Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wait for SDCC in about 3 weeks. You'll get casting announcements then (Fuller has said), and probably a ton more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yaphet Kotto as the President of the Federation
Clint Howard as the Captain
David Johansen as the Commander
Hugh Dancy as the Lt. Commander
Bill Duke as the Chief Engineer
Tito Ortiz as the Security Chief
Gary Oldman as Chief Medical Officer
Dennis Quaid as Head Cook
Milo Ventimiglia as Ship DJ
Dianna Agron as Wife of Ship DJ
Mark Ruffalo as Primary Klingon Antagonist
David Alan Grier as Primary Klingon Protagonist
Dustin Hoffman as Primary Gorn Antagonist
Tilda Swinton as Ancient Borg Queen
Kate Upton as Insane Hologram AI
Cameron Diaz as Fleet Admiral
Sissy Spacek as Head of Section 31
C. Thomas Howell as Sad Robot Clone
Andrew Dice Clay as Romulan Praetor

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Drone posted:

Has there really been anything about the new Trek series besides "it's gonna be in the Kelvin universe"? I have this deep fear that they're going to try to do Star Trek: The Next JJeneration and it's just going to be awful.

Has that been confirmed? I keep seeing it everywhere but I can't find any actual information about it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure there is next to no information about the new series apart from some of the staff working on it (producers, writers and directors) and that it'll be on that CBS streaming service in the US.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Soviet Commubot posted:

Has that been confirmed? I keep seeing it everywhere but I can't find any actual information about it.
Honestly it would make sense. If it was in the official "canon" universe they're going to be beholden to the TNG/DS9/Voyager stuff which, while in many cases great, was twenty-one seasons of television.

Meanwhile if they set it in this alternate timeline they can draw from that well if they want but they're not going to be "doing it wrong." They could have stuff about the Bajoran resistance. They could introduce the Borg. Have the Mirror Universe be the Fedora Corps under Ferengi hegemony, whatever.

It would make sense to place it long enough after the JJ Trek films to avoid the problem of "OK, so where's the guys who now command feature film salaries?"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nessus posted:

It would make sense to place it long enough after the JJ Trek films to avoid the problem of "OK, so where's the guys who now command feature film salaries?"

It's also conceivable that they place the series around the time of the Kelvin. That would keep it "canon" in both universes.

Seriously doubt they will though. My gut feeling says it's going to be in the JJ universe and most likely aroundish the same time as the new movies.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm down for a TNG reboot.

Edit:

:allears:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 4, 2016

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does CBS even have the rights to the events of the Kelvin Universe? They don't even have to say what time line it is in. They could just set it whenever they want and say "shut up nerd" when on of the captain's rib's is struck twice like xylophone yet plays two different tones.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Bit of Beyond nerdery:

they didn't move the neck forward, but I guess it's the next best thing.

Do you have these in larger than postage stamp size?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Cojawfee posted:

Does CBS even have the rights to the events of the Kelvin Universe? They don't even have to say what time line it is in. They could just set it whenever they want and say "shut up nerd" when on of the captain's rib's is struck twice like xylophone yet plays two different tones.

There has been zero confirmation of when its set. Just random nerd rumors so far. As for using the alternate timeline, its all up to how Paramount would like to license it and how much CBS would be willing to pay for it. Seeing as how neither company is backed into a wall like Sony was with Spiderman I don't see it happening.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was my thought. There's no point in paying Paramount to license the Kelvin Universe when it seems like they don't want the show to be related to any other Star Trek content except in name.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Why would they even need to pay Paramount licensing for that unless they actually used assets or original characters from the movies?

I hope they just don't even specify which timeline it's set in, just to have people drive themselves crazy over nothing.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 4, 2016

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Isn't the fact that STO now has the "Kelvin Timeline/JJPrise" stuff in game now hint that CBS and Paramount have an agreement on all this now and it's no longer an issue for CBS to use it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
:siren::siren::siren: No one knows when the new show is set :siren::siren::siren:

Literally all we know is

- a new show is being made
- Bryan Fuller is the showrunner
- several TNG/Voyager writers are returning
- Nick Meyer is involved in some capacity
- we'll get details at SDCC

Everything else that you've heard was just a rumor or speculation from some fan site

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nessus posted:

Honestly it would make sense. If it was in the official "canon" universe they're going to be beholden to the TNG/DS9/Voyager stuff which, while in many cases great, was twenty-one seasons of television.

