Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Problem description:

My end goal is to have a server that can network boot a bunch of laptops and run a kiosk Linux distribution that directs to a locally hosted website.

Here's what I have:

1. Decent desktop (the server) with Ubunty 12.04 desktop installed and hosting the .iso image for the laptops to boot from
2. Old laptops (the clients) with enough power and memory to run Porteus Kiosk, the kiosk distribution I've decided on
3. 24 port switch to connect the server with the clients
4. Another computer that acts as the server to host the internal website

I have been able to successfully follow the Porteus Kiosk guide and get a laptop to boot over the network. In my case, we have no need or desire for anything to be connected to the public Internet. Ideally everything will run on this unconnected LAN.

My trouble begins with trying to get IP addresses for all of the nodes of this network. When I have things hooked up to my home network every node is getting a local IP address. When I remove the Internet connection the IP addresses go away even though I thought I was running a DHCP server. I'm using the dnsmasq program as suggested by Porteus Kiosk. I've messed with the config file for dnsmasq but can not seem to get it to start dishing out IP addresses to the nodes.

What might be wrong and is what I'm trying to accomplish possible in the first place, namely giving IP addresses to nodes on a network that aren't connected to the Internet?

Attempted fixes:

I've tried restarting network services as well as dnsmasq when the server is not connected to the Internet. When I do this the server and all clients connected by the switch lose their IP addresses.

Recent changes:

I haven't made any recent changes to anything. It's a fresh Ubuntu install and I added the dnsmasq and webfs packages to get the PXE booting to work.

--

Operating system: Ununtu 12.04 LTS 64-bit desktop edition

System specs: An older Dell desktop. The hardware appears to be running fine.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

telcoM posted:

When you disconnect the external network, your server host cannot give itself an IP address through DHCP: that would be a bit of a Catch-22.

I can see how the server can't give itself an address through DHCP but it should be able to have a static IP address if it were running dnsmasq and not connected the the internet, correct?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

telcoM posted:

Sure it can, and I would almost say it _must_ have that.

The server needs to have a valid IP address configuration for itself before it can serve others, even just for DHCP.

Can the server, not connected to the internet, assign itself an IP address if it's not connected to the internet or router?

The setup I'm trying to work out isn't connected to the internet at all. I'll download the necessary packages to the server with an internet connection then relocate the server to a location without internet access where the server will need to have an IP address and lease IP addresses to clients located on this internet-less LAN. Will dnsmasq do this?

• Locked thread