Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I trust a computer created by Elon Musk with the my life and those of my children
This poll is closed.
Yes 24 39.34%
Christ, no 37 60.66%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
So we already know about the first Tesla enthusiast to have his life taken because he put his trust in his Silicon Valley-designed electric car's lovely cameras, inadequate radar, and missing lidar.

This thread is so we can discuss these and Elon Musk's victim blaming as they inevitably continue to happen, whether it's the fault of the car not detecting a semi truck because it was white, the driver getting or giving a blowjob as the car detected it was about to crash and ceded control to them, or a hacker uploading a firmware that caused the car to attempt to accelerate to 255 mph through a school.

As not too many autodrive cars are on the streets yet, let's also talk about when they ram into things in garages and driveways as they haltingly attempt to park themselves and refuse to stop when commanded.

Have "fun!"

e:

Smythe posted:

94 mph autopilot, or, how I learned to stop steering and love Elon's Guillotine

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

According to the truck driver, Brown was watching Harry Potter just before he turned himself into a piece of trivia.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I hope more people find a way to remove themselves from the gene pool by thinking their traffic-aware cruise control will 100% drive their car for them.

The truck driver is also probably going to face criminal charges for pulling out onto the highway without enough space.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/1/12085218/tesla-autopilot-crash-investigation-radar-automatic-emergency-braking

quote:

The Florida Highway Patrol is leading the criminal investigation into the crash, which is expected to take several months to complete. A FHP spokesperson told The Verge that criminal charges are pending the completion of the investigation. Those charges are expected to be filed against the truck driver who turned left in front of the Tesla.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 2, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yes having a semi turn in front of your car without stopping or looking going 80 mph makes you deserving of death and ridicule.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

Yes having a semi turn in front of your car without stopping or looking going 80 mph makes you deserving of death and ridicule.

Gorson posted:

According to the truck driver, Brown was watching Harry Potter just before he turned himself into a piece of trivia.

i'd say that if it's true, watching harry potter while driving makes you deserving of death and ridicule

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

I hope more people find a way to remove themselves from the gene pool by thinking their traffic-aware cruise control will 100% drive their car for them.

This. also if you can't be arsed to actually drive a car, but instead watch harry motherfucking potter and MISS a 75' long, 13' tall, 8' wide truck, do me a favor and gently caress off and die. You're the exact loving reason why A. I hate driving. B. I wear brown trousers on the moto.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
The cause of the accident is definitely the truck driver, but it could possibly have been avoided by the driver if he were paying attention. I hope this puts autopilot features off for several decades.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Self driving technology has been proven to be perfectly safe even at racing speeds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsnKzK6dX8Q

...As long as you're on a closed and pre-programmed course, of course. :v:

Also that bit of foreshadowing at around the 2:20 mark is :perfect:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 3, 2016

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

This guy is not dead, yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXls4cdEv7c

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do jeeps count?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

he's gonna be soon

Powershift posted:

Do jeeps count?

let's leave mechanical autopilot for another thread

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the tesla man who went under a truck is the harambe of cars

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
I just want flying cars that leap frog over inconsiderate rear end in a top hat semi drivers who pull out into traffic. And maybe a LIDAR retrofit, I'll even pay!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I just want my dystopia full of Yamaha 4 pot cafe racers and leather

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Our Lexus has radar cruise control, I just realized i can totally take a nap in traffic!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

Our Lexus has radar cruise control, I just realized i can totally take a nap in traffic!

I can't wait until municipalities figure this out and abandon the grid system for loving awesome twisties, chicanes and Chicago boxes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I can't wait until municipalities figure this out and abandon the grid system for loving awesome twisties, chicanes and Chicago boxes.

Stop trying to gently caress with my naps jerk :colbert:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Can we have another thread for every time someone is killed by a human driver?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ColdPie posted:

Can we have another thread for every time someone is killed by a human driver?

go ahead but you're gonna have to maintain it

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I thought that was what the horrible drivers thread was.... :v:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How many mouth breathing hambeasts killed themselves on the road while knocking back the last of their Big Gulp that same day?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

julian assflange posted:

How many mouth breathing hambeasts killed themselves on the road while knocking back the last of their Big Gulp that same day?

The existence of terrible people is a pretty piss poor argument for automation.

I mean, I admit I'm biased because I don't want my vehicle making choices about who lives and dies for me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, I admit I'm biased because I don't want my vehicle making choices about who lives and dies for me.