Meanwhile if they set it in this alternate timeline they can draw from that well if they want but they're not going to be "doing it wrong." They could have stuff about the Bajoran resistance. They could introduce the Borg. Have the Mirror Universe be the Fedora Corps under Ferengi hegemony, whatever.

Since it's in a different timeline, they can do every plot again! :pseudo:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:siren::siren::siren: No one knows when the new show is set :siren::siren::siren:

Literally all we know is

- a new show is being made
- Bryan Fuller is the showrunner
- several TNG/Voyager writers are returning
- Nick Meyer is involved in some capacity
- we'll get details at SDCC

Everything else that you've heard was just a rumor or speculation from some fan site

There are a few other things that we know. S1 is going to be made up of 13 episodes that tell a serialized story. It's not going to be an anthology show. It's going to be released weekly instead of all at once. And we'll be seeing "lots of crews" in the story.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 4, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Marshal Radisic posted:

I've said this before, but the only reason to read the Shatnerverse books is to see the Reeve-Stevens spitballing their own ideas for the Trekverse. In The Return, they imagine the Borg having different "branches" that have different approaches to assimilation and expansion. One branch is more into biotech, one converts subjects into patterned energy (i.e. the guys V'ger ran into), and honestly it's way more interesting than anything canon Trek did with them after TNG ended.

Mind you, none of this holds a candle to their DS9 Millenium trilogy, where the second book pretty much becomes Trek's answer to WH40K, complete with Ayatollah Weyoun leading the Bajorans against the remains of Starfleet led by Alzheimer's Picard.

This sounds amazing, and no matter how poor the execution is it won't even come close to being the worst Trek book out there, provided it avoids graphic rape

Oh I read TNG book that was in the local library, I was kinda dreading it since the cover had Picard and Worf in their Nemesis uniforms and was covered in space radiation green. I was pleasantly surprised, instead of space battles it was about the Federation dealing with a galactic refugee crisis after another Borg attack. And the protagonists had to use diplomacy and negotiation to achieve their goals and resolve tensions within the Federation. Dealt with issues like racism and migration in a more nuanced way then Trek usually does. The action took place in alien worlds that really were alien and not just people with bits of rubber on their faces.

The annoying character was annoying on purpose and he got killed, and Riza had been destroyed meaning no more captains holiday style stories.

Memory Beta tells me its called losing the peace though the covers a bit different.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Friendship ended with Elim Garak. Kira Juno is my friend now.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

MikeJF posted:

I can't remember if that was the one where he married a smoking hot half-Klingon-half-Romulan chick, or was that one of the other ones.

The Shatnerverse is one long string of novels, he meets that chick in the second or third one or something.

Then they have a kid who ends up being Human/Klingon/Romulan Jesus because the whole purpose of the Preservers spreading life around the galaxy was to make a being who could magically re-battery the galactic barrier, because that barrier was keeping out the evil subspace nanomachine consciousness thing that wanted to assimilate the entire galaxy.

Apparently Humans, Klingons, and Romulans are the three races 'closest' to the perfect genetic mix, so having a tri-breed unlocked the Space Jesus powers.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's weird that outside my work theres like 15 spots reserved for the chick who played Kira. Even if she did drop by is she gonna have that big an entourage?

:v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Since it's in a different timeline, they can do every plot again! :pseudo:
The great plots are eternal. Man vs. Nature. Man vs. Self. Man vs. Cyborgs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Otisburg posted:

It's weird that outside my work theres like 15 spots reserved for the chick who played Kira. Even if she did drop by is she gonna have that big an entourage?

Gotta have a space for Nana, one for Bashir, and one for The Sisko.

The trick is juggling everyone so that they don't all meet up at the same time, sitcom style.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

The great plots are eternal. Man vs. Nature. Man vs. Self. Man vs. Cyborgs.

Woman vs Fear Clown

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Otisburg posted:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Watchin' "Take me out to the holosuite." Some enjoyable Trekkin'

edit: I wish I had some O'Brien-style scotch-flavored gum

edit2: I'd have to imagine a Vulcan's grip strength would make for a pretty nasty slider.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 4, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the future, thanks to advances in medicine, linguistics and family law, it will finally be possible to have four grandmothers capable of running a marathon. Mankind will finally discover the tetragrandmathon.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Arglebargle III posted:

In the future, thanks to advances in medicine, linguistics and family law, it will finally be possible to have four grandmothers capable of running a marathon. Mankind will finally discover the tetragrandmathon.

