Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite LAW & ORDER
LAW & ORDER
LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT
LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT
LAW & ORDER: TRIAL BY JURY
LAW & ORDER: LOS ANGELES
LAW & ORDER: UNITED KINGDOM
View Results

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fits my needs posted:

Yeah it's kind of interesting watching it now that I'm older and realizing that people cheer this kind of poo poo on and there are people who love poo poo like this and Blue Bloods lol.

ehh. I am weird. I hate blue bloods for all those reasons, but i love SVU because 1. its so lovely its great and 2. child fuckers and run of the mill rapists almost always die or a treated with distaste or disgust instead of the "hurr child molesters are victims too" poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't there one with snoop Dogg and his lawyer just pointed out that this department fucks up everything so let snoop walk?

BowreeBookstore
Oct 29, 2015
Dick Wolf is the Goebbels of the American Police State. There are few people who are more deserving of utter hatred. While drug warriors where kicking down dirty pot-dealer doors and prosecutors where cheerfully enslaving drug dealer girlfriends you could turn any on tv and see Jerry Orbach and Sam loving Waterston as thoughtful goodhearted people doing right by the system. First in the original protecting us from KILLERS, and then finally when the squeamishness of TV subsided, RAPISTS AND PEDOPHILES. In reality that system it promoted with such pathetic hollywood earnestness was primarily built off of enslaved drug dealers. In reality the prosecutors where lying, uncountable careerist thugs who had no interest in the truth and every interest in racking up their score. In reality the police are viciously racist, lying bullies. Yet for decades people tuned in to cheer these heroes on. It's disgusting.

BowreeBookstore fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 2, 2016

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BowreeBookstore posted:

Dick Wolf is the Goebbels of the American Police State. There are few people who are more deserving of utter hatred. While drug warriors where kicking down dirty pot-dealer doors and prosecutors where cheerfully enslaving drug dealer girlfriends you could turn any on tv and see Jerry Orbach and Sam loving Waterston as thoughtful goodhearted people doing right by the system. First in the original protecting us from KILLERS, and then finally when they squeamishness of TV subsided, RAPISTS AND PEDOPHILES. In reality that system it promoted with such pathetic hollywood earnestness was primarily built off of enslaved drug dealers. In reality the prosecutors where lying, uncountable careerist thugs who had no interest in the truth and every interest in racking up their score. In reality the police are viciously racist, lying bullies. Yet for decades people tuned in to cheer these heroes on. It's disgusting.

Every time a cop is murdered a minority wins a scholarship.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BowreeBookstore posted:

Dick Wolf is the Goebbels of the American Police State. There are few people who are more deserving of utter hatred. While drug warriors where kicking down dirty pot-dealer doors and prosecutors where cheerfully enslaving drug dealer girlfriends you could turn any on tv and see Jerry Orbach and Sam loving Waterston as thoughtful goodhearted people doing right by the system. First in the original protecting us from KILLERS, and then finally when the squeamishness of TV subsided, RAPISTS AND PEDOPHILES. In reality that system it promoted with such pathetic hollywood earnestness was primarily built off of enslaved drug dealers. In reality the prosecutors where lying, uncountable careerist thugs who had no interest in the truth and every interest in racking up their score. In reality the police are viciously racist, lying bullies. Yet for decades people tuned in to cheer these heroes on. It's disgusting.

Surprised this kind of post didnt happen earlier.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

tactlessbastard posted:

Ben Stone was better than McCoy. Fight me.

i'm in line for this fight. i will kill you for your bad and wrong opinion

client
Aug 19, 2010

BowreeBookstore posted:

sorry about the brain AIDS

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

BowreeBookstore posted:

i wouldn't say the show is critical of police but the message i got from it was don't trust the police

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Ben Stone is an acquired taste.

Rollins is a poo poo detective and I hate how SVU has turned into this show where all the detectives have personal issues and the crime is almost secondary. I don't care that you're a fuckin drunk Rollins and I don't care that your Atlanta CO is/was a dick, work the loving case or resign you're a terrible detective gently caress you.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Ice t's gay son

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

may just be the greatest moment of television ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nzC7yeUSIc

and yes, its a gibbon, not a monkey, etc etc

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
SVU should have kept ADA Kim Greylek

:swoon:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Gaunab posted:

i wouldn't say the show is critical of police but the message i got from it was don't trust the police

The message of Law and Order is that every crime is the most outlandish crime you've ever heard of and there's no such thing as a simple case without at least one twist. The only way you see murders due to gang violence/domestic assault/self-defense/vehicular manslaughter/(any other normal reason people are murdered) is when at least one party turns out to be involved in the Russian mob or is the dad from 10 Things I Hate About You.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

i'm in line for this fight. i will kill you for your bad and wrong opinion

It's OK to be a little wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Naerasa posted:

