Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hseFdKcCD4

:siren: :siren: DISCOVERY CHAT GO HERE :gowron: :gowron:

USE SOME SPOILER BARS IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK DISCOVERY HERE, and we'd really prefer if you just went to the Discovery thread, since we got folks with strange surreal TV-watching schedules who will die of polywater intoxication otherwise! This policy will probably go away after the first season ends, sometime.

Anyway, where were we? Ah yes:

Space: the final frontier.

These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise (occasionally a space station or a smaller, cheaper ship instead). Its continuing mission: to explore strange new derails, to seek out new posts and new production information, and to boldly post where no man one person goon has shat before.

Star Trek has been a major influence in TV culture for nearly fifty years. With multiple television series, an independent set of feature films, and a new online series in the offing, the franchise continues forwards. In many ways modern fandom has evolved from Star Trek fandom, though this is definitely a "for better or worse" kind of situation.

Our last thread went for a good thousand pages over the course of three years, and so it is time to start fresh.

I HEAR THERE'S A NEW TV SHOW?

There's going to be some sort of new Trek program in the near future. It's going to be on CBS All Access so people have a reason to subscribe to that probable poo poo show. It seems to be set in the "JJ Trek"/"Kelvin Timeline" and will feature boldly going, etc. This could be wonderful and new, and it could also be poo poo. Fortunately, as Trek fans, we are familiar with bIj.

e: EXCITING UPDATES. The show is called Star Trek: Discovery or something close to it, I don't even know. It's going to be on CBS All Access, and it'll have reduced ads - only twelve minutes!! Aren't you excited!? Those not in :usa: get the privilege of just watching it on Netflix.

Official info summary as of Stardate 0912.16:

e2: Looks like Discovery got pushed back to May-ish '17. Hopefully Domald Tromp won't ban it. No big news otherwise except that apparently Netflix paid for it with a big enough sack of gold-pressed latinum that CBS can't lose money on the deal now, even if literally nobody watches it. All Gorn remain gay.

e3:

Timby posted:

So ... what's Star Trek: Discovery?
In late 2014 and throughout 2015, rumors began to circulate that CBS was exploring the possibility of bringing Star Trek back to television in some form or another. After talking with several potential producers, CBS finally announced in early 2016 that Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Hannibal) would be the executive producer of the new series alongside Alex Kurtzman. As conceived by Fuller, its first season will be a 13-episode single story arc.

So Trek is back on TV?
Not quite. CBS originally intended for Discovery to be the centerpiece of the launch of its All Access streaming service, and the international streaming rights were sold to Netflix. But the first season, in North America, is going to be exclusive to All Access, which costs $9.99 a month and is such a tremendous piece of crap that CBS has already allied with Hulu to use Hulu's backend for live streaming. On a positive note, Les Moonves is on the record as saying that the international Netflix deal covered at least half of the production budget for the first season.

HOWEVER, the pilot episode will be broadcast on CBS proper. All further episodes will be on the All Access service.

Oh. But Bryan Fuller is running it? That's AWESOME!
Not quite. While Fuller conceived the show, assembled the team of writers and producers, came up with his overall story for the first season and wrote the first two episodes ... but Fuller is a notorious perfectionist and isn't known for moving at a terribly speedy pace. Later in 2016, there were rumors that there was a delay imminent (the show was originally slated to start filming in August for a January launch, and by September there still were no casting announcements), and then rumors started to fly that Fuller might be taking a reduced role -- which was soon announced. While it was originally said that Fuller was still actively involved in the show and would be working with the writers, just not handling the day-to-day operations, Fuller himself later confirmed that his involvement with Discovery was over -- beyond the story concept and having written the first two scripts, he is now completely out of the picture, though he retains his "created by" and executive producer titles.

Oh. Well, that sucks. Who IS involved, then?
The day-to-day executive producers are Gretchen Berg and Heather Kadin, with Akiva Goldsman lending support in the writers' room. Both Berg and Kadin have experience working on Alex Kurtzman's television shows. A number of Trek alumni are involved, as well: Nicholas Meyer is on board as a consulting producer who is also working on scripts; Next Generation / DS9 / Voyager writer Joe Menosky is on board as a writer; Rod Roddenberry has an executive producer title.

Huh. Okay, that might work. So what's it about?
Discovery is set ten years prior to The Original Series, per Fuller, though it's unclear if he means literally ten years prior to "Where No Man Has Gone Before" or if he's being cagey and suggesting it's ten years prior to "The Cage." In any event, the show's first season will cover "an incident in the history of Starfleet that had been talked about but never fully explored." What that means is anyone's guess, but some ideas include the Tarsus IV blight or something to do with the Romulans.