Does anyone find you amusing, or just insufferable?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSbg4LHVPyk

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I'm taking advantage of Netflix's generosity and watching a few random episodes of trek. I just watched DS9's second skin, its an alright episode, and would be a classic for Voyager. But one thing that sticks out to me is the crux of the episode relies on the Cardassians having incredibly convincing plastic surgery techniques. We see them do this throughout the series in several other episodes but I have to ask why bother? Apparently a routine medical scan* can detect Cardassian DNA making it kinda pointless for infiltration purposes.

*except for the times it can't.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 5, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Now, I know this is an rear end pull along the lines of Heisenberg Compensator's, but I would say that all spy's doing disguise work would likely have a little gizmo on or in them that gives false readings to medical scanners.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

If the infiltration had been real, I guess the Order could've been betting on the Bajoran resistance lacking the resources to scan people's DNA or whatever. As part of the deception, maybe they just assumed Kira wouldn't connect the dots for some reason. I think they considered her in those days to be just a grunt running errands, right?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Delsaber posted:

If the infiltration had been real, I guess the Order could've been betting on the Bajoran resistance lacking the resources to scan people's DNA or whatever. As part of the deception, maybe they just assumed Kira wouldn't connect the dots for some reason. I think they considered her in those days to be just a grunt running errands, right?

If this was one of the "this is in one episode then vanishes never to be heard of again" things I could see the use infiltrating the Bajoran resistance who wouldn't have sophisticated equipment. But later episodes show that this is standard Obsidian Order procedure with all their enemies. Including the Federation, which if anything is technologically superior to the Cardassians.

In Voyager the Doctor discovers Seska's secret by preforming a routine diagnosis on an injured member of the crew. If a medic could blow your cover without actively trying it seems like a pretty big problem when you're supposed to be infiltrating for years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Seska was infiltrating the Maquis, not Starfleet, though. Maybe she did have tech that would fool the lovely sensors and tricorders in the badlands, but Voyager's stuff could see through it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Gaz-L posted:

Seska was infiltrating the Maquis, not Starfleet, though. Maybe she did have tech that would fool the lovely sensors and tricorders in the badlands, but Voyager's stuff could see through it.

Yeah but the Maquis was made up of Star Fleet personnel and nicked federation tech and the Cardassians thought the Federation was supplying the Maquis on the sly so that's a really big risk to take, the Doc seems to just accidentally find out using standard gear. And I just remembered in the DS9 episode were O'Brien is put on trial in Cardassia the bloke who framed him was an Order agent posing as a Star Fleet member. And again Bashir just scans him and proves his DNA isn't human.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

My building has this;

http://imgur.com/lKGvLxC

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah but the Maquis was made up of Star Fleet personnel and nicked federation tech and the Cardassians thought the Federation was supplying the Maquis on the sly so that's a really big risk to take, the Doc seems to just accidentally find out using standard gear. And I just remembered in the DS9 episode were O'Brien is put on trial in Cardassia the bloke who framed him was an Order agent posing as a Star Fleet member. And again Bashir just scans him and proves his DNA isn't human.
My guess is the Cardies have the same "make you a member of a different loving species" technology the Federation pulls out a few times in TNG, but their version is either not as good or has distinct tells which got into the standard scan batteries due to the known tensions with the spying, infiltrating spoonheads.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Is there any reason to watch TNG/DS9/VOY in air order rather then just watch each series and then move on to the next? Were there much in the way of crossovers?

I know Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel had a few where you had to bounce back and forth between the shows to get the most out of the story, anything like that on Star Trek?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Spalec posted:

Is there any reason to watch TNG/DS9/VOY in air order rather then just watch each series and then move on to the next? Were there much in the way of crossovers?

Not really, although you can tell when a new spin off started. As far as I remember, the Enterprise chats with Quark on the viewscreen, and one episode of DS9 is partly centered around the creator of Voyager's EMH who's played by the same actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spalec posted:

I know Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel had a few where you had to bounce back and forth between the shows to get the most out of the story, anything like that on Star Trek?

Briefly between TNG and DS9. A single crossover and the running Marquis storyline. It's episodic enough you don't need to bounce episode-to-episode, though.