I don't want German car manufacturers to make that choice, that's for sure. I drive by a synagogue every morning.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

julian assflange posted:

2015 figures for the USA average out to 89.5 fatalities per day for road traffic accidents, I haven't gone through the data to see how many were drivers and how many were drinking big gulps, but guess at least 5 a day?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Liquid Communism posted:

Absolutely but I'm curious as to why such a big deal is being made of this when it was bound to happen some day. Are we headed for a situation now where even accident involving a self driving car will automatically be blamed on the self driving vehicle?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

VikingSkull posted:

I just want my dystopia full of Yamaha 4 pot cafe racers and leather

A future where AI driven cars are bullied by gangs of bike punks who force the cars to stop and rob the passengers blind before speeding 'off grid'

There's also this which looks like the producers were ahead of their time:

http://jalopnik.com/how-this-obscur...dium=socialflow

quote:

Imagine a future full of electric cars where everyone’s a passenger. Where traffic is not only managed but controlled by a digital network. Where on-demand ride-sharing services have become the norm, and the only human drivers are emergency crews behind the wheel of super-fast vintage “antiques” tasked with taking down AI cars that have gone haywire.

Some of that sounds like the vision of today’s automakers, city planners, tech visionaries and the like, who all salivate at the thought of removing the human element from our roadways as much as possible. Recent developments in driverless technology are surprisingly close to the vision of autonomy portrayed in Kōsuke Fujishima’s 2000 Japanese anime series éX-Driver, which has even more to say about what could become our future in transportation.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 5, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
All I want is someone to pay me to heel-toe a Lotus Europa while I take down Three Laws Unsafe Teslas with a grappling hook.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

julian assflange posted:

Absolutely but I'm curious as to why such a big deal is being made of this when it was bound to happen some day. Are we headed for a situation now where even accident involving a self driving car will automatically be blamed on the self driving vehicle?

A Self Driving Tesla Decapitated A Dude

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

All I want is someone to pay me to heel-toe a Lotus Europa while I take down Three Laws Unsafe Teslas with a grappling hook.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

julian assflange posted:

Absolutely but I'm curious as to why such a big deal is being made of this when it was bound to happen some day.

It's not that big of deal. Some guy abused his advanced cruise control and got run over by a truck. Similar events happen multiple times every day.

It's the first high profile thing people that are against autonomous vehicles have to latch onto.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

crabcakes66 posted:

It's not that big of deal. Some guy abused his advanced cruise control and got run over by a truck. Similar events happen multiple times every day.

It's the first high profile thing people that are against autonomous vehicles have to latch onto.

It is also interesting in that the brake assist/radar cruise control/whatever completely did not detect the truck. In fact even after it passed through the truck it kept going. That is rather alarming because it failed not during a turn or whatever where it couldn't figure out where the road was, but because it couldn't detect a hazard directly in front of it at all.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

crabcakes66 posted:

*Some guy abused his advanced cruise control and it directed his car under a truck

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm going to invent a big metallized balloon that you can inflate and deploy out the back of your car to engage pursuing police cars' auto-braking.

e: I guess I just invented it. (c) sagebrush 2016 don't steal

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

A Self Driving Tesla Decapitated A Dude

A bad truck driver killed a dude and the dude killed was unable to stop because he was not driving attentitively. The failure of his cruise control doesn't change the facts.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

A bad truck driver killed a dude and the dude killed was unable to stop because he was not driving attentitively. The failure of his cruise control doesn't change the facts.

The feature marketed as "Autopilot", a safety feature, directed his car under a truck and cut his head off.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder how good the radar is at detecting a small off-center target like a motorcyclist riding in the tire track. I sure wouldn't want a speeding Tesla ramming me from behind because it was too bright out for the cameras and my radar return was too sparse.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

atomicthumbs posted:

The feature marketed as "Autopilot", a safety feature, directed his car under a truck and cut his head off.

Aircraft pilots must remain alert and attentive during "autopilot," as well. This thread is premature, there is no such thing as a "self-driving" car available to the public.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Aircraft pilots must remain alert and attentive during "autopilot," as well. This thread is premature, there is no such thing as a "self-driving" car available to the public.

Yes, because anyone without some sort of interest in aviation knows what an autopilot actually does.

Go to literally anywhere and ask someone what an airplane's autopilot does and they'll say, 95% of the time, "it flies the plane."

Pedantry doesn't work in marketing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
this thread is stupid and you're concern trolling.

Also as someone who drives approximately 50k miles a year, I would rather be surrounded by self driving cars than the loving morons I see every day. I dodge at least 1-3 accidents per day that could have been avoided by someone:
- not dicking with their phone / eating / picking their nose / slapping their kids / staring blankly into space while driving
- looking at their loving mirrors before changing lanes into me, occasionally for absolutely no reason
- tailgating for no reason whatsoever
- turning on their goddamned lights before driving around in a silver car in thick fog/snow/rain or a black car in the dark
- getting their car out of the travel lanes of a major interstate highway instead of just standing there next to it as traffic whizzes past because they got a flat tire or don't want to disturb the evidence of an extremely minor fender bender before the cops arrive

gently caress it, I'll take death by Tesla over death by moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
This is the stupidest loving thread.

I don't even like self driving cars but this is seriously some knee-jerky GBS level poo poo here.

• Locked thread