the late 80's/early 90's because of this man:

• Locked thread