The message of Law and Order is that every crime is the most outlandish crime you've ever heard of and there's no such thing as a simple case without at least one twist. The only way you see murders due to gang violence/domestic assault/self-defense/vehicular manslaughter/(any other normal reason people are murdered) is when at least one party turns out to be involved in the Russian mob or is the dad from 10 Things I Hate About You.

pretty much. my favorite was the GTA one. where the teens were reenacting rapes/murders from the game and then even more bullshit happend.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Best episode was where kids were selling magic the gathering cards dipped in lsd

Or when stabler was in fear and loathing as a homosexual

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Naerasa posted:

Oh man, you reminded of one of the more infuriating episodes: it was another "ripped from the headlines" episode where a woman hits a homeless man with her car, embedding him in the windshield and drove home with him without stopping, reporting it to the cops, going to the hospital, or rendering him medical aid. In the episode, she's exonerated because it turns out that the homeless man got into a fight with another homeless man, who hit him in the head that he had a subdural hematoma and was in the process of dying when she hit him. The next half of the episode is the cops going through this homeless man's history, finding the homeless assailant and arresting him.

In real life, bitch got 50 years for murder (largely because she was a nurse and could have rendered aid) and another 10 years for tampering with evidence, because she called her friends up and tried to set the car on fire with the guy still in the windshield.

Nonviolent J posted:

Or when stabler went to prison and became a homosexual

FTFY

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 3, 2016

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I like that both vanilla and svu had micael jackson episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Naerasa posted:

Well, those kind of straightforward crimes don't exactly make riveting television.

Nostrum posted:

may just be the greatest moment of television ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nzC7yeUSIc

and yes, its a gibbon, not a monkey, etc etc

That episode is pretty much the prime example of how terrible the cops are on SVU. Big Boi plays a rapper with a nasty rep but partway through he reveals that it's all juts made up and he's a middle class guy. The cops force him vouch for Stabler undercover investigation and he gets horribly murdered by the real bad guys. The cops' reaction? They joke about it. Also at the end of the episode Benson has the black guy from Square One hanging from a rooftop and is about to let him die until he reveals that he is actually an undercover cop, only then does she save him.

Gaunab posted:

I like that both vanilla and svu had micael jackson episodes.

One of the SVU Michael Jackson episodes was weird because it looks like their MJ is a child molester but they can't prove it. Then it turns out that the grandmother of a sick girl who was claiming to be molested was actually abusing the girl by making her sick by poisoning her.

BowreeBookstore
Oct 29, 2015

BowreeBookstore fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 8, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The original Law & Order was the best because whenever the cops overstepped their bounds and did something shady it would blow up in their faces and they'd screw up the case. They were more willing to call them out on stuff because that version actually had parity where the lawyer stuff was just as important, unlike SVU or CI where the DAs barely did anything.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

In one episode of SVU, the ME finds traces of semen in a decapitated female soldier's throat, and Ice-T comments:

Detective Odafin Tutuola posted:

Guy didn't even let her gargle...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Oh man, you reminded of one of the more infuriating episodes: it was another "ripped from the headlines" episode where a woman hits a homeless man with her car, embedding him in the windshield and drove home with him without stopping, reporting it to the cops, going to the hospital, or rendering him medical aid. In the episode, she's exonerated because it turns out that the homeless man got into a fight with another homeless man, who hit him in the head that he had a subdural hematoma and was in the process of dying when she hit him. The next half of the episode is the cops going through this homeless man's history, finding the homeless assailant and arresting him.

In real life, bitch got 50 years for murder (largely because she was a nurse and could have rendered aid) and another 10 years for tampering with evidence, because she called her friends up and tried to set the car on fire with the guy still in the windshield.

the one i remember was their was hosed up kid who it turned out was probably being diddled by some rich young toy magnet who threw kids parties at his house, but because the dude paid off the family nothing was doesn't want lose their money. anyway the detectives find some kid with leukimea whos grandma/aunt said she was being raped by him, turns out girl never had leukimia, the grandma was poisining her with because muchahousan by proxy. then pedo got off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nostrum posted:

In one episode of SVU, the ME finds traces of semen in a decapitated female soldier's throat, and Ice-T comments:

holy poo poo.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I remember an episode where a guy didn't even commit any crime what so ever but the cops still persuaded the DA to press charges. So when it got to the trial the jury was all "Um...no crime was actually committed so not guilty." so one of the cops followed the guy and beat him to death in front of a bunch of small children and some how he's the good guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Volume posted:

I remember an episode where a guy didn't even commit any crime what so ever but the cops still persuaded the DA to press charges. So when it got to the trial the jury was all "Um...no crime was actually committed so not guilty." so one of the cops followed the guy and beat him to death in front of a bunch of small children and some how he's the good guy.

