Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So will you guys be playing Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles as seperate games or together as Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

For the longest time I didn't even realize that sky sanctuary, death egg, or doomsday existed because I only had S&K, and the lack of a save system meant that Knuckles was really the only character I could beat the game with in one sitting.

Of course with the stage select code you can force knuckles into Death Egg (which the game handles fairly well) or Doomsday (Which it most assuredly does not)

You can get him into the Death Egg but I'm pretty sure it's impossible for Knuckles to defeat the boss of Act 1 due to his smaller jump height.

In S3K with Debug mode on you can also use the stage select to force him into the Lava Reef boss area or Sonic's Sky Sanctuary (Knuckles does technically play the stage in his story but it's just a boss fight). You can also use it to force Tails into Doomsday (and unlike Sonic or Knuckles he's for some reason given infinite Rings in that stage) or have Sonic/Tails play Knuckles' version of Sky Sanctuary.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 11, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There's no commentary in the most recent Sonic3K video you uploaded to your channel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ricdesi posted:

Holy poo poo, the wait is FINALLY over! After a very eventful holiday / New Year / MAGFest season, our intended-for-Christmas special has finally arrived!

While this isn't strictly (or really, almost at all) part of The Super Sonic Let's Play, its ending does lead directly into the next Sonic game we're playing this afternoon. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPCr75miu5k

Nice to see you brought Seriesly back again. Though I should note that all the name changes in NT Warrior and NT Warrior Axess (such as Torchman, Moltanicman, etc.) are entirely the fault of the dub, the Japanese version uses the same names the games do. Speaking of which, are you planning on eventually covering the 3 seasons that weren't brought to the west as you get further into the Battle Network series?

Also, for later down the line if you want Battle Network 6's plot to make more sense to you I'd highly reccomend you play the Team Colonel version of Battle Network 5.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just a warning about Battle Network 4: The way the game is set up will require you to play through the entire thing start to finish multiple times just so you can unlock everything you need for the post-game stuff. This is probably going to be a long and painful slog for all of you so I'd reccomend you do one of the following:

A. Don't bother with the Post-Game this time around and just do one playthrough.

or

B. Edit repeat playthroughs so you're just showing off the new content and cut out the rest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 11, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ricdesi posted:

I definitely remembered it being a short game, it's such a shame since this is the start of a new trilogy with a new villain and all. You'd think they would have tried harder to make it stand on its own as a solid entry, but... well...

Anyway, let's keep this fucktrain on the trackball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dew8VbAMbu8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzaEo5yGkCw

Yeah 4 is probably the worst entry in the series for a lot of reasons. It is pretty short though, there are 3 scenarios per tournament plus 4 plot related ones in between (two of which end with you fighting the same boss).

Also there's a potentially gamebreaking glitch in one of Blue Moon's scenarios if you're playing on anything other than an original GBA (this not only includes emulation but also things like the SP and Game Boy Player, not sure if it got fixed in the Virtual Console release though). I think there might be some workarounds for it but if you haven't chosen which version you're doing yet you might want to stick with Red Sun just to be on the safe side.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 13, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the bad ending of Chaotix is a lot more interesting in my opinion. Also in regards to your X5 playthrough, you guys are aware you can duck in this game right (as well as in every game afterwards aside from Xtreme 2 and X8)? Because otherwise a later stage (and parts of X6) is going to be nearly impossible for you if you don't start learning to utilize it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

I'm guessing the only good one is Sonic 3D Blast?

Speaking of 3D Blast, will you guys be playing the Genesis or the Saturn/PC version of that game?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

A page late, but whichever version of 3D Blast you guys play, I hope you at least share links to the alternative version's soundtrack. Or make them alternative tracks for the videos, like you sort of talked about doing for Sonic CD. Because both soundtracks are great. I grew up with the Genesis one, but goddamn if the Saturn's version of Rusty Ruin isn't something amazing.