And the ship?
Based upon Ralph McQuarrie's rejected Enterprise design from Planet of the Titans, the USS Discovery is ... ugly as poo poo.

Who's on it?
Discovery will be the first Star Trek show not to focus upon the ship's commanding officer as the central character. Currently announced cast members include:

- Sonequa Martin-Green as Rainsford: The lieutenant commander of the USS Discovery, referred to as "Number One."
- Doug Jones as Saru: An alien Science Officer serving as a lieutenant aboard the Discovery.
- Anthony Rapp as Stamets: A Science Officer specializing in astromycology (the study of fungi in space). He is openly gay.
- James Frain as Sarek

Michelle Yeoh has been cast in a recurring role as the captain of the USS Shenzhou, while Shazad Latif (Spooks) will recur as the commanding officer of a Klingon ship.

When's it coming?
As I said earlier, it was originally intended to begin showing in January of this year. In September, it was announced that the show had been delayed to May. Earlier this month, it was announced that it had been delayed again, this time to an indefinite date in the future. Production began the week of January 23.

What timeline is it set in?
Timeline?! This is no time to argue about time. We don't have the time.

What was I saying? Oh, right. Discovery is set in the Prime Timeline. Don't worry if you hate the reboot movies, because this isn't part of that universe.

---

There, just link to this giant effort post whenever we start going through the same half-dozen questions about Discovery.

WHAT STAR TRUCKS SHOULD I WATCH?

This is a complex question but the consensus of the last OP is that you're best served by starting in seasons 2 through 6 of TNG. TNG is episodic other than some two-parters so you can watch out of order. From there, DS9 is generally considered to be "the best." All of the shows have high points, though some of them (Voyager) have much lower lows.

TELL ME ABOUT STAR TREKS

I'm glad you asked.

The Original Series

This is where it all began. You can see where things hadn't yet been decided or settled on, but the strong performances, anchored by the three leads in Bones, Spock and Kirk, carry through, even if some episodes are completely preposterous. While it's definitely a product of its time (Turnabout Intruder) this is also where the first interracial kiss on television happened.

Definitely campy.
e: BULLETIN FOR NEW VIEWERS: Don't start with "The Cage"! It's kind of bad. Or at least, not typical. You should, if you intend to watch all the Start Trucks in order, begin with "The Man Trap." Don't worry, you'll see this content along the way.

The Animated Series

In many ways the unfilmed 4th and 5th seasons of TOS, the Animated Series is a side branch but has some real highlights, and they had the singular advantage of being unhindered by a special effects budget.

They had many disadvantages. In my opinion, this is the best Star Trek to watch while drinking.

The Next Generation

Probably the most impactful of the series because it went on for seven seasons, and of them, five of them were quite excellent. This defines the environment where Deep Space 9 and Voyager take place. Generally episodic, but the first season is rather wonky and the seventh season shows definite signs of running out of ideas.

Something to keep in mind for newbs is that the first season got rough in a few places and in many cases was recycled scripts for an aborted "Star Trek: Phase II" or something like that, which was going to be more of a direct sequel to TOS.

Deep Space Nine

Set in a space station, DS9 examines the universe that the rest of Star Trek has created. It tears it down but finds the core within it. Generally thought by the thread collective to be the finest, it has story arcs like your modern prestige dramas about middle aged white men destroying their lives. That guy up there? He's the tailor on the space station. You'll like him. His story is important.

This is one you want to watch in order, though the first season can be a bit of a slog - no worse than TNG's less stellar episodes, though.

Voyager

Voyager has some moments and strong characters (Tuvok, the Doc, Seven at times) but is held by the collective to be the weakest of the series. It has fans nonetheless, but the premise was in many ways squandered. Nonetheless it's apparently very popular in the fan community.

Enterprise

It's a prequel series, though it denied it for a while. Many interesting ideas but hit or miss performance, though like many Trek series it starts to get interesting in season 3 -- shame it ended in season 4.

so what do you talk about here in this thread

Hyperriker, the previous original post, said it best:

Hyperriker posted:

Post about your opinions of episodes or arcs. Post about future tech, about Earth as a utopia while fringe colonies suffer, about the Federation eating other cultures by forcing a unified government before allowing membership and forcing adherence to its own political structure. Talk about how the Klingons are a stagnant blight on the galaxy, or talk about the Man Skirt. Talk about the Traveler, or the Kazon, or motherfucking Wesley. Talk about the Beard and the Impact of the Beard.

