Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

And it finally got a western release along with the other Game Gear games included in Adventure DX and Gems Collection. I thought it was kinda interesting what the comics did with her, making her a troll and twin sister of the wizard Naugus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
You guys run an emulator right? Since you mention the limited screen real estate I'm a bit surprised you don't just use the Master System versions when available, it at least would have made the first boss in Sonic 2 a bit more bearable.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I decided to watch a playthrough of the GameGear version of Spinball after you guys finished it on Genesis. That version has really long credits, and at the end it tells the player to go to sleep.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Wow, you're really planning on watching the entire series? When I saw the vid pop up over the weekend I figured it would just a one off, that's pretty cool. Any plans to visit the myriad other Sonic cartoons, if only to just watch an episode or two?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I'm glad to see you guys finally encountered one of Robotnik's ~Deadly Speed Traps~tm in Ice Cap Act 1.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kurieg posted:

The zords between the Dinozords and Ninjazords that you were thinking of the Thunderzords. Which were a Red Dragon, Black Lion, Yellow Gryphon, Blue Unicorn, and Pink Phoenix.

And to note, the five main Thunderzords did indeed show up before the Tiger Zord. And on dinosaur talk, I recall that the Triceratops was recently concluded to just be a juvenile Torosaurus. The stuff about the T-rex was new to me though.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised you are all doing the beta - I figured if you were going to you would have done it before Sonic 2.

Heck, aren't there enough leaked betas and abortive games in the franchsie at this point that you could pretty much do an entire meta LP like you're doing just for those.

You can read about it here. Basically the Japanese speaking dev team just wanted a "dangerous" word for the title, it was alternately called Cyber City. It was meant to be a single act level after Metropolis and ultimately became Metropolis Act 3.

I also want to make a slight correction to the Sonic comic trivia brought up a few episodes ago. Robo-Robotnik was technically the Robotnik in the comics ever since issue 75 (and eventually reverted to a human thanks to alien shenanigans), but after the first Mega Man crossover the Super Genesis wave retconned the continuity and made him the foe from the beginning. Right now the current comics arc is actually going over the origin of the Freedom Fighters in the new continuity and sticking much closer to the games.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kurieg posted:

The super genesis wave also killed off like 99.999999% of the world's echidnas. And a couple hundred thousand other side characters.

Luckily most of those were Penders' army of awful OCs, but it did include some actual decent ones like Mina Mongoose too. Basically anyone not created by current comics staff got axed, including gray area characters like Scourge/Evil Sonic.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

ricdesi posted:

I've never been much a fan of Sonic 3D Blast, but John is, so at the very least there's gonna be a few that at least somebody on the channel likes. At the very least, it's a better isometric Sonic game than loving Sonic Labyrinth.

Still not sure on Genesis vs. Saturn, it's probably been the biggest debate for the SSLP we've had in preparation for it. We'll figure it out!

I'd recommend the Saturn version. Genesis is the one I usually see represented in Let's Plays and what more people are familiar with. It also has some historical relevance with the way it was pushed as The Saturn Sonic Game after X-treme's cancellation. It was also my first Sonic game so I've got some nostalgia bias.

Regarding the wine talk in the latest video, the sulphites most likely come from the grapes themselves. Grapes are usually treated with sulphur dioxide as a preservative, which is why you may have noticed your hands smelling a little weird after eating a bunch. Fun fact: Pour a bit of water and vinegar over the grapes to get the sulphur off, the vinegar will also leave them with a nice bit of tang to their flavor as well.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
You probably recognize the special stage music from Sonic's social media. They use that theme for the White Board Adventures videos.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
The Saturn was my first Sega system, and 3D Blast was my first Sonic game after being a fan for a long time thanks to the cartoons and comics. Game's obviously not perfect, but I'll always love the special stages and Richard Jacques' wonderful soundtrack. Rusty Ruin is probably my second favorite theme in the game, and since it sounds like an Enigma track I was always reminded of it whenever I saw the Pure Moods commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJSjrox_2s

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I've known about the Game.Com forever, but I hadn't actually bothered watching any footage of it before. It sounded like human music.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kurieg posted:

Everyone except Big has a trick that lets them move through levels quickly (perhaps most relevantly for you, Rick, if you do Amy's hammer attack in the air she'll land in a full run) But my favorite has to be Gamma, the balance between fast movement and the need to chain together kills is enjoyable in a way that the mech playstyle in SA2 isn't.

Big's trick is "know where Froggy is and just go straight there".

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
That thing on Tails' foot during the credits is the Jet Anklet, which you can find in the reservoir behind Twinkle Park. After Sonic all of the other characters have one required upgrade item and one optional one, and Big has four more somewhat lesser upgrades as well. I remember Knuckles' optional item was the hardest for me to track down as a kid.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Larryb posted:

I think you can do 2 players vs 2 computer controlled characters but I'm not 100% on that. Sonic Shuffle is one of only 2 Sonic games that I've actively avoided playing for myself (the other being Sonic Free Riders).

I drat near 100%'d Sonic Shuffle, I think I'm only missing like two mini event scenarios.

The biggest issue with Shuffle's multiplayer isn't the controllers, but the need for VMUs for each player. You can't see your cards on the TV screen unless you're playing single player. And they may decide to emulate anyway, in which case I don't even know if that makes VMU screens an option or not.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

ricdesi posted:

For games where there is a considerable difference between the two, such as different levels or gameplay, we will play both. ...I think that means all three, actually.

Also add Unleashed to the list, the PS2/Wii version is different from the PS360 version. It'll be fun to see which one pisses you off more.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Holy poo poo, I've never seen Beta take so long to do his charge attack. I'd never even considered whether Gamma's boss fights had time limits, aside from the ones during levels of course.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I"m not sure if you've started recording the Last story yet or not, but hearing you talk in episode 15 about the power ups you missed I'd say the only one you should really worry about Knuckles' item in Aquatic Mine. Otherwise you may find yourselves missing those halcyon days of Crazy Gadget being the most difficult level.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Another interesting point is that the test stage is not on the Dreamcast disc. It's only present in the data for Battle which was used as the basis for all future ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Ah yes, now that we've seen Biolizard I can finally share this

https://twitter.com/SPEEPSHighway/status/995795163388809217

Also relevant as of today;

https://twitter.com/SPEEPSHighway/status/1010317985934987264