Agreed, I'd also argue that the Saturn version's Special Stages are better than the main game itself.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You buy parts with the souls you collected.

Also since Extreme mode this time around has all the story plus an extra stage at the end it might have just been easier to get a save that had that unlocked and start from there rather than having to go through the whole game three times (especially since Zero mode is literally the same as the X mode except he takes an alternate route in the intro stage and you fight the other four mavericks).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just so you know in regards to your Xtreme 2 playthrough, you did not actually load your clear game save when starting Zero's story (the auto save thing you encountered when choosing continue has nothing to do with your actual save, the game just makes a savestate whenever you hit a checkpoint), which means you will not unlock Xtreme mode (and with it the game's true final stage/ending) upon completing it.

If you had loaded the save you made after X's story you would have started with Zero's equivalent of the weapons from the 4 bosses you fought with X already in your possession (also you may have already saved over that file by now which means you'll either have to replay X's game or track down a save file if you want to show that bit of extra content off).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 24, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ricdesi posted:

Holy loving poo poo, we're alive again. And about time, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK1_8DZLbvw

That X6 finale took a shitload of the wind out of our sails, so we're still recovering, but we're getting back on our feet. I brought this video up in our Breath of the Wild thread as well, but we had a Patreon hangout last week where we talked about the status of a bunch of stuff, and The Super Sonic Let's Play was among them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGqWqu6xHDQ

Either way, looking forward to continuing with the series!

Ah, the last of the Game Gear games. I don't remember this game being completely terrible but it's not a great one either. Though technically wasn't Sonic 3D Blast released before this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

By the way, when you guys do finally reach the Adventure titles will you be playing the original Dreamcast versions or the remakes (SA DX doesn't really change much significantly aside from a graphical upgrade and a few extras here and there but SA2: Battle does make the treasure hunting sections a bit less tedious at least)?

Also as an aside, Sonic Blast for the Game Gear does have an extra boss at the end if you beat the final stage with all the Chaos Emeralds but it's really not worth the effort. If anyone's curious though, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcUan3YdFM

Also in regards to Sonic R itself, I have two things of note:

1. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles can all jump, which is how you get by the sections with water without losing speed. They also have special moves if you press the jump button again (Sonic does a double jump, Tails can fly but he can't ascend and Knuckles can glide but he can't climb walls). You might be able to a Spin Dash as well but I'm not completely sure about that.

2. Hitting a speed booster (the things with the floating black sign that reads "GO" above them) costs you rings, I'm not sure how many but the times you mentioned your rings suddenly dissapeared for no reason that was why.

Unrelated but in regards to your Battle Network 4 playthrough, in 4-6 you can skip cutscenes by pressing Select. Not sure why they changed it but there you go.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 7, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dzhay posted:

It begins.

Also: aagh! Where's that sprite from?

If you're talking about Big I'm pretty sure that's a fan creation as he's never appeared in a 2D Sonic game (aside from a cutscene in the DS version of Sonic Colors at least).

Speaking of which, once you guys reach that point will you be playing both the console and handheld versions of Colors, Generations and Lost World or just the console version?

Finally, assuming one of you has a Dreamcast you'll be suffering through Sonic Shuffle once Adventure is over (think Mario Party, only without any sense of fun or logic) so how are you going to handle that? Will you be trying the story mode or just do a multiplayer match?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 19, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

That would require them to have 4 dreamcast controllers, which I think is actually impossible.

I think you can do 2 players vs 2 computer controlled characters but I'm not 100% on that. Sonic Shuffle is one of only 2 Sonic games that I've actively avoided playing for myself (the other being Sonic Free Riders).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

You can, but the computer cheats like a motherfucker. it can see your cards at all times, even if you shuffle them.

Which I believe happens in Story Mode too so yeah, good luck with that one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, as someone who's played and beaten both games, You can safely ignore the Wii version of unleashed, everything salvageable about Wiileashed is in Colors.