ENGAGE!

can i talk about the movies

Based on established practice, yes, though if it's a real hard in depth focus on the films it should probably go to Cinema Discusso.

Similarly, talk about other sci fi TV shows (Farscape, B5, BSG, Lexx, etc.) comes up here and there. That's alright, because that's okay.

how about other licensed material bullshit

I do believe that's wholly kosher, though if we have lengthy extended derails about Diane Duane's Romulans or similar we might want to move those things to new threads. But personally I'd rather you post Trek stuff that isn't perfectly about the TV shows, than not post at all. I adhere even now to the tenets of Scientific Posting.

That said, if you'd like to talk a lot about F2P timesink grindfest MMOs featuring your licensed property, you can discuss Star Trek Online with the friendly folks of Starfleet Dental.

I'll put more links to Trek-related threads or content as we go along.

WHAT'S BIJ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqqsL0EqASM

Nessus fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

More stuff here if we need it at any point.

Walk of shame from the last thread:

quote:

Snak 1578
Blade_of_tyshalle 1386
MikeJF 1360
Farmer Crack-rear end 1230
Sash! 1073
Nessus 686
Otisburg 656
Apollodorus 632
Tighclops 629
Cojawfee 616

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

There's only one proper way to kick this bad boy off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZS2-4-iUJ4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad I'm not number one in posts in the thread anymore.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sanguinia posted:

Ugh, this is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the week.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Sanguinia posted:

But where are the flying cars, I was promised flying cars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm6pvHPSGo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bit of Beyond nerdery:

they didn't move the neck forward, but I guess it's the next best thing.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
New Star Trek thread? Beam me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpcjgYHE4U

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Bij is good. The Bij is life.

Contribution: let's get groovy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMzlCraHNS4

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jean Luc, Geordi's Specs,
Mysteries on the Holodecks!
Asteroids, Triple Droids,
Telepathic Betazoids!
Transporter Deadly Claw
Visitor from LA Law!
Photons, No Kirk,
Captain has gone berserk!
Shuttlecraft, Counselor Troi,
Doctor Crusher's little boy!
Klingon Rites, Parasites, New Heights, Phaser Fights,

Data's Head, Tasha's Dead,
Riker's Hangin' by a thread!
Celebration, Transformation,
Everyone to battle stations!

We didn't start the series, It's the Next Generation on your favorite station We didn't start the series, But when we are gone it will still be on and on and on... We didn't start the series...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_9eGjZoYoc

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 3, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What is this? Some sort of primitive social network?

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Posting in a star trek thread is preferable to doing anything else on a Saturday night :3:

Also, season 1 of Enterprise is insanely bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The last thread ran for three years, which means this is the animated series and 1/4 of us are the same guy with different accents

also I dropped out of the last thread for nearly a year but I'm still #12 on that list. Someone please help me.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The last thread ran for three years, which means this is the animated series and 1/4 of us are the same guy with different accents

also I dropped out of the last thread for nearly a year but I'm still #12 on that list. Someone please help me.

If we're in TAS then we're going to have to purchase a bunch of inexplicably pink avatars.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

FYI DS9, TNG, and TOS are on Canadian Netflix.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Acer Pilot posted:

FYI DS9, TNG, and TOS are on Canadian Netflix.

Eddington is pleased

Kinada :shrug:

Serioulsy this is the closest to a happy picture of him I can find. Bloke really needed to lighten up

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

One of you guys made this, right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrXKI3EJFU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

I'm perpetually behind threads like this so rarely make the cut. it keeps me sane on long overnight shifts at self-sealing stembolt factory. But hey, ground floor. Let's DO this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Forgot who said it In the last thread, but every captain should start the day by saying "Computer: alert security and bridge personnel if there is anyone that boards the ship, if the transporters are activated, if a shuttle craft attempts to leave or if a member of the crew leaves the ship. "

Personally, I think the ship starts off super verbose and it's so annoying everyone just turns off the minder messages.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Computer, please alert senior staff if Mr. La Forge or Mr. Barclay enter the holodeck

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This should be included in the OP's Voyager writeup:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777056&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Next time they put into a starbase they should simply have the holodecks removed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

here's my favorite scene in star track please enjoy it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD-SJh8szjA

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Enterprise is on Canadian Netflix too. No Voyager :dukedog:

E: I was wrong, all the shows are here. Woah

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 3, 2016

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I could never get into Star Trek because while space travel is believable, the idea of time travel is patently absur...