There was a crazy episode with Robert Patrick as a rapist who gets out of prison and they're pretty sure he's guilty of raping some girl so Stabler goes undercover as a rapist. Then he proceeds to bully Robert Patrick's character into committing another rape by giving him a rape van and picking out a target for him. Then he's all superior when Robert Patrick breaks down and kidnaps a girl to rape her.

Also I just remember how in the original L&O Michael Jackson episode there's a whole thing where it turns out some parents whored their kid out to the MJ figure because they had another kid who needed an operation.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

There are at least 20 times when the SVU detectives, who constantly talk about "victim blaming", "rape culture", "no one deserves to be raped", etc, tell an alleged 'perp' (who 90% of the time didn't do anything) that "Bubba is gonna love you in prison!"

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Also at least 10 people have been murdered (mostly being shot) in the SVU department HQ.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nostrum posted:

There are at least 20 times when the SVU detectives, who constantly talk about "victim blaming", "rape culture", "no one deserves to be raped", etc, tell an alleged 'perp' (who 90% of the time didn't do anything) that "Bubba is gonna love you in prison!"

There was an episode where a guy who Benson had sent to prison got out and started getting revenge on her because she had made those jokes and then he got raped so he thought she arranged it. Needless to say, this did not stop them from making rape jokes in the future.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nostrum posted:

Ehh, I know prison rape isnt as common as people say. but i dont mind if pedo/rapistis/child killers get hosed to death in prison.

muscles like this? posted:

There was a crazy episode with Robert Patrick as a rapist who gets out of prison and they're pretty sure he's guilty of raping some girl so Stabler goes undercover as a rapist. Then he proceeds to bully Robert Patrick's character into committing another rape by giving him a rape van and picking out a target for him. Then he's all superior when Robert Patrick breaks down and kidnaps a girl to rape her.

is that the sex addiction center one? where the one orderly who works there is killing all the "evil whores"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is that the sex addiction center one? where the one orderly who works there is killing all the "evil whores"

No, UnStabler picks up that this dude got released from prison and knows he's going to rape again, it's just a matter of when, so he basically enables him.

Honestly, that episode would have been great if Robert Patrick, instead of going through with a kidnapping, ended up calling the cops on UnStabler.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

muscles like this? posted:

Also I just remember how in the original L&O Michael Jackson episode there's a whole thing where it turns out some parents whored their kid out to the MJ figure because they had another kid who needed an operation.

There's a vanilla episode where a rapist gets out of jail on parole (played by the dude who was Paulie in the Rocky movies). The cops and DA are pissed about it, so they go scorched Earth on him using Megan's Law. They put up signs all over the neighborhood telling everyone he's a rapist. They toss his place for no reason. They basically do every lovely thing they can legally get away with just to make his life hell. He snaps and tries to rape someone but the victim ended up killing him!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

: this will always be the best SVU moment

(And if we're doing ADA rankings: Kincaid, the redhead from SVU, Rubirosa, Ross, Freema Agyeman from the UK show, then everybody else is just interchangeable.)

Sagan
Jan 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
E: wrong show

Sponge Baathist fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 3, 2016

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

Troy Queef posted:

: this will always be the best SVU moment

(And if we're doing ADA rankings: Kincaid, the redhead from SVU, Rubirosa, Ross, Freema Agyeman from the UK show, then everybody else is just interchangeable.)

What episode is that? I don't even like monkeys and that's still adorable

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Sometimes Liartown is the best thing on the internet. even if it is a tumblr.

And these Ice-T SVU street knowledge screencaps he did are really loving important:

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/post/122105895015/ice-t-law-order-svu-part-i

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/post/122119986945/ice-t-law-order-svu-part-ii

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/post/123830445900/ice-t-law-order-svu-part-iii

(I could have imgured and dumped the dozen pics but that would have been obnoxious. Seriously though, click 'em.)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

What episode is that? I don't even like monkeys and that's still adorable

The one where they get Big Boi killed by hyenas and end up taking on an exotic animal smuggling ring.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's an old episode about AIDS and the stuff in it has become so inaccurate that they put a disclaimer at the end. They don't prosecute the guy because at the end of the episode he reveals he was just diagnosed so Stone is all "whelp he's gonna die soon anyway, no point in taking him to court."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

E: hahaha he did monkey basketball too

• Locked thread