To be fair to the Wii version I liked that there wasn't any forced medal collecting, extra lives were permanent (which means they were only available in certain optional areas), and the final boss fight was handled a little better. A shame the rest sucks though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ricdesi posted:

Urf, gonna be a lot of repetition then. Gonna be a tough sell to John too, I can already tell.

Let's end this Big story with a BANG.

Part 31: "Fat Magic"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGEp8cFRDa0

Part 32: "The Grossest Money Shot I've Ever Seen"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oosdyGchJtg

Yeah, if this is the route you're going down then with the exception of Black Knight, you'll technically be playing through every game from Unleashed onward twice (I suppose if you want to break up the monotony you could play both versions simultaneously in alternating videos or something but that's up to you). But you've still got a ways to go before you even have to worry about that so you've got plenty of time to figure things out.

Off the subject, but any idea yet when you plan to start your playthrough of the Kirby series back up again?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

To be fair, the 3ds versions of a lot of these games are substantially different(they're basically Sonic Rush 3 and 4), meaning Unleashed is the only one where you've got "The okay version" vs "God of Waggle".

And as someone who owns both of them, the story is basically exactly the same, the gameplay is the only thing that differs. Do not play the Wii/S2 version.

I am also curious about this.

You can avoid the waggle by playing with a Gamecube or Classic controller but yeah, the HD version is the superior product all things considered (not that that's saying much as that version isn't without it's own set of problems).

Also they're all pretty much the same plotwise but:

- Colors DS adds some optional bonus missions in every zone with cutscenes featuring the other cast members (which I think is the only work the current voice for Big has gotten in the Sonic series so far), the levels are obviously different due to being a 2D game, and it features a few new bosses including a tacked on Super Sonic boss after getting all the Chaos Emeralds.

- Generations 3DS has new levels and bosses but tells basically the same story minus all the characters that aren't Sonic, Tails, Eggman and their classic counterparts. Aside from the Special Stages it's also entirely in 2D for some reason.

- Lost World 3DS follows the same plot (complete with scenes ported directly from the console version) but removes several cutscenes, adds a few new Wisp powers, has the same zones as the Wii U version except the levels (which range from ok to terrible gimmick stages) and the way the boss fights work are changed entirely, and also has probably the worst Special Stages in the entire franchise (it uses gyroscope controls, which is going to be even worse for you since you'd be doing it while recording footage). Fortunately there's no extra boss that unlocks after getting the Emeralds so you're perfectly fine with just skipping them if you like (speaking of which, good luck if you're trying to go for the true endings of Sonic Advance 2 and 3, though I suppose you could always grab a save file off the internet if worst comes to worst).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 22, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, will you be doing a Knuckles playthrough of this game after you finish Sonic's story? As like in S3K he does have some significant differences in regards to level design and I think a few bosses as well.

There's also a secret boss if you collect all the emeralds as Sonic, but even if you don't manage to you can still play it anyway via the level select code (Hold B & Y on the title screen and press +, assuming you're playing the Switch version that is).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 23, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There actually is a Level Select code in this game (for the Switch version at any rate), hold B & Y as the title screen is loading up and then press any button. It also provides an alternate means of playing the true final boss if you don't manage to get all the emeralds in this playthrough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The flashing transparent capsules you were wondering about in the second video are other Wisp powers that unlock as you progress through the game, though you can only use the Wisp that corresponds to your currently equipped gun (you just got a new one at the end of the most recent video for example).

I assume you'll be covering Episode Shadow at some point in this playthrough as well eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

That's.. an inaccurate comparison, there's two people but you don't need to do any of the weird momentum things that you had to in chaotix, and holding down the R button will just summon your partner to your hands to do the team up move.

Personally I love Advance 3. But I also own a 32X so take that as you will.

Yeah, it's more like the concept of Tails following you in Sonic 2/3K/Mania only there's more options and different partners available to you.