Disregard. It's 1991 and I'm in Albany, NY.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

S1E9 of TNG "The Battle": For revenge, an alien race that believes women shouldn't wear clothes and turbo-capitalism gaslight, trigger, and torture Picard, leaving you to wonder if they write their reports like "(((Picard)))" :v:

I know I'm still super early into the show, but this one was pretty drat Good! This is the first one that really got me into the story. I'm amazed that within a couple of episodes the Ferengi went from dweeby hyperactive goblins to an actual threat.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PenguinKnight posted:

I know I'm still super early into the show, but this one was pretty drat Good! This is the first one that really got me into the story. I'm amazed that within a couple of episodes the Ferengi went from dweeby hyperactive goblins to an actual threat.

It doesn't last.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_khUyboA0s

Don't miss STAR TREK-- IN COLOR!

That old NBC logo was something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PenguinKnight posted:

S1E9 of TNG "The Battle": For revenge, an alien race that believes women shouldn't wear clothes and turbo-capitalism gaslight, trigger, and torture Picard, leaving you to wonder if they write their reports like "(((Picard)))" :v:

I believe their original plan was for the Ferengi to be the modern-day version of the Klingons as recurring antagonists, but it just didn't all gel well for whatever of a thousand reasons, so they didn't do that. I do think that the Ferengi are (accidentally) the most nuanced alien race Trek ever presents, though.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Nessus posted:

I do think that the Ferengi are (accidentally) the most nuanced alien race Trek ever presents, though.
This is entirely due to the efforts of Armin Shimerman.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nessus posted:

I HEAR THERE'S A NEW TV SHOW?

There's going to be some sort of new Trek program in the near future. It's going to be on CBS All Access so people have a reason to subscribe to that probable poo poo show. It seems to be set in the "JJ Trek"/"Kelvin Timeline" and will feature boldly going, etc. This could be wonderful and new, and it could also be poo poo. Fortunately, as Trek fans, we are familiar with bIj.

I wasn't aware they'd said anything about that yet..? :confused:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I enjoy "Star Trek."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Bit of Beyond nerdery:

they didn't move the neck forward, but I guess it's the next best thing.

Having read that interview with Justin Lin I understand why they made the changes they did and appreciated the ideas behind them but there is seemingly no way for this design to not look like an ugly composite of thoughts from superior versions of the ship is there hahaha

It looks like a child's drawing of the Enterprise given form

Anyway, good OP but I don't think the new show has had it's place in an established continuity confirmed yet and as always #RikersBeard still exists on synIRC.net

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Nessus posted:

Oh, cool! I made it this time!

Pretty big gap between the 1000+ club and the 600s, though.

Um, real content...poo poo, I dunno. Here's my holistic ranking of the Trek series from favorite to least favorite:

DS9
TNG
TOS
VOY
ENT
(TAS not included b/c I've only seen like 2 episodes ever)

And the films:

Wrath of Khan
Undiscovered Country
First Contact
Voyage Home
Star Trek
The Motion Picture
Search for Spock
Generations
Into Darkness
Final Frontier
Insurrection*
Nemesis*

(*I have no interest in ever watching again unless under extreme duress, such as if I have a kid who REALLY wants to see them)

And to channel my 11-year-old self, my favorite starships in terms of coolness of appearance:

Excelsior
Enterprise-A/refit
Enterprise-E
Reliant
Enterprise-TOS
Enterprise-D
Defiant
Enterprise-ENT
Voyager
Grissom

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
ENT worse than VOY?...Eh, I can kind of see it, but drat if it ain't a close race.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Apollodorus posted:

Oh, cool! I made it this time!

drat your arrogance!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Well, I watched basically all of Voyager from age 10 to age 16, developed an appreciation for the characters, and was invested in how the series turned out. Enterprise I lost interest in after the first season, and only picked up a few episodes here and there. Season 4 was good, when I watched it 3 years after the show ended, but there's a big chunk of the show I've never watched and don't intend to.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
As much as people tell me there are good shows being made at the moment, I seem just to watch Star Trek and Stargate on loop. In general I each episode seems relatively fresh to me when I come back around to it every few years. I can't be the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

All right, which one of you guys made this page? Kinda weak jokes, I know, but outrage is outrage..

https://www.facebook.com/Garth-Alec-seek-Leaker-Is-it-YOU-290243024650080/?ref=all_category_pyml_rhc